RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6707|Oxferd Ohire
From north of Milwaukee up to Door County. Lot's of people below the limit.
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
War Man
Australians are hermaphrodites.
+563|6683|Purplicious Wisconsin

RTHKI wrote:

Go more south and you'll notice people speeding up.
The irony of guns, is that they can save lives.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

RTHKI wrote:

Sounds like a followup to "from Phoenix, Arizona all the way to Tacoma."
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6075|eXtreme to the maX

War Man wrote:

Last I checked people usually drive like drunken idiots(sometimes they actually are) or are just aggressive assholes. At least in the parts of Wisconsin I am from.
LMAO
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6707|Oxferd Ohire
There's nothing fun in southern wisconsin
uziq
+492|3422
https://www.lrb.co.uk/the-paper/v42/n20 … fter-covid

more good stuff. the LRB's china coverage during covid-19 has been exemplary. great flashes of insight into life in the country.

this bit made me laugh:

Before ruguan xue grabbed our attention, gongye dang (‘the technology party’ or ‘the industrial party’) was trending. We have a popular saying: America is run by lawyers; China is run by engineers. Engineers are pragmatic. Their key text is the science fiction writer Liu Cixin’s The Three-Body Problem, in which, as in most of his books, survival is everything, and scientists make tough choices, with no room for sentiment or useless humanists. When a New Yorker journalist asked Liu about the state of human rights in China, he replied: ‘That’s not what Chinese people care about. For ordinary folks, it’s the cost of healthcare, real-estate prices, their children’s education. Not democracy.’ And: ‘Here’s the truth: if you were to become the president of China tomorrow, you would find that you had no other choice than to do exactly as [Xi] has done.’*

An unwavering belief in perpetual technological progress, a lack of complacency and a readiness to face the next catastrophe (whether alien invasion, climate doomsday or a new world war) are the key sentiments of gongye dang. From the engineer’s point of view, the Belt and Road Initiative isn’t an example of new colonialism or a debt trap or a propaganda programme or a sinister scheme to take over the world, but simply normal barbarian behaviour when confronted with an ageing Western market whose buying power is dwindling. The Chinese industries that used to supply this market now have excess capacity. The new markets in Africa and elsewhere have plenty of youthful consumers but not enough buying power yet, and need to be built up. Infrastructure investment (roads, ports) is always the first step towards economic connectivity: when people in Pakistan, Nigeria or Indonesia start to get better off, they will buy Chinese-made goods – smartphones, household items, clothes and so on. If the push to use RMB as the regional settlement currency goes smoothly, it could undermine the dollar’s monopoly and avoid the financial ‘chokeholds’ the US has used so effectively.

Last edited by uziq (2020-10-17 04:50:25)

Larssen
+99|1857
After much complaining by the public (one executive from a big movie company jumped out of a window and killed himself), the government finally allowed them to reopen with strict social distancing rules
I, uh, am not sure about referencing suicide as a complaint.

'I strongly disagree with you and will throw myself off this building to prove the point'
uziq
+492|3422
in cultures where saving face is everything, being ruined as a businessman or presiding over the collapse of a company is also a huge personal crisis.

that’s really your takeaway from the piece? lol. it introduces several huge trends in china of which i’d never heard before and you get into the motivations for an anecdotal suicide.

did you go to graduate school? lol.
Pochsy
Artifice of Eternity
+702|5513|Toronto
I hear it's raining blood in the iPhone component factories in China? I think them bish need the concept of profession detachment as they bang out the 30,000 widget in their semiconductor manufacturing
The shape of an eye in front of the ocean, digging for stones and throwing them against its window pane. Take it down dreamer, take it down deep. - Other Families
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689

Uzique wrote:

The Chinese industries that used to supply this market now have excess capacity. The new markets in Africa and elsewhere have plenty of youthful consumers but not enough buying power yet, and need to be built up. Infrastructure investment (roads, ports) is always the first step towards economic connectivity: when people in Pakistan, Nigeria or Indonesia start to get better off, they will buy Chinese-made goods –
It's amazing how history repeats itself. The Chinese building up the markets of third world countries in order to sell stuff to doesn't sound too different from U.S. economist in the 70's to 2000's who supported building up China's market to sell stuff to. That will probably work as well for them as it did us once Africans learn how to civilization.

But seriously we need to shoot the economist.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
Larssen
+99|1857

uziq wrote:

in cultures where saving face is everything, being ruined as a businessman or presiding over the collapse of a company is also a huge personal crisis.

that’s really your takeaway from the piece? lol. it introduces several huge trends in china of which i’d never heard before and you get into the motivations for an anecdotal suicide.

did you go to graduate school? lol.
I thought it was funny, that is all.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
https://i.imgur.com/VmjJWbU.png
So it is kind of agreed that we are going to hit a third peak soon. I know Jay called these fake numbers and I agree that we are probably undercounting cases but interestingly the amount of confirmed deaths is still actually 2.5% of confirmed cases. That number has been steady. You can safely bet that 2ish% of people with a confirmed test result will die. 2% of the 52,774 people who learned they were infected on Oct. 17th are going to die. It's pretty crazy when you think about it like that.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

Influencer Dmitriy Stuzhuk dies from COVID-19 after denying its existence

Again, and again, and again.

It's like a Disney formula with these people.
uziq
+492|3422
take one look at the guy and wonder why he struggled with a disease that places immense stress on your cardiovascular system.

another dumb steroid-doping fitness influencer, no doubt.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
You are just jealous that the guy was muscular and thrice reproduced
uziq
+492|3422
i'm actually in decent shape, macb. we don't all eat our mum's kraft mac-n-cheese 4 days a week.
Pochsy
Artifice of Eternity
+702|5513|Toronto

uziq wrote:

take one look at the guy and wonder why he struggled with a disease that places immense stress on your cardiovascular system.

another dumb steroid-doping fitness influencer, no doubt.
I'm actually really worried about this for myself. I don't dope, and am nowhere near as muscular as that guy, but even with a modest amount of mass under my shirt I can routinely feel my heart flutter/palpitate. I genuinely think carrying excess muscle is a serious strain on the cardiovascular system, even without the PEDs.

That said, we all take risks in our lives. I don't ride a road bike on Toronto streets because getting flattened by a soccer mom in a rush is less desirable than having a heart attack and packing up the bags for a long vacation.
The shape of an eye in front of the ocean, digging for stones and throwing them against its window pane. Take it down dreamer, take it down deep. - Other Families
uziq
+492|3422
i mean i don't know anything about the guy and frankly don't care, but i doubt most of these 'get ripped in 12 months' instagram fitness-influencers are doing proper cardio work. people who want to look massive but without ever taking a jog are only asking for trouble.
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6707|Oxferd Ohire
If they're like my boss they ignore cardio as for women and gay men. Whatever cardio you can get through lifting is good enough
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

RTHKI wrote:

If they're like my boss they ignore cardio as for women and gay men. Whatever cardio you can get through lifting is good enough
Yeah, that's pretty dumb. I can easily envision the personality, though. Are they a boomer or maybe a millennial with a boomer brain and warped ideas of masculinity?

Seriously though I don't know why things like hill running or jump rope would be considered "gay." Plenty of cardio at sportsball camps and boxing/martial arts gyms.
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6707|Oxferd Ohire
Gen X, ex marine
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

But … the Marines have cardio. Kind of weird hearing that opinion from someone slept with other men as a part of his job, but whatever.

Aaaaanyway,

Mocking Biden for listening to scientists, Trump turns to Atlas
https://www.nbcnews.com/msnbc/rachel-ma … cna1243877

At a campaign rally in Nevada yesterday, Donald Trump mocked Joe Biden as the kind of leader who would "listen to the scientists." Evidently, voters were supposed to think that real presidents ignore scientific experts, especially during a pandemic.

Of course, the strange line of attack raised a related question Trump probably doesn't want to hear: if the incumbent president doesn't want to "listen to the scientists," to whom is he listening?

Unfortunately, we know the answer: Dr. Scott Atlas, a radiologist Trump saw on Fox News, whom the president described last week as "one of the great experts of the world."

It was one of the more ridiculous lies the president has told about the pandemic. Atlas has "no expertise in public health or infectious disease mitigation," hasn't practiced medicine in nearly a decade, and has demonstrated a habit of echoing unscientific claims.

Over the weekend, the radiologist published a message arguing that masks don't work, prompting Twitter to remove the content so as to prevent the public from seeing dangerously wrong information.

Atlas has also advocated a crackpot pandemic strategy known as "herd immunity," in which officials allow the virus to spread and infect much of the population. Though the White House has embraced the idea, Dr. Michael Osterholm, director of the Center for Infectious Disease Research & Policy and renowned infectious-disease expert, said on "Meet the Press" yesterday that "herd immunity" is "the most amazing combination of pixie dust and pseudo-science I've ever seen."

And yet, despite all of this, the Washington Post published a stunning behind-the-scenes look this morning at the White House's current posture on the pandemic and the degree to which the radiologist with no expertise in public health or infectious disease mitigation has "consolidated his power over the government's pandemic response."

Atlas shot down attempts to expand testing. He openly feuded with other doctors on the coronavirus task force and succeeded in largely sidelining them. He advanced fringe theories, such as that social distancing and mask-wearing were meaningless and would not have changed the course of the virus in several hard-hit areas. And he advocated allowing infections to spread naturally among most of the population while protecting the most vulnerable and those in nursing homes until the United States reaches herd immunity, which experts say would cause excess deaths, according to three current and former senior administration officials.

The article added that the former Fox News guest has repeatedly clashed with leading officials -- Dr. Anthony Fauci, CDC Director Robert Redfield, FDA Commissioner Stephen Hahn, et al. -- and Dr. Deborah Birx went so far as to press Vice President Mike Pence to remove Atlas from the White House's coronavirus taskforce, in part because of his staunch opposition to expanded testing.

But instead of ousting Atlas, Trump has elevated him and sidelined the knowledgeable experts who've dared to tell the president what he didn't want to hear.

Is it any wonder the Republican incumbent is mocking Biden as someone who'll "listen to the scientists"?
I'm sure it goes down well with his anti-science base, though.

https://i.imgur.com/KFLfrUc.jpg
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
A lot of men who join the military are secret gays. Why would any not gay person fantasize about going to all boy's camp? We need to stop isolating the genders at our Catholic schools.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
I know a lesbian who went to Catholic high school after elementary school. I think putting her in an all female environment like that just promoted any confused feelings she had and integrated schooling could have at least made her bisexual. Now she is just a cranky alcoholic lesbian with a gambling problem.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard