uziq
+492|3423
oh i thought you were referring to the movement of goods being unimpeded etc. it certainly wasn't the case. for several months there was basically no freight at all, air or boat, leaving china. the entire tech sector there basically shut down. so those scenarios are not exactly unforeseeable or unprecedented.

if europe wants to continue trading cheese for wine and sauerkraut for marzano tomatoes, that's their prerogative. but maybe the north should stop hesitating so much over providing relief and financial aid packages to the epidemic-struck southern countries, in that case. you can't trade freely and contain the virus.
Larssen
+99|1858
Well the council has already agreed to a 750bn relief fund for covid. As most of the noise from before the summer has died down, that indicates it is good enough for now. It still has to be approved by all national parliaments though.

I'll readily admit the relations in the EU aren't perfect, but the solution for the common threats/issues facing all european countries isn't less union. So long as everyone agrees to that, the future can be better.
uziq
+492|3423
talk to me next february after the southern states have lost control again and face economic ruin.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
LONDON — The coronavirus can survive for 28 days on surfaces such as glass, steel, vinyl, paper and polymer banknotes, Australian researchers said Monday, reinforcing the importance of effective cleaning and handwashing to curb the spread of Covid-19.
London? 28 Days?
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/e/e4/28_days_later.jpg/220px-28_days_later.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6708|Oxferd Ohire
I was in Wisconsin and 99% of people were not wearing masks
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
Superior Mind
(not macbeth)
+1,755|6663
Another one from last week.

https://i.ibb.co/FgLMsq1/69-A6455-D-04-FA-47-A5-903-A-3-A5-B859100-AD.jpg

USA 2020
My friend says it’s a mobile sukot hut. Even still, wtf.

Last edited by Superior Mind (2020-10-13 06:29:52)

SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690

RTHKI wrote:

Thirteen states reported Sunday that they had broken their previous seven-day coronavirus case records.

The states that beat their own records for the most new cases in the seven-day period ending Sunday evening are Alaska, Colorado, Indiana, Minnesota, Montana, Nebraska, New Mexico, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, South Dakota, and Wisconsin, according to a USA Today analysis of data from Johns Hopkins University.
No one could have seen this coming.

Personally I am in support of continuing to keep much of things shut down or at partial capacity in order to keep NY/NJ from getting sick.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

obligatory

Jay wrote:

It's just the fucking flu, people. So massively overblown
uziq
+492|3423
https://twitter.com/TaylorLorenz/status … 98210?s=20

this time-lapse animation is basically a nation-wide algorithm sorting for stupid.
Larssen
+99|1858
So a new wave of lockdowns is hitting Europe and it's becoming clear that people are increasingly agitated. While back in march there was still a broadly agreed to sense of getting it right / under control, now the debate is turning sour everywhere. On one hand people who fault their governments for being ill prepared and 'getting it wrong', on the other those who spite and resist any lockdown attempt, seemingly oblivious to simple math. These groups are also hurling insults at eachother. I'm now seeing a rather sinister third wheel as well that is blaming minorities because they're overrepresented in hospitalisation statistics. Which is exasperating and incredibly vile to me.

In most the above cases I'm seeing inconsistent/unclear messaging from the governments and a lack of control on social media as catalysts for some of the response. It's also clearly a case of stress. If nothing else the situation allows for a very good insight into population level responses to sustained stressors. I suppose it means that the longer the pandemic continues and more waves arrive, people will become increasingly uncooperative & less likely to adhere to new lockdown restrictions. This can be politically explosive, and ultimately governments will probably have to resort to increasingly coercive/repressive measures to keep infection rates in check.
uziq
+492|3423
yep, i'd say that's a fair assessment.

mental health in general is taking a massive hit, even when it's not clearly manifest. living under constant stress and anxiety for 9+ months is not healthy, even if the individual's symptoms are not clinical or severe. for instance, two weekends ago in my city, when everyone felt that a new round of lockdowns/restrictions were incoming, there was just such a strangely ... oppressive ... collective energy. this weird antic, impulsive vibe, people going out and really losing it (i was not one of them, alas). it's wearing people down, for sure, to the point where people aren't even able to relax and have fun in public anymore.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6076|eXtreme to the maX
Here we've had no community transmission for 37 days, seems like europeans are stupid or something.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
Considering how advanced home entertainment is I have little sympathy for people who are desperate to go out in the middle of a pandemic. This isn't medieval times. There is plenty of home stuff to do.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

uziq wrote:

mental health in general is taking a massive hit, even when it's not clearly manifest. living under constant stress and anxiety for 9+ months is not healthy, even if the individual's symptoms are not clinical or severe. for instance, two weekends ago in my city, when everyone felt that a new round of lockdowns/restrictions were incoming, there was just such a strangely ... oppressive ... collective energy. this weird antic, impulsive vibe, people going out and really losing it (i was not one of them, alas). it's wearing people down, for sure, to the point where people aren't even able to relax and have fun in public anymore.
Seems to mostly hit egotists and narcissists - I don't care.
uziq
+492|3423
someone didn't take their pills today. you're here in a stinking mood writing exceptionally stupid shit.

anyone shielding a vulnerable relative or caring for a loved one for 9 months under the constant threat of a lethal life-ending disease would have reason to feel stressed, anxious, and depressed.

'egotists and narcissists'. people are trying not to lose their jobs in perilous shutdowns and recessions. yes, i'm sure worrying about your next rent payment is really egotistical.

it must be so nice having the world figured out whilst living at home as a grown man.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
People have been stupid and short-sighted, now they can't party.

Honestly I don't care.
uziq
+492|3423
who has been stupid and short-sighted?

people of all ages and stripes enjoy a drink in the UK, dilbert. this can't be news to you. it's a huge pressure valve in every-day life.

would you like a mint?
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
I dunno, people flouting lockdown and hygiene rules because they think they don't apply to them?
Then everyone folows suit.

https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/976/cpsprodpb/0F0C/production/_112425830_mediaitem112419763.jpg

During a pandemic people need to take a break from going to the pub.
Isn't your tribe still holding raves?

A lot of the pandemic can be pinned on inept national leadership, the remainder on individual behaviour and that comes down to the selfish and stupid.
uziq
+492|3423
if there's been raves, they've been illegal and mostly university students. not my 'tribe', not that i even think in such ridiculous ways. i know lots of people in the music/creative industry whose careers have been on a sandbank this year: promoters, DJs, publicists, producers and musicians, etc. it has been incredibly tough for them. no, they are not 'still throwing raves'. the legal night-life industry has been on pause.

everyone i know here obeyed the lockdown measures. there were no pubs or bars for most of the year. it opened back up over summer on a limited basis, and my comment was that the city has been incredibly edgy and full of a weird tension ever since. obviously. the pandemic is playing on everyone's minds.

you are completely exhausting, dilbert. everything is always someone else's fault other than your own. everyone else is to blame. you are unimpeachable and bathed in the perfect light of total and complete clarity on every issue. it's really like talking to an edgy teenager.

Last edited by uziq (2020-10-13 16:51:40)

KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6602|949

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Considering how advanced home entertainment is I have little sympathy for people who are desperate to go out in the middle of a pandemic. This isn't medieval times. There is plenty of home stuff to do.
your main hobbies are collecting magic cards and snapping together toys. A lot of people have hobbies that take them outside of their (parents') house.

"Going out" in terms of eating out, having a night on the town, etc. is one thing. Wanting to enjoy something that gives you satisfaction in life, or makes you feel a certain way is not a bad thing. You live a very weird existence and that shouldn't be treated as the norm at all.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
I enjoy going out too. I liked going to the movies, going to the bar to drink, and smoking pot with friends. I have had to give up on all of those. Collecting magic cards, working on models, and studying have been productive substitutes.
War Man
Australians are hermaphrodites.
+563|6684|Purplicious Wisconsin

RTHKI wrote:

I miss home
The irony of guns, is that they can save lives.
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6708|Oxferd Ohire
It was beautiful up there, not quite peak for fall leaves but close enough.
Drivers are grandma's though.

Ohio has out indiana under travel advisory which is great cause I work just across the border
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
War Man
Australians are hermaphrodites.
+563|6684|Purplicious Wisconsin

RTHKI wrote:

It was beautiful up there, not quite peak for fall leaves but close enough.
Drivers are grandma's though.
Where the hell did you drive at? Last I checked people usually drive like drunken idiots(sometimes they actually are) or are just aggressive assholes. At least in the parts of Wisconsin I am from.

Last edited by War Man (2020-10-15 16:24:52)

The irony of guns, is that they can save lives.
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6655|United States of America
Can confirm Wisconsin drivers are assholes.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard