Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6076|eXtreme to the maX

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Kashkari said he had observed a big disconnect between how business viewed the labor market and workers viewed the labor market.

"Frankly, business had it wrong. Business kept saying, we can't find workers," he said. "And it was nonsense. The workers were out there."
It seems talk about labor shortages in America might actually have something to do with businesses being unwilling to hire the labor available to them because they don't um culturally connect with that labor.
I dunno, in theory there are plenty of 'workers' but how many with the skills, work ethic and honesty that are actually needed?
Many people have a qualification on paper but no clue about how to actually do anything. Many people can barely scrape along doing a simple and robotic task they've been laboriously trained into. "I'd give you a tea-break but I can't afford to retrain you" is not really a joke.
Finding someone competent, proactive and able to self-train is like finding a unicorn with wings. The companies dump all the work on them and treat them like shit.

Also employers are lazy, there's a terrible shortage of people with 5-10 years experience, ie the productive people, because dun dun duh companies aren't willing to hire people with 1-4 years experience.

I now have long list of people burned by indians, if you take indians off your shortlist that does make it a lot shorter - probably for the best.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
uziq
+492|3422
siri, ignore all dilbert posts from henceforth
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
You've never worked in a company which competes with others and has to make a profit though eh?
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

Anecdotally, I remember a programmer in an article saying they couldn't get a job working with a certain programming language because they didn't have x years of experience in … a language they'd invented <x years prior.
uziq
+492|3422

Dilbert_X wrote:

You've never worked in a company which competes with others and has to make a profit though eh?
i worked in trade publishing for 4 years, just about as cut-throat and low-margin an endeavour as you'll find. and, i'm not sure that 'not-for-profits' operate on a loss basis, dilbert. it means they have to reinvest their profits, not that they don't have to worry about competition or being a feasible business. authors have every choice when it comes to whom they publish with. plenty of competition. christ you are thick.

you're talking about 'competition' with someone who works in the creative industries, selling cultural products, interacting with huge monopolistic, anti-competition players like amazon and waterstones.

i mean really do you have a fucking clue what you're talking about anymore? you stumble from one thread to the next trying to be as egregiously wrong as possible.

publishing doesn't have the equivalent of government contracts, dilderp. don't talk to me about being cosseted from competition. didn't you regularly harangue jay for his 'free-market libertarian' schtick when he's an engineer, a profession that regularly relies on tendering huge contracts with states and defense industries, as well as regularly being in receipt of huge subsidies and tax breaks?

Last edited by uziq (2020-10-12 05:42:56)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
People still have to tender and the work usually goes to the lowest bidder.

How often does your company hire people with next to no experience, or people with flaky qualifications which can't be verified?
uziq
+492|3422
once again engineering is the single-most difficult, challenging, profound task known to mankind. engineering firms are just so much more difficult to run as businesses and organisations than anything else! what do you mean, you produce a cultural product, books, in an intensely competitive consumer marketplace?

why are you projecting your shit company practices? that's not our problem. overhaul your HR department? it doesn't mean engineering is uniquely fucking challenging or 'all indians are scammers'. i interact with teams of indian workers every single day for my job and they are conscientious and good at their roles. we've been here before.

sounds like your company is pretty terrible at certain things. your reaction? let's smear a billion people based on their skin colour and race.

highly rational behaviour from our resident egg-head science twot.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

Imagine working HR at an engineering company full of smelly CAD jockeys who don't respect whatever qualifications you have, and spend much of their free time shitting on immigrants and minorities in the same breath as bragging about some Asian chick that added them on a dating app ending in two consonants.

Being a collections agent or telemarketer would probably be a more rewarding position.
Larssen
+99|1857
Dilbert's revulsion of immigrants yet sexual attraction to foreign women is hilarious
uziq
+492|3422

Larssen wrote:

Dilbert's revulsion of immigrants yet sexual attraction to foreign women is hilarious
this is entirely to type. he's the sort of loser middle-aged white guy who holds every non-white in contempt but WOULD go to thailand or cambodia for sex tourism.

i reckon there's a >38% chance he will end up taking an asian bride before retirement.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Who says I haven't retired already?

Also '>38% chance' is a redundant statement. Pick a number and stick with it.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

uziq wrote:

anyway, very stupid conversation. you want all immigrants to learn perfect english so that they can drive? i am not sure, as you just said, that fluency in a language is a requisite for driving safely and to the highway code.
Driving cars is one of the bigger causes of avoidable death. If people can't communicate in English how can the learn the road rules or follow road signs.

For example this sign means you have about three seconds to pull over or get flattened. Find a cute infographic which conveys that.
https://forrestlogistics.com.au/wp-content/uploads/pilotvehicle-forrestlogistics.jpg

Apart from driving an ongoing problem is people who don't understand English are ignorant of and flouting the lockdown restrictions, causing multiple outbreaks. (Ethnic sensibilities mean they often ignore them anyway)

There are multiple other issues, the country can't translate everything into 150 languages and provide audio to people who can't read, which they won't listen to because they don't use technology.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2020-10-13 15:57:25)

uziq
+492|3422
what is an 'ethnic sensibility' and why does it mean they have no concept of health?

you mean the ethnic sensibility of whites on display in trump's america?

you mean the ethnic sensibility proving its success in many far-eastern nations?

it's almost as if ... your 19th century victorian science ... doesn't make ... ANY FUCKING SENSE.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
Noncompliance with lockdown restrictions cut across every race. People would probably take the thing more seriously if every COVID death resulted in gory explosions instead of quiet hospitalizations.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
Larssen
+99|1857
I don't think it's possible to get your driving license without speaking english.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Various groups put their tribal customs ahead of public health - for example convincing mediterraneans not to hug and kiss every time they meet, stopping jews holding mass gatherings etc has proven impossible.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

Larssen wrote:

I don't think it's possible to get your driving license without speaking english.
Which is why a lot of people get someone else to take it.
For a multitude of reasons its better if people learn english as a condition of entry.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2020-10-13 16:08:54)

uziq
+492|3422

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Noncompliance with lockdown restrictions cut across every race. People would probably take the thing more seriously if every COVID death resulted in gory explosions instead of quiet hospitalizations.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsWEj-lmcFo
there's been plenty of news coverage about how young australians have spread the disease, just like young people have been vectors of contagion in most built-up urban areas. they live outgoing and highly social lives and they don't take the risks seriously. that is at least a characteristic of late adolescence: recklessness and poor foresight. an 'ethnic sensibility'. what the fuck is that?

https://www.abc.net.au/news/science/202 … s/12531468

Young Australians avoid COVID-19 news so traditional health messaging doesn't work

Dr Park says it's been somewhat difficult to convince young people to take coronavirus seriously due to early messaging in the pandemic.

Initially, evidence suggested the virus was predominantly an old person's disease and that gave young people a sense of immunity, she says.

"Even now a lot of people, even adults, still think it's only older people that get infected and die."
oh goodie, young australian millennials don't bother reading covid news or updates and still think it's just an old person flu. but it's the 'ethnics'!
uziq
+492|3422

Dilbert_X wrote:

Various groups put their tribal customs ahead of public health - for example convincing mediterraneans not to hug and kiss every time they meet, stopping jews holding mass gatherings etc has proven impossible.
or stopping white ango-saxon protestants from going to the pub/bar/beach/club and getting pissed in huge groups? you're forgetting your own tribe's notable ritual.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

uziq wrote:

SuperJail Warden wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsWEj-lmcFo
there's been plenty of news coverage about how young australians have spread the disease, just like young people have been vectors of contagion in most built-up urban areas. they live outgoing and highly social lives and they don't take the risks seriously. that is at least a characteristic of late adolescence: recklessness and poor foresight. an 'ethnic sensibility'. what the fuck is that?

https://www.abc.net.au/news/science/202 … s/12531468

Young Australians avoid COVID-19 news so traditional health messaging doesn't work

Dr Park says it's been somewhat difficult to convince young people to take coronavirus seriously due to early messaging in the pandemic.

Initially, evidence suggested the virus was predominantly an old person's disease and that gave young people a sense of immunity, she says.

"Even now a lot of people, even adults, still think it's only older people that get infected and die."
oh goodie, young australian millennials don't bother reading covid news or updates and still think it's just an old person flu. but it's the 'ethnics'!
The first wave here was spread by old people coming off cruise ships, the second wave by indians.
Probably different in other countries.
uziq
+492|3422
you mean white old people? with that phenotypical ethnic trait of taking luxury cruises?

clearly you're an expert in mendelian biology.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Not by young people, wasn't that your point?
uziq
+492|3422
my point was plenty of white australians have been responsible for viral contagion and yet you seem to have a preponderant interest in ethnic groups.

weird. old people getting off cruises or young people going to bars and partying -- they're all your tribe, dipshit. so much for 'ethnic sensibilities'.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
Poor minorities not taking COVID seriously was in fact a problem. The George Flyrod protest probably seeded our second wave during the summer. I do get more angry than usual when I see black and brown people not wearing mask. It's like "you guys are the ones mostly dying, wear a mask".

That said, it was the white American community which turned anti-COVID restrictions into a political movement. Had that subset of Americans taken the virus seriously, we could have better set up systems to prevent further outbreaks.

This reminds me of what the catechism of the Catholic Church says regarding suicide: It's a sin but if circumstances were so bad that it pushed your loved one to do it then don't worry about their soul. God understands and will make things right. But if suicide was committed as a political statement or example for others to emulate then that's "particularly scandalous" and not easily forgiven.  I see the anti-COVID restriction political movement as "particularly scandalous". It's one thing to not care about your life or understand how the virus works. It's another thing entirely to promote opposition to efforts to combat the virus. That is a sin mostly committed by white Americans.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
uziq
+492|3422
what and the white militias movement and literal anti-covid rallies didn't do anything to 'seed' a second wave?

most people at the BLM protests were in masks ffs.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard