uziq
+492|3422
b-b-b-but remember, antifa! the radical left! lesbian schoolteachers! BLM!
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
It's true that they were kicking around ideas about how to commit domestic terrorism but their plots didn't extend beyond silly hypotheticals it seems. It's almost as ridiculous as the FBI entrapping dumb shit Muslim teens into terrorism plots they have zero capability to pull off. I guess it is good that they stopped these guys before one of them settled on a lone mass shooting just like it is good that those Muslim teens were stopped before one went Grand Theft Auto on a crowd with their dad's work van. But still the FBI bragging about this sting and their operation seems like intimidation tactics.

Their master plan seemed to be to get 200 armed protestors to attack the state capital and take over the building the governor's formal office is in even though she actually worked across the street. They would have eventually committed a hostage situation with their target watching the whole thing unfold from her office window across the street. Reminds me of something that happened in a Tom Clancy novel once.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
Larssen
+99|1857
Generally speaking an entire group of people isn't promptly arrested without there being incriminating evidence. Not sure what the standards for that are in the USA though.

I wouldn't brush this aside. It's very concerning and if the level of organisation is still immature it is best to tackle these groups before  they really start developing plans / a structure. At that point it will become significantly more difficult to dismantle.

Last edited by Larssen (2020-10-08 15:43:05)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

https://i.imgur.com/z1n2ZZR.png

lmao
uziq
+492|3422

Larssen wrote:

Generally speaking an entire group of people isn't promptly arrested without there being incriminating evidence. Not sure what the standards for that are in the USA though.

I wouldn't brush this aside. It's very concerning and if the level of organisation is still immature it is best to tackle these groups before  they really start developing plans / a structure. At that point it will become significantly more difficult to dismantle.
there was a phase in the 'war on terror', post-patriot act, where the FBI were basically stretching it a bit and framing all sorts of low-level disgruntled citizens as 'islamic fundamentalist extremists'. you know, the typical image of a fat ginger kid in queens who starts to grow out a 'devout'-looking beard. lots of borderline entrapment and undercover stings.

but, yes, with that said, i don't think the threat posed by these morons is overstated. the white house and bannon complex in the right-wing media have been dogwhistling to these 'patriots' for 4+ years. they have incredibly paranoid, warped worldviews thanks to this steady diet of subtle signalling and encouragement from the very top. they feel as though they're on the 'right side of history' and will be vindicated in their actions. that's a very dangerous ideological assumption. when people are sure that they're enacting justice for some higher cause, innocent people end up dying.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

So much ^^^, though I would also extend it to the empowered conservative programming from the 80s on drip-feeding paranoia and resentment to listeners/viewers over many more years. So much so that it's even alienated parts of my family from one another.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

tl;dr
https://i.imgur.com/8nj6lMI.jpg

"I've got dangerous people, strong people, you might want to be careful about what you say to me," etc.
uziq
+492|3422
a lot of the right-wing crazies of this current generation are basically internet LARPers who have begun to import their weird wish-fulfillment or projected-power fantasies into the real world. a huge amount of it was generated by pencil-necked dweebs on 4chan, cloaked heavily in irony and trolling culture, or was otherwise hyped up on social media by 'crusaders' or 'patriots' who've never even done so much as a military drill in their lives.

the roleplayers are taking over.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

Since the 4chan dweebs identify with crusaders so much, we could send them to throw down with the tourney sword fighters at rennfaires. Maybe a bit of bruising would calm them the heck down.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6076|eXtreme to the maX
Eh don't drag larping into this.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
I am just not so sanguine about these guys getting arrested. Their capture probably saved at least one life but it doesn't change the fundamental situation that caused their radicalization in the first place. And liberal using this as a gotcha against conservatives isn't going to change any hearts either. Going back to the War on Terror analogy, it's like celebrating a drone strike in 2002 and then holding it over the head of an otherwise normal conservative Muslim.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

I don't think watering these Taliban-looking dudebros down is going to help any either. Kidnapping or murdering an elected official should probably be taken seriously, and at least looked at before dismissed as idle talk. Yes, even threats against Trump.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
The funny part is these morons never ask themselves 'and then what'.

Maybe its just after that realisation they shoot themselves in the head.
"OK what now, errrr"

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2020-10-09 05:47:01)

SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
I still don't get why people grow beards like that. Disgusting.
uziq
+492|3422

Dilbert_X wrote:

but lots of militias in the US do have overlaps with LARPing, especially civil war-era battle recreations, etc. that whole 'imaginary' aspect of american history is kept alive by 'patriots' who confuse themselves for 18th century radicals when they're actually accountants from peoria, illinois with some questionable (and unquestioned) assumptions about race.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
I would hypothesise growing a beard also indicates a lack of a 'and then what' philosophy.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

uziq wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

but lots of militias in the US do have overlaps with LARPing, especially civil war-era battle recreations, etc. that whole 'imaginary' aspect of american history is kept alive by 'patriots' who confuse themselves for 18th century radicals when they're actually accountants from peoria, illinois with some questionable (and unquestioned) assumptions about race.
I think you're reaching there.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

Trump-Pence sign booby-trapped with RAZOR BLADES injures town worker who needed 13 stitches in his fingers after he tried to move it because it was too close to the road
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl … orker.html

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2020/10/09/06/34179110-8822183-image-a-49_1602220089820.jpg

From imgur:

A perfect metaphor for the Trump administration: Unsightly, illegal, and it will fucking cut you if you try to do anything about it
uziq
+492|3422

SuperJail Warden wrote:

I am just not so sanguine about these guys getting arrested. Their capture probably saved at least one life but it doesn't change the fundamental situation that caused their radicalization in the first place. And liberal using this as a gotcha against conservatives isn't going to change any hearts either. Going back to the War on Terror analogy, it's like celebrating a drone strike in 2002 and then holding it over the head of an otherwise normal conservative Muslim.
well, yes, it's about as correct as saying that invading afghanistan and iraq wasn't going to solve the problem of the islamic world resenting america's global projections.

still, aren't you elsewhere encouraging that 'more people should be arrested'? that people 'aren't policed enough'? what, you think arresting people on drugs charges will change the demand for drugs? that the war on drugs will fix poor neighbourhoods? that arresting protestors or vandals is going to stymie the protest movements? how quaint.

at least be consistent.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
Okay, you got me. I just think the whole thing would have made good T.V. because I am bored.
uziq
+492|3422
just read this about the georgia primaries from earlier this year.

In polling places where minorities constituted more than 90 percent of registered voters, the average minimum wait time in the evening was 51 minutes. When whites constituted more than 90 percent of the vote, the average was around 6 minutes.
and still dilbert pops up to make comments about 'lazy blacks' or 'intransigent blacks voting for kanye'.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
A lot of places are like this in the south. It's bizarre to see long polling lines on the news in those places. I have never had an issue voting. That's what I get for living in a blue state.
Larssen
+99|1857
To be honest I can't see the republican party survive for another 20-30 years if it doesn't change dramatically. It's become anti democratic, led by a borderline fascist, is anti intellectual, harkens back to primal nationalist & racist behaviours. Its voting base is also overwhelmingly old, male and white in a society that is increasingly ethnically mixed.

Those few republicans espousing an ideology of fiscal prudence, self reliance and economic/personal freedoms have been thoroughly drowned out and replaced thanks to the succession of reagan/the bushes/neocons & trump. I'll be very surprised if they manage to make a comeback somehow. If not for their garbage platform, it's simply a demographic fact that they literally can't get any majority victories anymore after the 2040s.

Last edited by Larssen (2020-10-09 09:42:43)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

I could see the party platform simply changing out of political expediency, or the party being renamed and rebranded in a more extreme scenario.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
I don't think they need to change a thing to continue to be successful. As long as the fundamentals of how our elections and federal government is organized is unchanged, they will always have the opportunity to win with a charming enough candidate. I also don't think our increasing diversity will undermine them as much as the most optimistic democrat or paranoid republican thinks. I think the increasing share of minorities in this country entering previously white institutions and spaces will result in the minorities becoming more conservative rather than white republicans becoming liberals.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard