uziq
+492|3445

SuperJail Warden wrote:

This is absolutely no evidence Ivanka is any brighter than the rest of her family. People just assume better of her because she is pretty and can speak well. Literally White privilege.
certainly didn't make any claims for her intelligence. just seems fairly obvious to me that she's had a very strange father figure who probably distorted her psyche somewhat growing up.
Larssen
+99|1880
Ivanka's ability to speak clearly and mostly weave around controversy is enough indication that she's more competent than the others.

To be clear the bar isn't terribly high with figures like don jr and donald as competition

Last edited by Larssen (2020-10-05 02:50:30)

uziq
+492|3445
i only really have sympathy for her because clearly she comes from a clan that is male-centered and full of absolute slimeball hucksters. all of the women in her life, including her mother, were basically brought in like trophy mares to a stable, kept in gold-lined apartments and fucked around on by the men. imagine how many mother figures or partners-of-daddy have walked through her life. her entire received idea of 'femininity' must have been incredibly fucked up and distorted by this.

plus she's managed to take her inheritance of boundless wealth and not go bankrupt four times. so that's something.

e: to be clear i still don't think she's a 'good person'. her political beliefs and business practices all sound toxic af. she is undoubtedly part of 'the problem' in american life. but she hardly stood a chance. poor ivanka!

Last edited by uziq (2020-10-05 02:56:49)

SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3712
There are plenty of women who grow up in much more abusive households and we don't wax philosophical about the bizarre circumstances of their upbringing. The incel rage about ''pretty woman privilege'' actually works in this case. If Ivanka was obese no one would talk about how well she speaks.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
uziq
+492|3445
people talk all the time about female inequality and male privilege, macbeth. which definitely applies to women who grow up in abusive environments and the struggles they face in getting free of it. that is part of the entire discourse of 20th century feminism, specifically centered around domestic abuse, molestation in the family unit, spousal rape, murder, etc. what the fuck are you on about?

e: doesn't trump HAVE an obese daughter that everyone feels sorry for?

Last edited by uziq (2020-10-05 05:53:41)

SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3712
Relative took a trip to South Jersey. He noticed that there were Trump flags and signs all over the place down there. Why do Trump supporters need to show out so hard like that? I live in a blue city and haven't seen any Biden signs this year or any Clinton signs before. Frankly, I wouldn't want to upset any neighbors.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6764|PNW

The "conservative" silent majority likes to be really loud about it. The most bombastic Obama car I've seen doesn't begin to hold a candle even the more reserved Trump displays about town.

He's definitely not a pro small-business guy, so the only reason I expect a white landscaper or farmer or whatever supports him is either Republican conditioning, Reagan nostalgia (obviously the positivity/exceptionalism, not the economy), absolute opposition to Dems, or because he literally enables and vindicates their outdated viewpoints.

"But I hire women slash colored workers, I can't be a sexist slash racist!"
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6729|Oxferd Ohire
always see plenty of signs around here. mostly trump. some biden, even on farms surprisingly
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6764|PNW

I see Trump signs on some businesses. It wouldn't surprise me if they'd kick a customer off their property over a bumper sticker.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3712
Watching the debate. It's noxious watching attempts by both candidates to one up each other about who would be tougher on China and Russia. If you are an average American you would have to be dumb to want to fight either country over abstract political goals. Our country can't provide a social safety net for it's people but we are also expected to sacrifice to fight China. Trump wasn't wrong when he called soldiers who died in for our country suckers and losers. This country doesn't care about it's people.
uziq
+492|3445
polling results are very interesting. generally people put kamala a few points ahead of pence. but women specifically almost 70% declared kamala as the winner. pence was man-splaining and condescending hard.

i rewatched the highlights afterwards and it’s strange when you realise that women had a viscerally different reaction to it. it makes you respect what harris was doing more in her performance: the control, the purposeful effort not to come across like an ‘angry woman’ or ‘harridan’ or nag-type. she is clearly more intelligent and more eloquent than pence but a large part of her performance demanded restraint and letting pence talk himself out. he exemplified that patrician CEO vibe who talks and talks and talks ... evidently this is an experience with which many women viewers are familiar.

someone on twitter said that harris had to strike the perfect tone to avoid any number of criticisms. all pence had to do was show up. the trump faithful are gonna stay trumpers at this point.

incidentally was pretty amazing seeing pence take the credit for the global vaccination effort. as if a vaccine being delivered in record time is somehow trump’s project management. the guy who was pushing household bleach and anti-malarial
tablets for most of the year. how kamala kept her cool regarding the covid stuff i will never know.

Last edited by uziq (2020-10-07 23:36:48)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6764|PNW

I think she is obviously hoping to avoid a "Shrillary" sort of label that played its way so easily into the minds of self-identified centrist (but still bigoted) voters. Joe/Kamala, let alone any hypothetical Dem ticket, will probably never win the Trumpers over.

Remember when people were making fun of Hillary's strange movements, and spells of weakness? That aged well. We have a president who made fun of the disabled but can't walk down a slight grade at a pace exceeding that of a 120 year old man. How can he expect to defend our country against ChInA?!
uziq
+492|3445
it’s so funny how pence kept talking over the moderator and repeatedly referring to her as ‘susan’. i can’t imagine republicans have many suburban women voters at this point.

oh and i just read that he refers to his wife as ‘mother’. haha what a guy.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6764|PNW

I didn't hear that last part, but it honestly sounds like an old guy/grandpa sort of thing I'd more expect from a generation previous to his. Who knows if it's intentional? Maybe he can pray the polls away.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6098|eXtreme to the maX
Did he need a chaperone or were the screens considered adequate?

I'd like to say Trump/Pence are lame ducks but nothing is certain here.

Republicans believe they have a divine monopoly on power and influence so Pence interrupting and being offensive to a woman won't affect his core vote in the slightest.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6764|PNW

Women voters have two really attractive options right now. The pussy grabber and the leering hair sniffer. Great stuff, really.
uziq
+492|3445

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

I didn't hear that last part, but it honestly sounds like an old guy/grandpa sort of thing I'd more expect from a generation previous to his. Who knows if it's intentional? Maybe he can pray the polls away.
it's definitely just a facet of his upbringing as opposed to horrible misogyny, but, eeeesh, yeah. goodbye to all that. we can probably leave behind calling women 'wife' and 'mother' like we elected to leave behind polio.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6098|eXtreme to the maX
Pretty sure nobody voted to eradicate polio, that was imposed by a benign technocracy.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
uziq
+492|3445
‘electing’ to do something means more than going to a ballot box dil-derp. i can ‘elect’ to go for a walk this morning. it implies volition in general as well as casting stones. we have the willpower and werewithal to leave behind calling women by their domestic function.

have a cookie you slow fart.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6764|PNW

uziq wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

it's definitely just a facet of his upbringing as opposed to horrible misogyny, but, eeeesh, yeah. goodbye to all that. we can probably leave behind calling women 'wife' and 'mother' like we elected to leave behind polio.
I mean depending on context it can definitely be holdover, low key misogyny from the before times. But it isn't always. "This is my husband, name" or "wife, name" seems like a reasonable introduction at a polite party. Parents referring to each other as "mom" or "dad" or "grandma" or "grandpa" makes sense in context of children/grandchildren. At a VP debate in front of millions of viewers, it seems a little hokey.

I wasn't passing all responsibility onto Pence's parents. He's a 60~ year old man.
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6729|Oxferd Ohire
Get into work and they believe all pence says. Like kamala wants up to moment of birth abortion
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3712
Six men were charged Thursday in an alleged plot to kidnap Michigan Democratic Gov. Gretchen Whitmer, according to a federal criminal complaint.

The six individuals charged in the Western District of Michigan with conspiracy to kidnap are Michigan residents Adam Fox, Ty Garbin, Kaleb Franks, Daniel Harris, Brandon Caserta, and Delaware resident Barry Croft.

The FBI became aware of the scheme, first reported by The Detroit News, in early 2020 through a social media group of individuals who were discussing the violent overthrow of certain government and law-enforcement components, according to the criminal complaint.

Court documents say the FBI planted an undercover agent to travel to Dublin, Ohio, on June 6 for a meeting with Croft, Fox and about 13 others.
How did they plan to get away with a terrorist conspiracy with 16 people in on it?
Larssen
+99|1880

uziq wrote:

polling results are very interesting. generally people put kamala a few points ahead of pence. but women specifically almost 70% declared kamala as the winner. pence was man-splaining and condescending hard.

i rewatched the highlights afterwards and it’s strange when you realise that women had a viscerally different reaction to it. it makes you respect what harris was doing more in her performance: the control, the purposeful effort not to come across like an ‘angry woman’ or ‘harridan’ or nag-type. she is clearly more intelligent and more eloquent than pence but a large part of her performance demanded restraint and letting pence talk himself out. he exemplified that patrician CEO vibe who talks and talks and talks ... evidently this is an experience with which many women viewers are familiar.

someone on twitter said that harris had to strike the perfect tone to avoid any number of criticisms. all pence had to do was show up. the trump faithful are gonna stay trumpers at this point.

incidentally was pretty amazing seeing pence take the credit for the global vaccination effort. as if a vaccine being delivered in record time is somehow trump’s project management. the guy who was pushing household bleach and anti-malarial
tablets for most of the year. how kamala kept her cool regarding the covid stuff i will never know.
It's probably a deliberate campaign strategy on the part of donald/pence as well. Trump absolutely won over Hillary by bullying her around and in so far possible make her appear as an 'angry unlikeable woman'.

But let's be clear that we're also living in a time where women increasingly assert themselves politically. In the sense that I know many girls/women who will vote only on women. I think it would be surprising/damning if Harris didn't win the women's vote.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3712
I am not sure the overall count of women voters but Trump did win the majority of the white women vote.
Larssen
+99|1880
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-54470427

The FBI says it has thwarted a plot to abduct and overthrow Michigan's Democratic Governor Gretchen Whitmer.

Mrs Whitmer has become a target of coronavirus sceptics after enacting strict mitigation measures that were overturned by a judge last week.

Officials say the kidnapping plot involved six men who planned to hold a "treason trial" for her. Mrs Whitmer's office has yet to comment.
"Several members talked about murdering 'tyrants' or 'taking' a sitting governor," the charging document states. In one video, a suspect denounced the state's role in deciding when to reopen gyms during the coronavirus lockdown (...) The group wished to gather about "200 men" to storm the capitol building and take hostages, including the governor. They hoped to enact their plan before the November presidential election. If that failed, they planned to attack the governor at her home, officials say.

The accused "co-ordinated surveillance of the governors' vacation home", said the US Attorney for the Western District of Michigan, adding that they also planned Molotov cocktail attacks on police officers, purchased a taser, and pooled their funds to purchase explosives and tactical equipment.
Just wow.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard