RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6708|Oxferd Ohire
Besides national chains. UDF and Graeter's. I don't see how we'd be that different one the ice cream front.
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
We don't have UDF and Graeters here. Never heard of them at all. Do you guys have Ben and Jerries?
https://cdn11.bigcommerce.com/s-p4v5wfxev4/images/stencil/1280x1280/products/231/1664/_ETFZ-0000-3681__92676.1526486734.png?c=2?imbypass=on
What about Breyers?
https://www.freshdirect.com/media/images/product/frozen_10/fro_pid_3502593_z.jpg?lastModify=2016-03-18
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

We have all that here. Maybe your town just isn't that cosmopolitan on the supermarket ice cream front.

I avoid the stuff anymore. Too many calories, and too tempting to eat a full bowl of it. I'll go for the odd root beer float once in a blue moon, but I've always preferred rainbow or orange sherbet.

The social media fad where people opened containers of ice cream to lick the surface and put it back pretty much sealed the deal. Gross.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6076|eXtreme to the maX

uziq wrote:

there will be a phase to this pandemic when a few promising vaccines/treatments have been figured out but their distribution/access will become a serious political quagmire. donald trump is an excellent example of the chances of survival for america's 1%. many frontline workers affected by the pandemic were not so fortunate; 200,000 people didn't get to even say goodbye to their loved ones, due to strict quarantine conditions, whereas trump has been surrounded by his loved ones and let out of hospital. what does that say about 'equality' in democracy? the rich, it seems, have more of a right to life (and a good death) than the poor. but that's just stating the obvious.
The nation was created so rich people wouldn't need to pay tax.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

SuperJail Warden wrote:

We don't have UDF and Graeters here. Never heard of them at all. Do you guys have Ben and Jerries?

What about Breyers?
Ben and Jerry's has been poor every time I've tried it, and stupid flavour combinations.
Baskin Robbins was OK early on but the quality collapsed quickly, same for Titzen-Daas I think.

Waitrose chocolate ice-cream was hard to beat.
uziq
+492|3423
ben and jerrys is okay when it's marked down on some sort of discount. not exactly subtle or enjoyable, though. something to binge on a hangover/comedown when watching bad television with a girl you met in a haze and whose specific details you're not exactly enlightened about. 4/10.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

Talenti's is supposed to be fairly decent. Rather pricy, but I might try their raspberry sorbetto.
uziq
+492|3423
there are now more positive covid cases in trump's white house than in new zealand, taiwan and thailand combined.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Britain has nearly had more cases in one day than Australia has had in total.

No local transmission in my state in 30 days.
If we can just stop letting in Indians we should be OK.
uziq
+492|3423
britain is doing badly, and is in for a long and painful winter.

but my point in the comparison was that the white house are explicitly anti-covid and anti-health precautions. now 30 top staffers and several incidental domestic staff have been taken out by it. this from the administration that have done more to spread misinformation and risk people's lives than anywhere else in the world (except for perhaps bolsonaro and brazil).

the UK will post some horrendous stats in the coming months. but out of good old-fashioned incompetence, rather than science denial.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
Winter is going to be a nightmare. Literally the worst is to come. It's a shame that there are people walking around right now with no idea they are going to die this winter.

But at least people in rural states got to feel good about themselves in 2016. That's the important thing.
uziq
+492|3423
without full lockdowns and restrictions on international travel, i really don't see how this winter is going to avoid full-on catastrophe.

already there are shortages in the supply chain for flu vaccines, reagents/precursors for covid treatments, troubles sourcing known clinical treatments, etc.

it's going to be a free-for-all. it's all very well saying 'we are better at treating it'. the global supply chain isn't ready for flu season+covid wave.
uziq
+492|3423
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 … oronavirus

this is utterly tragic. the median age for healthcare worker deaths from covid is mid-50s, almost 20 years younger than in the general population.

they have been raising concerns about inadequate PPE for the entire duration of the pandemic.

meanwhile your president gets top-shelf care and starts blabbing on television about 'we've found the cure and everyone will get it for free'. your ICU nurses can't even get face masks, forget trump's miracle cures.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

He didn't look well.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

uziq wrote:

the UK will post some horrendous stats in the coming months. but out of good old-fashioned incompetence, rather than science denial.
I think its more science ignorance and arrogance than anything. Maybe have someone in govt with a science background?
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
28? Could have been one of our girlfriends. Small price to pay in order to maintain the freedom to have a free market system without government spending on things like PPE that we would just give away. Trump was too busy to ask congress to just print our monopoly money to buy supplies.
Superior Mind
(not macbeth)
+1,755|6663
I recorded this about an hour ago.

[video] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naABSAK … ture=share[/video]
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Thats some kibbutz in Israel right?
Superior Mind
(not macbeth)
+1,755|6663
That's Brooklyn, NY, Dilbert.
uziq
+492|3423

Dilbert_X wrote:

uziq wrote:

I think its more science ignorance and arrogance than anything. Maybe have someone in govt with a science background?
the government has been working extremely closely with two chief scientific advisors and a council of experts throughout the pandemic. it is not scientifically ignorant. not even comparable to the USA’s example and the culture in the white house.

once again, dominic cummings fetishises science and technocracy.

it’s the usual slew of shady tendering, crony contracts, and landing your mates in the plum jobs that is doing us in. as i said, the quaint usual things that plague political administrations. not anti-science or covid denialism.

Last edited by uziq (2020-10-07 21:58:09)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Seems to be a total shambles with decisions on the fly with no link to science TBH.

How long did it take to stop inward air travel?

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2020-10-07 22:31:06)

uziq
+492|3423
we’re the 6th largest economy in the world with a population 2.5x the size of australia’s. where’s australia, 15th in the world? of course a small nation with much fewer international links of goods and people can shut down much quicker and isolate with less consequences. what’s the australian equivalent of the City? a post office in woombagoombah?

our air travel policy has been inept. but scientific decisions have to involve an economic calculus too. we are back at your first early remarks, pie in the sky thinking. ‘if only the entire global economy paused for 6 weeks in january, we’d have defeated this thing!’ that’s not how the real world works unfortunately.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

https://i.imgur.com/sC2k5tC.jpg
"Do not be afraid!"
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

uziq wrote:

what’s the australian equivalent of the City?
Which is fully electronic and doesn't need visitors.

our air travel policy has been inept. but scientific decisions have to involve an economic calculus too.
Yes I'm sure Johnson etc have a great big equation with many variables which spits out the answer, they don't spend five minutes babbling over each other and then go with whatever Cummings pulls out of his mekon head.

we are back at your first early remarks, pie in the sky thinking. ‘if only the entire global economy paused for 6 weeks in january, we’d have defeated this thing!’ that’s not how the real world works unfortunately.
Yes, so much better to be bogged down for months and years and thousands of deaths than everyone just take a break and watch netfilx for a couple of months.
Makes perfect sense.
uziq
+492|3423

Dilbert_X wrote:

Yes, so much better to be bogged down for months and years and thousands of deaths than everyone just take a break and watch netfilx for a couple of months.
Makes perfect sense.
O K.

and how do you convince the entire national/international system of finance, energy companies and utilities, private contracts and direct debit obligations, landlords and rentiers, etc., to voluntarily suspend activity for a matter of months? when there is no apparent pressing threat, and case numbers/deaths in the low teens?

do you know how many businesses and organizations operate on a month-by-month basis? how little savings most private households and individuals have? how important cash flow is to the retail sector, the hospitality sector, the nightlife sector, the entertainment sector -- to say nothing of highly leveraged medium-large-scale businesses that could also choke?

how do you negotiate all that well in advance and agree a national/international moratorium on economic activity? if businesses are to pause, you have to convince their corporate landlords to pause the office rent. and if they're pausing it, you have to convince their creditors to give them a break, too. and you have to convince the energy companies that are keeping the lights on, the local councils who rely on the tax income from businesses to pay the local refuse collectors, etc etc. this surely doesn't need to be explained to you.

our system is disastrously short-termist. it is reactive, if you can call it that, rather than pro-active about crises. for how long have think-tanks and disease prevention bodies been warning about 'the big one'? for at least as long as globalization has been a thing, that's for sure. what we NEEDED was a robust and efficient pandemic response system in place, a global one. that hasn't happened in decades of handwringing on the topic. no chance of a voluntary global shutdown in the early stages, i'm afraid. far too much money and far too many livelihoods at stake.

amusingly, george w bush insisted that america draw up a pandemic response policy after he read ... a history book on his ranch about the spanish influenza. remember all that you were saying about history books being a total waste of time? america might have been on the ball if they hadn't voted in an illiterate swine.

Last edited by uziq (2020-10-08 02:08:51)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard