Larssen
+99|1857

Dilbert_X wrote:

David Attenborough has probably caused a good amount of climate change by himself

Africa, 2013

The continent was explored in all its diversity, from the Atlas mountains to the Kalahari desert. The series took four years and 79 expeditions to film in 27 countries.
I mean, of all people to hate. The guy has literally devoted his entire life to speaking of preservation in the natural world. The film even goes into this, he was there probably often giving the first impetus to conservation of whales in the 70s, forests etc. etc. Not to mention going around the world in the 50s and on to bring nature to people's TV screens. He's been a centrepiece in bringing awareness about animals and nature to people everywhere.

Will you still have the energy or mental acuity to teach others about engineering at 92?  To an audience in the hundreds of millions no less.
uziq
+492|3422
dilbert finds it easier to do nothing, criticise public figures like david attenborough and greta thurnberg, and 'sagely' point at the chinese to justify his perfect inaction.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
The Greta thing is a little bizarre. I feel more sorry for her than anything.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6076|eXtreme to the maX
I don't think I've ever criticised Thunberg.

I think its quite likely Attenborough, besides probably having the largest footprint of any human in history, singlehandedly triggered the stupid exotic selfie culture. Now everyone wants to copy him.

Well done moron, its OK the planet will fix itself.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2020-10-07 05:55:27)

Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
uziq
+492|3422
david attenborough started exotic selfies? what? is there even any point trying to reason with you?

yes i'm sure the reason people take selfies in exotic locations is because of the bbc natural history unit. and not, er, instagram and social media.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Which came first?
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Now every moron with a camcorder thinks they're David Attenborough
uziq
+492|3422
very hot take dilbert. sorry, but david attenborough is considered a national treasure by many. a category that is normally suspect to all hell, but in this case seems fairly unimpeachable. science communicators are very, very important, especially in these times. as larssen rightfully pointed out above, he has done more to bring the natural world into the sealed-bubble living rooms of closed-off mainstream suburbia than just about anyone else.

you being irritated about people taking selfies in far-flung locations ... ok. you do you, you miserable cunt. meanwhile any number of conservation projects and wildlife foundations have no doubt benefitted immensely from his publicity.

Last edited by uziq (2020-10-07 06:10:21)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Did they benefit from all the morons jumping on planes to follow in his footsteps?
uziq
+492|3422
dilbert: i paid for a bench! i donate to a cat shelter!
also dilbert: oh, the most prominent advocate for wildlife conservation in the world? pfffft, now people take selfies on holiday! he’s a loser!
uziq
+492|3422

Dilbert_X wrote:

Did they benefit from all the morons jumping on planes to follow in his footsteps?
show me any empirical evidence that people have gone on more holidays because of david attenborough. use your egg-shaped fucking MIT dome of a head.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

Dilbert_X wrote:

Trouble is everyone wants to do it now
https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/ne … 16946.html
uziq
+492|3422
do you know what a puff piece is? you do realize why newspapers publish articles like that whenever a new tv show is released, right? it's part of a publicity campaign.

a newspaper article linking some sponsored ads for package tours to coincide with a tv show airing is not evidence of millions of people clicking the links and going on holiday.

jesus fucking christ. your superior science brain is simply too stronk!!!
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
https://transportgeography.org/wp-content/uploads/world_air_travel.png
uziq
+492|3422
wow your scientific brain is really taking off! correlation is causation now, isn't it!

the huge and increasing popularity of international flights can't have anything to do with the inception of budget airlines, can it? with increasing disposable income in the west?

no! it's all because of bbc wildlife documentaries, you see!

i know you aren't actually this fucking dense.

Last edited by uziq (2020-10-07 06:24:02)

uziq
+492|3422
A recent study by the United Nations World Tourism Organization (UNTWO) compiled figures from government and tour operators throughout the continent to assess the state of the wildlife tourism industry. It found that the industry contributes 80% of international travel sales to the continent, a large percentage of the $34.2 billion African tourism industry.
https://edition.cnn.com/2015/07/29/afri … index.html

so wildlife/safari holidays account for ca. 80% of a $34 billion industry.

the size of the hotel-resorts and package holiday market? $510bn.

you may as well blame tiger woods or something for global warming. he has no doubt encouraged many businessmen to fly to golf resorts on the canary islands or wherever-else to play 18-holes.

Last edited by uziq (2020-10-07 06:30:18)

SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
I feel like most people have never even heard of David A. Especially in America. The only reason I even know about him is because people on reddit mention him. I can't visualize him. Does he do voice overs for National Geographic or something? I liked seeing those while staying at hotels.
uziq
+492|3422
his brother was the kind old owner in jurassic park. think paternalistic, kindly grandfather figure with a penchant for nature and animals.

he quite obviously does work for the BBC. why would he work for an american cable channel?

have you ever left new jersey?
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
I am saying you overestimate how much people even know who that guy is. If you went by internet people post you would have thought Top Gear was the highest rated show on television for the early 2010's. Only internet people in America knew about or cared about that show.

More Americans knew about this show than Top Gear.
https://m.media-amazon.com/images/M/MV5BMjA2ODQzMDUxNV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwODI2MjEzMQ@@._V1_.jpg
uziq
+492|3422
i don't over-estimate at all. i said he's considered a 'national' treasure not a global superstar. his outreach through the BBC documentaries, which are some of the most popular programs put out by the corporation (like top gear), have a reach in the hundreds of millions. there's a huge audience in the commonwealth and in places like india.

evidently people like larssen know about him, too, from a non-anglophone basis.

why are you suddenly invoking middle america's tv watching habits as the great yardstick of success? i'm not sure why you're making a big deal out of the tv consumption patterns of hicks in trailer parks. oh, ok, 'monster garage' is popular, therefore david attenborough's achievements are slight.

Last edited by uziq (2020-10-07 07:20:59)

SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
I suspect people in India and the Commonwealth aren't watching BBC stuff as much as you think either. I know people globally don't follow American culture as much as we like to think too.

Technology becoming cheaper and education more widespread has resulted in the easy creation of content worldwide this undermining the importance of English language programming. It is western narcissism to think anyone gives a shit what we are up to to watch our programming that much.
uziq
+492|3422
well, seeing as the BBC is a public broadcaster, often closely aligned with the UK state in projecting 'cultural' or 'soft' power, we keep very good metrics on just that sort of thing. not only the glossy BBC programs, but the BBC radio stations and world service, too.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/lates … ecord-high

More people around the world are tuning into the BBC than ever before, reaching a new high of 426m a week - an increase of 50m (13 percent) over the year, according to new figures released today.

The Global Audience Measure (GAM) shows BBC News has an audience of 394m globally, a rise of 47m. The BBC World Service in English, and 42 languages, account for 319m of that figure - with an increase of 41m.
like i said, his reach is in the hundreds of millions.

Three countries - India, Kenya and the USA - have seen the most impressive gains since 2018.
so keep 'suspecting' things based on your observations on reddit or whatever. you are wrong.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

As an aside, one of the worst kinds of people to watch a nature documentary with act out dramatically when a part about the climate or impending extinctions comes on. "Sigh. Huff. Pssh. Trying to guilt me! China and India!" Rolling of the eyes, tossing of the head. Like can we just watch the thing?
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
Meh, you made gains in the English speaking U.S. and to a lesser extent India. More people tune into Bollywood in India anyway.
uziq
+492|3422

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Meh, you made gains in the English speaking U.S. and to a lesser extent India. More people tune into Bollywood in India anyway.
who is claiming otherwise? lmao.

are you crawling towards a point here or what? nobody has claimed david attenborough is bigger than bollywood to the indians.

every claim you’ve made has been disproven as the opposite. the BBC’s worldwide audience is growing. you have a hunch based on what? browsing reddit? the fact that ‘duck dynasty’ is popular in oklahoma?

are you feeling o k?

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard