uziq
+492|3444
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6098|eXtreme to the maX

uziq wrote:

ha ha ha. yes very true. if only there was an equivalent ‘cold shower’ experience for climate change denialists. oh wait, half of america is on fire.
By the time anyone wakes up it will be decades too late, it will left to the engineers to save the world, again.

I am personally not interested in anything David Attenborough has to say, someone who has spent literally his entire life jetting around the world with a crew and equipment in tow. He probably has the biggest carbon footprint of any human in history.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
uziq
+492|3444
someone should really get that NYT video to jay. it is fucking devastating. and he echoed all of the sentiments inside that video.

just one of the most incredible failures in recent history.

By the time anyone wakes up it will be decades too late, it will left to the engineers to save the world, again.
erm how many engineers are involved in the fossil fuel industry? in petro-chemicals, oil, natural gas?

you honestly think like a fucking child. GROW UP.

Last edited by uziq (2020-10-02 06:32:54)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
People do prefer having machines do things for them.

Anyway, who is going to re-terraform the world, musicians?
uziq
+492|3444
no but musicians can communicate the urgency and need for change to many people, just like david attenborough, yes, with his one-person carbon emissions neutron bomb, has disseminated important information to hundreds of millions of people who are hardly inclined to read Science or Nature, dilbert. it's a trade-off.

engineers are not without stain. many of them have aided and abetted industries that they know are harmful. who designs bombs? missiles? oh, let me guess, the pipelines and the tomahawks are all there to 'keep people safer'? engineers take salaries and pursue bad ends all the time. GROW UP with your little child's vision of the black-and-white world. you're not in a cinema nursing a semi over wonder woman and captain banana or whatever the fuck.

you are so frustrating. i am not surprised you have zero friends or social contact with the outside world.
Larssen
+99|1879

Dilbert_X wrote:

uziq wrote:

ha ha ha. yes very true. if only there was an equivalent ‘cold shower’ experience for climate change denialists. oh wait, half of america is on fire.

I am personally not interested in anything David Attenborough has to say, someone who has spent literally his entire life jetting around the world with a crew and equipment in tow. He probably has the biggest carbon footprint of any human in history.
HAHAHA

I'm sorry Dilbert but global cooperation on nature & climate preservation aren't engineering problems. We'll call if we need someone to plug numbers into matlab
uziq
+492|3444
dilbert literally thinks that engineers will obviously make the best leaders and politicians. he has been playing this one note on his prep school recorder since about 2005.

it’s almost like the 20th century’s failed experiments with ‘scientific rationalism’ and technocratic governance didn’t happen.

i don’t think they’re better or worse suited as a class or more or less moral than any other group. but dilbert literally thinks of the real world in this way. it’s like still being in gangs or cliques at high-school or something. races, professions, nations, all easily definable in an essence and shorthand.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6624|949

uziq wrote:

The president has had what one person described as cold-like symptoms. At a fund-raiser he attended at his golf club at Bedminster, New Jersey, on Thursday, where one attendee said the president came in contact with about 100 people, he seemed lethargic.

A person briefed on the matter said that Mr. Trump fell asleep at one point on Air Force One on the way back from a rally in Minnesota on Wednesday night.

i’m getting my flu jab done next week. i was actually quite ill with it last year, over the new year period. took to bed for 10 days. i think over 30 you should
really start taking these things more seriously. it’s a loss to productivity and motivation, if nothing else.
I've never gotten a flu vaccination but I will this year and going forward. Covid-19 has really made me rethink my own health and even my work environment.
uziq
+492|3444
i'm not particularly worried about getting flu again, or even being bed-bound or wiped out with said flu, but combining that with covid or other seasonal illnesses could be potentially very nasty. lots of worrying stuff in the medical literature about the emerging picture of 'long covid', people with weakened immune systems who are fatigued or display minor symptoms for a very long window ... 3-6 months ... fuck that. not worth the risk.
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6676|United States of America
I never got the shot previously, but then the two previous years, I ended up getting the flu and being miserable. After that, I started taking advantage of the fact that my company makes flu vaccines and employees can get them for free.
Dauntless
Admin
+2,249|6734|London

I never have before but should probably get one too. Although it seems like flu jabs are the new toilet paper at the moment...
https://imgur.com/kXTNQ8D.png
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3711
When I drop off my mail in ballot I will go and get a flu shot too. The luxuries of living in a blue state.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
uziq
+492|3444

Dauntless wrote:

I never have before but should probably get one too. Although it seems like flu jabs are the new toilet paper at the moment...
jesus m8, how much time have you been spending around vauxhall that now you're wiping your arse with hypodermic needles?

whatever next? face masks the new poppers? deviant.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3711
It's funny how desensitized to disorder the pandemic/economic crash has collectively made us.  When I woke up this morning I had breakfast then sat down to work and finally checked my phone to see Trump got sick. And I thought "well that's interesting". Time to get to work.
https://previews.123rf.com/images/elwynn/elwynn1301/elwynn130100088/17470967-helpless-asian-doctor-woman-shrug-her-shoulders-closeup-portrait-isolated-on-white-background-.jpg
I think we all kind of expected this to happen and there is a muted real life response to it. I didn't notice anyone going about their lives differently when I went grocery shopping. I think if I wake up in the morning to read a headline that he died, the world would move past it quicker than we would expect. You would wake up to President Pence and some talk on T.V. about the election. Those decisions are out of our hands anyway. There won't be any immediate material changes in any of our lives. And I feel like the people in Washington and media will be happy to move on from Trump on focus on the living. There will be no national mourning or collective grief. His state funeral probably isn't  going to be as watched as the debate or superbowl. Lady Macbeth in the White House won't become a Jackie Kennedy figure either. I think people recognize there's not much there worth paying attention to. She was probably a prostitute after all.
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6676|United States of America
I found it strange how much I didn't want him to die. Mainly because Pence doesn't say the quiet part loud and makes their ghoulish agenda more palatable to "moderates", even if no one really is excited for him, but also because I want his fat, dumb ass to die disgraced, poor, and in jail with his gang of crooks.
Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6767|Moscow, Russia
just volunteered for stage 3 testing of gamaleya vaccine. should be fun.
if you open your mind too much your brain will fall out.
uziq
+492|3444
https://www.forbes.com/sites/tommybeer/ … udy-finds/

Misinformation about the coronavirus is a pressing threat to public health, and according to researchers at Cornell University who analyzed over 38 million articles about the pandemic published in English-language media around the world, “the president of the United States was the single largest driver of misinformation around Covid,” as mentions of Donald Trump “comprised 37.9% of the overall misinformation conversation.”
meanwhile his die-hard supporters in florida are more concerned about joe biden and 'communism' than adhering to covid-19 guidelines.
uziq
+492|3444
it's also interesting that trump was aggressively promoting that hydroxychloroquine crap for the first 6 months, even claiming to be 'taking it himself and finding it wonderful' or whatever, and now as soon as he's officially diagnosed ... he's put on the oxford university trial drug. bonggg. these people are always anti-science and mistrustful of the experts until they desperately need them.

why doesn't trump try and get some UV rays or kitchen bleach?
Larssen
+99|1879
All things considered I do hope he doesn't catch a bad case and that he'll come out alright. In the small chance he does succumb to it he'll be deified in some circles.

Stupidly enough this whole episode may just swing the election. It's a win-win for Trump, either it doesn't affect him (or other infected republicans) much, in which case he'll feel vindicated in his approach & pull the swing vote, or he and others suffer from it and they'll gain sympathy votes.

Last edited by Larssen (2020-10-03 13:23:14)

SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3711
If Trump gets taken out by COVID it will be divine justice.
It's a win-win for Trump, either it doesn't affect him (or other infected republicans) much, in which case he'll feel vindicated in his approach & pull the swing vote, or he and others suffer from it and they'll gain sympathy votes.
Big no.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6763|PNW

Larssen wrote:

All things considered I do hope he doesn't catch a bad case and that he'll come out alright. In the small chance he does succumb to it he'll be deified in some circles.

Stupidly enough this whole episode may just swing the election. It's a win-win for Trump, either it doesn't affect him (or other infected republicans) much, in which case he'll feel vindicated in his approach & pull the swing vote, or he and others suffer from it and they'll gain sympathy votes.
I think the circles that would deify him upon a covid death already have him placed on a pedestal next to the second coming itself.

To be honest, I feel rather neutral about his coronavirus. On one hand, his actions lead to a lot of Americans suffering and dying, so his succumbing to it would be stroke of poetic justice. On the other, I wouldn't wish that kind of death on anybody.

At any rate, I think it would be fitting to call it the Trumpvirus now.
Superior Mind
(not macbeth)
+1,755|6684
Our boy ain’t doing too good.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6763|PNW

https://i.imgur.com/NpvD2zV.png
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

Larssen wrote:

I'm sorry Dilbert but global cooperation on nature & climate preservation aren't engineering problems. We'll call if we need someone to plug numbers into matlab
We're not talking about preserving anything, when we're decades past the tipping point we will literally need to re-terraform the planet and do it very quickly.
Knitting a few shopping bags and taking the bus once a week is not going to cut it when both polar ice-sheets are gone and we have global firestorms and nation-scale flooding at the same time.
What are the history buffs going to then? "Ooh maybe I could publish a book about this"
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6763|PNW

How many World War 2 books have you read? It seems to me that with your judgment here, history writers aren't "doing any good" talking about events there, ones that lead up to it, and the effect it had on human civilization.

Things like terraforming, corrective terraforming, and smaller objectives like reverse desertification or glacial restoration are massive projects that will see work and coverage from all walks of life outside of "engineering." What's your engineering plan for evacuating millions of people off the coastlines? Abduction drones?

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard