uziq
+492|3422
i don't know, i call it a success that a bunch of soldiers who murdered women and children are now being brought to justice, whether their government/court system is particularly credible or not.
Larssen
+99|1857
Who's justice? What justice? They deserved punishment, but what happened there has much deeper circumstantial causes and responsibilities. The 10 year prison sentences may satisfy some westerners with short attention spans and a flag-waving attitude about rights and responsibilities but in all likelihood it will not feel fair and right to the people who live in these environments.

Last edited by Larssen (2020-09-23 08:00:25)

uziq
+492|3422
so what is your suggestion, exactly? throw your hands up in the air and tut about the general chaos and lawlessness of the sahel? talk about western-centric notions of justice, neo-colonialist attitudes and so on, and let child-murdering soldiers get away with it? very enlightened of you.

from the article it seems that nobody has a problem pointing out the fact that a serious crime was committed. the cameroonian government just tried to deny it was their guys based on lack of evidence. well, the video analysis presented them with pretty incontrovertible evidence that it WAS their military responsible for it. not even the govts or parties involved in the sahel are spouting your 'it's a complex issue, mm'kay' line.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
What about the Muslim murders of Christians across MENA? Why was this case special for European internet detectives?
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
Larssen
+99|1857

uziq wrote:

so what is your suggestion, exactly? throw your hands up in the air and tut about the general chaos and lawlessness of the sahel? talk about western-centric notions of justice, neo-colonialist attitudes and so on, and let child-murdering soldiers get away with it? very enlightened of you.

from the article it seems that nobody has a problem pointing out the fact that a serious crime was committed. the cameroonian government just tried to deny it was their guys based on lack of evidence. well, the video analysis presented them with pretty incontrovertible evidence that it WAS their military responsible for it. not even the govts or parties involved in the sahel are spouting your 'it's a complex issue, mm'kay' line.
As an isolated crime in a vacuum it makes total sense to go about it this way. But it isn't, and I don't feel the authors are actually doing justice to the context of the situation. Here we are now discussing a type of murder that happens on a daily basis in the Sahel because there was video evidence and some journalist felt it was his or her calling to get to the bottom of it. And now what?

Last edited by Larssen (2020-09-23 09:07:48)

Elizabeth
Post limited. Contact Admin to Be Promoted.
+1|1339
This year I am teaching history as usual. World History is my favorite subject and it starts during the French Revolution for my curriculum. It is cruelly ironic that I am explaining to kids how hard the French had it while they sit at home locked up in order to protect the health of their parents and grandparents while the economy and political system melts down. Why is our political system melting down anyway? How do we explain this time to kids in the future?
uziq
+492|3422
err pre-revolutionary france was much worse. there were famines and bread was expensive. americans in lockdown can play fortnite and uber eats the world’s cuisine to their doorstep.
Larssen
+99|1857
Is Elizabeth macbeth's alt account
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

Dr. Jeckyll and Ms. Hyde.
Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6745|Moscow, Russia

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Dr. Jeckyll and Ms. Hyde.
very smart. now check the ip-address and answer the question maybe?
if you open your mind too much your brain will fall out.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

I could, but really, that would totally spoil the surprise.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6076|eXtreme to the maX
Guys, its obvious, Macbeth is gently telling us he's transitioning.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
uziq
+492|3422

i'm fascinated by how enduringly shit russia is.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

Brings to mind

e: lol, "out of bounds area"
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

One of the comments:

miniUsername
1 year ago
I'm from russia. This video is on point, but I would like to add a few things. First, vodka was a popular commodity in the last 20 years of soviet union. Good workers were given bottles as bonuses, and tickets to buy special food could be often exchanged for vodka. One of my grandparents did not drink, and frequently exchanged his "bonuses" for sausage and milk. Second it isn't just vodka, nowadays beer is very popular among teenagers, I knew people who would down a bottle or two of baltica 10 every evening for years while sitting on a bench with their friends. The amount doesn't seem that bad, but don't ignore the "every day" part. Also homeless and very poor people drink troinoi odekolon, it is a very cheap perfume that has ~60% alcohol in it. That stuff is very toxic when consumed and quickly kills the poor chap who drinks it.
uziq
+492|3422
it's funny to me that everyone mocks russia for its vodka-drinking stereotypes, and yet there have practically been riots in the street and giant anti-covid marches on trafalgar square because pub opening hours are being restricted.

a lot of countries have very deep and very bad relationships with alcohol. russia just happens to also be a failed state regressing to feudalism.

https://i.guim.co.uk/img/static/sys-images/Guardian/Archive/Search/2012/9/12/1347455997439/Gin-Lane-by-William-Hogar-001.jpg?width=700&quality=85&auto=format&fit=max&s=f46f03c8365f41417830ff9fc2074d58

https://d1inegp6v2yuxm.cloudfront.net/royal-academy/image/upload/c_limit,cs_tinysrgb,dn_72,dpr_3.0,f_auto,fl_progressive.keep_iptc,w_350/d3vfpbqfusxj2qoa8iso.jpeg
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

Well yeah alcoholism is definitely an international issue. Not poking fun at Russian people for it. It's just that different countries sometimes have different experiences and stories to tell about it, and it's interesting to hear.

Far be it for me to chortle at another country where poor people apparently drink perfume, from the questionable safety of a country with Florida attached to it.
uziq
+492|3422
i think it's fair to say that in any community with very little prospects of the future or hope that alcohol and drug addictions will creep in like a mould.
Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6745|Moscow, Russia

uziq wrote:

i'm fascinated by how enduringly shit russia is.
have you even been to russia?
uziq
+492|3422
i haven't been to eritrea or mogadishu either and i can tell you with a very high degree of certainty that they are fucking shitholes.
Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6745|Moscow, Russia
i thought so. well, okay, keep chewing on that crap.
uziq
+492|3422
every stat about russia is shit. you have the life expectancy of the medieval peasantry in western europe.

your country is PURE SHITE.
Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6745|Moscow, Russia
what's with you and russia, dude? why spend so much time shitting on a place you've never even been? is it personal? or just fashionable?
and your so-called "stats" - who made those again? and what for?
uziq
+492|3422
oh yes, right, the stats are fake news now as well. the average life expectancy in russia is actually 83.
Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6745|Moscow, Russia
https://www.exler.ru/img/comment/072ecf61e532907badaa57bf75fbf0c2/15522269655c851a956148a0.27596827.jpeg
when the end time comes, the sky will give way and fiery rain will fall.
the whole world will perish! only russia will be spared!
be saved! join us!

join russia.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard