unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

Without getting into anything else, it's just that some groups of people/individuals make big about what they do and where they live, in terms of social capital, and that this figures heavily into small talk.

Probably the right thread for complaining about it, but man.
uziq
+492|3422
some cultures are just far more direct and open with their questioning or statements. it's not uncommon for an east asian person to just tell you that you look bad/don't look your best, and that you need to lose a little weight, etc. it's intended wholly positively, and not as an insult; they say it out of concern for your health. asking someone about their house or job status is not an 'alarm bells' trigger in most cultures. dilbert is extremely paranoid to suspect that an average taxi driver is going to steal from his house.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

I think in some respects people can get attached to the little rush they get when put on guard or made to feel threatened, and that this perpetuates viewpoints that facilitate it. Seen it in American gun cultures too.

Maybe Dilbert's outlook would change if an Indian pirate leaked the butthole cut of Cats '19.
Larssen
+99|1857
Possibly the guy was a bit of a dick and Dilbert of course redirects his rage to his skin colour and ethnic origin because Dilbert thoroughly conditioned himself to see that as the foremost and only factor influencing others' behaviour. Most all he tends to couple negative traits: pakistanis and indians are swindlers/dirty, africans are violent & dumb, asians are two-faced and plotting, but their women are kinda cute and submissive I guess so the manly westerner Dilbert wants to fuck them.

I wonder how he perceives his own British roots and his place in AUS society. Heaven forbid others would associate him with chavs and other working class dregs from London. Or perhaps he's by nature an elitist, conniving and manipulative person, growing up the son of daddy the diplomat. Are all aus people the sons and daughters of criminals ergo pieces of shit? Or are these surface judgments unfair?
uziq
+492|3422
if there's one thing you can bet on, it's that 'our' side, white people, will mostly always be given the benefit of the doubt.
Larssen
+99|1857
In western society yes. I suppose I first experienced negative stereotyping when I spent a while in China. Seemed to be the case that some Chinese considered westerners naive, walking money bags & the rejects from Europe/the USA (they send us their worst!). Racism is a human trait after all..

We have the advantage that most anywhere else in the world white people came to colonise the place, meaning that remaining white populations are often overrepresented in the top layer of society.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

There is definitely some of that in Asian countries. For instance, I recall stories about western students not just getting bullied, but at odds with school staff over their natural hair colors. That doesn't excuse white people from being rightly called out for bigotry, I suppose.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
Ebay listing for a rare Magic the Gathering card was for $20. Usually sold for twice that on MTG collector websites. I bet on it for $20 and then got into a last minute bidding war with someone who beat me for it with a bid of $30. 5 minutes after the listing ended that I lost I was told I needed to pay for the card now. The guy who won withdrew his bid after winning and I got stuck buying the card anyway? So the guy drove the price up $8 just to fuck me over because he didn't want it anyway?

What a stupid system.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

Is it possible the person selling it could have been bidding for it on a second account?
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
Okay so mystery solved. I actually did make the highest bid for it and a another item from the same seller and circumstances. My father buys and sells a lot through eBay and my sister also uses it a lot. We are all under the same account. So my sister was apparently watching the auction time run out and me outbidded and decided to win the auction on my behalf for me. I don't think she wanted me to not miss out but she got a small dopamine hit when she won the auctions and didn't have to pay the bill.
Adams_BJ
Russian warship, go fuck yourself
+2,053|6592|Little Bentcock
Why the different attitude when discussing other races being racist compared to Dilbert being racist
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
Dilbert is the least racist person I know
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

I think he might be a little bigoted. To what (exact) capacity is revealed in person, I don't have a clue. I don't think he went on an anti-Indian rant in front of his cab driver. That's saved for us.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6076|eXtreme to the maX
Still pretty pissed that whiny indians cancelled Apu.

Every single character in the Simpsons is an offensive stereotype, but only the indians whined about it.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
uziq
+492|3422
the simpsons in general should have been cancelled about 10 years ago. reusing tired stereotypes for punchlines is one thing, but repeatedly excavating the same thing for a show that is 15 years past its prime is just sad.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Thats a separate issue
uziq
+492|3422
is it? the simpsons is a show from a different era and its humour is old, including 1990s-vintage 'indian shop clerk' jokes.

the show should be put out of its mercy before it risks becoming another j. k. rowling jumping the generational shark.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

I think the show lost a lot of its personality long ago when it moved from the dark humor premise to throwing in family-friendly, heartwarming slice-of-life. It's so weird to see episodes where they try and endear Homer to the audience while in the next moment strangling his son like old times.

Didn't Disney buy it? In that case, I don't think it will ever be truly "cancelled."
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6654|United States of America
I don't know if it ever had a "dark humor premise". It was occasionally somewhat mature for the time, but because it was a cartoon, I'm sure people wrote it off as innocuous. I fully believe that's why parents let me watch it.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

IIRC, the comics it was based on were a little dark. They dumbed that down a bit for the show, and then hit it with a giant dumb hammer.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
What can I spend money on to stimulate the economy?

I have too much money and the economy needs it.

I could hire the local cinema to play the full set of Resident Evil films, or I could hire some shuffle girls to follow me around and do little dances while I'm waiting at the ATM or filling my car with petrol etc.
uziq
+492|3422
why don't you build your own house?
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Could do, I've about done the equivalent, feeling a bit fat and lazy at present.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

In your case, dilbert, I don't recommend you live alone, unsupervised. Don't listen to uzique.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
I'll never be alone

https://duckboss.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/cats1-1024x597.png

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard