Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6075|eXtreme to the maX

uziq wrote:

stonehenge is underwhelming in comparison, but precisely because it hasn't been disney-fied. tintagel is constantly in the news because various heritage/tourism boards want to dress it up, add fancy bridges, viewing platforms, men dressed as gandalf, etc.

stonehenge on the summer solstice is genuinely pretty amazing. a very charged place.
I never actually went to Stonehenge

A favourite spot was Waylands Smithy, best when no-one else was around. My standard bike ride was past the hill forts and white horse at Uffington, stop at Waylands Smithy, turn around and go back.

Its in a spooky little dell, living in that area was great.

Having American colleagues over was always funny "hey we saw this building in Oxford thats like 1000 years old amazing!" "um ok, lets go for a little drive..."

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/03/Wayland_Smithy_Long_barrow.jpg

https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-o8imW3-wsTs/Vvhesb8WHkI/AAAAAAAARDI/NlbWaZN1tg4Ch6Psm49PJ5f6M_swvqSaQ/s1600/2016%2B0321%2B126%2B%2528PLX100%2529%2BWayland%2527s%2BSmithy.JPG

Avebury was OK

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2020-07-11 00:44:40)

Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Larssen
+99|1857
Never thought I'd dump big money on a watch but ended up buying a limited edition Oris aquis for €€€. No regrets, such a beautiful piece.
uziq
+492|3422
what i know about watches could probably be summed up on the face of one tbh, but they look decent.

btw it's very fucking funny that you ragged on me for buying nice, well-made shoes, something that you walk in literally every single day, and one of the most important purchase for comfort and quality of life (along with a good mattress, etc) ... and then spend thousands of euros on literally something to tell you the time of day.

fight me fagit

Last edited by uziq (2020-08-11 08:37:21)

Larssen
+99|1857
I'm howling over the fact that it stung you so deep you immediately bring it up months after the fact, hahaha

Unlike shoes though this will last a lifetime and retain value quite well if I take care of it a little. If I ever sell it (which I don't think I will), I won't make much of a loss at all. I'll be wearing it every day too. Watches are more just jewelry than actually used much to keep the time tho, it's only useful for in person meetings if you need to keep to a schedule and wish to be discrete about checking the time. Or if the apocalypse happens & all digital equipment fails I'll at least be able to rely on my trusty mechanical automatic watch.
uziq
+492|3422
haha, it didn't sting me at all! i just remember you mentioning shoes, apropos of nothing, deep in debates about foucault or whatever else it was. haha.

good shoes do last for 10+ years with minimum fixing or maintenance, tbh.
Larssen
+99|1857
I can swim and even dive with it too. It also has a tungsten bezel, so if I ever need to pimp slap someone I know what I'm gunna do
uziq
+492|3422
you sound exactly like every person i've ever spoken to who has just talked themselves into buying an expensive watch (me included).

'i can go diving with it!'
'it'll keep its value, maybe even appreciate! i'll sell it on one day when i'm tired of it!'
'this will actually be more useful than just checking my phone or computer, no, really'
'in the advent of the collapse of industrial civilization / when the russian nukes EMP all of our electronics / when i can't see the sun in the sky, or its shadow ... i'll still be able to tell the time!'
Larssen
+99|1857
It goes well with my suit and aviators, I've elevated my look uziq. Your fashion conscious self must see the importance of a nice watch to distinguish us boilerplates from one another!

I set out to just buy a watch for around 1k because I wanted something nice. I ended up overshooting the budget by a few factors but as I said no regrets. As far as luxury watches go it's still great value vs hideously overpriced rolexes. Took me a couple of weeks to find the right piece. The fact that I don't have to take it off because it can withstand all natural elements I consider an added benefit. Esp. this summer, I've spent a lot of time at the beach.

Last edited by Larssen (2020-08-11 09:47:38)

uziq
+492|3422
i approve entirely! i've been there with the rationalisation. you will enjoy your purchase. hunting for the right object, researching it, and slowly talking yourself into it is all part of the fun.

e: i don't approve unqualifiedly of aviators. too many men wear them because they're a standard 'go to' (or because of top gun, which is even more misguided), when they do not suit the shape of their face. i will give you the benefit of the doubt on the aviators.

Last edited by uziq (2020-08-11 09:51:48)

Larssen
+99|1857
I have these. They look more stylish in person. The 1 or 2 days in the week that I need to be at the office I usually wear a dark gray suit and out of my ties the blue ones are my fav. I considered standard black or black/gold frame for the sunglasses but seemed a little boring and tacky to me. I will get a few diff colours & standard black or greyish ones in the future.

It suits my face. People have told me so. I believe them.

https://contestimg.wish.com/api/webimage/5a74d470649e352ebf55c184-large.jpg?cache_buster=2c98c9f1b0eb98f297826e1da60de652

Last edited by Larssen (2020-08-11 10:08:29)

uziq
+492|3422
very 'mr anderson', particularly with the carbon fibre (?) arms. i can see that working in a formal suit.

i've been wearing these this summer.

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/EBoAAOSwAVhe7aDs/s-l1600.jpg
Larssen
+99|1857
Yeah they're carbon fiber - highly recommend, very comfortable. I do end up kind of looking like a spook but the blue hue helps out there and fk it, it looks right.

Now see those types of frames I wouldn't be able to pull off at all.
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6654|United States of America
I think they have a filter to keep out the riffraff on the Oris website because as I went to even see what this brand looks like/costs, it just got stuck loading forever.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
I stopped wearing a watch, I have always bought the cheapest glasses the optician has.
"But don't you want these $600 designer glasses, they're half price so $300"
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
https://www.mywatchmart.com/images/2020/05/27/455283_362_attachment_thumb.jpg

I like this one

https://www.oris.ch/data/27764_0173377664135-0782205PEB_verticale.png

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2020-08-11 23:15:39)

Larssen
+99|1857
The standard aquis has an open caseback which is also v nice, you can see the movement. Also quite a bit cheaper than limited edition.

Here's a few:

https://cdn.webshopapp.com/shops/284691/files/301055637/image.jpg

https://www.eugenevanbaal.nl/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/800x/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/2/5/25264_0174377344185-set_verticale-2.jpg

https://cdn.webshopapp.com/shops/284691/files/318762315/oris-oris-aquis-great-barrier-reef-iii-limited-dat.jpg

I feel they have a very good modern yet timeless feel to them because of the unmarked hours

Last edited by Larssen (2020-08-11 23:23:30)

Larssen
+99|1857

Dilbert_X wrote:

I stopped wearing a watch, I have always bought the cheapest glasses the optician has.
Watches are usually popular among the engineering crowd.

What do you spend your money on? I reckon engineers in aus have plenty disposable income.
uziq
+492|3422
dilbert is building a sex-bot with 8 arms and a modular dildo kit.
uziq
+492|3422

Dilbert_X wrote:

designer glasses in general are a total rip off, it's common knowledge that 80% of the high-street brands are just re-badged SKUs from the same mass-production parent company (luxottica). the quality is so-so and the mark-up is insane.

you can get some very nice bespoke frames though from older-fashioned brands/opticians. you can tell the difference when you get a nice, well-made frame with quality lenses. the quality of the materials and the weight of the thing is just so noticeable. i swear by the same 2-3 brands/makers, generally. there is a shop in covent garden that will do amazing custom-fit frames.

i probably wouldn't spend $600, though.
Larssen
+99|1857

uziq wrote:

dilbert is building a sex-bot with 8 arms and a modular dildo kit.
So a spider with dildo legs

We all have needs
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Well why shouldn't I
Larssen
+99|1857
You didn't strike me as a bottom dilbert.

6 dildos no less christ almighty

Last edited by Larssen (2020-08-12 05:14:19)

Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6745|Moscow, Russia
spiders have 8 legs - that means 8 dildos. hardcore stuff.
if you open your mind too much your brain will fall out.
Larssen
+99|1857
I was assuming it would need 2 legs on the ground to stabilise rather than all of them in dilbert's orifices

Last edited by Larssen (2020-08-12 14:32:18)

uziq
+492|3422
i've created a monster! a golem!

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard