uziq
+492|3422

Last edited by uziq (2020-08-07 02:36:22)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6076|eXtreme to the maX

uziq wrote:

(very) late messiaen is just as good as early messiaen, by the way. bigger in scale and ambition, sure, but still incredible.

this is from the last thing he ever composed. it's incredible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raN20tt6ep8
It does sound the sort of thing you'd play to someone in a padded cell to test the limits of psychosis.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
uziq
+492|3422
oh you! you're just so edgy!

you hang out a lot in the comments section of the australian times, don't you? derisive of most culture but oddly fanatical about teenage girl groups and musicals.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Nope, can't be bothered with the comments section of anything really.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Ten years ago, wow, still stands up

Larssen
+99|1857
I mean lady gaga is a great artist I'll give her that. Good tunes, fantastic visuals, very madonna. But it doesn't quite feel right to segway from messiaen and stockhausen to gaga. No offence to the girl, all music is different I suppose, but I don't see people still contemplating gaga in a few hundred years, the other two however...
uziq
+492|3422
dilbert's the kind of guy who has never been to the theatre, likes panto and cats the musical, and thinks gilbert & sullivan is a cultivated evening.

he takes pride in it because he's sure that anything else is pretentious tosh.

it would be cute if he wasn't basically a 50-year-old man.
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6655|United States of America
*nervously looks around with Gilbert & Sullivan forum title*
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Derpzique, so predictable, its like he's a great big button.
uziq
+492|3422
it’s lamentable and unfortunate that you think i’m ‘mad’ whenever you do your little routine. it barely produces a groan. that’s because you have to adopt the stereotype of a very sad and maladjusted grown man. way to go!

is this what it’s like when rednecks ‘trigger the libs’?
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
BTW This is the "what are you listening to right now?" thread, not the "my music is better than yours" thread
uziq
+492|3422
erm, i've only been posting songs i'm listening to, to which you continually react with text-posts and insults?

good job lmao. remind me how old you are again?

this is very low-effort stuff, mate. you can't even be bothered to make sense.

Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6745|Moscow, Russia
i asked my 25-yo step-daughter to pass my way some of what passes for "music" in her social circles there days, and what she thought i might like. she knows me pretty well - an old fart, grown up in soviet union, educated into js bach and bethoven - hopeless, basically. but sometimes things stick for reasons unknown to me, covers of older music mostly, like this one:
if you open your mind too much your brain will fall out.
uziq
+492|3422
that is an unequivocally terrible cover. why would ANYONE listen to that?

it's one of the BEST pop-dance songs of the 1990s! that guy butchered it!

and THE authoritative dancefloor remix of that song is this:

you LOSE -25 points shahter!
Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6745|Moscow, Russia
i knew what it was a cover of, and i liked it for some reason. i'm just weird like that.
uziq
+492|3422
you know exactly what that song didn't need? bad trance chords overlaid in a poorly produced fashion from a software synthesiser! and even worse vocals!
uziq
+492|3422
Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6745|Moscow, Russia

uziq wrote:

bad trance chords overlaid in a poorly produced fashion from a software synthesiser!
"software synthesiser" i understand. but "trance chords overlaid in a poorly produced fashion" - that went right over me.

and even worse vocals!
well... i don't even remember last time i heard anything i'd honestly call good vocals in modern music, so i just don't care anymore (original Sing It Back vocals i wouldn't call stellar either, tbh). generally, whatever doesn't sound like wet shit hitting the ground gets to do for me these days.

yanka though... you weren't really listening to that when you posted it, were you? O_o
uziq
+492|3422
the main addition to the song, other than the annoying 'rolling deep house' 4/4 pattern, is the trance chords ('pads') overlaid on top. the original had funk and groove whereas the cover has annoying synthetic euphoria.

anyway, yes, i have this:
https://www.discogs.com/%D0%AF%D0%BD%D0 … ter/467977
uziq
+492|3422
this is an interesting russian label, for contemporary electronic music (gost zvuk)

Last edited by uziq (2020-08-11 02:34:50)

Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6745|Moscow, Russia

uziq wrote:

the main addition to the song, other than the annoying 'rolling deep house' 4/4 pattern, is the trance chords ('pads') overlaid on top. the original had funk and groove whereas the cover has annoying synthetic euphoria.
never got to learning any of that^. seven years of learning to play bach on a piano, and then whotever rock and punk bands were popular through my university years kinda lasted me through the whole life.

um... okay. last time i checked, you didn't speak russian, so why? it coudn't be because of... ehm... "music"?
Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6745|Moscow, Russia

uziq wrote:

this is an interesting russian label, for contemporary electronic music (gost zvuk)
i have some of these added to my list. i think it may have been you who i found those through, so thanks.
uziq
+492|3422
80% of the music i listen to is nonvocal or isn't very interested in lyrics any how (the other 20% intensely interested in lyrics and song-writing, of course).

do you think every wagner fan understands high romantic german? every opera buffa fan understands italian?

more is communicated by music than just the semantic meaning of words: so much is about 'mood', tone, timbre, texture, etc. although, of course, much is lost by NOT understanding the lyrics too but it doesn't make it unlistenable, or meaningless, or without emotive effect. much like with opera programmes, there's always translations and lyrics online.

i have no idea of any of the above languages, for instance ... but i love all of those songs.

now if i was staring at pages of cyrillic claiming to 'read' mayakovsky, you'd have a point.

Last edited by uziq (2020-08-11 02:58:08)

Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6745|Moscow, Russia

uziq wrote:

more is communicated by music than just the semantic meaning of words: so much is about 'mood', tone, timbre, texture, etc.
i agree of course. i just don't really find any actual music in yanka, tbh. she not exactly another wagner, you know.

now if i was staring at pages of cyrillic claiming to 'read' mayakovsky, you'd have a point.
interesting you'd bring mayakovsky up. you wouldn't of course get much by staring at the text, but - you probably know this - he's actually famous for his use of special form of writing his stuff down, and many people used that to interpret and render very interesting readings of his poetry - with special rhythm, often sounding almost like modern rap. and that might actually be listenable to even by those who don't understand the words.
uziq
+492|3422
yes, we do study mayakovsky in the context of the poetry of the avant-garde. but i don't read russian, you are quite right.

haha, yes i don't think many people mention yanka and wagner in the same sentence. i listen to it as 'mood', which admittedly is a lesser form of listening to active engagement with the (social, political, etc) lyrics.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard