we need a sea wall not a land wall
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
Superior Mind
(not macbeth)
+1,755|6662
Waterworld
uziq
+492|3422

Interesting how capitalism has come to mean that the risk of investment is on the employees and the taxpayers. Profits are private, but losses are socialized.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6075|eXtreme to the maX
The vast bulk of the wealth in the world is in bitcoins

The govt needs to support bitcoins

Apart from that a big fat GST on all online purchases would solve a lot of problems.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
I invested in my future. Spent $4200 out of pocket on two graduate classes in August. About $700 per credit.

My heart hurts when I look at the $4000 hole that was left in my bank account.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
uziq
+492|3422
do you regret it? i’ve saved so much money during this half-year cessation of my social life that i’m considering another 1-year course just for kicks at this point.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
I did a $10 (discounted from $150) course in drone aerodynamics.

Basically I got a neat spreadsheet and some pointers out of it.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
How do you guys feel about tiny homes? I think this might be the solution to the urban and suburban housing crisis.

Instead of giant pools and wide open backyards, we put tiny homes in residential neighborhoods.
https://i.imgur.com/8bb1JGi.jpg
They will provide rental income for older families and Lebensraum for underpaid millennials and Gen Z.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

I think the price of some of these can be absolutely absurd when compared to homes with sometimes 5x the floor space. It's like buying a $150 ITX chassis.

I'd be cool with a tiny house for living space as long as there are at least two doors of separation between the restroom and kitchen. But I'd probably want a garage/workshop and maybe a small storage building for books and movies. Also space for visitors. So really, just a regular house.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
You make good points. The tiny home I posted before is in the middle of how big they can get. There can big large tiny homes too. At this size though its basically a small house.
https://i.imgur.com/R9PsjRX.jpg
Regarding the price, I think something like the one above would be good for urban/semi-urban places. A lot of people have backyards this can fit into in my area. And while the thing above is probably somewhere in the ballpark of $100,000, the average home price in the city is in the $400,000 range. The picture above looks like someone's backyard anyway.

Basically, big empty backyards or pools can be put to better use. Another boomer luxury to bury.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

^Basically a spin on a mobile home.

I think maybe start with acknowledging it's stupid that tiny plots of land in some undeveloped rural areas are going to cost you about as much (if not more) than a small family home in the suburban 80s (which again was absurd considering much lower housing costs during boomers' childhoods), and that those same small family homes in the suburban 2020s are running at 10x their 80s cost even with 30-40 years of disrepair.

Maybe a single disciple of Marie Kondo can hack it in one of the smaller tiny homes. But the idea of stuffing mainstream America into virtual doll houses, while the wealthy continue to enjoy increasingly sprawling, luxurious homes (sometimes owning multiple locations), doesn't seem very appealing to me.

https://s3-us-east-2.amazonaws.com/blog.stkimg.com/media/2019/05/18191005/Screen-Shot-2019-05-18-at-11.19.01-PM-640x463.png
Samuel L. Jackson lectures Americans on how easy the quarantine is, from the luxury of his ~12,000 sqft Beverly Hills home and whatever generous savings he has at his disposal.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

https://www.seattlemag.com/sites/default/files/field/image/0415tentcitiesopener.jpg

SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
We should be promoting multigenerational living. It's more sustainable both economically and environmentally. Sticking extended family in your backyard tiny home is better than letting them inhabit dilapidated ghetto apartments or live in tent cities.

I am sure at least one of those people in the tent city can come up with $500 a month to have a roof over their head in my backyard.

We can eat the rich while promoting tiny homes too.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

Multigenerational housing is socially unacceptable now, I guess. People get shamed for living with their parents.

On that, I've got a family "and then they all clapped" anecdote from decades back of a relative overhearing a couple old farts loitering on a shopping mall bench mocking people as they walked by. "I bet he lives in an apartment," "not man enough to provide a home." When confronted/quizzed, both acknowledged that things are way more expensive now, that earnings are behind, and that furthermore both of them came from multigenerational homes that they eventually inherited from their parents. I guess one sold to his kids iirc.

But I bet they went back to it as soon as they were left alone. Probably drifted onto how all the poor kids should be out picking strawberries or fixing factory machinery.
Superior Mind
(not macbeth)
+1,755|6662
From what I can tell, my friends who grew up with grandparents in their homes turned out to be healthier adults. I intend to offer at least one of my parents residence on my property when the time comes. It goes against human nature to fracture the extended family - let alone the nuclear family. Obviously it makes economic sense besides.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

Over a minor disagreement, my boomer parents were ejected from my greatest generation grandparents' home while said parents were still struggling to get on their feet financially. Earlier, one set of grandparents left one of my parents cut off and stranded in a college town.

Filial piety and all that, but I can see where boomers get their attitude sometimes.

Some boomers have never recovered from being poor, and I've heard a few contemplate suicide as a way out of things like medical debt. It's probably not fair to clump them all into the same spoiled group as social media is wont.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
Suicide is a major cause of death for white male boomers. Opiates do a lot of damage too. As much fuss as has been made about evil white men in America lately, the fact that they are self terminating in various ways shouldn't be ignored. That said, you shouldn't export your sadness and pain onto others either.

I take it you don't care for the Greatest Generation talk do you, Newbie?
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

I don't really care for generalizing any generation under its worst tropes. It just comes off as really lazy thinking.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
You only feel that way because you are Gen X. They didn't even give your generation a cool name. Same with Gen Z. You guys got cucked.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

I occupy a space that can either be considered the extreme trailing edge of gen x (Megaman X, Metal Slug X) or more safely under millennials, depending on who you ask or what you read. Both of which are way cooler names than zoomer. That name just makes it sound like you have untreatable adhd.
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6654|United States of America
I would love a small home. One of the things that annoys me at the prospect of buying a house is having a bunch of useless rooms I don't need in addition to having a larger-than-I-want amount of landscape to maintain. Very annoyed that a lot of housing web sites can have you filter by 1+/2+ bed or bathrooms, but rarely can you set a cap.
Superior Mind
(not macbeth)
+1,755|6662

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

I occupy a space that can either be considered the extreme trailing edge of gen x (Megaman X, Metal Slug X) or more safely under millennials, depending on who you ask or what you read. Both of which are way cooler names than zoomer. That name just makes it sound like you have untreatable adhd.
I’m technically in the same boat, but my young face gets me millennial status automatically. My parents are both boomers aged 72. They were 41 when the had me. It was weird that most of my peers’ parents were so much younger than mine. Boomers get a bad wrap. Their parents raised them under the aegis of “kids are staving in Europe and we survived the depression and WW2, so you get no free passes.” They tried to liberate themselves with LSD but only wound up lost and turning back to mainstream society with their tails between their legs. Some of em. So much in the way of family upbringing was lost back in Europe. Then again great grandfather lost his parents aged 11 and was beat and starved till he was 18 apprenticing to a tailor. Probably time to hit a reset button on cultural values.

Tiny homes makes sense on a commune, with a shared kitchen house, gardens, work spaces and outhouses.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
I've lived in one bedroom units and a large mansion - we didn't have a reason to go into the top floor for years at a time, except to retrieve the cat who used to play hide and seek.
We had one room larger than the average european house, didn't go in there much either.

Space is nice, and being a long distance away from other people is nice.

I would be fine with a small unit and a large workshop - for mental health reasons.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2020-07-25 18:36:14)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Suicide is a major cause of death for white male boomers. Opiates do a lot of damage too. As much fuss as has been made about evil white men in America lately, the fact that they are self terminating in various ways shouldn't be ignored. That said, you shouldn't export your sadness and pain onto others either.
I think more often, white people buy into the idea that they're being demonized more than they actually experience it. A slippery slope for a commuting white man to be listening to a radio message telling him that he's being shunted aside by the evil liberals, and that people would prefer him dead. Seen quite a few people go from mentally healthy moderate to dark and brooding. Hear about them coming home in a good mood, then fouling their temper with alcohol and Fox.

Superior Mind wrote:

Tiny homes makes sense on a commune, with a shared kitchen house, gardens, work spaces and outhouses.
Hearing some of the horror stories from HOAs I'd be hesitant to try that.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Hell is other people, it only takes one uziq to have an all-night house party to ruin a neighbourhood.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard