uziq
Member
+492|3481
you seem very upset about poor people cheating the benefits system considering how much produced wealth literally evaporates off into the offshore-superyacht stratosphere.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6661|949

the richest 1% own over half the value of the stock market

https://www.npr.org/2017/03/01/51797576 … nversation

Of course, it makes sense that richer people would own more stocks than the rest of Americans, just as they own more of other types of assets, like real estate. But the massive disparities in stock ownership are important for two reasons: One is that when a politician brings up the stock market as a measure of economic success, that success isn't very relevant to many Americans.
Think about the above when Trump champions the success of the stock market. It is a message for a select few. Also think about the increase in wealth during the pandemic. The big question will be - will that acquired wealth be spent, or will it sit in the electronic ether, a luxurious ATM spitting out 7 figure annual returns with no benefit to the larger society.
uziq
Member
+492|3481
“The patriots here today fled socialism to find freedom,” Trump said. “And now Joe Biden and the radical left are trying to impose the same system.”

The president continued, “Joe Biden is a puppet of Bernie Sanders, AOC, the militant left, the people that want to rip down statues and monuments to George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, Benjamin Franklin.”

Trump then repeated his bizarre claim that Democrats are pushing for the removal of statues of Jesus Christ. “Jesus! Okay, Jesus. They want to rip down statues to Jesus,” Trump said, before confidently predicting Biden would lose the election.


surely this guy has got to be losing his shine at this point. it's inane.
Superior Mind
(not macbeth)
+1,755|6721
Poor fella is just a walking cialis advert.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5387|London, England

uziq wrote:

“The patriots here today fled socialism to find freedom,” Trump said. “And now Joe Biden and the radical left are trying to impose the same system.”

The president continued, “Joe Biden is a puppet of Bernie Sanders, AOC, the militant left, the people that want to rip down statues and monuments to George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, Benjamin Franklin.”

Trump then repeated his bizarre claim that Democrats are pushing for the removal of statues of Jesus Christ. “Jesus! Okay, Jesus. They want to rip down statues to Jesus,” Trump said, before confidently predicting Biden would lose the election.


surely this guy has got to be losing his shine at this point. it's inane.
He's playing to his base and many independents. You scoff, but people revere the Founding Fathers, and the appeal of Bernie Sanders and AOC is limited to people in their 20s for the most part. This is a winning message in American politics.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6713|United States of America
I mean, calling your opponents communists has "worked" as a smear for the last century or so in American politics, up til a certain point where a "democratic socialist" starts saying things that a majority of people agree with and then realize it's just a boogeyman. However, what Trump said is patently ridiculous. It'd be nice if Joe Biden was secretly down for real M4A, lowering wealth inequality, and tackling systemic issues but I'm not holding my breath on that. I doubt the average American is as down for removing statues of Washington, but I bet there'd be less tears shed about getting rid of some Confederate POS.
uziq
Member
+492|3481

Jay wrote:

uziq wrote:

“The patriots here today fled socialism to find freedom,” Trump said. “And now Joe Biden and the radical left are trying to impose the same system.”

The president continued, “Joe Biden is a puppet of Bernie Sanders, AOC, the militant left, the people that want to rip down statues and monuments to George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, Benjamin Franklin.”

Trump then repeated his bizarre claim that Democrats are pushing for the removal of statues of Jesus Christ. “Jesus! Okay, Jesus. They want to rip down statues to Jesus,” Trump said, before confidently predicting Biden would lose the election.


surely this guy has got to be losing his shine at this point. it's inane.
He's playing to his base and many independents. You scoff, but people revere the Founding Fathers, and the appeal of Bernie Sanders and AOC is limited to people in their 20s for the most part. This is a winning message in American politics.
i do scoff, because bernie sanders and AOC represent living american politics today, contemporary debates, and the founding fathers and jesus are in the same category as santa claus at this point.

great politics! they're coming for JEBUS!!!
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6661|949

Classic jay, lamenting pathetic polarization of American politics out of one side of his mouth while dismissing Trump's words as "just playing to his base" out the other side and calling it a winning message.

It's almost as if, like, you don't actually have any values, and instead they change based on who delivers the message.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5387|London, England

DesertFox- wrote:

I mean, calling your opponents communists has "worked" as a smear for the last century or so in American politics, up til a certain point where a "democratic socialist" starts saying things that a majority of people agree with and then realize it's just a boogeyman. However, what Trump said is patently ridiculous. It'd be nice if Joe Biden was secretly down for real M4A, lowering wealth inequality, and tackling systemic issues but I'm not holding my breath on that. I doubt the average American is as down for removing statues of Washington, but I bet there'd be less tears shed about getting rid of some Confederate POS.
Oh, I'm not saying it makes any sense, or is accurate. Biden is hardly the poster boy for democratic socialism. But it is an effective line of attack to associate Biden with them, because most people think they're bat shit and that their ideas are dangerous. Pretty much every Republican smear for the past two decades has invoked Pelosi as the bogeyman. AOC is the new Pelosi.

Last edited by Jay (2020-07-10 15:08:16)

"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5387|London, England

uziq wrote:

Jay wrote:

uziq wrote:




surely this guy has got to be losing his shine at this point. it's inane.
He's playing to his base and many independents. You scoff, but people revere the Founding Fathers, and the appeal of Bernie Sanders and AOC is limited to people in their 20s for the most part. This is a winning message in American politics.
i do scoff, because bernie sanders and AOC represent living american politics today, contemporary debates, and the founding fathers and jesus are in the same category as santa claus at this point.

great politics! they're coming for JEBUS!!!
Bernie is a fossil, and AOC is a complete moron that can't get out of her own way, and thus gives her opponents an easy bogeyman.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5387|London, England

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Classic jay, lamenting pathetic polarization of American politics out of one side of his mouth while dismissing Trump's words as "just playing to his base" out the other side and calling it a winning message.

It's almost as if, like, you don't actually have any values, and instead they change based on who delivers the message.
I merely said it was an effective campaign message.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6661|949

"This is a winning message"
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5387|London, England

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

"This is a winning message"
It likely is, yes.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6713|United States of America
It's an effective campaign message to people who are already Republicans, as witnessed by the Boomers I see on Facebook complaining about term limits specifically for Nancy Pelosi. However, that is a cohort that isn't exactly demographically favored. AOC, a Millennial who grew up and lived in the conditions the rest of us have experienced, is gonna seem more in touch with the common person than golden toilet Trump or the millionaires in Congress.
uziq
Member
+492|3481

Jay wrote:

uziq wrote:

Jay wrote:


He's playing to his base and many independents. You scoff, but people revere the Founding Fathers, and the appeal of Bernie Sanders and AOC is limited to people in their 20s for the most part. This is a winning message in American politics.
i do scoff, because bernie sanders and AOC represent living american politics today, contemporary debates, and the founding fathers and jesus are in the same category as santa claus at this point.

great politics! they're coming for JEBUS!!!
Bernie is a fossil, and AOC is a complete moron that can't get out of her own way, and thus gives her opponents an easy bogeyman.
neither of them are important. they are talking to young people about political issues. what's trump's current platform? 'the other side don't respect statues or jesus!'

amazing policy.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5387|London, England

DesertFox- wrote:

It's an effective campaign message to people who are already Republicans, as witnessed by the Boomers I see on Facebook complaining about term limits specifically for Nancy Pelosi. However, that is a cohort that isn't exactly demographically favored. AOC, a Millennial who grew up and lived in the conditions the rest of us have experienced, is gonna seem more in touch with the common person than golden toilet Trump or the millionaires in Congress.
If you say so. You like her, so naturally you think everyone else should, or already does, too. Most people do not. Most people see an entitled, immature kid that doesn't understand the world, but wants to reshape it anyway. She is the poster child for what other generations think of millenials. Her Green New Deal was just about the greatest gift she could've ever given the Republican Party.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5387|London, England

uziq wrote:

Jay wrote:

uziq wrote:


i do scoff, because bernie sanders and AOC represent living american politics today, contemporary debates, and the founding fathers and jesus are in the same category as santa claus at this point.

great politics! they're coming for JEBUS!!!
Bernie is a fossil, and AOC is a complete moron that can't get out of her own way, and thus gives her opponents an easy bogeyman.
neither of them are important. they are talking to young people about political issues. what's trump's current platform? 'the other side don't respect statues or jesus!'

amazing policy.
Nearly every generation spends their 20s as idealists that want to overthrow the status quo and change the world. Bernie and AOC appealing to people in their 20s isn't really all that important or world altering. They would've voted Democrat anyway. People tend to get more conservative as they age.

Incidentally, this is why some among the Democratic Party establishment have been agitating to lower the voting age to 16. They don't trust them to smoke or drink or own a gun, but they sure trust them to Vote Blue.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
uziq
Member
+492|3481
and what's the reason why the republicans have been shitting themselves over postal votes and raising the spectre of voter fraud, to disenfranchise non-white and lower-income voters?
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6713|United States of America
https://twitter.com/AOC/status/1013784599019782145

A platform with largely reasonable and popular positions that only strikes fear into the hearts of Fox News watchers. It's no surprise to me that some old bastards have no problem condemning future generations to live in desperate times of resource wars and migration due to climate change, even though many of them have kids themselves, strangely. Those of us who reckon we'll be around for a while still might have an incentive to ensure the future isn't a miserable shithole.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5387|London, England

uziq wrote:

and what's the reason why the republicans have been shitting themselves over postal votes and raising the spectre of voter fraud, to disenfranchise non-white and lower-income voters?
Because every election cycle, stories of missing ballots being found in the trunks of Democratic operatives, and the like, make their rounds. Republicans are convinced that Democrats commit voter fraud on the regular and that this gives them another chance at stealing elections.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5387|London, England

DesertFox- wrote:

https://twitter.com/AOC/status/1013784599019782145

A platform with largely reasonable and popular positions that only strikes fear into the hearts of Fox News watchers. It's no surprise to me that some old bastards have no problem condemning future generations to live in desperate times of resource wars and migration due to climate change, even though many of them have kids themselves, strangely. Those of us who reckon we'll be around for a while still might have an incentive to ensure the future isn't a miserable shithole.
If you want to live in a society that guarantees jobs, health care, and housing, I suggest moving to Cuba or Venezuela.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6713|United States of America
Wow. Never heard that before. What attack helicopter do you sexually identify as?
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5387|London, England

DesertFox- wrote:

Wow. Never heard that before. What attack helicopter do you sexually identify as?
Not creative at all, I know.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
uziq
Member
+492|3481

Jay wrote:

DesertFox- wrote:

https://twitter.com/AOC/status/1013784599019782145

A platform with largely reasonable and popular positions that only strikes fear into the hearts of Fox News watchers. It's no surprise to me that some old bastards have no problem condemning future generations to live in desperate times of resource wars and migration due to climate change, even though many of them have kids themselves, strangely. Those of us who reckon we'll be around for a while still might have an incentive to ensure the future isn't a miserable shithole.
If you want to live in a society that guarantees jobs, health care, and housing, I suggest moving to Cuba or Venezuela.
remember this guy, he 'played the game' that is the great american freedom experiment, and is 'winning bigly'.

he just had to rely on the state and military to do it. not at all like cuba or venezuela
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5387|London, England
The secret to building a successful social democracy like the one she and Bernie want is to have the wealthy buy into the scheme. By constantly vilifying them, they are guaranteeing their own failure. Why? Because you need the rich and the tax base. Politicians like Cuomo recognize this, which is why he's resisted every Progressive demand for higher taxes on the rich here in NYC. The SALT cap from the Republican tax cut already drove $2.3B of taxable income from New York State to Florida. If they actually won and drove up the tax rates, the rich would just move to other countries or hide their wealth, because they can. They will just end up driving the economy into the ground with deficit spending.

Don't put your eggs in their basket, because they have no idea what they're doing aside from putting forth idealistic sounding plans with no hope of success and playing on people's jealousy.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard