uziq
+492|3444

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Contract work is especially good for all you folks who live in countries with universal Healthcare
i would be giving up very good private healthcare coverage, a generous company pension, etc etc. there are some large drawbacks.

working 60% of the equivalent hours for the same pay, though, and being your own boss ...
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5350|London, England
I will do it in a heartbeat when my side work picks up enough. It's scary though. I need at least a full years salary in the bank before I'd feel comfortable going off on my own.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6098|eXtreme to the maX
WFH Today

Apocalypse Miaow thinks its all-day playtime

The government needs to reopen the economy
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3711
I hope the lock down never ends.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6283|Washington St.
https://forums.bf2s.com//viewtopic.php? … 6#p3959486

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

people are definitely going to be laid off. Hope for a severance package in 3 months when the redundancy is fully realized.
This happened today.

Estimated between 1.5 and 2k people laid off. We're still trying to find out details but sounds like redundancies but blaming covid. I wasn't one of them but the writing is on the wall.
I've been trying like mad to get out but with the virus situation...
Nobody in my position (or similar) has been laid off yet, but I don't want to imagine applying for jobs when there's a few hundred extra of me all trying to do the same. I'd really like to get out now to stay ahead of the wave.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6624|949

pirana6 wrote:

https://forums.bf2s.com//viewtopic.php?pid=3959486#p3959486

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

people are definitely going to be laid off. Hope for a severance package in 3 months when the redundancy is fully realized.
This happened today.

Estimated between 1.5 and 2k people laid off. We're still trying to find out details but sounds like redundancies but blaming covid. I wasn't one of them but the writing is on the wall.
I've been trying like mad to get out but with the virus situation...
Nobody in my position (or similar) has been laid off yet, but I don't want to imagine applying for jobs when there's a few hundred extra of me all trying to do the same. I'd really like to get out now to stay ahead of the wave.
Wow that's a lot of people. You work in an IT-related field yeah? Or more MIS?
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6283|Washington St.
IT yeah
System Engineering / Administration

We support people, who there are now less of... Daunting
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
World is fucked up, imagine graduating into this.
uziq
+492|3444
err, many of us did, post-2008.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Well, not really comparable.
uziq
+492|3444
it took a decade for earnings to recover. so far covid-19 has wiped out the economies of western nations for a quarter. let's wait and see, shall we?
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
The GFC was a paper loss, this is a whole order of magnitude worse.
At least your generation could take a gap year and travel.
uziq
+492|3444
'my generation'? you mean people with £40,000 of student debt?

i think the dossing around south-east asia or taking the hash trail through afghanistan and india, bothering the local girls and being boorish was for your generation, who got through education without any debts and had an affordable property ladder to mount.

how was the GFC a paper loss? banks collapsed, people lost their mortgages/homes, their life savings, their pensions, everything. as well as the contraction in jobs, unemployment, underemployment, etc. but ok, a 'paper loss'.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
People are actually dying in this one, isn't the hit starting to look close to WW2?

Anyhoo, I was expressing sympathy for this generation but all you can think of is yourself.
uziq
+492|3444
the hit starting to look close to ww2? for whom? white people who you might be related to?

85 million people died in ww2. < 1 million have died globally thus far from covid. it's bad, but it's not looking as bad as world war 2.

unless you mean economic hit? the shops being closed for months was bad, yes, the debt is bad; but the cities haven't been levelled, dilbert.

i have sympathy for this generation too, but I'm saying it's not unprecedented. you are blissfully ignorant because it's something you genuinely didn't experience. to your comment 'imagine graduating into this', my comment was 'many of us can, and have, and are doing so'. unlike you. derp derp.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
This has barely started to play out, deaths could easily be 10 million, I guess we'll see in the next six months or so.

Back on topic, I suppose I should be overjoyed to have work but I'm not really feeling it.

My next task might be training the two people who are needed to replace me at my last company.

The PE firm which bought them out without doing any due diligence has put in a CEO who is even now a big fan of Jack Welch, the GM they put in has made an entire career out of stealing other companies ideas then bullying them into oblivion with expensive lawyers. A few years ago he stole some of mine. Whenever he talks one or both of his legs jiggles up and down like a toddler who needs the toilet.
I think I should charge at least triple my normal rate for doing this.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2020-08-27 17:12:36)

uziq
+492|3444
several major vaccines are already in large-scale/third-stage trials, with very promising preliminary results. we've already identified several clinical anti-viral or steroid treatments that greatly reduce the risk of death for those who fall seriously ill. it could escalate to 10 million dead globally, yes, or it could be levelled out to a residual flu-like annual wave with available treatments and good clinical infrastructure.

85 million dead though? we're a long way off a global cataclysm in terms of loss-of-life or economic damage. you're being a bit ridiculous.

two large recessions/depressions in the space of 10/12 years is definitely not ideal for anyone, i'll give you that.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6764|PNW

Comparing COVID-19 it to WW2 as a whole may be a bit off, but for specific countries, US ~290k combat deaths. So while two completely different things, it is a ballpark figure to help blockheads understand the weight of these numbers.
uziq
+492|3444
yes, we all know america did relatively little in ww2 and took all the credit.

28 million soviets died. covid ain't ww2.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6764|PNW

I do think the way the war is taught here could do with some revision, but honestly the entrenchment goes beyond schooling.

For instance, even some folks I know who consider themselves "history buffs" (I imagine macbeth would have a laugh) were seemingly incognizant of the Soviet war effort until I tossed them Unknown War ('78, and not a perfect docu to be sure) for starters, just to unlock their brain.

It seems silly to me that some people who still patriotically mourn American deaths in decades/centuries old wars have such a huge blind spot when it comes to COVID-19. I think that's the primary reason why things like Vietnam were put in a chart side-by-side with it.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6764|PNW

Imagine Trump in the 40s, calling Pearl Harbor a Japanese hoax.
uziq
+492|3444
i can agree that comparing the covid death toll to vietnam is pretty shocking/galling, and rhetorically effective, mainly because vietnam seems to be a generation-wide smear on america's history and often invokes images of suffering, wanton destruction, and sheer attritional waste on a massive scale. a lot like your covid response.
Larssen
+99|1879
https://www.theguardian.com/society/202 … oll-survey

Creating generations of dysfunctional people.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6764|PNW

What seems crazy to me is people who take the very real mental health impact this pandemic has and use it to suggest that we, in so many words, ignore COVID-19.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Whats crazy is how big an impact the people with very real mental issues have had on the COVID-19 crisis and how should have ignored them.

https://d279m997dpfwgl.cloudfront.net/wp/2019/07/AP_19201004713022-1000x667.jpg

https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/COcuYrv8ssRFfxPAa3dqFtDtLzo=/0x0:1968x1254/1200x800/filters:focal(827x470:1141x784)/cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/64791497/GettyImages_1157399189.0.jpg

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard