uziq
+492|3422

Larssen wrote:

Speaking for belgium/holland/germany, I can't remember a time when beer wasn't popular here, especially belgium. It's 'spezialbier' or speciaal bier. There's some monasteries that have been producing local beers for hundreds of years.
yes, obviously. we get that here too. but hipsters and ordinary pub-goers aren't going crazy for belgian blonde beer. it's always been niche.

the US's own microbrewery/independent renaissance is what has spilled over to here. now you can go in pretty regular pubs on any high-street and find at least one 'craft IPA' or something like the fancy pale ales that ken talks about above. it's a really new thing. same with 'independent' british brands like BrewDog, serving their own versions and branding of the same. it's not following belgian monastery brews.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
Beer drinking is bad. You should be drinking wine like the nice religious southern Europeans.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6602|949

Larssen wrote:

No blond / bock / weiss / dark variations? Just IPAs?
The IPA craze is slowly dying down. The next phase breweries keep trying to push is sours. Most small breweries will offer around 10-12 beers, with 3-4 IPAs, a dark beer like a stout, a few lagers/Belgian variations, and then a seasonal or rotating tap.
Superior Mind
(not macbeth)
+1,755|6662
One of my favorite beers is English. Samuel Smith’s Oatmeal Stout. Available here n there.

Mac, how about the ancient Egyptian custom of beer eating? They were very pious. Psych lovers too.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689

Superior Mind wrote:

One of my favorite beers is English. Samuel Smith’s Oatmeal Stout. Available here n there.

Mac, how about the ancient Egyptian custom of beer eating? They were very pious. Psych lovers too.
Wine in Egypt and Turkey is still significantly popular. Beer drinking is probably justifiably seen as low brow.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5328|London, England

Larssen wrote:

No blond / bock / weiss / dark variations? Just IPAs?
I mean, there's some of everything, but if you look in a craft beer beer case about half will be IPAs. Decent amount of ales, but many of them will be fruity flavored. I am a dark beer guy. I like porters. I like stouts. My favorite beer is Köstritzer which is owned by Bitburger and is decidedly not a craft beer.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6707|Oxferd Ohire
I love fruity and I love sour
Fuck ipas (and autocorrect) fuck coffee beer
Dark is ok

Last edited by RTHKI (2020-07-06 12:13:52)

https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6602|949

Stouts fill me up too much. After 1 beer I just want to take a nap.
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6260|Washington St.

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

pirana6 wrote:

16 miles total.
Not proud of a such a short trip but I'm glad I did something with so few miles because now I'm hurting.
16 miles in 3 days is no joke, but if you're not training/active then it can take a toll. I'm currently training for 40 miles. Can't expect to just get out there and do it. You'll just end up hurting yourself.
It was just an overnight, so 8 out on Friday and 8 back on Sat. But regardless, it was too far for me and I'm still sore. I don't know if I did any short-term damage but yeah training is key. Even the "training" you get from just walking around at the office or around town - which should all probably be lacking this spring.

IPAs4ever
I'm the jackass keeping the IPA craze alive if you hate them. Something hazy with Mosaic hops!
uziq
+492|3422
i like stouts/porters in winter, particularly oatmeal/milk stouts, and blonde/weiss beer in summer. i don't drink either in high quantity or for 'sessions' (we have 'session' ales here for that purpose, low % and easy going). if it's a really nice sunny day and i'm out and about, i'll have a bottle of white wine or a few pints of cider. cider is a great drink for an english summer session. beer is too gassy and headache-inducing, in comparison.
Superior Mind
(not macbeth)
+1,755|6662
https://img.ecoinform.de/produkte/bilder/LAMM/525_big.jpg

This is my favorite beer. Only had in Munich, don’t think I’ve seen it elsewhere

On topic tho: i got a nice tan goin

Last edited by Superior Mind (2020-07-06 12:41:33)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

https://i.imgur.com/TU33JsO.jpg
Superior Mind
(not macbeth)
+1,755|6662
That good Spelt
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

See if there's any German bakery/delis or grocers around your area. It's possible you might find it there?
Superior Mind
(not macbeth)
+1,755|6662
Gonna check it out when I’m in Boston or NYC again. Not much goin on here on the Vineyard.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6602|949

I've been looking for an Indonesian beer called Bintang that I love, but the only Indo markets around here are halal. No alcohol

I found it once at a bar, in can form, but i believe the bar said they imported it per specific request.
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6654|United States of America

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Stouts fill me up too much. After 1 beer I just want to take a nap.
Maybe it's because I only enjoy dark ones like stouts or porters, but I've never known how someone wants to drink more than two beers anyway.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6602|949

duh, how else are you gonna FUCKIN' RAGE, BRO!
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5328|London, England

Superior Mind wrote:

Gonna check it out when I’m in Boston or NYC again. Not much goin on here on the Vineyard.
Go to Zum Stammtisch in Glendale next time you're in NYC. They have an attached German grocery.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6076|eXtreme to the maX
ADI APS450 has turned out to be a much more versatile and forgiving pistol powder than the manufacturers loading data implied, which is lucky because AP70 and AP100 are discontinued and APS650 is still running late.
It works great for me, gives higher velocities at lighter loads than listed with zero indication of excess pressure. Others are using 10% over max with no trouble, I'm 5% under so feel comfortable.

I should be able to settle on APS350 for light loads even in .32 and APS450 for minor power factor loads in .38 and 9mm, hopfully rationalisng my stock from four to five different types down to two. They both seem to work better than AS30 and AP50 respectively, probably in part due to the reduced grain size.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Pochsy
Artifice of Eternity
+702|5513|Toronto
Neat--I know pretty much nothing about target shooting. Does reducing the number of powders come with cost savings, or just make it easier to manage your supply? I guess it'd depend on where APS450 is cheaper than the others you used before.

How did you get into making your own rounds, anyways? I always assumed more shooters would buy rounds pre-made and ready to go.
The shape of an eye in front of the ocean, digging for stones and throwing them against its window pane. Take it down dreamer, take it down deep. - Other Families
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6076|eXtreme to the maX
Easier to manage supply, don't have to worry about powder going off, I'm at the end of a very long and variable supply chain so for each powder I need to have one can on the go and one in reserve.
Its hard to find a powder which works well in .32 so thats two 500g can's to start with. Legally I can store 4kg without the trouble of an explosive licence to that leaves 3kg ie three types to cover other calibres.

About half the value of factory ammunition is in the case, it makes sense to use it. Making pistol ammunition is ~1/4 the price of factory loaded, including case ammortisation, I shoot a lot so thats $1,000s a year, and it means I can make exactly what suits my guns, and lower recoil than standard loads. Also there's no need for copper jacketed ammunition in target shooting and factory loaded non-jacketed is not common.
Plus I don't have to stock tons of live ammunition, just make it as and when I need it without having to worry about that supply chain.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2020-07-08 01:06:57)

Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
I am going to bed now. Summer hours means 11 AM is actually bed time.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
I almost sinned today but decided against it at the last second. So I donated $10 to the Red Cross. My karma balance is in the positive today. I am so proud.
Dauntless
Admin
+2,249|6712|London

What was the sin?
https://imgur.com/kXTNQ8D.png

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard