KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6601|949

uziq wrote:

surely modelo is the best widely available mexican beer?

i really do not like corona. i have never enjoyed it, not even on a beach with a lime or whatever, in its 'ideal' situation. least of all on a night. it very directly gives me a tight chemical-feeling headache.
Modelo Especial is a go to for sure.

Corona is terrible. I won't drink it.

My first choice is almost always a lager from a local brewery, but most corner convenience stores only sell large brands and whatever is popular right now. Except IPA went out of style like 5 years ago and you can still find 13 different IPAs in any given store.

My default beer is Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. I like it best a little bit colder than room temp. If I don't want to think too much about a beer choice I go Sierra.
Larssen
+99|1857
Alter, it's summer, get on the radler

Heineken in The Netherlands is delicious.
It's funny cause the dutch consider heineken to be very meh and carried by great marketing. Best popular brand in holland is Hertog Jan imo.

Last edited by Larssen (2020-07-02 15:00:44)

uziq
+492|3422

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

uziq wrote:

surely modelo is the best widely available mexican beer?

i really do not like corona. i have never enjoyed it, not even on a beach with a lime or whatever, in its 'ideal' situation. least of all on a night. it very directly gives me a tight chemical-feeling headache.
Modelo Especial is a go to for sure.

Corona is terrible. I won't drink it.

My first choice is almost always a lager from a local brewery, but most corner convenience stores only sell large brands and whatever is popular right now. Except IPA went out of style like 5 years ago and you can still find 13 different IPAs in any given store.

My default beer is Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. I like it best a little bit colder than room temp. If I don't want to think too much about a beer choice I go Sierra.
interesting. cool! i get sierra nevada pale quite a lot at my local bar. it’s pricey over here though.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
Whenever I see Heineken I think
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
Larssen
+99|1857
As for belgian beer try Jupiler, La Chouffe - but honestly the best belgian beers aren't big brand name stuff. You really need to go there at some point or buy a curated box. Every decent bar has dozens of local beer brands and there's hundreds of small time brewers all making different stuff. Brewing beer is a national pasttime to them.

Last edited by Larssen (2020-07-02 15:09:06)

uziq
+492|3422
the only problem is that you have to go to belgium.

la chouffe is nice. delirium tremens gets a lot of hype over here.

i can only drink 2-3 belgian blondes before i have to stop. far too sweet and strong.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6601|949

Larssen wrote:

It's funny cause the dutch consider heineken to be very meh and carried by great marketing. Best popular brand in holland is Hertog Jan imo.
Not a big radler fan!

DT is good but expensive here. And you really can't drink more than a few.

I used to enjoy the odd Leffe here and there, but thinking back, I haven't had it in years.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5328|London, England

Larssen wrote:

Heineken in the US is invariably skunked. I was pleasantly surprised that it was actually drinkable when I was in Amsterdam.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
I bought a 4 Loko. Mine says 14% though. It's crazy how they can make this thing taste like a Red Bull yet it has wine levels of alcohol. I wish I had a chance to try the ones with caffeine. Late millennials who went through high school when this was a thing are probably slightly dumber due to it. 
https://dydza6t6xitx6.cloudfront.net/ci-four-loko-strawberry-lemonade-e6951d911d6f386a.png
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
Just take a no doz with it
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
I usually have a cup of coffee after drinking for awhile.
uziq
+492|3422
vodka + red bull was the comparable mixer over here, very popular when i was a student. i would drink it exclusively at clubs and bars on nights out. that combined with lots of stimulants, of course.

the worst thing about it wasn't the hangover but the immense metabolic/sugar crash the next day. like physical shaking and withdrawals. so much worse than just booze.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
vodka + red bull was always way more popular than four loko. Four loko was a fad for like six months because some college student died and it suddenly became mainstream.
-Frederick Bastiat
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
There was a lot of scary news stories back in the day in our area about the dangers of red bull and vodka. Red Bull is kind of dangerous if you misuse it anyway. If your BMI is 25+, you shouldn't drink it after a 3 hour workout session.
uziq
+492|3422
it’s fundamentally a bad idea to mix stimulants and depressants in one drink. your heart is being told to speed up and slow down at the same time. it basically breaks physics d00d.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
I like downers. My alcohol resistance is pretty high nowadays but if I mixed a 4 Loko with a few big hits from my marijuana vape...
https://townsquare.media/site/722/files/2019/08/RS25697_GettyImages-177492786-scr.jpg?w=980&q=75
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6260|Washington St.
Got back from a backpacking trip in the Olympics for the 3day weekend.
Nice to get away from people but man, without the general exercise of walking around like usual, I am out of shape.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6601|949

how many miles did you do?
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6260|Washington St.
16 miles total.
Not proud of a such a short trip but I'm glad I did something with so few miles because now I'm hurting.
Larssen
+99|1857

Jay wrote:

Larssen wrote:

Heineken in the US is invariably skunked. I was pleasantly surprised that it was actually drinkable when I was in Amsterdam.
Eh it's overall light stuff that's accessible to anyone. That's what they seem to be going for, which also makes it less of a favourite in more beer drinking cultures. It's just bland.

I heard craft beer culture has been taking hold in the US for some time now. I'm sure you can get pretty good local beers if you look for them, esp. close to major cities like new york.
uziq
+492|3422
it was the US that kickstarted the trend for craft beer/lager, over 10 years ago. they have literally 10,000s of micro-breweries and independents. it's the US fashion that made pale ales and ambers fashionable again, not to mention fancy lager over the major european breweries. UK drinking culture has been really influenced more by US microbreweries, and their sort of indie/punk modern branding, than by belgian beer.

Last edited by uziq (2020-07-06 11:03:49)

Larssen
+99|1857
Speaking for belgium/holland/germany, I can't remember a time when beer wasn't popular here, especially belgium. It's 'spezialbier' or speciaal bier. There's some monasteries that have been producing local beers for hundreds of years.

Last edited by Larssen (2020-07-06 11:17:20)

KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6601|949

pirana6 wrote:

16 miles total.
Not proud of a such a short trip but I'm glad I did something with so few miles because now I'm hurting.
16 miles in 3 days is no joke, but if you're not training/active then it can take a toll. I'm currently training for 40 miles. Can't expect to just get out there and do it. You'll just end up hurting yourself.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Larssen wrote:

Jay wrote:

Larssen wrote:

Eh it's overall light stuff that's accessible to anyone. That's what they seem to be going for, which also makes it less of a favourite in more beer drinking cultures. It's just bland.

I heard craft beer culture has been taking hold in the US for some time now. I'm sure you can get pretty good local beers if you look for them, esp. close to major cities like new york.
Yes, you can, but they're almost all IPAs and I can't drink IPAs.
-Frederick Bastiat
Larssen
+99|1857
No blond / bock / weiss / dark variations? Just IPAs?

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard