SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
Don't let your dreams be dreams. Get yourself an Asian cosplay girlfriend
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6075|eXtreme to the maX
I know a married couple who dress up as hamsters.

They don't go out of their home while in character, thankfully.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
uziq
+492|3422
would your parents really appreciate you sharing what they do on 'foo foo thursdays'?
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Its not my parents.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
I bought a $160 Magic the Gathering Booster Box. These are the most expensive cards I got. The Mana Crypt is $150. The Demonic Tutor is $45. The Sliver is $15. Elesh is $20, Expropriate is $22, and the Godzilla is $18.
https://i.redd.it/0cnrk4w3bq651.jpg
I also got 360 other cards of varying valuable. Altogether about $400 worth of cards from the box.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6601|949

Scored 80% on a business audit with one of our largest customers. Feeling pretty good about that. Been working on it for about 6 months.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
I don't know what that means but I am happy for you.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5328|London, England
Refinancing my mortgage down to 2.75% interest. It's gonna save me about $165k over 30 years. Not too shabby.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
uziq
+492|3422
a 30 year mortgage? eeeesh
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
The smart thing to do would be shorten the term, thats where most of the cost is.
uziq
+492|3422
yeah if you’re making good money i don’t see why you’d have a mortgage > 25 years. 30 year mortgages themselves are a very recent thing here in the UK, mostly because of depressed wages and spiralling house costs.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

uziq wrote:

yeah if you’re making good money i don’t see why you’d have a mortgage > 25 years. 30 year mortgages themselves are a very recent thing here in the UK, mostly because of depressed wages and spiralling house costs.
Options in the US are 15 year or 30 year. I plan to keep making the same monthly payment I'm making now, which will save me an additional $60,000 and shorten it to 23 years.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
uziq
+492|3422
interesting. makes sense.
Pochsy
Artifice of Eternity
+702|5513|Toronto
The true playas are looking at the mortgage interest rates being so low and taking the cash they could dump into an illiquid asset and seeking other investments that return more than the interest rate on the mortgage. Not all debt is bad debt if it frees up assets for investment. Hit me up when you're ready to drop the Porsche rag top.

Last edited by Pochsy (2020-07-01 04:54:50)

The shape of an eye in front of the ocean, digging for stones and throwing them against its window pane. Take it down dreamer, take it down deep. - Other Families
Pochsy
Artifice of Eternity
+702|5513|Toronto

SuperJail Warden wrote:

I bought a $160 Magic the Gathering Booster Box. These are the most expensive cards I got. The Mana Crypt is $150. The Demonic Tutor is $45. The Sliver is $15. Elesh is $20, Expropriate is $22, and the Godzilla is $18.

I also got 360 other cards of varying valuable. Altogether about $400 worth of cards from the box.
That's awesome. Do you try to follow the 'investment' side of the hobby and track prices and set price targets for divestment? I have a couple of friends who swear by it and make some pretty decent returns. Issue of course is when you get into sealed product you have to store those fuckers somewhere, and it ends up being that a $200 bill is a foot long box in your basement. To me that's less than ideal.
The shape of an eye in front of the ocean, digging for stones and throwing them against its window pane. Take it down dreamer, take it down deep. - Other Families
uziq
+492|3422
the same thing happens with record collecting. if you're 'involved' in the scene and know which boutique/limited run labels are 'hot', you can buy up their new releases and re-sell them pretty easily for 2-3x the profit. you need a decent awareness of where the trends are going, though. and then there's the usual 'classics' and 'originals' that are slowly appreciating in value whilst stored somewhere in a perfect temp/humidity-controlled room, wrapped in 4 layers of cellophane, etc etc.

i sold a record for $550 once. that's my best one.

Last edited by uziq (2020-07-01 06:17:08)

Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
My buddy just got a basketball card worth $100k in a box break. I don't understand the collectibles market at all.
-Frederick Bastiat
uziq
+492|3422
i mean, a card of that rarity/worth is probably appreciating more than your stocks.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
I've already watched the baseball/comic etc market crater twice in my lifetime. He's selling as soon as he gets it graded.
-Frederick Bastiat
uziq
+492|3422
what causes them to suddenly crash? it's not like there's any disruption in supply or demand.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
The first time was overproduction. Everyone got into collectibles because there were stories about baby boomers finding $100k+ baseball cards and comics in their attics. Comic book stores popped up everywhere. Seeing the interest, card and comic producers flooded the market and crashed all the prices. The 2nd time was just a normal bubble pop. Collectibles are completely dependent on finding the greater fool.
-Frederick Bastiat
uziq
+492|3422
i wish i'd kept my first-generation pokemon cards. i had a whole ring-binder full of the shiny ones from the very first batches, riding on the first wave sorta thing. out of pretty much nowhere that ballooned into a collectibles' market a while back.
Pochsy
Artifice of Eternity
+702|5513|Toronto

uziq wrote:

i wish i'd kept my first-generation pokemon cards. i had a whole ring-binder full of the shiny ones from the very first batches, riding on the first wave sorta thing. out of pretty much nowhere that ballooned into a collectibles' market a while back.
I held on to mine and actually have a complete original base set (151 cards) all in near mint condition. I check around and it looks like it'd sell for around $700-800. It's still in the original stamp collecting binder I used when I was 11 and sits in my nightstand.

I have no idea how to sell it, though.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689

Pochsy wrote:

SuperJail Warden wrote:

That's awesome. Do you try to follow the 'investment' side of the hobby and track prices and set price targets for divestment? I have a couple of friends who swear by it and make some pretty decent returns. Issue of course is when you get into sealed product you have to store those fuckers somewhere, and it ends up being that a $200 bill is a foot long box in your basement. To me that's less than ideal.
I don't try to resell or trade anything. I only follow "MTG finance" when I go to buy something or open up something I bought. The collecting is for my own amusement. I trust collectibles investing even less than the fake numbers on Wall Street. 

"When Investing in Magic The Gathering Boxes GOES HORRIBLY WRONG"
Pochsy
Artifice of Eternity
+702|5513|Toronto
Interesting that there's a youtube channel dedicated to the investment side of Magic. I checked out a few of the other videos and wonder if there's hidden benefits to the returns this youtuber says he's getting. In one video he claims 6-7% a year is 'decent', and I imagine he's not reporting the profit as capital gains. He's wearing a shirt with "Alpha Investments" on the breast, though, so maybe it's a business he's running.

What a niche world.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard