Larssen
+99|1858
The marvel movies are just entertainment : great visuals, funny, decent scripts that deliver what you expect. It's the movie version of a theme park and should be approached with that in mind. Do you also dislike mid 20s people stepping into a rollercoaster? That's all it is.
uziq
+492|3423

Dilbert_X wrote:

I should think the X-Men have taught more people of today about tolerance and inclusion than religion ever will, And I thought Man of Steel etc were perfectly good.
if a person has to learn about tolerance and inclusion from x-men, then i'd say something is pretty fundamentally wrong with their culture and upbringing.

being a comic movie nerd has clearly made you an incredibly tolerant and respectful person. seeing those mutants persecuted by arrogant, chauvinistic or fearful humans has really made you uniquely sympathetic to the black cause in america, hasn't it? derp derp.

wait, aren't you the very person saying that people 'aren't meant to mix' and that all attempts at 'inclusion' are doomed to fail? is the message of the x-men that all the mutants should lose their individual powers and 'integrate'? did i miss that?

i'm surprised your takeaway wasn't that mutants are a fifth-column of special pleading radicals who want to undo decent society and enslave the innocent white man, tbh.

and as for 'films about impenetrable nonsense', yes, a film about family life shot in an incredibly simplistic style, with static shots, one camera, and five characters, is really complicated stuff. derp derp deeeeeeeeeeeerp derp.

Last edited by uziq (2020-06-28 02:53:19)

uziq
+492|3423

Larssen wrote:

The marvel movies are just entertainment : great visuals, funny, decent scripts that deliver what you expect. It's the movie version of a theme park and should be approached with that in mind. Do you also dislike mid 20s people stepping into a rollercoaster? That's all it is.
i've got nothing against rollercoasters or entertainment.

then again people don't tend to hang their tribal identities and worldview on their enjoyment of rollercoasters.

also my first post specifically said i am tired of movies in the nolan mould, which pretend to be far more deep and insightful than they are. it's that teenage angsty illusion of meaningfulness. this doesn't apply to 'it's just entertainment' argument at all.

Last edited by uziq (2020-06-28 02:30:49)

Larssen
+99|1858
I liked batman begins and memento, genuinely fantastic movies. After the batman series he started recycling the memento idea another 3 times ...

It also strikes me that I rarely rewatch his films. You see them once and then that's enough of that.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6077|eXtreme to the maX

uziq wrote:

also my first post specifically said i am tired of movies in the nolan mould, which pretend to be far more deep and insightful than they are. it's that teenage angsty illusion of meaningfulness. this doesn't apply to 'it's just entertainment' argument at all.
Who is pretending anything? They have a slightly arty style, is that what annoys you?
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
uziq
+492|3423
i liked memento, but it is literally a film encapsulating a formalistic concept that is taught in week 1 of all cultural studies courses, or film school (fabula and sujet). and i mean that really literally. every literature or film student is shown in the first week of close reading studies that a story has a plot with a basic chronological order and then a way of telling that story with its own temporality.

it's a neat movie and well made. the same can be same about batman or inception or whatever. but people seem to think that he's grasping at profundity. it's really not.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

There's even psychology stuff about comics and race issues. Adapted to a Psychology Today article:

The Racial Politics of X-Men
Can anti-mutant oppression teach us something about racism?
https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog … tics-x-men

Which goes on to debunk various myths (Myth #1: All oppression is the same, Myth #2: An oppressed group is in some way responsible for its own oppression).

Meanwhile,

Dilbert in movie thread: X-men taught us to be tolerant.
Dilbert in race thread: it's regrettable that it's not socially acceptable for white people to be outwardly racist; they're really missing out on a lot.

Which leads me to believe that X-men taught him next to nothing.
uziq
+492|3423

Dilbert_X wrote:

uziq wrote:

Who is pretending anything? They have a slightly arty style, is that what annoys you?
there are lots of hollywood productions with 'arty' styles that aren't anywhere near as irritating. it's the fact his style is overblown and portentous. you think it's big and clever, but it's not.
uziq
+492|3423

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

There's even psychology stuff about comics and race issues. Adapted to a Psychology Today article:

The Racial Politics of X-Men
Can anti-mutant oppression teach us something about racism?
https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog … tics-x-men

Which goes on to debunk various myths (Myth #1: All oppression is the same, Myth #2: An oppressed group is in some way responsible for its own oppression).

Meanwhile,

Dilbert in movie thread: X-men taught us to be tolerant.
Dilbert in race thread: it's regrettable that it's not socially acceptable for white people to be outwardly racist; they're really missing out on a lot.

Which leads me to believe that X-men taught him next to nothing.
dilbert spouts convenient claptrap he doesn't believe in for the sake of his own stubborn stupidity in a stunning new development that shocks absolutely fucking nobody.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

uziq wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

uziq wrote:

there are lots of hollywood productions with 'arty' styles that aren't anywhere near as irritating. it's the fact his style is overblown and portentous. you think it's big and clever, but it's not.
I don't think its anything, if you don't like it don't watch it and you won't get so fatigued.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Dilbert in race thread: it's regrettable that it's not socially acceptable for white people to be outwardly racist.
Everyone else is outwardly racist.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

If you want to join the KKK you're going to have to pass your wizard exams.
uziq
+492|3423
dilbert talks about fatigue and then in the next post expresses his fear-wracked worldview that everyone is racist and out to get him.

bad movies don't bother me at all. i don't watch 99% of them. you seem fairly exhausted and run-down with this non-stop culture war stuff, though. you're shouldering a lot of race-hate and 'white fright', aren't you? i get along with my fellow man, me. i go for drinks in my '88% white multicultural city'. life is good.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

If you want to join the KKK you're going to have to pass your wizard exams.
Apparently they have a polygraph so I'm not going.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

uziq wrote:

dilbert talks about fatigue and then in the next post expresses his fear-wracked worldview that everyone is racist and out to get him.

bad movies don't bother me at all. i don't watch 99% of them. you seem fairly exhausted and run-down with this non-stop culture war stuff, though. you're shouldering a lot of race-hate and 'white fright', aren't you? i get along with my fellow man, me. i go for drinks in my '88% white multicultural city'. life is good.
So you find films you don't watch tiring.

Please keep us updated next time you don't watch a film you think you would find too tiring.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

You can regret trends without watching the offending movies.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
I find not watching soccer exhausting, its amazing I still have the energy to get out of bed first thing in the afternoon and sit at my laptop complaining into the early hours.
uziq
+492|3423
once again, i have seen nolan's movies. i have no problem with admitting their merits. it's their dubious acclaim that i find questionable.

talking about 'over-rated' movies in a 'rate movies' thread doesn't seem too problematic for me.

good luck with growing out of your maladapted infantilism, though. i really mean it. there's a world of adult culture for you to discover. exciting!
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Lots of things develop 'cult' followings, apart from that do you think anyone really cares more about Nolan's films than M Knight Shyamalan's or anyone else in a long list of films no-one really cares about?

You get worked up about the strangest things.
uziq
+492|3423
L O L

Last edited by uziq (2020-06-28 03:45:23)

DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6655|United States of America
It's amusing that this whole discussion started from that hospital scene that was very much out of sync with the tone of the rest of them. I mean, the first movie had a schizophrenic Willem Defoe as the Green Goblin and the Macho Man as Spidey's first costumed fight.

I do agree that Batman Begins and The Dark Knight did open up the box more for the "complicated" superhero movie, which was already formulaic 10 years ago. I've seen like 3 Marvel movies of the current crop and cannot pretend that I think it would be worthwhile to watch all the rest.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

Did he throw pumpkin grenades in the first one or were they just grenade shaped.
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6655|United States of America
The suit was a repurposing of Oscorp's military project, so they're just generic explodo-balls.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
Some of the balls turned you into spooky skeleton though
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5329|London, England
Deadpool were the best comic movies
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard