SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690

Jay wrote:

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Kids aren't getting heavily indoctrinated into leftism at their public schools. That is a fantasy being sold to Americans in order to get them to support breaking up teachers unions in order to lower taxes. Most teachers are suburban white people who get the job through their suburban white people family and friends. They are just as conservative as the rest of their demographic group. Male history teachers tend to be the type who are obsessed with military history and warfare and begrudgingly teach the civil rights stuff before we could get back to talking about our war stuff.
It mostly happens in college, but some of it does bleed down to the high school level. It's in the textbooks and in the diversity assemblies etc. When I was in grade school, American history classes ended right around the time Kennedy got shot. Everything after was considered too controversial. When I was in college, basically everything in my American history textbook was about the labor movement, and unions, and POC and their snippets of history, and oppression.
I am going to say this in the nicest way possible: you have this caricature of education that isn't like anything actually taking place. Most schools even well funded ones use either older textbooks or the specific one a teacher used their yearly supply voucher to buy. There are no Social Justice textbooks. You won't read in a school textbook something like "capitalism is an inherently predatory system". You might read about how a labor Union 'fought for their rights' but you would probably be surprised to learn that leftist don't even care for labor unions either. And no one does diversity rallies either. Especially highly diverse school systems. I can't stress to you enough how old school, white, conservative, and upper middle class upper school administration is.

And your experiences with low level required college history classes isn't indictive of what college history education is like. Sure, you often get some lady or guy teaching "U.S. History 1" from the feminist perspective. But even if you happen to get that in your U.S. 1, and U.S. 2 classes, you can pick and choice the classes you want later and completely cocoon yourself from "SJW stuff". There was no SJW stuff in my classes about the Ottoman Empire or Imperial Russia to give you an example of how esoteric history classes can be.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6708|Oxferd Ohire
One of my history classes focused on the minorities of our history too, the horror of learning about the struggle of our fellow man.
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5329|London, England

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Jay wrote:

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Kids aren't getting heavily indoctrinated into leftism at their public schools. That is a fantasy being sold to Americans in order to get them to support breaking up teachers unions in order to lower taxes. Most teachers are suburban white people who get the job through their suburban white people family and friends. They are just as conservative as the rest of their demographic group. Male history teachers tend to be the type who are obsessed with military history and warfare and begrudgingly teach the civil rights stuff before we could get back to talking about our war stuff.
It mostly happens in college, but some of it does bleed down to the high school level. It's in the textbooks and in the diversity assemblies etc. When I was in grade school, American history classes ended right around the time Kennedy got shot. Everything after was considered too controversial. When I was in college, basically everything in my American history textbook was about the labor movement, and unions, and POC and their snippets of history, and oppression.
I am going to say this in the nicest way possible: you have this caricature of education that isn't like anything actually taking place. Most schools even well funded ones use either older textbooks or the specific one a teacher used their yearly supply voucher to buy. There are no Social Justice textbooks. You won't read in a school textbook something like "capitalism is an inherently predatory system". You might read about how a labor Union 'fought for their rights' but you would probably be surprised to learn that leftist don't even care for labor unions either. And no one does diversity rallies either. Especially highly diverse school systems. I can't stress to you enough how old school, white, conservative, and upper middle class upper school administration is.

And your experiences with low level required college history classes isn't indictive of what college history education is like. Sure, you often get some lady or guy teaching "U.S. History 1" from the feminist perspective. But even if you happen to get that in your U.S. 1, and U.S. 2 classes, you can pick and choice the classes you want later and completely cocoon yourself from "SJW stuff". There was no SJW stuff in my classes about the Ottoman Empire or Imperial Russia to give you an example of how esoteric history classes can be.
Sure, but it was there if you chose to go down that path. You could've taken sociology or women's studies or the black experience or whatever else as electives. You can't deny that there are entire departments at major universities that are devoted to creating community activists.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690

Jay wrote:

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Jay wrote:

Sure, but it was there if you chose to go down that path. You could've taken sociology or women's studies or the black experience or whatever else as electives. You can't deny that there are entire departments at major universities that are devoted to creating community activists.
I am sorry those fields of study exist. What field of study do you think schools are missing that you think should be taught too or maybe instead?
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

RTHKI wrote:

One of my history classes focused on the minorities of our history too, the horror of learning about the struggle of our fellow man.
I didn't mind it. I just think it's overdone. It feels forced when you go from talking about X President that did this important thing in history, to a story about this obscure woman that did this minor thing. If anything, it makes the minorities and women seem even less consequential.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
uziq
+492|3423
if anything, it seems like you had a really shitty version of a history curriculum.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
College U.S. History 1 and 2 should probably be "as wide as the ocean but as deep as a pond". I took both of them at school. I also did a class on the U.S. Presidents and a class on the Civil War to give an example of how much more in depth you can get with each specific part of history.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

SuperJail Warden wrote:

College U.S. History 1 and 2 should probably be "as wide as the ocean but as deep as a pond". I took both of them at school. I also did a class on the U.S. Presidents and a class on the Civil War to give an example of how much more in depth you can get with each specific part of history.
I took AP classes in high school so I only had to take the one history class. I know it's not indicative of the entire education system, but it happened to be my own personal experience.
-Frederick Bastiat
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
So you are basing all of your criticism of how history is taught in college on one class?
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

SuperJail Warden wrote:

So you are basing all of your criticism of how history is taught in college on one class?
No, other sources as well. My personal experience? Yes. Sorry, two classes.
-Frederick Bastiat
uziq
+492|3423
i think by this point we can all ignore anything jay has to say about actual college education, let alone subjects of which his experience is practically fucking zilch.

ranting about women's studies and media studies is a sure sign of someone who has never been on a college campus.
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6708|Oxferd Ohire
throw protesting in there too
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

uziq wrote:

i think by this point we can all ignore anything jay has to say about actual college education, let alone subjects of which his experience is practically fucking zilch.

ranting about women's studies and media studies is a sure sign of someone who has never been on a college campus.
Ok.
-Frederick Bastiat
uziq
+492|3423
you are thick as mince.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

My experience with generalized and AP high school history was that it jumped around from segment to segment. By necessity, I'd think. There's a lot to cover, and the civil rights movement and personalities are also important. It can't all be about the US presidents. I also had state/local and military/aviation history, which were obviously more tunnel-visioned, as well as parts of geography that called for context.

If Jay wanted more history he could have spent more lunchtimes in the library reading about the Sherman tank, or taken some different electives.

uziq wrote:

meanwhile remind me which is the target of most FBI investigations now? wasn’t it white far-right organisations topping out the list of terror threats?
"The FBI are in cahoots with the vast left wing conspiracy and the anti-American deep state."
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6076|eXtreme to the maX

Jay wrote:

You can't deny that there are entire departments at major universities that are devoted to creating community activists.
The military is devoted to churning out angry steroid-addicted morons, business schools are devoted to churning out a wave of Gordon Geckos, religions are devoted to churning out fanatical breeders.

I guess in America you can point your finger in any direction and it'll poke polarised nuts with a divisive anti-social agenda.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
uziq
+492|3423
gotta give credit to any screenwriter who comes up with a character name like 'gordon gecko'.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

uziq wrote:

here are some melodies. and drums. everything written, produced, mixed and mastered by one guy. but sure, liken it to a microwave beeping.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z56OiPR4r2s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fu54fqundYU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5rLfFzdXoc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWnUuosQwZY

i guess a young woman dancing around in a schoolgirl outfit is a talent, of a sort. or at least a talent to amuse men like you.
I gave Aphex Twin a try, I'm sure its musically clever or something but it doesn't do much for me.

'One more time' would have been a good song if done by almost anyone, good harmonies, wide dynamic range etc.
uziq
+492|3423
wide dynamic range? odd you say that as that daft punk album has a very narrow range. most electro/electroclash like that does. it works on laptop speakers, basically. the synths used throughout are very shrill and have lots of gain/white noise. the tracks all feel squished and hyper-compressed (they are; daft punk side-chain everything)

if i was thinking of music with a wide range, thumping electro pop songs would be somewhere near the bottom of the list.

although, yes, where they are obviously top-rate is in writing pop songs.

related to DP, this is a song with a wide range.

this is my favourite-sounding album of recent years, in terms of the audio mixdown and mastering quality.

best technical producer active today (oxford electrical engineer, designs software synths for a living)

Last edited by uziq (2020-06-02 05:08:48)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
I meant wide dynamic range in terms of the vocals.
uziq
+492|3423
aren't all the vocals on that album done with a vocoder or autotune? i mean, it's probably the most trivial thing about the entire production.

i don't disagree with you, though. that is a perfect album and does what it sets out to do perfectly.

i don't expect you to like any of the above examples on a stylistic/genre level, but, yeah, technically they are on a very high level. good showcases of what modern digital/analogue hybrid producing can do.
uziq
+492|3423

stone in focus is probably my number one right-in-the-feels song. i couldn't even explain why to you. it's like a 3-note loop. but i could listen to it for hours. it lies right in some nerve ganglion of my being.

live it's like a spiritual experience.

Dilbert_X
The X stands for

uziq wrote:

stone in focus is probably my number one right-in-the-feels song. i couldn't even explain why to you. it's like a 3-note loop. but i could listen to it for hours.
I can almost see the point, it just doesn't do anything for me.

it lies right in some nerve ganglion of my being.
Maybe your mother used to lay you next to the microwave when she was warming your pop-tarts? Its all I can think of.

Here's my preferred repetitive nothing. Its not for everyone.

If anything is happening its in the bassline and undertones.

Also

and obviously
(skip to 4:30)

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2020-06-07 07:01:28)

uziq
+492|3423
i have some old mike oldfield records. i don't dislike it, but it's just something very different.

brian eno is probably the most relevant precursor to all that aphex ambient stuff. no shit there isn't as much going on as in a prog rock song!
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
It comes down to how your brain is wired.

Its just that yours is wired wrong

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard