Adams_BJ
Russian warship, go fuck yourself
+2,053|6621|Little Bentcock
I like captain morgan, is that a thing anywhere else?
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6735|Oxferd Ohire
College campuses everywhere
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
uziq
+492|3450
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ … in-england

unbelievable scenes. the re-opening of pubs as a high priority (before schools in the UK ...) has led to ... the dissolution of social distancing rules!

Drunk people are unable to properly socially distance, the chairman of the Police Federation has said as pubs reopened in England for the first time since lockdown.

John Apter said it was “crystal clear” revellers would not adhere to the one metre plus rule as restrictions were eased on Saturday.

Prof Chris Whitty said the pandemic “is a long way from gone” and urged the public to follow social-distancing rules as pubs and restaurants reopened.

But images from London’s Soho showed packed streets into the early hours of Sunday.

Apter, who was on shift in Southampton where he dealt with “naked men, happy drunks, angry drunks, fights and more angry drunks”, said: “What was crystal clear is that drunk people can’t/won’t socially distance.

i see this as nothing less than government under scrutiny shifting the culpability to the public tbh. divert the flak and examination of the first-wave's causes onto a second wave, caused by the public 'not taking proper personal responsibility'. no shit! drunk people are careless!

Last edited by uziq (2020-07-05 02:14:40)

Larssen
+99|1886
I had a similar experience friday in a small restaurant that kinda doubles as a drinking place (few mates of mine worked there when we were still students). Before I knew it I was shaking hands and brushing elbows with people. Felt great & like it was never really gone but it's obvious that social distancing and social gatherings can't coexist.
uziq
+492|3450
being indoors is many times worse than being outdoors.
Larssen
+99|1886
Well yeah, and alcohol

It's also that people seem to have gotten tired of it. It's been 4 months now, that's a long time without a lot of social activity. I'm happy we seem to have gotten the virus under control quite well but I can't see a lot of people respecting the rules much going forward. I've heard of illegal parties in the woods as well now etc.

A second wave and shutdown is going to be tough on people.

Last edited by Larssen (2020-07-05 03:03:01)

uziq
+492|3450
well you either agree with the principle and need for it, or you don't. 'sacrifice' isn't just rhetoric to wield at other people, and then brush away when you reach your own personal breaking point or tolerance. you wanting a pint after 3 months is no different to jay being sick of his children after week 3. these non-essential social luxuries.

i'm for the relaxing of lockdown when adequate test+trace systems are in place. i can't speak for your context but over here those things are non-existent. the app was shelved after several months of dodgy development (the contract being given to one of dom cummings' mates, of course), and widespread testing still doesn't exist. it's a recipe for disaster.

Last edited by uziq (2020-07-05 03:06:03)

Larssen
+99|1886
Bars aren't open here yet, just restaurants. But are they just simple luxuries? I think this whole episode underlines how incredibly important social venues and gatherings are to people. For the 20-somethings, esp those who are single, I can empathise because those social events are a rather large part of life in that age group.

I agree with your assertion above, we're doing well on testing but contact tracing is still an issue and the app may not make a difference. It was proven to be mostly ineffective in singapore.

Last edited by Larssen (2020-07-05 03:11:01)

uziq
+492|3450
here we go again. i suppose to you having a glass of wine at a restaurant and paying 40 euros for some salmon in a chilli sauce is a 'spiritual experience'

yes, going out to bars and restaurants is a luxury. it's literally a recreational luxury. in a situation where 10,000s are dying and many more are being left to grieve, DINING OUT is NOT essential. what do you think people did in previous pandemics or plague scenarios? the low-level social measures haven't changed since the middle-ages, larssen. people didn't have skype calls and group video chats available during the spanish flu. you are NOT 'suffering'.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6104|eXtreme to the maX
On the plus side Farage has been reported for breaching his quarantine since coming back from the United Satan.

Australian money can be dunked in vinegar, can you say the same about British or American?
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Larssen
+99|1886
Social venues and gatherings are as old as time itself and a staple to life. There has never been a time in history that this part of existence was completely shut down, not even during the bubonic plague. Partly because people couldn't, our work from home arrangements are the real luxuries here, partly because they didn't really know what to do against spreading diseases. Maybe you're a more introverted individual who doesn't mind things as they are but for many quarantine has been pretty rough mentally. Yeah, no physical harm is befalling anyone and we're still walking around and eating, but life is also in a stand still and passing people by. It sucks.

Having said so, I agree that social distancing is a generally good idea and I didn't go out for a drink on friday expecting to shake everyone's hand. That just kinda happened.
uziq
+492|3450
yes, thanks for letting me know that pubs are very old institutions. it doesn't change the fact that people were barred from congregating in previous pandemics, does it?

as you just pointed out, it's easier for us to socialize and work remotely now than at any time in human history. really you are not 'suffering' a great deal in this pandemic. previous large-scale outbreaks have had far more disastrous consequences on human economic and social activity.

you saying 'it's really getting ridiculous now, i haven't been able to go to a restaurant in 3 months' is no different from jay being fed-up with childcare. this is an inconvenience to your social life, not serious suffering. and no, i'm not 'especially introverted'. i haven't seen my own girlfriend or family in 4 months. jesus, cry more!

Last edited by uziq (2020-07-05 03:28:53)

Larssen
+99|1886
We shut down beginning of march so it's been 4 months

It's less about suffering and more about tolerance. Look at it this way: some people have enormous pain tolerance, some start crying or are immobilised by the slightest pinprick. Similarly I reckon there's a whole spectrum of reactions to people being starved of social contact.

If you were living on your own, how well would you cope? Personally I was about to buy my own place but am pretty damn thankful the pandemic hit before I could do so - I'm still sharing an appartment with a friend for now.

Last edited by Larssen (2020-07-05 03:35:26)

uziq
+492|3450
i've lived on my own for 9 months dipshit.

let's just agree that relaxing lockdown measures, like letting people go out and get drunk again in large-scale public congregations, is a Stupid Idea when you don't have the testing, tracing, and treatment infrastructure in place to handle it. when you don't have local organization and town/city/state-level coordination of pandemic response sorted. when you don't have good data or a good handle on the pandemic's hotspots and coldspots.

without all of that, you're just inviting uncontrolled, and exponential, spread again.

Last edited by uziq (2020-07-05 03:48:32)

Larssen
+99|1886
I'm beginning to understand why you're so salty and irritable sometimes. My sympathies.

Oh I don't think we ever disagreed on that.

Last edited by Larssen (2020-07-05 03:49:03)

uziq
+492|3450
i prefer living alone. i own a 1-bedroom apartment. i'm 30 years old, not 24. my last apartment share was with a dj and promoter. fun when you're young but not good having parties in your flat 3 times a week as you get older.

just speak for yourself, it's much easier that way, larssen. don't project.
Larssen
+99|1886
My flat share is a lawyer so not much partying going on around here. Our app is big enough that we don't need to see each other either.

If the saltiness is your natural state of being I'll give you even more sympathy
uziq
+492|3450
my point being that sacrifices to social life are perfectly fine in the circumstances. you can use video calls to interact with other human beings. it sucks but it’s not like people are dying of isolation.

trust me, in the stakes of exchanging sympathy, there’s no competition here either. i’m not envious of a simpleton who lives in an apartment free of books and bases his personality on an ability to eat linguine at restaurants. you are one of the most Normal persons i’ve ever encountered. you’d be an NPC in a game.

Last edited by uziq (2020-07-05 03:58:10)

Larssen
+99|1886
Lmao

I must've hit a nerve when I said that only the pretentious buy hundreds of print books in 2020. I imagine your spare time is spent sniffing lavender while masturbating into your £350 artisanal french shoes over the life and works of oscar wilde.
uziq
+492|3450
everyone i know buys print books and lots of them throughout a year. it’s a totally typical thing to buy, larssen. i don’t know what sort of point you imagined you were making there. you can, you know, check book sales figures. that’s a hell of a lot of pretentious home decorators!!!

i don’t like oscar wilde. it’s really funny that you think the only people who buy paperbacks are pretentious aesthetes, who gaze into roses and wear carnations in their lapels. christ how much of a normal nigel are you?!

the real ‘hit a nerve’ scenario is you making out that ALL academic books are pointless and people who buy books MUST BE pretentious, all because you’re defensive over your 3-books-a-year habit. you silly boy!

Last edited by uziq (2020-07-05 04:17:54)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6104|eXtreme to the maX
I lived by myself for four years in a sleepy village with not much but church bells for company.
It was great, would do again.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
uziq
+492|3450
i did that in stroud for a short while, sleepy cotswolds town. one of the happiest times of my life. london and bristol and all the social mayhem a short train ride away. too boring and quiet in the long term but a wonderful break.
Larssen
+99|1886
Oh shit I forgot, wilde is too popular a poet. It must be more obscure! Sasha banks, the poet, not the wrestler, you mongrel! I picture you decked head to toe in artisanal fair trade 120s woollen attire, a wine glass permanently in hand and a shawl ever present around your neck, a frequent hated customer at the organic grocery store who can't shut up about the correct use of the word epistème to the poor teen girl who works at the checkout
uziq
+492|3450
no i don’t like wilde precisely because he went in for the fawning-at-roses and aesthete thing. it’s very fey. it also went out of fashion in 1930s oxford, so yes, there is that.

all the books i buy are a long way away from sprinkled rose-water and O! O! o! exclamatory poets. that was my entire point. it’s very funny that you stereotype book-buyers as some sort of niche aesthete, as wilde styled himself.

you really haven’t been in a book store in your life, have you? so much projecting and prevarication to preserve your fragile little ego. it’s okay larssen, you can be a smart boi even and only reading three books a year. you show those snobby Wilde impersonators!

i've genuinely never heard of sasha banks btw. i really don't like beat/performance poetry and read very little contemporary poetry in general.

Last edited by uziq (2020-07-05 04:53:08)

Larssen
+99|1886
Too popular, too recent, do I need to reach back into antiquity? That gilgamesh?

I hereby pledge to read one book each month for the remainder of this year. Fuck it.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard