unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

What a lost opportunity.
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6707|Oxferd Ohire
Annihilation 6/10. Visuals and camerawork was great but the dialogue especially in the first half wasn't good and really took me out of it.
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6707|Oxferd Ohire
The Lighthouse 9/10. Wild ride loved it, makes me want to see The Witch but it's not included with prime.
I didn't know I liked foghorns so much.

Last edited by RTHKI (2020-05-16 13:30:10)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

https://i.imgur.com/HgZMkAX.jpg
uziq
+492|3422
it truly is a terrible movie, and the more you tell dilbert, the more he hisses.
Larssen
+99|1857
12 strong: 4/10

My god what a shit film. Hemsworth can't mask his australian accent to save his life and the whole movie is filled with jingoistic hero worship, predictably terrible from scene to scene topped with some of the most pathetically bad dialogue I've heard in a good while. Do not recommend.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6076|eXtreme to the maX

uziq wrote:

it truly is a terrible movie, and the more you tell dilbert, the more he hisses.
You still haven't seen it have you?
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Larssen
+99|1857
Francesca hayward gets a 10/10 but everything else, no thank you, it's hideous
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Well I enjoyed it.
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6707|Oxferd Ohire
A Quiet Place, 5/10. It's just a modern b movie yet less entertaining especially the last half hour.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6602|949

If anyone is a studio ghibli fan, their films are being made available on HBO streaming platform.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
Schindler's List 10/10

What an amazing piece of film making. I think this movie more than any other explains the experience and hardship of the Jewish people during the Holocaust.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
uziq
+492|3422
alain resnais’ ‘night and fog’ always did it for me. a classic of french new cinema.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Schindler's List 10/10

What an amazing piece of film making. I think this movie more than any other explains the experience and hardship of the Jewish people during the Holocaust.
Great film, but ignored all the other people who died in the same camps.

Ma - 6/10 I suppose the point was that people can survive hardship as long as they have dignity. Take it away and they'll go nuts.

Whiplash - 9/10 Not at all what I was expecting based on the title but I watched it anyway. Also reminded me that I really don't care about hardcore jazz at all.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

Watched the Birds of Prey movie. It was OK. The funhouse fight with the roller skates reminded me of cartoons and 60s Batman. Margot Robbie stealing from a supermarket reminded me of a colorful character I once saw fleeing a Seattle grocery with a basket full of stolen food. Would watch a dozen times before sitting through Cats.

Read more about it online after the fact. Huge mess, do not recommend.

In the movie itself, the men are probably rotten because they're underworld figures and corrupt police. Batman is mentioned once, so was probably elsewhere breaking poor people's bones and hanging them from street lamps by their ankles. There's no Commissioner Gordon, no white-knight DA Dent, no Alfred, no Justice League, and no Morgan Freeman. At end of the movie, the female team are still dysfunctional human beings. Huntress is still good at murdering people with crossbows but can't really hold a conversation. Canary is still an (out-of-work) mob henchman. Montoya is still a disgraced cop. Harley Quinn is still an evil doctor. The pickpocket kid doesn't turn over a new leaf, but instead dives headlong into a life of crime under the lunatic mentorship of a murdering arch-criminal. Feminist agenda!

None of the male characters here were worse than Bane or Joker or Ghul from the Nolan trilogy. Obi-Wan was a creep, but he wasn't out to blow up the city.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Watched the Birds of Prey movie. It was OK. The funhouse fight with the roller skates reminded me of cartoons and 60s Batman. Margot Robbie stealing from a supermarket reminded me of a colorful character I once saw fleeing a Seattle grocery with a basket full of stolen food. Would watch a dozen times before sitting through Cats.

In the movie itself, the men are probably rotten because they're underworld figures and corrupt police. Batman is mentioned once, so was probably elsewhere breaking poor people's bones and hanging them from street lamps by their ankles. There's no Commissioner Gordon, no white-knight DA Dent, no Alfred, no Justice League, and no Morgan Freeman. At end of the movie, the female team are still dysfunctional human beings. Huntress is still good at murdering people with crossbows but can't really hold a conversation. Canary is still an (out-of-work) mob henchman. Montoya is still a disgraced cop. Harley Quinn is still an evil doctor. The pickpocket kid doesn't turn over a new leaf, but instead dives headlong into a life of crime under the lunatic mentorship of a murdering arch-criminal. Feminist agenda!

None of the male characters here were worse than Bane or Joker or Ghul from the Nolan trilogy. Obi-Wan was a creep, but he wasn't out to blow up the city.
When the Joker movie was released some people made the argument that the director deconstructed what the Joker was. Instead of a flashy cartoon villain the director turned him into a much more realistic mentally ill loser with delusions of grander. I have this hope in my head that we will one day get a deconstructed Batman movie in the same vein of the Joker where Bruce Wayne is just a privileged trust fund kid who knocks out poor people trying to steal car stereos because he has untreated PTSD.

I would also say PTSD trust fund Bruce Wayne is much more representative of what America is than red-white-and blue Superman.

I did watch the Cinema Sins video for Birds of Prey and got bored half of the way through with is extremely unusual for his videos.

Last edited by SuperJail Warden (2020-05-31 06:21:00)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Watched the Birds of Prey movie. It was OK.

Erm OK
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

I think TV beat you to the punch. I watched like 1.5 seasons of Gotham where kid Bruce Wayne seems like a privileged trust fund kid with untreated PTSD.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

SuperJail Warden wrote:

When the Joker movie was released some people made the argument that the director deconstructed what the Joker was. Instead of a flashy cartoon villain the director turned him into a much more realistic mentally ill loser with delusions of grander. I have this hope in my head that we will one day get a deconstructed Batman movie in the same vein of the Joker where Bruce Wayne is just a privileged trust fund kid who knocks out poor people trying to steal car stereos because he has untreated PTSD.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2975590/
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

Dilbert_X wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Watched the Birds of Prey movie. It was OK.

Erm OK
What do you mean? Following movie news it was hard to miss the gender politicking (e: that's what I meant by "huge mess"). I just saved the details until after I'd seen it.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
Almost all "women as heroes" movies completely lose me when their non-super powered lady protagonist start beating up multiple armed and trained men despite a weight difference of 100 pounds against them. This is doubly so if someone has a gun.

I can understand if she manages to beat them in a fight since she is a robot. But at that range and with those weapons those SWAT guys will tear her up. That's plot armor. So bad.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

It's just possible that after however many decades from now to there, that the police have gotten that poor. Like the human jelly beans on Wall-E.
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6707|Oxferd Ohire
Suburban Sasquatch, 2/10
A little too long but the sound effects are great.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

8/10
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Purge 1,2,3 - 8/10

They're pretty good films really, they could have had more gratuitous violence but I guess they crammed in as much as they could.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard