Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5328|London, England
Not including warranty replacements and excluding old dumb phones... A t-mobile My Touch, Note 4, S5, S8+, S10 (work), and S20 Ultra. Fuck, that's a lot of money in phones
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5328|London, England

Pochsy wrote:

I think I've had 3 phones total since 2007. Currently on a Galaxy A8 and I constantly feel like I'm wasting 80% of its functionality. I feel like the most demanding app I use is Google Maps, so really I just need something good enough to run that. The only nice-to-have requirement for my next phone is that it have wireless charging, but by the time I'm out shopping for one I'm sure that'll be a common-as-dirt feature.
It is standard now
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

Four in the past nearly 20 years. A samsung flip, blackberry, and two androids. It might be petty, but I miss the flip phone the most. Being able to touch-dial can be an underrated feature.
uziq
+492|3422
under-rated until you realise that you can just literally tell your phone to call people now and it will listen to you.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689

uziq wrote:

under-rated until you realise that you can just literally tell your phone to call people now and it will listen to you.
You can also just talk to your phone and it can convert your voice into text that you can use to harass people and BF2s. That last sentence and this was all just spoken out loud.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

uziq wrote:

Yes, but I preferred the tactile feedback and relative privacy over murmuring into my phone in public. I also prefer typing a letter over narrating it into my computer.

Still weird to me having someone bustle down an aisle hearing them issue stern instructions to their phone in passing like some civil war general but whatever.

If it was that big of a deal to me, I'd probably have bought two more button phones over androids. It's not like they've disappeared.
uziq
+492|3422

SuperJail Warden wrote:

uziq wrote:

You can also just talk to your phone and it can convert your voice into text that you can use to harass people and BF2s. That last sentence and this was all just spoken out loud.
this is true. but as newbie was getting at, dictating out posts at length sounds like megalomania. like an old writer. henry james or milton. dictating to an amanuensis and pacing a room.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
The best part of speech to text is being able to use words online that you aren't sure how to spell but speech to text will instantly figure out for you.

Tuberculosis.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

The spelling that word might have been etched into my memory from reading the captions on Tombstone.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/R8OWNspU_yE/maxresdefault.jpg
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6654|United States of America
I've never used any of the text to speech on my phone for fear of the exact opposite, that it will put in an unintended word requiring correction. Shut off all the google voice stuff pretty much as soon as I got it.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

The spelling that word might have been etched into my memory from reading the captions on Tombstone.

One point a failure of the media coverage of the current pandemic is that they compared it to the flu when an actuality the disease is more like tuberculosis.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

It's just a little huckleberry.
Dauntless
Admin
+2,249|6712|London

My phone history has been:
Started around 2001 with a Sony Ericsson that had a clip on camera(!)
Nokia N-Gage (lol)
Nokia N95
iPhone 3GS
iPhone 4S
iPhone 6
iPhone 6s
iPhone X
iPhone XS
iPhone 11 Pro

I just like swapping my phone once a year and never worrying about battery life etc
Never used a case and never cracked a screen
https://imgur.com/kXTNQ8D.png
Dauntless
Admin
+2,249|6712|London

I find text to speech pretty handy at the moment when walking around outside with a mask on, just being able to tell your phone what you want without unlocking it or taking it out of your pocket is great.
https://imgur.com/kXTNQ8D.png
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6076|eXtreme to the maX
Various Nokias
iphone 4s
iphone 6s

My sisters ipad 1.0 still has great battery life.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
uziq
+492|3422
i tend to get a new iphone every 2-3 years, when they make a substantial change to them rather than just the in-between revision models (ditto with macbooks and their bigger pieces).

i do find that i get about 2-3 years out of a phone before the battery starts to junk, or before the inevitable drop that cracks the screen. at that point it's normally a write-off, considering decent-quality replacement screens even at indian hole-in-the-wall places are like £110.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

I still have a lot of my old phones taking up space in a drawer. I wonder if the local electronics recycler will take them.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

I still have a lot of my old phones taking up space in a drawer. I wonder if the local electronics recycler will take them.
I saved all of my touch screen smart phones just in case I ever needed a backup which I never have. The batteries go bad if they are just sitting uncharged so don't expect to get anything more than a few minutes of use of them.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
OK, so the SQL database is managed by some bespoke executable which launches a set of bespoke front ends, apparently developed using "Component One True DB Input" all of it written around 2002.

Component One apparently lives on as some developer tool.
https://www.grapecity.com/componentone/ … ut-activex

If it won't all run on 10 in compatibility mode then we're going to need to find someone competent to deal with it.

I still don't see how converting it all to Access isn't a total cop-out.

Also on a cursory inspection it does have some major flaws, like using the same fields for different data depending on what you're doing - one set gets written over the other - and updated data also gets written straight over old data when both should be stored (I could be wrong, its not crystal clear).
Furthermore some simple changes, to names in drop-down lists, can't easily be changed.

Probably going to need to get someone competent to deal with it really.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Having set my resolution to max, 3840x2160, I need a better mouse for picking individual pixels in CAD.
Is there something with progressive resolution or something?
My standard Dell mouse isn't cutting it.
uziq
+492|3422
most mice nowadays have variable DPIs that you can change. however, i seldom see any use for high DPI at all, even on max resolution.

your average zowie or razer mouse will go up to 3000-3500DPI, should you ever need it. it feels like ice-skating on the tip of a bean, though.

standard/preferable DPI is somewhere nearer 400-600, fyi.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

I've got a giant trackball I've used 3ds max. Offers a lot of fine control. Just wouldn't recommend for Quake unless memeing.
uziq
+492|3422
i have never got the hand of variable DPI mice. only ever in like bf2 tank turrets, or something, where you want the comical 'spastic rotation'. it is unusable for any sort of actual high-accuracy use. you have to crank down the windows sensitivity a huge amount to have a concomitant effect. 3200 DPI @ default windows sensitivity is absolutely epileptic.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

Variable DPI is useful in games where you bounce back and forth from regular view to sniper view or even overhead, or like you say in vehicles like BF2 tanks. Depending on the game, the feature could be a revelation, a small convenience, or entirely irrelevant.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Is there some speed dependent equation for DPI?

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard