Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5349|London, England

SuperJail Warden wrote:

I mean its not random sample. Is that the prefer science term? I majored in history.
It's not a perfectly random sample, no. A perfectly random sample would require calling people at random out of the phone book and having them come in for testing. Even then you have some bias because not everyone will agree to it. This is a fairly decent way to do it. Not perfect, but adequate for obtaining rough numbers.

It's the same idea as election polling. You call X% of houses representing the population at large. You don't call every single person and ask their opinion.

Last edited by Jay (2020-05-21 09:34:48)

"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Larssen
+99|1879
Tss tss there's plenty historians who use statistics. Shame!
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Larssen wrote:

Jay wrote:

https://www.governor.ny.gov/news/amid-ongoing-covid-19-pandemic-governor-cuomo-announces-results-completed-antibody-testing
12.3% is in the believable but they don't say much about the degree of confidence. There's around 8 or 9 million people in NYC? Is 15k a large enough pool to make such definitive statements? There's still quite a lot of room for variation here, also due to testing locations etc.

Regardless, 12.3% isn't nearly enough to say that herd immunity is at an acceptable level or that most of the high risk have already been hit. On the contrary, it's still a limited amount of people who were infected, and the situation was bad enough that emergency hospitals had to be built and your governor scrambled for ventilators. Imagine what would happen if double or triple that number is infected dude.
It's 12.3% statewide. The majority of the state population is in Westchester County, NYC and Long Island. There are higher rates in and around the city. So that's roughly 2.4 million people in New York State. I'd expect Northern New Jersey and Southern Connecticut to have similar numbers.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3711

Jay wrote:

SuperJail Warden wrote:

I mean its not random sample. Is that the prefer science term? I majored in history.
It's not a perfectly random sample, no. A perfectly random sample would require calling people at random out of the phone book and having them come in for testing. Even then you have some bias because not everyone will agree to it. This is a fairly decent way to do it. Not perfect, but adequate for obtaining rough numbers.

It's the same idea as election polling. You call X% of houses representing the population at large. You don't call every single person and ask their opinion.
Election polling is famously bad too.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Jay wrote:

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Election polling is famously bad too.
It's not though. The results almost always fall within the margin of error.
-Frederick Bastiat
uziq
+492|3443
the margin of error with antibody immunity though is 10,000s of lives.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3711
Hertz, which started with a fleet of a dozen Ford Model T’s a century ago and became one of the world’s largest car rental companies, filed for bankruptcy protection on Friday after falling victim to its mountain of debt.

The coronavirus pandemic has devastated Hertz by grounding business travelers and tourists, making it impossible for the company to continue paying its lenders. A sharp drop in used car prices has also decreased the value of its fleet.
Bankruptcy protection doesn't mean they are going to disappear but it is still interesting. It may seem counterintuitive but if they decide to liquidate some of their fleet, you could end up scoring a nice car deal. Hertz always maintained their cars well. Probably better than most people.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6097|eXtreme to the maX

Jay wrote:

Larssen wrote:

Can we acknowledge the science at the moment has huge margins of error. 25% seems like a wild top end guesstimate. In terms of antibodies most countries report anywhere from 2 to 8%, which is already a huge range.
Amid the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, Governor Andrew M. Cuomo today announced the results of the state's completed antibody testing study, showing 12.3 percent of the population have COVID-19 antibodies. The survey developed a baseline infection rate by testing 15,000 people at grocery stores and community centers across the state over the past two weeks. Of those tested, 11.5% of women tested positive and 13.1% of men tested positive. A regional breakdown of the results is below:

Region

Percent Positive

Capital District

2.2%

Central NY

1.9%

Finger Lakes

2.6%

Hudson Valley
(Without Westchester/Rockland)

3%

Long Island

11.4%

Mohawk Valley

2.7%

North Country

1.2%

NYC

19.9%

Southern Tier

2.4%

Westchester/Rockland

13.8%

Western NY

6%
https://www.governor.ny.gov/news/amid-o … dy-testing
Great, so with a bit of rounding here and there America only has about another 900,000 deaths to go.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3711
The stock market went up 500+ points day. What a rally. U.S. unemployment is worse than the great depression but the government is still pumping money into the market in a bunch of ways and we can still issue consumer debt so all is good on Wall Street.
uziq
+492|3443
insane volatility. who knows where it will be in 12 months time.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Its volatility, still possible to make money off volatility.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3711
Another 2.1 million unemployment claims were filed last week, the Labor Department reported Thursday, pushing the total past 40 million since the coronavirus pandemic grabbed hold in mid-March.

The report marks the eighth week in a row that new jobless filings dipped from the peak of almost 6.9 million, but the level is still far above historic highs.
Oh no. Something needs to be done. What is the president up to? Fighting twitter.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3711
The biggest shopping center in the country, The Mall of America, has missed two months of payments on its $1.4 billion mortgage, a sign of just how much retail real estate owners are reeling during the coronavirus pandemic.

The mall, operated by private developers Triple Five Group, skipped mortgage payments in April and May, according to Trepp, a New York-based research firm that tracks the commercial mortgage-backed securities, or CMBS, market.
Same state as the ongoing riots. The owners should burn the mall down and pocket the insurance.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3711
Another 1.9 million Americans were added to the unemployment total. Those numbers are probably lagging behind the damage done by the riots.

The stock market is up 40% from it's low a month ago. It's really disconnected from the economic state of the country. Two observations:

I was in the protest thread on Reddit and someone posted on the weekend how "I can't wait to see the stock market Monday" and I said "it will add 500 points because the market is disconnected from reality" What ended up happening is that it added 200ish points Monday and was up every day of the week so far until today. Called that one right.

Secondly, I was reading a CNN article about the stock market rally and it explained that the stocks are doing so well since central banks are pumping stimulus money into the market. The article warned that the stock market, like the banks, are now "too big to fail". That means western government's will keep pumping money into the stock market any way it they can because the economic fallout of a bear market will be much worse than any debt we add take on to hold it up. If the numbers on Wall Street are fake then I guess the debt is just a number on paper.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Probably the dead cat bounce to end all dead cat bounces, powered by debt and printing of money.

Just remember, China can implode your whole economy by not buying your worthless bonds.
Pochsy
Artifice of Eternity
+702|5534|Toronto

Dilbert_X wrote:

Just remember, China can implode your whole economy by not buying your worthless bonds.
I mean, sure, but it's mutually assured destruction if that happens. Who China gunna sell their shit to?
The shape of an eye in front of the ocean, digging for stones and throwing them against its window pane. Take it down dreamer, take it down deep. - Other Families
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3711
China only owns a small portion of our debt. If they asked for repayment we could probably just borrow the money from someone else to pay them. People will keep buying our debt since it is the safest asset in the world. There is nowhere else to park large sums of money.
uziq
+492|3443
you vastly underestimate the steely reserve of liechtenstein.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

Pochsy wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

I mean, sure, but it's mutually assured destruction if that happens. Who China gunna sell their shit to?
They've stolen enough advanced IP and technology they can probably wage a modern war without needing Americans to buy any more smart-phones.
uziq
+492|3443
india, brazil, and the continent of africa are a whole lot of people. a lot more than *checks jay galt handbook, p 43* ahem 330,000,000 people.
uziq
+492|3443
Peter Temin says the world's’ largest economy has roads and bridges that look more like those in Thailand and Venezuela than those in parts of Europe.

In his new book, “The Vanishing Middle Class", reviewed by the Institute for New Economic Thinking, Mr Temin says the fracture of US society is leading the middle class to disappear. The economist describes a two-track economy with on the one hand 20 per cent of the population that is educated and enjoys good jobs and supportive social networks.

On the other hand, the remaining 80 per cent, he said, are part of the US’ low-wage sector, where the world of possibility has shrunk and people are burdened with debts and anxious about job security.

Mr Temin used a model, which was created by Nobel Prize winner Arthur Lewis and designed to understand developing nations, to describe how far inequalities have progressed in the US.

When applied to the US, Mr Temin said that “the Lewis model actually works”.
i'm sure 2 years of unimpeded covid waves and race-riots are helping considerably.

Last edited by uziq (2020-06-04 20:25:27)

SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3711
Economy added 2.8 million jobs. Not really added but just people going back to work because we accepted COVID casualties. How much of it is tied to stimulus and the Paycheck Protection Program? Who knows. We will see soon since the White House is now saying no more stimulus.
uziq
+492|3443
central banks in UK/europe are agreeing huge amounts of stimulus, mostly for massive wads fo cash to end up in the assets of the already very rich. meanwhile unemployment is soaring and furloughing schemes are starting to wind down/thin out. this is looking a lot like 2009 all over again: free wealth for the 1% to continue sucking the blood of the proletariat etc etc
Pochsy
Artifice of Eternity
+702|5534|Toronto
So I'm all about trying to soak up some of that stimulus and make good of the situation through some of my investments. Currently, I have a feeling the finance industry is going to catch up to the overall upswing in the markets very soon. The issue right now appears to be that they've had to set aside significant amounts of cash should their loans go tits up. If that level of defaults isn't seen (which I suspect will come to pass), that free cash should reenter their investment liquidity and move valuations higher within about 6mo. Currently I'm torn between the traditional banking sector and the insurance sector. Banks are trading at steep discounts at the moment (at least in Canada), but are less likely to show major upward movement. Insurance is at less of a discount, but has more potential. Going into hurricane season it's a bit risky a play, however.

What are your thoughts on capturing some of the benefit of market recovery in the coming months?
The shape of an eye in front of the ocean, digging for stones and throwing them against its window pane. Take it down dreamer, take it down deep. - Other Families
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
If you can stomach it politically, the energy sector is due for a huge rebound once demand returns when the quarantines end.

But I honestly wouldn't try to target any one industry. Invest in a Vanguard market index fund if you can and just sit on it. Trying to time the market is a fool's errand and only makes traders wealthy.
-Frederick Bastiat

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard