uziq
+492|3422

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Breweries keep trying to make sours a thing. Fuck outta here!
sours and saisons were big here about a year ago. i really don't like that.

stout is my winter drink.
Larssen
+99|1858

uziq wrote:

everything can be reduced down to its constituent parts you simpleton. the point is that a painting expresses something higher, in and of itself, and is intended to make you reflect on something autonomous. a painting has its own telos. i hope you know more than one greek word. look it up.

but keep knocking out those carbonaras and kidding yourself that you're fucking de chirico or whatever. i bet you close your eyes and think really hard and deep when checking whether you've achieved the desired al dente pasta. don't forget to light some candles and play some mood music so you can turn it into a real ~artistic experience~
it's funny how you can say 'I'm for l'art pour l'art!' and yet posit the notion that it 'expresses something higher' and 'is intended to make you reflect'.  no motherfucker that's not what it means.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6602|949

yeah same here. Do not like. I can drink about 4oz or a sour or saison before I start looking like Kim peek
uziq
+492|3422

SuperJail Warden wrote:

I have a picture of Uzique and Larssen trying to out faggot each other in real life.
i'm not being gay here. i am earthen and rustic. in touch with my bodily processes. epicurean, in fact.

this guy over here thinks going to a restaurant for a meal is 'an art' experience. you can tell his parents didn't take him to many galleries growing up. the low countries really are swine.
uziq
+492|3422

Larssen wrote:

uziq wrote:

everything can be reduced down to its constituent parts you simpleton. the point is that a painting expresses something higher, in and of itself, and is intended to make you reflect on something autonomous. a painting has its own telos. i hope you know more than one greek word. look it up.

but keep knocking out those carbonaras and kidding yourself that you're fucking de chirico or whatever. i bet you close your eyes and think really hard and deep when checking whether you've achieved the desired al dente pasta. don't forget to light some candles and play some mood music so you can turn it into a real ~artistic experience~
it's funny how you can say 'I'm for l'art pour l'art!' and yet posit the notion that it 'expresses something higher' and 'is intended to make you reflect'.  no motherfucker that's not what it means.
art for art's sake means art with no political or social agendas bringing it down to the debauched level of 'use'. it is a saying literally borrowed from aestheticist thinking on kant. it was mostly a bunch of posturing by sickly fin-de-siecle artists who wanted to refine themselves out of the grubbiness of naturalism and other 'engaged' forms of art.

unfortunately i really do have a master's degree in this precise subject, unlike classical epistemology.

but well done for googling theophile gautier. i love being inside your head.

Last edited by uziq (2020-05-22 16:44:48)

RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6707|Oxferd Ohire

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

RTHKI wrote:

um well ive never had camp washington groups always ended up at skyline
I bet you're a 4-way guy. Onions
3 way. Never had a 4 or 5 way. Heck I grew up with 2ways cause I didn't like cheese that wasn't on pizza.
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6076|eXtreme to the maX
Dauphinoise potato is tasty but it doesn't really cause me to reflect on the skill of the chef and the story of their path, the chef-customer relationship, the fundamental inequalities of the system, the rights and wrongs of the french revolution or anything at all really.

Its not art, its a nice alternative to chips but which doesn't take ketchup well, but its not art.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690

uziq wrote:

SuperJail Warden wrote:

I have a picture of Uzique and Larssen trying to out faggot each other in real life.
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51CuKZ-AqkL._AC_SL1000_.jpg
i'm not being gay here. i am earthen and rustic. in touch with my bodily processes. epicurean, in fact.

this guy over here thinks going to a restaurant for a meal is 'an art' experience. you can tell his parents didn't take him to many galleries growing up. the low countries really are swine.
Whatever, you are the tea pot and he is the team cup.

Last edited by SuperJail Warden (2020-05-22 16:43:21)

https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
uziq
+492|3422

Dilbert_X wrote:

Dauphinoise potato is tasty but it doesn't really cause me to reflect on the skill of the chef and the story of their path, the chef-customer relationship, the fundamental inequalities of the system, the rights and wrongs of the french revolution or anything at all really.

Its not art, its a nice alternative to chips but which doesn't take ketchup well, but its not art.
larssen is a discerning young bourgeois. he doesn't get much time to read novels or watch movies that aren't on his political science syllabus, however.

so he goes to his local butcher and buys a spanish charcuterie board instead. he can talk about the marbling in the cured meat! and about how the gauchos rear the meat in argentina. and he is full of such good cheer when he talks about the 'communal aspect' of meat and cheese boards, and their role in reinforcing ties of kinship. this way, he keeps his foot safely in the realms of 'culture'. he is a refined dude.
Larssen
+99|1858

uziq wrote:

Larssen wrote:

uziq wrote:

art for art's sake means art with no political or social agendas bringing it down to the debauched level of 'use'. it is a saying literally borrowed from aestheticist thinking on kant. it was mostly a bunch of posturing by an sickly fin-de-siecle artists who wanted to refine themselves out of the grubbiness of naturalism and other 'engaged' forms of art.

unfortunately i really do have a master's degree in this precise subject, unlike classical epistemology.

but well done for googling theophile gautier. i love being inside your head.
you think you're teaching me something new when saying you're for art for art's sake? Goddamn this isn't undergraduate stuff, we learnt this in high school uzi.

It means art doesn't need to have ANY justification or meaning. It doesn't need to make someone reflect, it doesn't need to express something higher at all. Don't try to bullshit me now. Literally any artist could make a dish and say it has plenty telos seasoning, put it on display for a hot minute and it would satisfy your notion of art.

Last edited by Larssen (2020-05-22 16:49:02)

RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6707|Oxferd Ohire
cheese coneys with mustard ken.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
A lot of 'art' isn't art.

Can everyone calm down and get back to sharing snacks?

I'm mortified no-one commented on the idea of putting ketchup on dauphinoise potato frankly.
But it works, and so does horseradish.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2020-05-22 16:51:30)

uziq
+492|3422
don't get sidetracked by the 'higher' stuff. none of them seriously believed it made you see spirits either. that's me having fun. 'art for shart's sake' was a very good pun.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690

Dilbert_X wrote:

I'm mortified no-one commented on the idea of putting ketchup on dauphinoise potato frankly.
Ketchup is only good on hot dogs and cheese burgers. If a cheeseburger is juicy enough with the right toppings, you don't even need ketchup.
Larssen
+99|1858
you agreeing with dilbert while you know full well he would look at your favourite piece of art and say "it's just a bunch of lines" all the same. He's not kantian, he's a barbarian.
Larssen
+99|1858
shit I'm sure he thinks we just called him a cunt too
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6602|949

Dilbert_X wrote:

People put ketchup on a lot of shit. Ive seen ketchup on ice cream.

Ice cream with ketchup
Buttered popcorn
Soda

That was a real meal served to me at 10:30pm in a town in South Dakota with less than 1000 people in it.
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6707|Oxferd Ohire
the fuck
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6602|949

we pulled in to the gas station/service center/General store and asked if they knew so and so. "So and so? He was just in here getting his lawnmower fixed. You guys must be the folks from California he's been talking about."

We were visiting one of my moms friends from college. It was around 4th of July and the whole town pulled their pickup trucks into a field and all the men had some fireworks display to shoot off. I felt like I was in a time warp to the 1950s. My little Americana story
uziq
+492|3422
larssen i don't think cooking is 'lesser' because it's not an art. i respect cooking. please don't be so mad at me. cooking creates its worst follies when it pretends to be art. it's when you get terrible restaurants charging obscene money for prix fixe menus, frothing strawberries and serving it with halibut, or presenting abstract expressionist art of jus and syrup on a plate the size of a child's sled. it's stupid. it is plainly pretentious.

yes there is room to be creative and innovative within crafts. but the idea is you are following a template. major departures from that template and you end up with disgusting food -- or a different recipe. again, there is nothing lesser in something being a 'craft' than an 'art'. they are side-by-side activities. i am not denigrating the creativity and excellence that goes into a good restaurant service. but pretending something is an art just leads to fatuous results. and chef's with white-ringed nostrils and very very big egos. chef's are not poets of the root vegetable. they are well-practiced craftsmen. of course any person who master's a craft gets to a level where they then invent their own blueprints, to be copied in turn. that's the nature of craft.

all this talk is making me very hungry. FOR THE AESTHETIC SUBLIME
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Is anyone really the arbiter of what should and shouldn't have ketchup put on it - or in a posh restaurant, next to it?
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690

Dilbert_X wrote:

Is anyone really the arbiter of what should and shouldn't have ketchup put on it - or in a posh restaurant, next to it?
My little sister puts ketchup on steak. So does Trump. You shouldn't put anything on steak.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6602|949

Dilbert_X wrote:

Its a commonly accepted indication of culture
uziq
+492|3422

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

My little sister puts ketchup on steak. So does Trump. You shouldn't put anything on steak.
several sauces or seasonings are acceptable on steak. chimichurri is great, i highly recommend it.

isn't ketchup just molasses with red food colouring? i don't think i have ever eaten ketchup in my life.
uziq
+492|3422
i just found the most perfect clip

omffg

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard