uziq
+492|3422

Larssen wrote:

uziq wrote:

Larssen wrote:

At this point it's pretty obvious you're taking the troll route because I already touched on this point with architecture, sure you can apply it to furniture as well - but nobody would ever argue there's not such a thing as 'design' and 'art' in those categories. I'll agree with you that cooking is a craft in its basic form, but it can be elevated to be more of an art. Just as a building can be a simple home or an architectural landmark. Fantastic dishes and presentations can also invade mainstream conscience and how we experience things from that point on. See how french culinary tradition has basically become the norm in the entire western world, from the way dishes are plated and presented, to the courses, to the actual foods and preparation techniques. But at this point it's also about more than just 'the food'. It's why we go to fancy restaurants, it's not just about the dish but about the whole package of the experience and how that plays on your senses. Like art.
you have some extremely banal and clichéd ideas about what 'art' is. 'it's subjective!' 'it plays on your senses'. 'a package of experiences'.

are you talking about pirandello or writing a brochure for disney world? who knows!

the history of french haute cuisine is very interesting, yes, and i am familiar with it. but why does it have to be an art? because something has become popular and has a sociology to it? leave the big hallowed A word alone. some of us are musing on the eternal soul.
If you go to a place like Noma (or any really famous restaurant) and call it 'banal and blasé' I'd say you're the basic one uziq. But sure - the ironic thing is that there's plenty (according to you) 'real' artists who will resist this notion that it has to be a musing on the eternal soul or have any meaning at all.
you seem to have a hard time following what i'm saying.

i like food. i appreciate food. i eat out at fine establishments. i am one cultivated motherfucker. the maitre'd at dorsia always gets me the best table near the lampshade.

just i don't think it's art. of course i recognise the centrality of food to culture, social life, experience. that in-itself is such a banal observation. so that thing which we all die without, turns out it's really important, you mean, and highly varied, ritualised, and embellished? WOW!
Larssen
+99|1857
I'm curious as to what you think art is that it would absolutely preclude any form of restaurant or culinary tradition.
uziq
+492|3422
i'm with theophile gautier's 'art for art's sake' and not 'art for shart's sake'
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6076|eXtreme to the maX

uziq wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

I refer to myself as a foodie because I like food. I like experiencing different ways to eat the same dishes. I like going out and trying new and novel restaurants. Its a way to distinguish from someone like Macbeth who eats for sustenance.

I'm not going on yelp and writing 4 page reviews about the egg roll I just ate (although i did once as a complete satire and got banned from yelp as a result), but I am going to tell you about the restaurant down the block that makes the most amazing pupusas
i can't be bothered to go in on foodies. they are objects of scorn for all the well-rehearsed reasons.

'food' as culture is valid. it's the centre-piece of domestic and family life, cultural get-togethers, etc. it clearly has some social valence. we bond over food. food is important. it's more than just thin gruel we use to literally get requisite calories. there is culture to food, i'll grant that.

but 'foodies' just abstract it, as if being able to taste nice things and appreciate them is some sort of refinement. you have a tongue. you can tell between a well-done dish and a bad one. i mean congrats? it just seems like such a silly thing to elevate into a pursuit. there's no spiritual or intellectual content there. and don't even get me started on people who can't eat at a nice restaurant without letting everyone fucking know about it. 'i've got a booking at ...'. here's my 12 instagram photos of every course at ... . it's like the anti-thesis of food. you pay all that money to go to a nice restaurant to be catered to and enjoy an evening with friends. whyyyy foodies, whyyyy
You can say the same thing about wine, whisky etc. Probably food is the silliest of the three.

The last time I went to a pretentious restaurant the tiramisu has gold leaf sprinkled on it, I didn't even take a photo.

I would hate to be a chef, living or dying by my last spaghetti, I can see why they go nuts and start hacking people with cleavers.

Car bores are one of my pet peeves, its a metal box with rubber wheels, it doesn't have a personality.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2020-05-22 16:23:52)

Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
Guys don't faggot up this thread. We were having a good time talking food.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Got a takeaway curry last night, it was nice.

Standing in an empty room 2m from everyone else waiting for it to be done was weird though.
uziq
+492|3422

Dilbert_X wrote:

uziq wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

I refer to myself as a foodie because I like food. I like experiencing different ways to eat the same dishes. I like going out and trying new and novel restaurants. Its a way to distinguish from someone like Macbeth who eats for sustenance.

I'm not going on yelp and writing 4 page reviews about the egg roll I just ate (although i did once as a complete satire and got banned from yelp as a result), but I am going to tell you about the restaurant down the block that makes the most amazing pupusas
i can't be bothered to go in on foodies. they are objects of scorn for all the well-rehearsed reasons.

'food' as culture is valid. it's the centre-piece of domestic and family life, cultural get-togethers, etc. it clearly has some social valence. we bond over food. food is important. it's more than just thin gruel we use to literally get requisite calories. there is culture to food, i'll grant that.

but 'foodies' just abstract it, as if being able to taste nice things and appreciate them is some sort of refinement. you have a tongue. you can tell between a well-done dish and a bad one. i mean congrats? it just seems like such a silly thing to elevate into a pursuit. there's no spiritual or intellectual content there. and don't even get me started on people who can't eat at a nice restaurant without letting everyone fucking know about it. 'i've got a booking at ...'. here's my 12 instagram photos of every course at ... . it's like the anti-thesis of food. you pay all that money to go to a nice restaurant to be catered to and enjoy an evening with friends. whyyyy foodies, whyyyy
You can say the same thing about wine, whisky etc. Probably food is the silliest of the three.

The last time I went to a pretentious restaurant the tiramisu has gold leaf sprinkled on it, I didn't even take a photo.

I would hate to be a chef, living or dying by my last spaghetti, I can see why they go nuts and start hacking people with cleavers.
i like good whiskey. i like good food. i overwhelmingly prefer it done well to done badly. i will discern and prefer to my heart's content.

but 'the art of whiskey'? no no no. you can tell me all about the traditions, the thousands of years of practice, the slow perfecting of recipes, the antique pewter mash tuns .... whatever. that's interesting. it has a history. it has a sociology. but ART? i have to drink a lot of whiskey before i start seeing the spirit realm, man.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Well its not art its craft, I can appreciate craft a lot more than art but art it isn't.
uziq
+492|3422
another good kantian. thank you, sir, a man of elevated reasoning and gelid, alpine perceptions.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
Why do they call it craft beer? And why do people like traveling long distances to drink it a hispter bars?
Larssen
+99|1857
well by now that's an absolutely antique interpretation of art. get with the times uzique. you have people like olafur eliasson explicitly connecting food and art using it to express ideas and make people think. Which is a logical leap after all. i don't see how you can acknowledge food has such a cultural impact but not see it as a way through which people can be made to think about themselves or their environment on a little deeper level. even if that's not the point - art can also be merely about the experience - food fits the bill.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6602|949

I would like to circle back to macbeths confession about learning how to cook rice and make grilled cheese at 30 years old. Isn't he SUCH a weirdo?
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6707|Oxferd Ohire
i never had mac n cheese till like 2 years ago
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6602|949

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Why do they call it craft beer? And why do people like traveling long distances to drink it a hispter bars?
it refers to a specific amount brewed. I don't remember off the top of my head but there's an actual classification for craft beer
uziq
+492|3422

Larssen wrote:

well by now that's an absolutely antique interpretation of art. get with the times uzique. you have people like olafur eliasson explicitly connecting food and art using it to express ideas and make people think. Which is a logical leap after all. i don't see how you can acknowledge food has such a cultural impact but not see it as a way through which people can be made to think about themselves or their environment on a little deeper level. even if that's not the point - art can also be merely about the experience - food fits the bill.
please tell me how chilli flakes on salmon make you 'think about yourself and your environment on a deeper level'.

i knew you were pretty small fry on the intellectual level but this is a new development. has food given you any epiphanies lately? was it the tiramisu?
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Why do hipsters do anything?

Craft beer is a PITA, two pints and you're bloated and tired, useless as an all-night drinking beer.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6602|949

RTHKI wrote:

i never had mac n cheese till like 2 years ago
are you a skyline or camp Washington guy?
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6707|Oxferd Ohire
um well ive never had camp washington groups always ended up at skyline
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
Larssen
+99|1857

uziq wrote:

Larssen wrote:

please tell me how chilli flakes on salmon make you 'think about yourself and your environment on a deeper level'.

i knew you were pretty small fry on the intellectual level but this is a new development. has food given you any epiphanies lately? was it the tiramisu?
i'm gonna go with a world renowned artist and former professor over your basic attitude wrt food man. Didn't I just tell you the food experience can be elevated to be more than just the mechanical act of eating? It's like saying a painting is but a few lines on a canvas, what is there to enjoy or learn. You disappoint me yet again.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6602|949

Dilbert_X wrote:

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Craft beer is a PITA, two pints and you're bloated and tired, useless as an all-night drinking beer.
>.<

You don't have to drink a Stout or a hoppy ale. Try a pilsner or lager. I pivoted to pils and lagers almost exclusively. There is nothing about craft beer that says it has to be rich and filling.

Breweries keep trying to make sours a thing. Fuck outta here!
uziq
+492|3422
a world-renowned what now? some tenured cuckoo cawing on about 'plating rituals in the auvergne' being art? ok bro. i'm over here with Kant. he's got a really big brain and you don't.

It's like saying a painting is but a few lines on a canvas, what is there to enjoy or learn. You disappoint me yet again.
everything can be reduced down to its constituent parts you simpleton. the point is that a painting expresses something higher, in and of itself, and is intended to make you reflect on something autonomous. a painting has its own telos. i hope you know more than one greek word. look it up.

but keep knocking out those carbonaras and kidding yourself that you're fucking de chirico or whatever. i bet you close your eyes and think really hard and deep when checking whether you've achieved the desired al dente pasta. don't forget to light some candles and play some mood music so you can turn it into a real ~artistic experience~

Last edited by uziq (2020-05-22 16:36:22)

KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6602|949

RTHKI wrote:

um well ive never had camp washington groups always ended up at skyline
I bet you're a 4-way guy. Onions
Larssen
+99|1857
spoken like a true undergraduate hipster
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
I have a picture of Uzique and Larssen trying to out faggot each other in real life.
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51CuKZ-AqkL._AC_SL1000_.jpg
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

SuperJail Warden wrote:

>.<

You don't have to drink a Stout or a hoppy ale. Try a pilsner or lager. I pivoted to pils and lagers almost exclusively. There is nothing about craft beer that says it has to be rich and filling.

Breweries keep trying to make sours a thing. Fuck outta here!
Oh I agree, pilsners and lagers are my picks, it used to be pale ale but the 'craft' crowd have fucked those up, they'll do it to lager next.
I'm sure it'll taste nice from a sampling thimble but not after a gallon.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard