SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
You didn't have issues with flickering screens between loading?
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6707|Oxferd Ohire
not that i recall
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
Dauntless
Admin
+2,249|6712|London

What are you guys talking about? Windows 10 is the best Windows

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

I find the lack of driver support for older hardware (not completely Microsoft's fault) to be the most irritating factor of Windows 10, but it was also an irritating factor of Windows 7 on even older PCs. I don't want to buy a new computer every five years, but I feel like I'm getting forced into it for sheer convenience. Kind of a first world problem, though. If I didn't PC game or run media productivity, I'd be fine on a $200 laptop.
It's not at all Microsoft's fault.

It's not up to Microsoft to make sure every bit of old hardware has supported drivers, the hardware vendor should make the drivers compatible
https://imgur.com/kXTNQ8D.png
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

Um, I know it's not Microsoft's fault. But can still be irritating running the operating system when obviously non-Microsoft hardware manufacturers have since discontinued support into next-gen operating systems.

That's a thing that can make Windows 10 annoying to use, you know.

And also when update finds the wrong driver and installs that, causing no end of problems.
uziq
+492|3422
look at the 'ole MS shill over here! forget it mate, ballmer ain't never gonna call you back after that stunt you pulled on the team-building day.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

I would probably consider 3.1/11, 98, and XP better Windows for their day and age. One would expect to have to tear out the bloatware when they buy a pre-built PC, but not from just installing an operating system.

Also taking out the usual timewaster games and putting them on the stupid app store. *& right off with that.
Dauntless
Admin
+2,249|6712|London

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Um, I know it's not Microsoft's fault. But can still be irritating running the operating system when obviously non-Microsoft hardware manufacturers have since discontinued support into next-gen operating systems.

That's a thing that can make Windows 10 annoying to use, you know.

And also when update finds the wrong driver and installs that, causing no end of problems.
Oh I thought it not being entirely their fault meant it was slightly their fault, fair enough but it's a hardware problem rather than an OS problem

Haven't heard of that being an issue but I don't install drivers from windows update.

The bloatware stuff is a bit annoying I agree but it's pretty easy to install a clean debloated image.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

Doesn't really excuse anything. At what MS charges retail, the default state should be "debloated."

Also if windows update automatically finds and installs a driver that breaks things, that is sort of their fault. It cost me three days out of my December in troubleshooting.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6076|eXtreme to the maX

Dauntless wrote:

It's not up to Microsoft to make sure every bit of old hardware has supported drivers, the hardware vendor should make the drivers compatible
Bit mean to release updates which render old hardware useless though. I mean, isn't their software supposed to run on hardware?

"Sorry sir but Ford just released an update, now the engine on your 2003 Focus won't start. You can go to the scrapyard and see if there's a wreck you can pull the old drivers off or just scrap it"

It would be nice if there were a tickbox "Would you like to install the new software and brick your machine or just carry on as you are?"
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690

RTHKI wrote:

not that i recall
I just reinstalled it and for some reason it is running fine despite barely running at all for the last decade. Amazing.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
Trying to look at the passwords in Chrome and Microsoft account services window pops up telling me to sign in or else I can't see my chrome stored passwords. Like why are you even talking to me MS? This is none of your business.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6602|949

that's weird. Do you have an o365 account password saved? I just checked and I didn't have that issue, although I'm always signed in so maybe that's why.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
For some reason this version of Win 10 will not install without forcing me to sign into Windows. Other versions of Win 10 I have installed on other drives don't do this but my main one I bought legit from Microcenter requires it. I think it is tied to the CD key since I use the same USB drive for installing it as the others.

I have disabled all Windows signing in and telemetry once I was fully installed.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6602|949

OEM version perhaps?
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
That is probably it. I got it on a discount there when I bought my motherboard, CPU, ram, PSU, and probably other stuff I am forgetting.

DVD drive.
Dauntless
Admin
+2,249|6712|London

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Doesn't really excuse anything. At what MS charges retail, the default state should be "debloated."

Also if windows update automatically finds and installs a driver that breaks things, that is sort of their fault. It cost me three days out of my December in troubleshooting.
They let you upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 for FREE and Windows 7 was released over 10 years ago... they've also said Windows 10 is the last version of Windows they'll do. It's also the software that almost every other bit of software in the world runs on. What do you think that's worth? $3.50?
Seems like pretty good value to me

I don't know what broke for you or why but Windows 7 also installed drivers if you let it. Yes maybe they made a mistake with an update, it's still the best OS around. Get a mac or run Linux if you don't like it

Dilbert_X wrote:

Dauntless wrote:

Bit mean to release updates which render old hardware useless though. I mean, isn't their software supposed to run on hardware?

"Sorry sir but Ford just released an update, now the engine on your 2003 Focus won't start. You can go to the scrapyard and see if there's a wreck you can pull the old drivers off or just scrap it"

It would be nice if there were a tickbox "Would you like to install the new software and brick your machine or just carry on as you are?"
There is a tickbox? If you really want to you can stay on Windows XP or 7 or whatever you had when you got that hardward but that's obviously a stupid idea as you won't get any security updates. Your choice though.

Keep driving a Model T if that floats your boat

It's not as if you need to spend £1000s or have cutting edge equipment to run Windows - it can run on a fukin Rasberry Pi!

Also I can't believe Android aren't letting me update to the latest OS on my Galaxy S2! So mean!
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

Dauntless wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

They let you upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 for FREE and Windows 7 was released over 10 years ago... they've also said Windows 10 is the last version of Windows they'll do. It's also the software that almost every other bit of software in the world runs on. What do you think that's worth? $3.50?

I don't know what broke for you or why but Windows 7 also installed drivers if you let it. Yes maybe they made a mistake with an update, it's still the best OS around. Get a mac or run Linux if you don't like it
"Get a mac or run Linux if you don't like it."

You sound like one of those guys telling people to move out of the country when they criticize xyz president. I think it is quite reasonable to expect an OS to only install bloatware on demand, and for it to be a little more careful about driver updates on ten year old hardware.

Also the future of Windows 10 remains very much up in the air with how obnoxious Microsoft wants to get with their service model.

Imagine pointing out annoyances and flaws about Windows 10 in a Windows thread, then having a Windows fanboy (greatest OS ever!) tell you to run Linux or whatever. Hot recommend, Dauntless. Quite measured.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6602|949

It can only run on a pi if you have the disk space to store the install but yeah
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

I also found out awhile back that after my December reinstall, Windows had both of my SSDs set to defragment on a schedule. Bunch of angels over there on the Windows team.
Dauntless
Admin
+2,249|6712|London

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Dauntless wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

"Get a mac or run Linux if you don't like it."

You sound like one of those guys telling people to move out of the country when they criticize xyz president. I think it is quite reasonable to expect an OS to only install bloatware on demand, and for it to be a little more careful about driver updates on ten year old hardware.

Also the future of Windows 10 remains very much up in the air with how obnoxious Microsoft wants to get with their service model.

Imagine pointing out annoyances and flaws about Windows 10 in a Windows thread, then having a Windows fanboy (greatest OS ever!) tell you to run Linux or whatever. Hot recommend, Dauntless. Quite measured.
Fair enough, ignore that last comment but my other points still stand - there's things that could be better but it's far and away the best Windows

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

I also found out awhile back that after my December reinstall, Windows had both of my SSDs set to defragment on a schedule. Bunch of angels over there on the Windows team.
Er yeah, another thing Win 10 does better... but you probably turned that off because you know better? Do you also registry cleaners?

https://www.hanselman.com/blog/TheRealA … urSSD.aspx

They were helping extend the performance and life of your drives without you needing to think about it.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

OK fair enough, but did you read the full article? Perhaps Microsoft should change the language used in that program.

The settings were unchanged. I was planning to look into it this weekend to see if there was a legitimate reason for it.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
My mom is totally tech illiterate and has a budget HP laptop she uses for YouTube. It has Win 10 on it installed on a hard disk. The thing is painfully slow and the hard disk is constantly at 100% due to Windows system processes doing stuff in the background. I had to go into services and shut a bunch of things off to make it a little more usable. Apparently Windows 10 just runs like shit on any hard disk. That's just a thing now.

It's funny that back in the day 120 GB disk was entry level and we slowly moved to 1 TB hard disk. But because Win 10 is doing good knows what in the background, we now need SSDs and 250 GB SSDs are the entry level.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

Also doesn't invalidate my former complaints here, dauntless. Also how did dilbert's 2003 Focus analogy turn into a "haha, keep driving your Model T?" I would be pretty upset if a software update to a relatively new car "bricked" it.

It seems pretty avoidable for a Windows update to avoid installing a driver unless it's 100% sure of what the hardware is and if the update will work. I had to force feed Windows 10 outdated drivers to get some of my USB ports back because they wouldn't let me just run the Windows 7 install programs provided by the manufacturers.

Best Windows ever.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
I had to buy a entire new GPU since Windows 10 kept uninstalling and replacing my AMD driver with an older broken version. I was on online support with MS support for an hour before they gave up and just dropped me from the call without even a good bye once I proved that Windows was installing the bad driver.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

SuperJail Warden wrote:

It's funny that back in the day 120 GB disk was entry level and we slowly moved to 1 TB hard disk. But because Win 10 is doing good knows what in the background, we now need SSDs and 250 GB SSDs are the entry level.
Windows 10 system requirements, from Microsoft:

Processor: 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster processor or SoC
RAM: 1 gigabyte (GB) for 32-bit or 2 GB for 64-bit
Hard disk space: 16 GB for 32-bit OS or 20 GB for 64-bit OS
Graphics card: DirectX 9 or later with WDDM 1.0 driver
Display: 800 x 600

Dauntless when you're running like 3.8+ GHz, 8-16 GB RAM, and a GTX+:

"Haha, Model T. Windows 10 is the best Windows ever made!"

SuperJail Warden wrote:

I had to buy a entire new GPU since Windows 10 kept uninstalling and replacing my AMD driver with an older broken version. I was on online support with MS support for an hour before they gave up and just dropped me from the call without even a good bye once I proved that Windows was installing the bad driver.
Fun.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard