unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

In other news,

Woman who designed Florida's COVID-19 dashboard has been removed from her position 5/18
https://cbs12.com/news/local/woman-who- … r-position

From reddit,

For anyone keeping track here is how Florida is suppressing coronavirus: Step 1. Anyone who dies from coronavirus and is not a florida resident does not get counted (Florida has many people that come from up north and stay 6 months of the year.) Step 2. Block medical examiners from releasing their counts and what people have died from leaving the health dept as the only source of information. Step 3. Delay returning tests and invalidate 25,000 results. Step 4. Fire the person in charge of the florida department of health coronavirus tracker because they won't manipulate the data.

This is a joke. If everything is fine and the virus is a hoax, why does Desantis need to manipulate the data? Why silence medical examiner?
Florida COVID-19 dashboard manager raises red flags about accuracy of state data after being fired 5/19
https://www.wfla.com/news/florida/flori … dashboard/

Read another article earlier saying that the governor was concerned.

More on Florida: the Kawasaki-like thing,

Florida has cases of child illness tied to COVID-19 5/19
https://cbs12.com/news/local/florida-ha … o-covid-19

Anyway … here we no-responsibility cowards are, alternately wringing our hands or being secretly satisfied that our families are at risk so we can apply hand sanitizer in public. Jay says he's tested positive for antibodies, y'all.

We should only pay attention to stuff said by doctors and researchers so long as it fits a positive narrative. The rest of the time? #*& those guys. Everyone else here? Just a bunch of venomous nincompoops.
uziq
+492|3422
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ … oronavirus

The prospect of a second wave of coronavirus infection across Europe is no longer a distant theory, according to the director of the EU agency responsible for advising governments – including the UK – on disease control.

“The question is when and how big, that is the question in my view,” said Dr Andrea Ammon, director of the European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control (ECDC).

It has been the unenviable task of scientists to tell it as it is through the coronavirus pandemic. While politicians have been caught offering empty reassurances, the epidemiologists, a job title new to many, have emerged as the straight shooters of the crisis, sometimes to their detriment.

And Ammon, a former adviser to the German government, speaks frankly in her first interview with a UK newspaper since the crisis began.

“Looking at the characteristics of the virus, looking at what now emerges from the different countries in terms of population immunity – which isn’t all that exciting, between 2% and 14%, that leaves still 85% to 90% of the population susceptible – the virus is around us, circulating much more than January and February … I don’t want to draw a doomsday picture but I think we have to be realistic. That it’s not the time now to completely relax.”
ski-ing season in march as well as major international football fixtures left covid trails. it seems there's a definite chain of transmission between these large gatherings and the virus upscaling dramatically. same thing happened in the UK after our cheltenham horse races. regional spike in new infections. without adequate contact testing and tracing, this is a hopelessly risky way to go about things. a few small clusters soon become 1,000+ new cases per day in that region.

funny and unsurprising that all the data on antibodies and short-term immunity contradicts jay's pet theory that 25% of new yorkers have had it. not that he had any response when i asked him if he was okay with 4x as many new yorkers dying ever year, at a conservative estimate.

But despite the privations of recent months, Ammon expresses little sympathy for the argument put forward by some, including the former supreme court judge Jonathan Sumption that merely shielding the elderly would have been sufficient.

“People who are perfectly healthy are also getting severe illness and they die. Knowing what we have seen in Europe with approximately 10% of the population [infected] I think there is for me not an option to let this go. If the the other 90% would have come as well, I think we don’t want to think of this.”

Last edited by uziq (2020-05-20 08:53:11)

SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
I did curbside pickup for some food. The amount of derpy young guys trying to walk into the place without mask was frustrating. A lot of people also taking off their mask ASAP once the food is in their hands. Silly people.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
uziq
+492|3422
i think there really was something in all the behavioural research that stated lockdown measures should be timed strategically. people are getting fed up with being maximally cautious and exercising best practice already. making believe that the worst of the virus is over just because you're tired of obeying lockdown measures is not very smart.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
I blame the media. They didn't do enough to show overwhelmed hospitals and staff. I saw more videos from hospitals in Italy than I did in the U.S. Maybe that was for the best though. I think showing overwhelmed hospitals in the ghetto might have had the opposite intended effect.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5328|London, England

SuperJail Warden wrote:

I blame the media. They didn't do enough to show overwhelmed hospitals and staff. I saw more videos from hospitals in Italy than I did in the U.S. Maybe that was for the best though. I think showing overwhelmed hospitals in the ghetto might have had the opposite intended effect.
They couldn't, because after the initial burst in NYC, the hospitals have been at around 30-40% of capacity.

Can you please just admit that you're not actually scared, and that your calls for continued quarantine and UBI have more to do with the fact you hate your job and life and would happily spend your days painting toys rather than working?
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
uziq
+492|3422
overflow hospitals have been at 30-40% capacity. you do know what an overflow hospital is, right?

it sounds like some of the hospitals in the bronx and similar areas were whacked fairly hard.

you do understand the very basic modelling that shows the number of ICU beds/ventilators quickly gets overwhelmed, right?
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

uziq wrote:

overflow hospitals have been at 30-40% capacity. you do know what an overflow hospital is, right?

it sounds like some of the hospitals in the bronx and similar areas were whacked fairly hard.

you do understand the very basic modelling that shows the number of ICU beds/ventilators quickly gets overwhelmed, right?
No, the main hospitals have been at 30-40%. The overflows never got above 5% and most of that capacity has been removed already.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
uziq
+492|3422
but also NYC hospitals doubled their ICU capacity? i'm quite confused by the picture given across over multiple news articles.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
They increased their internal capacity by reopening closed hospitals. They also built overflow hospitals at the local convention centers and a few state university campuses. Lastly, a hospital ship was brought in. The ship is now gone and the convention centers have been reconverted. The hospitals are now operating at 30-40% of capacity on their own and have been doing so for over a month. The initial burst was bad because they were unprepared. Now they're laying off staff.
-Frederick Bastiat
uziq
+492|3422
what does a hospital's preparations have to do with the burst of cases? the lockdown eased the incoming cases, not the hospital capacity available.

regardless of your own theories, the epidemiologists and virologists estimate that 5-15% of people have had covid. spain did the largest study of its kind for antibodies and found 5-10% of people in heavily hit regions such as madrid had signs of post-infection antibodies. even being generous and saying 20% have had it (they haven't), that still leaves the vast majority of the population susceptible.

so if 20% of the population have had it, and hospitals are at 40% capacity ... ???

you do understand that the lockdown measures have helped to relax pressure on the hospitals right? no lockdown measures, overwhelmed hospitals. what about this hasn't got through throughout the course of this thread?

Last edited by uziq (2020-05-20 10:28:52)

Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

uziq wrote:

what does a hospital's preparations have to do with the burst of cases? the lockdown eased the incoming cases, not the hospital capacity available.

regardless of your own theories, the epidemiologists and virologists estimate that 5-15% of people have had covid. spain did the largest study of its kind for antibodies and found 5-10% of people in heavily hit regions such as madrid had signs of post-infection antibodies. even being generous and saying 20% have had it (they haven't), that still leaves the vast majority of the population susceptible.

so if 20% of the population have had it, and hospitals are at 40% capacity ... ???

you do understand that the lockdown measures have helped to relax pressure on the hospitals right? no lockdown measures, overwhelmed hospitals. what about this hasn't got through throughout the course of this thread?
If they did any measures, they should've been partial shutdowns that kept the hospitals near capacity. As is, the continued shutdown is destroying the economy for very little gain health-wise because we have plenty of open beds. The point was to flatten the curve to keep cases at a point below capacity, a simmer, if you will. Instead they've clamped the lid down and society is being destroyed.
-Frederick Bastiat
uziq
+492|3422
sure. society can have a little bit of pandemic, as a treat.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689

Jay wrote:

SuperJail Warden wrote:

They couldn't, because after the initial burst in NYC, the hospitals have been at around 30-40% of capacity.

Can you please just admit that you're not actually scared, and that your calls for continued quarantine and UBI have more to do with the fact you hate your job and life and would happily spend your days painting toys rather than working?
They aren't toys and they don't need to be painted.

I do enjoy staying home though.
https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/facebook/000/915/770/e6c.jpg
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6707|Oxferd Ohire
They look better painted though mac.
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
uziq
+492|3422
https://t.co/phnyEgZice

go on jay. debunk it. tell us it was hopeless from the start.

The results show that as states reopen, outbreaks can easily get out of control unless officials closely monitor infections and immediately clamp down on new flare-ups. And they show that each day that officials waited to impose restrictions in early March came at a great cost.

After Italy and South Korea had started aggressively responding to the virus, President Trump resisted canceling campaign rallies or telling people to stay home or avoid crowds. The risk of the virus to most Americans was very low, he said.

“Nothing is shut down, life & the economy go on,” Mr. Trump tweeted on March 9, suggesting that the flu was worse than the coronavirus. “At this moment there are 546 confirmed cases of CoronaVirus, with 22 deaths. Think about that!”

In fact, tens of thousands of people had already been infected by that point, researchers later estimated. But a lack of widespread testing allowed those infections to go undetected, hiding the urgency of an outbreak that most Americans still identified as a foreign threat.

Last edited by uziq (2020-05-21 00:55:25)

uziq
+492|3422

uziq wrote:

here are some more graphs, from the british office for national statistics.

seeing as jay, our resident statistician and modelling guru, likes data. he should enjoy these. they've labelled the axes this time and everything, so we can avoid the confusion (understandable) caused by the 'flattening the peak' graphs.

remember, it's just as deadly as swine flu!!!
why didn't this get any response from our resident expert-debunker?

isn't it about time you paid attention to expertise other than your own?
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
Wilson Roosevelt Jerman, a former White House butler who worked under 11 US Presidents, has died after contracting coronavirus. He was 91 years old.

His granddaughter, Shanta Taylor Gay, told CNN on Thursday Jerman died on May 16.
"He was authentic. He was a quiet but stern man. Very giving, never fussed or complained. Always said he lived a blessed life," she said in an interview
"He was going to be dead in a year anyway.", "letting this guy live into his late 90's wasn't worth the recession".

Seriously though, what a life. To have been background furniture like Pochsy to some of history's greatest events and men.
Pochsy
Artifice of Eternity
+702|5513|Toronto

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Wilson Roosevelt Jerman, a former White House butler who worked under 11 US Presidents, has died after contracting coronavirus. He was 91 years old.

His granddaughter, Shanta Taylor Gay, told CNN on Thursday Jerman died on May 16.
"He was authentic. He was a quiet but stern man. Very giving, never fussed or complained. Always said he lived a blessed life," she said in an interview
"He was going to be dead in a year anyway.", "letting this guy live into his late 90's wasn't worth the recession".

Seriously though, what a life. To have been background furniture like Pochsy to some of history's greatest events and men.
wat? I have like 1/100th your post count. How could I not be background furniture pushing such low volume?
The shape of an eye in front of the ocean, digging for stones and throwing them against its window pane. Take it down dreamer, take it down deep. - Other Families
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
That's strange. Bf2s says there is a new post in this thread and all there is is my last post?
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
Don't be mean to pochsy. He's portuguese, his wife will knife you.
-Frederick Bastiat
Pochsy
Artifice of Eternity
+702|5513|Toronto
Her style is keeping a baseball bat sized aluminum pole next to her nightstand. Somehow I think that's worse.

If any of the mods have a second, can I request a ratio of Pochsy:Mac posts?
The shape of an eye in front of the ocean, digging for stones and throwing them against its window pane. Take it down dreamer, take it down deep. - Other Families
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

Off the top of my head mac's accounts maybe have 32k between them so something like 1:6.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6601|949

mac has too many accounts, but you're probably more or less correct. I have a few mins to kill, so give me a second to comb through his filth
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
Why is search only available to mods? Were the bots abusing it?

Last edited by Jay (2020-05-21 15:46:32)

-Frederick Bastiat

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard