uziq
+492|3444
that looks like an english garden.
Larssen
+99|1879
I know absolutely nothing about decking so thx for the explanation. That said isn't this a little high up or is that just perspective? Seems more like a giant balcony.

I've never seen it here, must be an american thing.
uziq
+492|3444
it seems like a headache to maintain. it can get very slippery after rain, let alone frost or freezing. or if it starts to gather moss.

should have dug a firepit.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5350|London, England

Larssen wrote:

I know absolutely nothing about decking so thx for the explanation. That said isn't this a little high up or is that just perspective? Seems more like a giant balcony.

I've never seen it here, must be an american thing.
It's less than a meter off the ground.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

uziq wrote:

it seems like a headache to maintain. it can get very slippery after rain, let alone frost or freezing. or if it starts to gather moss.

low maintenance, I'm using tropical hardwood
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6763|PNW

Jay wrote:

It won't make a difference.
Right.

uziq wrote:

If I had the yard space for a non-tacky deck I'd definitely build it high enough to make clearing out the underside less of a headache. I'd probably want it and its contents covered too since I live in a relatively rainy and mossy area that's hell on outdoor furniture and BBQers.

For me, a better, less conspicuous use of space would be a covered patio. No need for wood maintenance, just clean on occasion.
uziq
+492|3444

Jay wrote:

uziq wrote:

low maintenance, I'm using tropical hardwood
not so common over here. more porous wood.
Pochsy
Artifice of Eternity
+702|5535|Toronto
https://www.cbc.ca/radio/day6/detecting … -1.5559299

In case anyone was wondering what the academics in Canada spend their time doing.
The shape of an eye in front of the ocean, digging for stones and throwing them against its window pane. Take it down dreamer, take it down deep. - Other Families
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6097|eXtreme to the maX

Larssen wrote:

Why would you want a deck to be flexible
Generally you wouldn't, the joists could then twist, but sometimes you'd want the joists to have a bit of float instead of tearing the screws out of the deck.

There are systems for concealed clips which allow a bit of movement.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
Which I'm using
-Frederick Bastiat
uziq
+492|3444
i don't think i've ever seen a bunch of people want to see someone fuck up their decking so badly before, as if to prove a point.

make sure you post a picture of yourself basking in glory when it's done, jay. don't get a splinter u fuckin prik
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
Too late. Lots of splinters.
-Frederick Bastiat
uziq
+492|3444
it's why you should have opted for a steel girdered design with formica surfacing.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
But I can't weld
-Frederick Bastiat
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3711
You should have finished your basement and then built yourself a workshop in your large backyard. A finished basement is a perfect place to entertain guest during the winter and your sons can feel up their first girl (or boy, very likely boy) in the finished basement.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

Jay wrote:

Too late. Lots of splinters.
Did you get the timbers dipped for canadian timber weevils ?
They'll eat up that deck in no time.
Its a specific pesticide though, most timber places don't use it.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
More likely termites, but the framing is pressure treated and the decking is naturally resistant.
-Frederick Bastiat
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6763|PNW

Keep the progress photos coming. Good stuff.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

Jay wrote:

More likely termites, but the framing is pressure treated and the decking is naturally resistant.
OK, better not invite any canadians around though, they're all infested.
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6729|Oxferd Ohire
I just remembered I made a second account here once. No idea what I named it.
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
gurdeep
­
+812|4746|proll­y
ngannou just murdered that poor dude. i miss sports
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3711

gurdeep wrote:

ngannou just murdered that poor dude. i miss sports
Damn I forgot all about UFC tonight
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg