uziq
+492|3422
talking heads are pretty constantly in our house party rotations. impossible not to like.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6602|949

i wish i could go crate digging

I've been ordering so many records off discogs over the last year. Sitting at home being bored has led to so many impulse buys. Do i really need a copy of the Big Blunts Vol 2 compilation that I listened to while getting high after school? No. Did I buy it anyway? Of course.

I've been trying to find another one ("Ragga Essentials: In a Dancehall Style") but i can't find a vinyl version. I think it was only pressed on CD. I might just get it custom pressed...I want the vinyl!
uziq
+492|3422
the entire world now crate digs on discogs. i spend a healthy amount of there per week. have a near-constant stream of cardboard packages turning up with records here and there. i like buying up the old 70s and 80s stuff, they were mass-produced in such quantities on the major labels that you can acquire old stuff cheap and in near-mint condition. got lots of joni mitchell and leonard cohen recently, as well as some more 'cult' stuff like talk talk, stereolab, scott walker, etc. good stuff.

so much of it is being reissued nowadays, too, sometimes remastered and pressed on 180gm vinyl blah blah blah. basically you can get a lot of the 1980s 'new wave' scene at your local target or walmart or whatever. vinyl distribution is back on the upswing (there was a huge fire at the main acetate pressing plant in cali but not sure what's going on there).

your record doesn't exist in any format other than CD btw.
https://www.discogs.com/Various-Ragga-E … se/6255544

if you like that sort of thing, i highly highly recommend dj /rupture's mixes.

KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6602|949

ya i've checked discogs for it and could only find it on CD.

I like ordering off discogs bc (surprise suprise!) it's very easy to find off the beaten path stuff. I try to get originals as much as possible, but for certain albums it's just not possible. I managed to score an original pressing of Wu-Tang's 36 Chambers but it costed me a pretty penny to find a good one. I might have mentioned it here before, but i actually had to give myself an allowance for record buying every month because it was becoming an unhealthy obsession. It almost reached the point where I was buying them to have them, no other reason. I like to be able to play my records...except for that Wu pressing. That's going in a frame.

I was in a record store sometime recently looking at some stuff to buy and I saw Chidlish Gambino's (DongLover) "Awaken My Love" for like $50. It just doesn't make sense to buy a new record for that much, even with some multimedia insert.

I like going to the record store and looking for hidden gems. You find so much that you don't really think about when you're sat at your browser almost quizzing yourself to come up with albums/artists/songs to query on discogs. I picked up an Art of Noise record that i would have never remembered if i didn't see it thumbing through new (old) additions at my local, now-defunct record shop.
uziq
+492|3422
yeah, same principle as book stores. the aleatory, happenstance element is fun. you buy things you'd perhaps forgotten about, or take a risk.

charity/thrift stores are decent too but vary wildly by neighbourhood. last time i came out of one i had like a 12-vinyl box set of light music, lol. everything from viennese waltzes to german romanticism. great for sampling and messing with in a DAW.
Pochsy
Artifice of Eternity
+702|5513|Toronto

Here's more music from Toronto. Absolutely awesome live.
The shape of an eye in front of the ocean, digging for stones and throwing them against its window pane. Take it down dreamer, take it down deep. - Other Families
uziq
+492|3422
i've definitely heard that song somewhere before, on a tv show or something. her voice reminds me of Jenny Hval. me gusta.

the necks are one of the more interesting bands on the planet right now. i don't even know what genre it is at this point. how did australia produce such weirdness?
Pochsy
Artifice of Eternity
+702|5513|Toronto

This is such a good accompanying video. They edited the whole thing to put Molly Rankin in old footage from the 1967 Montreal Expo. Molly is from what is, essentially, music royalty in Canada. She's a member of the Rankin Family: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Rankin_Family
The shape of an eye in front of the ocean, digging for stones and throwing them against its window pane. Take it down dreamer, take it down deep. - Other Families
uziq
+492|3422
music royalty in canada? so you mean like the osmonds but in plaid?
Pochsy
Artifice of Eternity
+702|5513|Toronto
100% on the money. And they occasionally use bagpipes.
Pochsy
Artifice of Eternity
+702|5513|Toronto

It's an old Lorn kind of day.
uziq
+492|3422
an absolute classic album from NYC's scene. listening to this album gives me such flashbacks to some truly joyous dancefloor moments.

Last edited by uziq (2020-05-05 06:04:14)

Pochsy
Artifice of Eternity
+702|5513|Toronto
ohh man, I miss the nu disco days. I just kind of fell out of it for whatever reason. Best memory of it is when we were jamming to Breakbot in the dying hours of a house party, and a friend was so far gone he decided to dance on the kitchen table. No problem, the table can handle it, but he couldn't handle his balance and fell off backwards into a framed picture behind glass, smashing it and himself in a crumpled mess on the tile floor. Ended the party right there when the host told us to get the fuck out. Moving stuff.
uziq
+492|3422
the metro area stuff turns up mostly at house nights now, it brings such a cheeky smile and fun uplift to dance floors. it's so infectiously good!

Last edited by uziq (2020-05-05 16:19:52)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6076|eXtreme to the maX
Funny how all the articles in the 'mainstream media' are saying Kraftwerk inspired Tangerine Dream when they erm didn't.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
uziq
+492|3422
i mean, both were massively influential so it's no slight to the other.

kraftwerk were 'year zero' for a lot of electronic music in europe. tangerine dream were very early adopters of synths and the possibility of electronic music, too, in the same way that, say, pink flloyd were. they kind of come from two different lineages. kraftwerk spawned electro, a european take on disco, ultimately house and techno; tangerine dream gave way to prog rock, ambient, new age/fourth world, etc.

i think in germany these two things are much less separate than elsewhere in europe. you have to think of pretty german genres like motorik, krautrock, etc. the lines between rock show and 'dance' music, or psychedelia and buddhist-spiritualist-whatever, were frequently blurred. it was a heady time (as a generation they had a lot to forget and put behind them).

a german band i very much like in the tangerine dream mould is Popul Vuh.

then you also have other intermediary groups like can, neu ...

Last edited by uziq (2020-05-07 06:46:58)

lil_droo
+19|1465
on a purpp binge. idk how i missed this song on the album when it dropped. purpp overshadows pump like crazy lately. 1:05

ice on ice, look at my wrist, wrist mcflurry
F&N, extended the bitch, its holdin thirty
hoe wanna fuck, go back to eleven, bitch you is dirty
i feel like a noodle, i popped the perc, i popped the m30

this comment funny tho lol

Nobody:

Lil pump: “OICE ON OICE”

with the fuckin random british accent lmao

this is good too ofc

Last edited by lil_droo (2020-05-09 11:08:50)

gang shit
Pochsy
Artifice of Eternity
+702|5513|Toronto

Killer Mike is one of the best rappers of our time. Preach otherwise, heretics.
uziq
+492|3422
el-p is the real hero.

this intro was the ringtone to my phone back in university days. back when phones had custom ringtones.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690

Vaporwave edition

Famous opening song for the late 90's existential anime Serial Experiments Lain.

I have never watched the anime but I read the plot on Wikipedia and feel comfortable recommending it to people. I don't watch anime.

Last edited by SuperJail Warden (2020-05-11 05:22:50)

https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6707|Oxferd Ohire
Gave up on it cause you watched the worst Gundam?
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690

RTHKI wrote:

Gave up on it cause you watched the worst Gundam?
I was never really big into Anime. The only ones I will watch is Cowboy Bebop and Akira.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
uziq
+492|3422
uziq
+492|3422
Pochsy
Artifice of Eternity
+702|5513|Toronto

Revisiting this banger from the old times. What a fucking mess. But it do work.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard