uziq
+492|3422

Jay wrote:

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Jay wrote:

It doesn't matter anymore. Any chance to control the virus passed many months ago. We just shut down most of the economy in our states for the past six weeks and cases are still rising. What more could be done? Nothing, really. By the end of this, I expect the total will be somewhere around 150,000.

You should be happy though. Almost all of the dead will be boomers.
The U.S. is almost unique among nations at the speed in which we lost the political will to keep the lockdown going. We are also the vast leader in cases and soon deaths.

Do you subscribe any blame to the presidential administration or are they blameless? And why were other countries able to muster vast public resources to maintain their economies but the richest country in history couldn't?
I think there's enough blame to go around that I don't pin it on anyone in particular. The FDA fucked up, the states fucked up, Trump fucked up, the CDC fucked up, the WHO fucked up, China fucked up. Take your pick, man. I mostly blame China for hiding the extent and danger of the outbreak. We got caught off guard and it ran wild. It's easy to second guess and point the finger and say that we should've been more prepared, but you can't prepare for everything, and American government seems to be particularly terrible at planning more than five minutes ahead. Why didn't we have more masks? Why didn't we have more ventilators? Why didn't we have a billion test kits in storage waiting for this day?

None of it matters anymore. Gotta look forward and make the best of a shit situation.
you did not get caught off guard. you had lots of time to prepare. your administration swatted away the warnings for over a month and a half.

you did NOT get caught off guard.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5327|London, England

Larssen wrote:

Jay wrote:

SuperJail Warden wrote:

The U.S. is almost unique among nations at the speed in which we lost the political will to keep the lockdown going. We are also the vast leader in cases and soon deaths.

Do you subscribe any blame to the presidential administration or are they blameless? And why were other countries able to muster vast public resources to maintain their economies but the richest country in history couldn't?
I think there's enough blame to go around that I don't pin it on anyone in particular. The FDA fucked up, the states fucked up, Trump fucked up, the CDC fucked up, the WHO fucked up, China fucked up. Take your pick, man. I mostly blame China for hiding the extent and danger of the outbreak. We got caught off guard and it ran wild. It's easy to second guess and point the finger and say that we should've been more prepared, but you can't prepare for everything, and American government seems to be particularly terrible at planning more than five minutes ahead. Why didn't we have more masks? Why didn't we have more ventilators? Why didn't we have a billion test kits in storage waiting for this day?

None of it matters anymore. Gotta look forward and make the best of a shit situation.
Your intelligence community was on top of this and Trump dismissed them. He only trails Bolsonaro for the title 'most incompetent leader of the 21st century so far'.
Maybe. I can't really tell, honestly. The media here is roughly 90% left leaning and would treat any Republican in office with this sort of contempt and open questioning of intelligence etc. They did the same thing to Bush. I didn't vote for the guy, and the few times I've bothered to watch him, I get the "wtf did people pick him for?" vibe, but I also would get the same feeling from Biden or Clinton. It's been a particularly bad five years for politics in the US.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689

Jay wrote:

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Jay wrote:

It doesn't matter anymore. Any chance to control the virus passed many months ago. We just shut down most of the economy in our states for the past six weeks and cases are still rising. What more could be done? Nothing, really. By the end of this, I expect the total will be somewhere around 150,000.

You should be happy though. Almost all of the dead will be boomers.

Are you confident in Trump's continued leadership through the crisis? Do you dismiss the idea that almost anyone else who ran in 2016 would have handled this better? Do you think Trump may in fact be making the whole thing worse? Will you support him over the Democrat alternative in November be it Biden or someone else? And don't say you are going to vote Libertarian. Third party voters do still have mainline party preferences.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

SuperJail Warden wrote:

I have an Irish pub on my corner. There is this one boomer alcoholic there named Ken. He had lung cancer, and walked with a cane last time I saw him. He got medical marijuana and was always generous with it when we drank together. I would see him often after I got home from work.

That dude is probably dead or going to die and it makes me sad I won't get to see him again or get asked to drink after work.
The guy that caused an emergency shutdown at work, and completely fucked up my Valentine's Day, died. He was a roughly 350 pound hasidic electrical engineer.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Jay wrote:

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Are you confident in Trump's continued leadership through the crisis? Do you dismiss the idea that almost anyone else who ran in 2016 would have handled this better? Do you think Trump may in fact be making the whole thing worse? Will you support him over the Democrat alternative in November be it Biden or someone else? And don't say you are going to vote Libertarian. Third party voters do still have mainline party preferences.
I think he was distracted by the impeachment trial, and he was too enamored with his "high score" DJIA numbers to want to take invasive measures. But, what could he have done, really? He doesn't have the power to shut down states just like he doesn't have the power to single-handedly reopen them. This is America, not China. Our president can't just snap his fingers and make the entire populace obey. Doesn't and shouldn't work like that. So no, I don't think it matters if Clinton had been in charge. We would've maybe reacted a bit faster, but I don't think we would've shut down any sooner.

As far as 2020 goes, I think Biden's voting record and his personal enrichment from his time in the senate makes him a scumbag of the first order. If you put a gun to my head and told me to vote for one of Trump, Biden, or Clinton, I might just ask you to pull the trigger.

Last edited by Jay (2020-05-06 12:15:30)

-Frederick Bastiat
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689

Jay wrote:

SuperJail Warden wrote:

I have an Irish pub on my corner. There is this one boomer alcoholic there named Ken. He had lung cancer, and walked with a cane last time I saw him. He got medical marijuana and was always generous with it when we drank together. I would see him often after I got home from work.

That dude is probably dead or going to die and it makes me sad I won't get to see him again or get asked to drink after work.
The guy that caused an emergency shutdown at work, and completely fucked up my Valentine's Day, died. He was a roughly 350 pound hasidic electrical engineer.
It's unfortunate you couldn't sacrifice more Jews to get a decent Valentine's night out.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Jay wrote:

SuperJail Warden wrote:

It's unfortunate you couldn't sacrifice more Jews to get a decent Valentine's night out.
I'm not happy he died, that's just unfortunately my lasting memory of him.

Last edited by Jay (2020-05-06 12:18:10)

-Frederick Bastiat
Larssen
+99|1857

Jay wrote:

Maybe. I can't really tell, honestly. The media here is roughly 90% left leaning and would treat any Republican in office with this sort of contempt and open questioning of intelligence etc. They did the same thing to Bush. I didn't vote for the guy, and the few times I've bothered to watch him, I get the "wtf did people pick him for?" vibe, but I also would get the same feeling from Biden or Clinton. It's been a particularly bad five years for politics in the US.
Do you purposefully avoid evaluating people in political office? Whenever the competence of your leadership is called into question you retreat into the defence that 'politics is partisan' and 'liberals hate him because he's republican'!

Meanwhile, he's the LEAST eloquent man to ever be elected to the presidency in its near 250 years of existence, peddles conspiracies and false information on the daily, engaged in trade wars damaging your industries, has ensured the rest of the world including your own allies hate his guts and don't trust the US anymore at all, is known to dismiss his own experts - I could go on. This is the most unintelligent, paranoid, senile stubborn asshole to hold political office in your lifetime and perhaps the history of your country. He even installs family and friends in powerful positions fuck sakes, making a mockery of your democracy through nepotism - his daughter once acting as a stand in during a meeting of world leaders.

I was stuck in Brussels during some of the summits and I can tell you there is no man more loathed than him. His utter incompetence is beyond infuriating when you're trying to manage several international crises where lives are at stake.

I don't care for Biden, he's not the president. Bush was an incompetent dickwad as well, but Trump is a whole new level of ignorant piece of shit. The republicans have trademarked imbecility and seem to revel in electing ever more spiteful boneheads.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689

Jay wrote:

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Jay wrote:

I think he was distracted by the impeachment trial, and he was too enamored with his "high score" DJIA numbers to want to take invasive measures. But, what could he have done, really? He doesn't have the power to shut down states just like he doesn't have the power to single-handedly reopen them. This is America, not China. Our president can't just snap his fingers and make the entire populace obey. Doesn't and shouldn't work like that. So no, I don't think it matters if Clinton had been in charge. We would've maybe reacted a bit faster, but I don't think we would've shut down any sooner.

As far as 2020 goes, I think Biden's voting record and his personal enrichment from his time in the senate makes him a scumbag of the first order. If you put a gun to my head and told me to vote for one of Trump, Biden, or Clinton, I might just ask you to pull the trigger.
We are the richest country in human history. We can just print money at will almost and the rest of the world would keep buying our debt. We shouldn't have any shortages of PPE, test, and other equipment considering the scale of our industrial base and wealth. The U.S. during it's wars can rally these vast resources. Why couldn't Trump do it today? Democrats would never not sign onto more spending. And again I will point out that the economic issues we are concerned about aren't issues in many other first rate economies.

Was there any Democrat in '16 or '20 who you would be confident could have done a better job than Trump? You have almost 50 to choose from.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689

Larssen wrote:

Jay wrote:

Do you purposefully avoid evaluating people in political office? Whenever the competence of your leadership is called into question you retreat into the defence that 'politics is partisan' and 'liberals hate him because he's republican'!

Meanwhile, he's the LEAST eloquent man to ever be elected to the presidency in its near 250 years of existence, peddles conspiracies and false information on the daily, engaged in trade wars damaging your industries, has ensured the rest of the world including your own allies hate his guts and don't trust the US anymore at all, is known to dismiss his own experts - I could go on. This is the most unintelligent, paranoid, senile stubborn asshole to hold political office in your lifetime and perhaps the history of your country. He even installs family and friends in powerful positions fuck sakes, making a mockery of your democracy through nepotism - his daughter once acting as a stand in during a meeting of world leaders.

I was stuck in Brussels during some of the summits and I can tell you there is no man more loathed than him. His utter incompetence is beyond infuriating when you're trying to manage several international crises where lives are at stake.

I don't care for Biden, he's not the president. Bush was an incompetent dickwad as well, but Trump is a whole new level of ignorant piece of shit. The republicans have trademarked imbecility and seem to revel in electing ever more spiteful boneheads.
I would trust Bush to have handled this better than Trump. The Bush adminstration would have used it as a jumping off point for some other insane project but at least they would have done a better job minimizing the damage. Bush's actions in the immediate aftermath of 9/11 could have been a lot worse considering we now have Trump to expand our understanding of what is possible.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Larssen wrote:

Jay wrote:

You're forcing me to defend a guy I don't respect. The last interview I watched, he came across as not very bright. Agreed. But I was more turned off by the incessant "gotcha" type questions and complete disrespect from the media. It made me feel bad for Trump, not hate him.
-Frederick Bastiat
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
Prediction: the states opening up early are going to get ravaged. Their grand total of deaths and infected will be lower than NYC's but their rates will be worse. So while they will rub it in New York's face that they don't have tens of thousands dead the overall damage will be worse. And they will never admit to that fact.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Jay wrote:

SuperJail Warden wrote:

We are the richest country in human history. We can just print money at will almost and the rest of the world would keep buying our debt. We shouldn't have any shortages of PPE, test, and other equipment considering the scale of our industrial base and wealth. The U.S. during it's wars can rally these vast resources. Why couldn't Trump do it today? Democrats would never not sign onto more spending. And again I will point out that the economic issues we are concerned about aren't issues in many other first rate economies.

Was there any Democrat in '16 or '20 who you would be confident could have done a better job than Trump? You have almost 50 to choose from.
We only do it after the fact, always. It always requires an attack or a catastrophe before Americans can be asked to divert their attention to national matters. So sure, we should've been better prepared, but we could say the same about 9/11 and Pearl Harbor too.

I switched to the Republican Party in 2016 so I could vote for Rand Paul in the primary, but he didn't make it to New York.
-Frederick Bastiat
Larssen
+99|1857
I'm not forcing you to defend anything, that's your political allegiance overriding your sense of reason.

I don't feel bad for politicians unable to navigate 'gotcha' type questions. That's part of his job. In fact it is even more important to answer those questions properly as that is where he can appeal to swing voters and opposition.

Trump, instead, gets angry and throws personal insults at reporters. The biggest red flag you could ever find in a leadership candidate. Yet, in the US, that seems to embolden his supporters. Disgusting.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Larssen wrote:

I'm not forcing you to defend anything, that's your political allegiance overriding your sense of reason.

I don't feel bad for politicians unable to navigate 'gotcha' type questions. That's part of his job. In fact it is even more important to answer those questions properly as that is where he can appeal to swing voters and opposition.

Trump, instead, gets angry and throws personal insults at reporters. The biggest red flag you could ever find in a leadership candidate. Yet, in the US, that seems to embolden his supporters. Disgusting.
When it's relentless and from all sides? Nah. I think most people would hate to be in a situation like that day after day. It emboldens his supporters because they already dislike the media and view them as the enemy.
-Frederick Bastiat
Larssen
+99|1857
A skilled politician and leader does not get incessantly attacked by gotcha questions. You don't see Merkel losing her temper or stumbling over herself and I can assure you she's been subjected to worse than Trump in the last 15 years she has been Chancellor.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Larssen wrote:

A skilled politician and leader does not get incessantly attacked by gotcha questions. You don't see Merkel losing her temper or stumbling over herself and I can assure you she's been subjected to worse than Trump in the last 15 years she has been Chancellor.
Bush dealt with the same nonsense. Our media tries to play kingmaker and destroy every Republican.

Last edited by Jay (2020-05-06 12:49:33)

-Frederick Bastiat
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689

Jay wrote:

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Jay wrote:

We only do it after the fact, always. It always requires an attack or a catastrophe before Americans can be asked to divert their attention to national matters. So sure, we should've been better prepared, but we could say the same about 9/11 and Pearl Harbor too.

I switched to the Republican Party in 2016 so I could vote for Rand Paul in the primary, but he didn't make it to New York.
You didn't answer the question: why are we having shortages of anything at all considering the capacity of the American industrial base and our excess wealth? After 9/11 and Pearl Harbor, Bush and Roosevelt put all of the resources available to deal with those issues. Why is Trump uniquely unable to muster the resources that the Democrat party would be more than happy to sign off on?

There is no excuse whatsoever why the Federal government isn't going "all in" during this crisis. And even if the adminstration was so hopelessly corrupt it doesn't want to spend the energy working on this than it is even more stupid and unimaginative than they are assumed to be. If Trump wants political favor, spreading all of the money and resources of the government is how you do it.
Larssen
+99|1857
As if Obama and Clinton didn't face hard questions? The difference is they knew how to speak and think. Better yet, they didn't start pointless wars or pull all the outrageous shit Trump did in only 4 years.

When the best you got is infidelity and healthcare reform (inherently complicated) it's gonna be much harder to pin someone to a wall.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Jay wrote:

SuperJail Warden wrote:

You didn't answer the question: why are we having shortages of anything at all considering the capacity of the American industrial base and our excess wealth? After 9/11 and Pearl Harbor, Bush and Roosevelt put all of the resources available to deal with those issues. Why is Trump uniquely unable to muster the resources that the Democrat party would be more than happy to sign off on?

There is no excuse whatsoever why the Federal government isn't going "all in" during this crisis. And even if the adminstration was so hopelessly corrupt it doesn't want to spend the energy working on this than it is even more stupid and unimaginative than they are assumed to be. If Trump wants political favor, spreading all of the money and resources of the government is how you do it.
Because you can't snap your fingers and go from producing cars to ventilators in a day. You need time to retool factories.

They're not going all in because it's not anything the current system can't handle now that they've assessed it. New York is talking about removing the temporary hospital from the Javitz center now, even though we are reopening. They don't actually need the spare capacity now that the initial shock is over.
-Frederick Bastiat
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Larssen wrote:

As if Obama and Clinton didn't face hard questions? The difference is they knew how to speak and think. Better yet, they didn't start pointless wars or pull all the outrageous shit Trump did in only 4 years.

When the best you got is infidelity and healthcare reform (inherently complicated) it's gonna be much harder to pin someone to a wall.
Obama and Clinton got softball questions from 90% of the media. Big difference.
-Frederick Bastiat
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689

Jay wrote:

Larssen wrote:

Bush dealt with the same nonsense. Our media tries to play kingmaker and destroy every Republican.
Bush dealt with criticism much more smoothly than we gave him credit for. "Bush is dumb" was the most often criticism and not "Bush is evil and dumb" like Trump is seen by almost a majority of Americans.

I remember back in the halcyon days of the Bush years how people said "Dick Cheney is running everything". What a skillful move that was if Bush promoted the idea. Great king's in the past would throw their advisors under the bus and get away with it. Stalin was really good at that too.
Larssen
+99|1857
No it's simple , they didn't give the media all that ammo. Not through their actions, not through word fumbles or through losing their temper and attacking journalists.

If your political compass has shifted so much you believe 90% of the media landscape is of one mind it's you who is the problem here. Breitbart and the tea party have succesfully pulled US politics to the extreme, lying right. Congratulations.

Last edited by Larssen (2020-05-06 13:00:48)

SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689

Jay wrote:

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Jay wrote:

Because you can't snap your fingers and go from producing cars to ventilators in a day. You need time to retool factories.

They're not going all in because it's not anything the current system can't handle now that they've assessed it. New York is talking about removing the temporary hospital from the Javitz center now, even though we are reopening. They don't actually need the spare capacity now that the initial shock is over.
Ventilators aren't the only thing in need right now. Hospitals and EMT workers shouldn't need to take donations of PPE. The Trump administration meanwhile is stealing supplies from states.

Farmers are actually throwing away food that isn't being used while there are shortages of other food. Why can't the government buy the food from the farmers and redistribute it to food banks and quarantine people? You don't need to build new factories for that.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Larssen wrote:

No it's simple , they didn't give the media all that ammo. Not through their actions, not through word fumbles or through losing their temper and attacking journalists.

If your political compass has shifted so much you believe 90% of the media landscape is of one mind it's you who is the problem here. Breitbart and the tea party have succesfully pulled US politics to the extreme, lying right. Congratulations.
Obama was given a Nobel Prize before he even entered office. He was treated like the messiah by the media. The worst Obama had to deal with was the endless parade of nonsense from Fox News. It's easy to ignore a single source, and he did.
-Frederick Bastiat

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard