RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6707|Oxferd Ohire
I'm glad I have a home gym to get me through this. Bench, dumbbells up to 70lbs, pull up bar, and a bike.
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6260|Washington St.
My downstairs neighbors aren't as partial to the jumping jacks but I do have some weights that the dust was blown off of last week
I should probably be jacked as shit just as this all ends and summer is in full swing
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6075|eXtreme to the maX
I think I'll get the shooting training system I wanted, since all the ranges are probably shut for the next six months.

https://www.scatt.com/images/Basic/scatt_basic_single.png

https://www.centra-visier.de/uploads/pics/12_13_Scatt_Basic_3_fr.png

Also the final 3 tonnes of soil to load into the last skip in the next few days, ~50 tons in total.
Feeling cute and buff, then I'll need to get back to valueless exercise.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
I find it amusing that the guy who lives in the country among us with the most gun control is also the person who is most into gun culture. I wonder how Dilbert would feel at a Texas gun show.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/1a/Houston_Gun_Show_at_the_George_R._Brown_Convention_Center.jpg/1200px-Houston_Gun_Show_at_the_George_R._Brown_Convention_Center.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Nope, I bet Australia has the second least gun control of all the members here.
Not that I have anything to do with 'gun culture' as you would see it.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2020-03-30 17:19:13)

Pochsy
Artifice of Eternity
+702|5513|Toronto
I was pretty into weightlifting before COVID-19, and have been reduced to filling camping bladders with water to make weights. I'm limited in what I can do with them, and am now wondering if it's just better to deteriorate equally across all muscle groups so my proportions are easier to maintain when I get back in the gym. I don't really train for strength--just aesthetic. Took me about 6 years to get where I am, so hopefully it all comes back fairly easy.

You guys doing anything to stay fit these days?
The shape of an eye in front of the ocean, digging for stones and throwing them against its window pane. Take it down dreamer, take it down deep. - Other Families
uziq
+492|3422
i run a few times a week, or take a stroll for an hour or two on days when i need some rest/recovery, or just fancy a change of pace. woodlands and trails, mostly, with plenty of hills. i get bored solid running in parks or just doing laps. normally take an hour-long podcast and give the mind a lil' exercise at the same time.

have a small set of free-weights kicking around the house, but mostly use them just to keep limber. not big enough to put on serious muscle mass. it's more effort than it's worth for my body-type/frame. i like being in shape but don't want to be built. what would i do with all my drainpipe jeans and codpieces!

Last edited by uziq (2020-04-18 08:59:36)

DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6654|United States of America
With working from home, I've been walking a few miles after work to try to approximate the steps I would get during a normal day. I also have been doing my annual cycle of properly getting back into running. I always have done various bodyweight workouts to stay in shape, but have expanded a bit more when a personal trainer friend shared a quarantine exercise guide. All that, combined with seemingly eating less, seems to be showing results when I look in the mirror. This shit better not last through the summer if I'm in the best beach shape of my life.
Pochsy
Artifice of Eternity
+702|5513|Toronto
I really dislike running, but I might have to take it up to at least get some sort of workout in. What I really wish I'd done is have the road bike in for a tune-up before this whole thing. It was on the list last summer and I never got around to it. Regrets, I have a few. It's my now passed mother's old bike, a touring Raleigh from the late 80's with a solid as fuck steel frame, and the gears and brakes need work. Slightly too dangerous to ride without the repairs.

I've been saying I need to do more cardio work for years. I guess there's no better time, really.
The shape of an eye in front of the ocean, digging for stones and throwing them against its window pane. Take it down dreamer, take it down deep. - Other Families
Adams_BJ
Russian warship, go fuck yourself
+2,053|6592|Little Bentcock
I walk a lot and carry heavy stuff up steep hills every day, but I still don't feel like its enough at the moment with the gym closed. I've tried a few bodyweight routines at home but at the end of the day, there's only so much you can do with no equipment to do things like rows or pull-ups. Maybe I should take up running as my cardio is lacking, but running sucks and I don't believe anyone that enjoys it.
Pochsy
Artifice of Eternity
+702|5513|Toronto
I bit the bullet and went for a run on lunch today. Just around the neighbourhood. I made it a grand total of like 3 streets over and was gassed. I feel the dull ache in my knees. The back of my throat still burns. I'm going to self medicate with beer.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
Are caffeine pills safe? I am not interested in taking them. I just am curious if they are safe to mix with a downer like marijuana or liquor.
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6707|Oxferd Ohire
Sounds like you want to take them
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
It seems like a Macbeth thing to do.
Pochsy
Artifice of Eternity
+702|5513|Toronto

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Are caffeine pills safe? I am not interested in taking them. I just am curious if they are safe to mix with a downer like marijuana or liquor.
There's a few guys at my gym that smoke heavily and take caffeine pills before working out. A few times they've talked about heart fluttering, but other than that they seem to do fine. I couldn't squat 280 after cranking a bong and parachuting a caffeine pill. Works for them though.
gurdeep
­
+812|4725|proll­y

Adams_BJ wrote:

I walk a lot and carry heavy stuff up steep hills every day, but I still don't feel like its enough at the moment with the gym closed. I've tried a few bodyweight routines at home but at the end of the day, there's only so much you can do with no equipment to do things like rows or pull-ups. Maybe I should take up running as my cardio is lacking, but running sucks and I don't believe anyone that enjoys it.
Do a bunch of Bulgarian split squats and lunges. You won't be able to walk after
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
I hate running, get a mountain bike.

What is it with mountain bikes these days? Mostly they have 12 or 18 gears, back in my day they had 21+

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2020-05-16 16:56:10)

Pochsy
Artifice of Eternity
+702|5513|Toronto
Big news, mensches. My wife just gave me the nod to put a home gym in the basement. ye. boi.

Anyone plan out their own home gym? Right off the top I am super worried about not have the same depth of equipment my local has. I think a minimum I need: a small powercage for squats, bench press, and DLs; a set of adjustable dumbbells that does to at least 90lbs; an adjustable flat bench; an Olympic 45lbs standard bar; and, an Olympic plate easy bar.

Any and all advice welcome.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5328|London, England

Pochsy wrote:

Big news, mensches. My wife just gave me the nod to put a home gym in the basement. ye. boi.

Anyone plan out their own home gym? Right off the top I am super worried about not have the same depth of equipment my local has. I think a minimum I need: a small powercage for squats, bench press, and DLs; a set of adjustable dumbbells that does to at least 90lbs; an adjustable flat bench; an Olympic 45lbs standard bar; and, an Olympic plate easy bar.

You can do a full workout with just a set of adjustable dumbbells and a bench.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Larssen
+99|1857
I have the bowflex 1090i dumbbells with stand, an adjustable bench, foam roller, pull up bar, a mat and some resistance bands (mostly for warmups). You can do everything you need to with the 1090i's and an adjustable bench, legs too. 82kg / 180lb lunges are no joke and single leg squats with the bench & db's are good enough. Cost me about ~1100 euros.

I also find 41kg per db is plenty for benching. I usually benched about 100kg so I thought it would be 'easy' but my body had to adjust to switching to DB bench. It's not easy to rep out 90 lb per hand.

If you have the space go for an adjustable barbell rack and a loose bench, but expect to spend a good amount of money for quality. a proper olympic bar and good plates are not cheap.

Last edited by Larssen (2020-05-23 10:49:57)

Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Larssen wrote:

I have the bowflex 1090i dumbbells with stand, an adjustable bench, foam roller, pull up bar, a mat and some resistance bands (mostly for warmups). You can do everything you need to with the 1090i's and an adjustable bench, legs too. 82kg / 180lb lunges are no joke and single leg squats with the bench & db's are good enough. Cost me about ~1100 euros.

I also find 41kg per db is plenty for benching. I usually benched about 100kg so I thought it would be 'easy' but my body had to adjust to switching to DB bench. It's not easy to rep out 90 lb per hand.

If you have the space go for an adjustable barbell rack and a loose bench, but expect to spend a good amount of money for quality. a proper olympic bar and good plates are not cheap.
You get a better workout and better form with dumbbells over barbells as well.

I have the Bowflex bench and 1090s.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Larssen
+99|1857
I don't know about better but it's different and I appreciate that I'm switching things up now. I usually only used DBs for accessory work but it feels pretty good using them for everything. I do think my leg strength has waned a little because it's mostly my hamstrings & ass getting worked by the lunges and single leg squats. Don't feel my quads much but they still look the same so I hope I'll put up the same numbers when I get a barbell again.

The only thing that kinda sucks is heavy overhead presses with DBs. Easier if you just have a rack and a barbell.

I didn't get the bowflex bench but it looks alright.

Last edited by Larssen (2020-05-23 10:59:06)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
A friend of mine nearly killed himself dropping a barbell on his neck while bench-pressing by himself.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Dilbert_X wrote:

A friend of mine nearly killed himself dropping a barbell on his neck while bench-pressing by himself.
I nearly crushed my chest when I was in high school. Managed to roll it off and dump it on the floor. I've never used a bench press without a spotter since.
-Frederick Bastiat
gurdeep
­
+812|4725|proll­y

Jay wrote:

Pochsy wrote:

You can do a full workout with just a set of adjustable dumbbells and a bench.
Resistance bands are the shit. Been doing those since my gym closed down, and they give you a great workout

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard