coke
Aye up duck!
+440|6706|England. Stoke

SuperJail Warden wrote:

RTHKI wrote:

Got my trumpbucks today. What to do with em.
Buy a GPU with 8 GB of VRAM
I got my rx 580 with 8gb in the sales a couple of years ago when it was cheaper than the 6gb version. I'm only on a 1080 monitor so it does fine for me.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3717
I remember that. I was happy for you.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
coke
Aye up duck!
+440|6706|England. Stoke
As was I.
Pochsy
Artifice of Eternity
+702|5540|Toronto

RTHKI wrote:

Got my trumpbucks today. What to do with em.
Buy the 82' Samsung TV Costco put on sale for e x a c t l y (you guessed it!) $1,200!
The shape of an eye in front of the ocean, digging for stones and throwing them against its window pane. Take it down dreamer, take it down deep. - Other Families
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5355|London, England

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Jay wrote:

Larssen wrote:

Jesus christ man you keep throwing in the wind any statistic about urbanisation and reduce it to 'obsessions' and 'feelings'. Humanity isn't moving to cities just because, how often do I need to repeat that point?
Why do you NEED to move to a big popular city?

I've visited friends who are from rural areas. I get that it's boring when the major entertainment is shit like cruising up and down main street and drinking and fighting. I also understand the urge to not be a townie. But you know what? Every kid from Iowa that ends up living in Brooklyn for a few years ends up moving back out again. A lot of them end up going home. They came here because they were convinced that where they came from was boring and lowbrow. Only idiots stay behind, yes?

Honestly, it all comes down to snobbery. The young people who flee to the cities convinced themselves that they're smarter, more urbane, and better educated than the people they left behind. It shows in their politics, and it shows in their attitudes when they return home to visit their parents. Is it true? No, not really. They're still the same people, they've just traded the carhartt uniform for warby darby's.
hahaha of course. Those same young people that you push to get a good education, make themselves recession-proof, are *checks notes* too snobby to take that high-paying engineering or tech job in Gary, Indiana. You can tell because there are thousands of unfilled, high-paying professional jobs in those areas.

It's not employment that is resulting in professionals moving to cities, it's the rural snobbery!

I'm concerned with your inability to reconcile your own worldview. You push a narrative that all it takes is some gumption and work ethic to improve one's lot in life, and people should be motivated to do that, but then chide them for moving to places where they can find good jobs because they are snobs?

I think it's best to just stop interjecting your feelings in to these things. We live in a world of big data. We can suss out trends and indicators out of this data.

I'm not going to insult someone or hold it against them for wanting to move from Flyover, North Dakota to Chicago.
You can get good jobs anywhere if you have an education. It doesn't require moving to LA or NY or Chicago. If I moved down to South Carolina today I would have to take about a 25% pay cut, but the cost of living is approximately half. Hell, doctors are paid a premium if they're willing to take jobs that aren't on the coasts. One of my ex's used to be a recruiter for med school students and 99% of them would not take a job outside of a big city even with the bonuses and higher pay that was offered.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
uziq
+492|3449
my friend
my brother's sister's cousin's dog
i grew up in

give it a break. people leaving med school or law school often have to practice where they can. people getting PhD's are lucky to get a contract and a little job security teaching in a college in idaho.

you are putting statistics and macro-level trends against hearsay and gossip.

how would someone working in any number of industries, such as media, corporate law, advertising, publicity, fashion, etc. seamlessly relocate to south carolina?

you cannot be this utterly clueless.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6103|eXtreme to the maX
Generally speaking entry-level jobs for graduates are in large population centres.
Three-man companies in two-horse towns don't generally speaking have graduate entry programs in the same way corporations employing thousands of people do. If they did they might take on 1/5 of a graduate every six years or so, its not something people can hang around for.
People with a decade of experience can of course move to a small town where they can either set up themselves or go straight into a professional job as an extra hire or one-for-one replacement and be productive from day one with no training or supervision.

Not sure why this needs to be explained to you but most things do.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Pochsy
Artifice of Eternity
+702|5540|Toronto
You guys think that in maybe 10 or 15 years when telecommuting is (I expect) more widespread that we'll see a revitalization of smaller rural communities? I know I'd move back out to my hometown if my job allowed for it. Only limit would be the quality of the internet connection, really.
The shape of an eye in front of the ocean, digging for stones and throwing them against its window pane. Take it down dreamer, take it down deep. - Other Families
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
With remote working your job could be more easily relocated to India, its not something to look forward to.
Pochsy
Artifice of Eternity
+702|5540|Toronto

Dilbert_X wrote:

With remote working your job could be more easily relocated to India, its not something to look forward to.
Fuck. You've made me sad. Thanks.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

uziq wrote:

my friend
i grew up in

give it a break. people leaving med school or law school often have to practice where they can. people getting PhD's are lucky to get a contract and a little job security teaching in a college in idaho.

how would someone working in any number of industries, such as media, corporate law, advertising, publicity, fashion, etc. seamlessly relocate to south carolina?

I'm not being clueless. I'm well aware that many companies choose their office location for the prestige factor. Who really needs an office in Manhattan when you can get cheaper rent in an office park in the suburbs? I get it. I also fully understand that having that prestige zip code also generally gets a decent return on investment when you can hire higher quality people that are attracted to that prestige factor. But why bother? If you can get the same relative pay elsewhere, why bother piling into overpriced and congested established cities? The key is to get ahead of the growth curve somewhere else. Find the next Austin or Portland or Charlotte.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
People like to do business over a coffee or lunch, not over a distorted skype call.

Also people's wives don't like to be stuck in a town with one drab supermarket, isn't that why you're still in NYC?
Pochsy
Artifice of Eternity
+702|5540|Toronto

Jay wrote:

uziq wrote:

my friend
i grew up in

I'm not being clueless. I'm well aware that many companies choose their office location for the prestige factor. Who really needs an office in Manhattan when you can get cheaper rent in an office park in the suburbs? I get it. I also fully understand that having that prestige zip code also generally gets a decent return on investment when you can hire higher quality people that are attracted to that prestige factor. But why bother? If you can get the same relative pay elsewhere, why bother piling into overpriced and congested established cities? The key is to get ahead of the growth curve somewhere else. Find the next Austin or Portland or Charlotte.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economies … lomeration

This is the leading theory why. Not status.
uziq
+492|3449

Dilbert_X wrote:

i work remotely full-time, have done for over a year basically, and could even go one degree further and just become a contract-free freelancer. i can live and work wherever i want now, so long as i can visit the office once a month or two and call into video conferences. it's quickly becoming the norm for my industry.

a lot of the publishing industry's work is already in india. now they are learning to adapt and work from home. perhaps their jobs will be sub-sub-outsourced to ghana?

with that said, there is no way anyone in my industry is allowed to work remotely until they have 5+ years experience. that's where the young millennials going through the urban centres meat-grinder comes in. it's a rite of passage. you cannot get onto a graduate career ladder whilst not living in the same city as the HQ. it's just a nonsense. people go to the major urban centres because it's where the opportunity is. the lucky ones get to cash out or transition to a better standard of living, later on.

Last edited by uziq (2020-04-15 16:51:33)

Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Dilbert_X wrote:

People like to do business over a coffee or lunch, not over a distorted skype call.

Also people's wives don't like to be stuck in a town with one drab supermarket, isn't that why you're still in NYC?
My family has been here for 100 years. My wife's has been here even longer. Our parents and brothers and friends are still here, so we're still here. If my parents move after they retire it will be easier to leave.
-Frederick Bastiat
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

uziq wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

i work remotely full-time, have done for over a year basically, and could even go one degree further and just become a contract-free freelancer. i can live and work wherever i want now, so long as i can visit the office once a month or two and call into video conferences. it's quickly becoming the norm for my industry.
For all we know you are an Indian, hand-cranking a dynamo to power your iPhone 2 as you desperately try to be relevant.

Its the story which makes the most sense at this point.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

Jay wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

My family has been here for 100 years. My wife's has been here even longer. Our parents and brothers and friends are still here, so we're still here. If my parents move after they retire it will be easier to leave.
Well so what? You're free to move whenever you like.
uziq
+492|3449
i've actually shared more about my life on this forum than most people, and gladly, too, including pictures the whole way. you should be grateful to me. i have given you a sense of social contact with the outside world that is evidently very lacking. 15 years on a forum and you still won't even show your ginger bonce. talk about psychological case studies.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Pochsy wrote:

Jay wrote:

uziq wrote:

my friend
i grew up in

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economies … lomeration

This is the leading theory why. Not status.
That's part of it. Status plays a key role though. It's much more prestigious and exciting to say you commute into Manhattan every day for work than it would be to commute to the local office park in the suburbs, even though your quality of life from a reduced commute would more than make up for it.

To your point, one major upside for workers in a big city is that there is more competition between firms, and it's much easier to jump your salary up if you're willing to move around.
-Frederick Bastiat
uziq
+492|3449
only very few industries have 'prestige' postcodes just because, like law, publishing, journalism, etc. 'the cultural centres'. and their arguments for remaining in place would be the exact same fucking arguments you just used for your own non-migratory ruminant living patterns, idiot. it's 'tradition'. they've always been there. that's their roots, etc.

of course the benefits of being able to quickly move from one company to another, parlay better job contracts, network with colleagues and peers etc is a HUGE benefit, if not the main one. that's the whole point! people aren't paying $5,000 a month to live in the SF bay area when they could easily remote in to do their code work.

Last edited by uziq (2020-04-15 17:10:15)

Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Dilbert_X wrote:

Jay wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

Well so what? You're free to move whenever you like.
Absolutely. Never said otherwise. No one is putting a gun to my head and forcing me to stay here. Inertia, and fear of the unknown and starting over are real things.
-Frederick Bastiat
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6629|949

i just bought 3 crowlers and some empanadas from the brewery i sometimes play bar trivia at. Investing in my future, support your local businesses, etc etc
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
Investing in your gut
-Frederick Bastiat
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3717

Pochsy wrote:

You guys think that in maybe 10 or 15 years when telecommuting is (I expect) more widespread that we'll see a revitalization of smaller rural communities? I know I'd move back out to my hometown if my job allowed for it. Only limit would be the quality of the internet connection, really.
I would live in a rural place and teach online if I had good internet, Amazon prime, a wife, and some land to grow to marijuana.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
uziq
+492|3449
pre-corona i was really thinking about moving to lisbon or sicily or somewhere for the summer, with a good friend possibly joining in.

remote working and relaxed office protocol is one of the few perks of 21st century work.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard