SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689

uziq wrote:

yep, or even external SSD storage works fine for launching games. i just wanted to keep my internal storage options minimal as i have a very small case. there are only 2 places to mount drives. i'm getting a synology NAS for all of my media and data storage, anyway.
I am pretty happy that the case I bought has mounts for 4 SSDs and 2 HDs. My last PC had 4 SSDs and a HD. The new build will only have 2 SSDs and a HD.

I plan to install Win 10 on one SSD and use that to hack in BF5 for the rest of the month or maybe longer and then take it out and put in my actual Win 10 and other drives.

I have hacks for the new Call of Duty too.

Last edited by SuperJail Warden (2020-04-12 04:59:53)

https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
uziq
+492|3422
i had a midi tower in my last build and, now i look at it next to the mini-ITX, i'm kind of astonished i just stayed with 'regular' desktops for so long. the thing is huge and it's 60% empty space/dust collection. couple that with something like double the number of case fans, as well, and they're just so much noisier.

i can mount an SSD tray inside my case technically, but it will affect airflow, plus the extra heat output from more drives, etc. not a route i want to go down.

anyway the X570 mobo you've bought is for sure the enthusiast grade and the best option. my only caveat there is that the ryzen CPUs don't overclock like intel ones do. all the extra VRM capacity and promised stability won't really be used. i guess it's just up to the individual consumer and their needs. i don't think i've ever bought a premium CPU in the higher-end 'overclockable' spectrum over just the more standard mid-range options. i don't render and i'm not an overclocking enthusiast. games are still disappointingly weak at using multi-core. the CPU in all of my builds since, like, early 2000s have just been parts that serve out their life without becoming impediments.

the other big thing is ports and input/output. i went with mini-ITX because i need relatively little. the biggest weakness in pretty much all windows motherboards for me, at this point, is lack of thunderbolt support. you have to spend so much to get that technology, and it's buggy as hell. i don't really need 12x USB 3 ports, or 2x PCI-e 16x, or 8 SATA-2 or whatever that comes on beefy full-size mobos. a lot of monitors come with their own USB hubs thesedays.

Last edited by uziq (2020-04-12 05:06:12)

SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
I have never overclocked and don't plan to ever do see either. I like things to just work or work out the box. I am also afraid of component damage. I feel that if you need to overclock your stuff, you should just buy new stuff that is better out of the box.
uziq
+492|3422
overclocking definitely confers benefits and does not damage your components unless you are really inept and pushing it. you are not going to fry your CPU by OC'ing it +5-10% and leaving the voltages well alone. these things are designed to safely operate within those margins, anyway. i would highly recommend you overclock your 3600 to 3600X levels, especially considering you've just bought a motherboard that encourages it. it's basically the exact same hardware only with perhaps slightly better binning. the 3600X is like 200Mhz faster stock clock. that is a really trivial overclock and makes all the more sense if you have 3600Mhz-4000Mhz RAM.

i said it earlier but spending the same on a mobo as a CPU is dubious. high-end mobos are packed with features and components really to support CPUs in the $500+ bracket. putting a mid-range consumer 3600 in an overclocker enthusiast board involves quite a lot of waste, future proofing plans aside. only you can know if you're really interested in picking up a 4xxxx.

Last edited by uziq (2020-04-12 05:20:23)

SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
I think the reason why my computer was blue screening when I played a few very select new games was due to overheating. The FX-8350 has a TDP of 125w and famously runs hot. The motherboard was rated as compatible but it definitely was a "not ideal" situation. I don't want to run into something like that ever again. I don't mind paying extra for peace of mind from bad experiences. This is a general personality trait of mine.

https://media.makeameme.org/created/safety-first-5c5b2c.jpg
uziq
+492|3422
bluescreens can be caused by anything, especially on ageing hardware. pointless to speculate until you look at your event logs and get some error codes. could have been power-supply related (common death knells for any system); could have been an innocuous windows driver update that didn't play nice.

overheating shutdowns will be due to BIOS-related failsafe limits rather than the hardware literally baking itself. there will be mobo speaker alarms or an automatic shutdown a long time before anything gets to harmful levels.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

Speculation can give you a starting point. Mine string of blue screens in December happened after a Windows update. After reinstalling the whole thing, I've still got some USB ports I can't use because some of the pages I got them from no longer exist, and/or the ones that were there were installed while I was still using Windows 7 before updating, and are disallowed from being installed on 10. ASUS motherboard, no update utilities for that model on Windows 10. Joy.

Took the downtime as an opportunity to dust, reseat, reapply thermal paste, etc.

As soon as feasible, I'm going to replace the whole setup (with the exception of the video card, most drives, and case).

edit:

Feeling a bit ranty about ASUS lately. Higher end $$ monitor lasted weeks before sprouting dead pixels all over, with nearly an entire row of dead pixels on the bottom. RMA allowed but still. I built my PC in 2011. Windows 10 came out in 2015. "No utilities/support for Windows 10, you're on your own."

While this sort of thing is not isolated to that company, some petty part of me doesn't want to hand them any more money.
Pochsy
Artifice of Eternity
+702|5513|Toronto
Feel like you got a dud, newbie. I've been using an ASUS VG248QE for about 6 years now and have nothing but good things to say. Getting old now, but still no issues. My friends also use the same monitor just because it's decent for FPS, and they've also not had any issues. Thing has been taken to at least a dozen all night sweaty LANs, often in the back seat of a cab, and it's still going strong.

Driver support is another thing. That shit's annoying.
The shape of an eye in front of the ocean, digging for stones and throwing them against its window pane. Take it down dreamer, take it down deep. - Other Families
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

I'm pretty sure I did. But it's not the first ASUS LCD I've had fail spectacularly. My previous one ran fine for years, but then started increasing in fuzz and eventually became unusable. No problems with any other brand, though I know it happens.
Pochsy
Artifice of Eternity
+702|5513|Toronto
If you're looking for other high-end monitor brands, a couple buddies have BenQ monitors and they're really really nice. Definitely going to get one next. They also tell me their customer support is A+, so if you have an issue at least there's that fall-back. Buddy broke a port while high about 3 months back and BenQ dealt with it. That's quality.
The shape of an eye in front of the ocean, digging for stones and throwing them against its window pane. Take it down dreamer, take it down deep. - Other Families
uziq
+492|3422
i bought a 34" ultra-wide benq a few months ago and posted about it here. i like it a lot. the new aspect ratio and resolution has totally fucked with my fps gaming, though. it's like you have to learn to play all over again. but it's amazing for MMOs and more cinematic, laid-back genres.
Pochsy
Artifice of Eternity
+702|5513|Toronto
I actually had my eye on a similar model. I'm thinking I'm going to wait for my next non-FPS binge game to come out before I make the buy. Currently my heart is set on Age of Empires 4, but I could be waiting until the heat death of the universe at the current (known) progress rate. Want to see the game specs to try and optimize hardware a little. If AOE4 is of the quality of 2, or hell, even 3, I'm more than happy to upgrade the rig around it.

To make use of a higher res BenQ I'm probably in for at least a new GPU and CPU given how demanding RTS' are. I fully expect I'm in for a $1k bill to make it happen.
uziq
+492|3422
yep, i bought the monitor for working use mostly so didn't anticipate putting together a gaming machine. but those resolutions will require a mid-high range graphics card. very very high quality screen, though. i'm mostly grateful to it for its auto-brightness feature that adjusts the screen's brightness and tone throughout the day. amazing when reading documents for long periods.
Pochsy
Artifice of Eternity
+702|5513|Toronto
Those little quality of life things really set apart the good brands from the great. Sure it comes at greater cost, but those little, almost impossible to quantify, things are where the money goes. The bezel that feels just a little more solid. The button that has a certain click and response to it. The cable that gives just a little more confidence it isn't going to fail after the 100th time you unplug it.

Tbh, now that I'm home all day I'd do with an auto-brightness feature on this old ASUS. Sat next to a window, so 3pm is a horror show around these parts.
Dauntless
Admin
+2,249|6712|London

Pochsy wrote:

Feel like you got a dud, newbie. I've been using an ASUS VG248QE for about 6 years now and have nothing but good things to say. Getting old now, but still no issues. My friends also use the same monitor just because it's decent for FPS, and they've also not had any issues. Thing has been taken to at least a dozen all night sweaty LANs, often in the back seat of a cab, and it's still going strong.

Driver support is another thing. That shit's annoying.
Ditto that. I've been very happy with my ASUS hardware.

I got an ASUS MG279Q about 4 years ago and have been massively impressed with it. It's a shame it's not 4K (it's 1440p) but other than that it's pretty much perfect.
https://imgur.com/kXTNQ8D.png
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

Pochsy wrote:

If you're looking for other high-end monitor brands, a couple buddies have BenQ monitors and they're really really nice. Definitely going to get one next. They also tell me their customer support is A+, so if you have an issue at least there's that fall-back. Buddy broke a port while high about 3 months back and BenQ dealt with it. That's quality.
BenQ and Dell would be my first considerations at this point. But I'm satisfied with the large LG I currently have running (don't judge me, I needed a replacement quickly ).
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
Thinking it over, I am glad about the changes Uzique talked me into. I am at least happy to have upgraded the GPU since I absolutely hate putting mental energy into that field of consumer electronics. The 17% increase in power is 17% patience saved.

@Uzique, did you try MSI afterburner yet?
uziq
+492|3422
MSI afterburner is well known. i don't use it because my GPU manufacturer have their own custom BIOS and their own control software. my 5700XT is the highest-tuned after-market version from Aorus, rather than MSI.

i find having several overclocking/monitoring/tuning programs installed at once can cause major issues with profiles overlapping, erratic fan cooling, unstable clock speeds, etc. so i just do away with it.

every single AMD card has a stock AMD driver suite that includes in-game monitoring and stats. or you can use a suite like CPU-Z/HW Monitor if you want to track your various stats and sensors.

Last edited by uziq (2020-04-12 18:16:38)

Pochsy
Artifice of Eternity
+702|5513|Toronto
I didn't buy them today, but a couple months ago I bought some Bang and Olufsen E8 2.0 wireless in-ears for the commute. Today I was listening to a couple tracks at medium-high volume with lots of low and mid frequencies, and there's a slight crackling in the right earbud. Very slight, but still not good things. Called up B&O in Toronto and they green-lit the repair in 10 seconds flat and emailed me a shipping label.

Fuck it's nice dealing with quality products.

Last edited by Pochsy (2020-04-13 09:30:36)

uziq
+492|3422
B&O are in the same category as apple really. you pay a brand premium for well-designed, quality products and they will cover you if it fucks up.

not the 'raw performance' choice but stuff that is generally a joy to use.
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6707|Oxferd Ohire
I'd really like to upgrade my 970 but nothing seems worth it yet for a decent price. Most of its hard use comes from VR simracing. Rfactor2 is the ugliest yet most taxing game I've played.

Last edited by RTHKI (2020-04-13 09:53:26)

https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
Pochsy
Artifice of Eternity
+702|5513|Toronto
totally. even just the small piece of mind that I can call them for support and get fair help is worth the marginal price increase. Had I gone for the Sennheisers or Klipsch I doubt I'd have had the same experience, and the price point really isn't all that much higher.
uziq
+492|3422
sennheiser are really good at warranty and repair. it helps that almost everything they make is modular and can be repaired. there's an extensive sennheiser site that will sell you just about every nut and bolt and strap and pad necessary. i do rate them. klipsch are good also, to be fair, though i have less experience of them.

i get my in-ears from a scottish company called RHA. similarly good customer support. when you're spending $300 on quite fragile tech, you can expect that sort of thing.

Last edited by uziq (2020-04-13 09:49:37)

SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689

RTHKI wrote:

I'd really like to upgrade my 970 but nothing seems worth it yet for a decent price. Most of its hard use comes from VR simracing. Rfactor2 is the ugiest yet most taxing game I've played.
You should spend a minimum of $450 for 8 GBs of VRAM.
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6707|Oxferd Ohire
I hate that, that's >1/2 of what I spent on my new system bar gpu cause I carried that over.
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard