Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5327|London, England

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Jay wrote:

The best of my lifetime has probably been Clinton.
And yet you hated his wife so much you voted to keep him out of the White House?
Absolutely. His wife is heinous.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Dilbert_X wrote:

But he's a self-confessed liberal who took people's guns away.

And liberals never balance budgets, must be fake news.
The Republican Congress balanced the budget and forced welfare reform. He signed it. Then they frittered away the surplus as soon as Bush was elected.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689

Jay wrote:

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Jay wrote:

The best of my lifetime has probably been Clinton.
And yet you hated his wife so much you voted to keep him out of the White House?
Why?
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6075|eXtreme to the maX
How would you know?
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

Jay wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

But he's a self-confessed liberal who took people's guns away.

And liberals never balance budgets, must be fake news.
The Republican Congress balanced the budget and forced welfare reform. He signed it. Then they frittered away the surplus as soon as Bush was elected.
Ah so it was the Republicans who balanced the budget, which they didn't do with 12 years of Republican Presidents, they waited for a Democrat to be in.

OK

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2020-04-09 19:08:08)

Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Jay wrote:

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Why?
She is probably one of the most disingenuous and unlikable people that has ever run for high office. Every single thing she spoke or released sounded like it had passed through a focus group before it was published. She's arrogant, entitled and hates people. She has literally every personality trait that would lead a politician to flop. The only reason she got as far as she did was because the media carried her. Biden, for all his idiocy, at least knows how to play the game and get elected.
-Frederick Bastiat
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

Jay wrote:

She is probably one of the most disingenuous and unlikable people that has ever run for high office. Every single thing she spoke or released sounded like it had passed through a focus group before it was published. She's arrogant, entitled and hates people. She has literally every personality trait that would lead a politician to flop.
Where do you parrot this stuff from?
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689

Jay wrote:

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Jay wrote:

Why?
She is probably one of the most disingenuous and unlikable people that has ever run for high office. Every single thing she spoke or released sounded like it had passed through a focus group before it was published. She's arrogant, entitled and hates people. She has literally every personality trait that would lead a politician to flop. The only reason she got as far as she did was because the media carried her. Biden, for all his idiocy, at least knows how to play the game and get elected.
So no polices? You liked the work her husband did but you didn't like her personally enough to vote for them to make a comeback?

This is good for this thread that we finally got to Clinton. The "woman hating thread" needs a woman to hate.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Its funny how many women hate other women, they'd rather vote for a misogynist and pervert like Trump than a fellow woman.
uziq
+492|3422
it can be explained by the concept of 'mauvaise foi'. it's the same reason why jay preens and postures with the attitudes of a Texas oil magnate or koch manlet, despite being chum in the eyes of the real 'winners' in america.
Larssen
+99|1857

Jay wrote:

No, what I see is a political party that has set up a system whereby a section of the population is completely dependent on, and beholden to it. They've created a system where everything is paid for, cradle-to-grave, as long as you remain in poverty. When living in cities, they are segregated into massive tower blocks of apartments where the poverty is concentrated and the surrounding neighborhood becomes a crime-ridden economic wasteland. When living in rural areas, they tend to live in dilapidated homes or in trailer parks. When seeking a job, they generally must leave their neighborhood and commute elsewhere for work. If they have kids, they have to pay for day care. With these additional costs, most find it difficult to justify giving up their benefits and going to work instead. This is called the welfare trap. They're forced to raise their kids as single mothers because if they are married they will lose their benefits, and they spend their days doing drugs, or getting drunk, or having sex, or watching tv, or all of the above at the same time, because they are bored and have no dignity because they lack a job. Born into poverty they will more than likely die in poverty because the incentives are keeping them trapped in place.

This is why I say jobs are more important than government benefits for society as a whole. Do I want to eradicate the safety net? No, I want to prune it back so that only the truly needy use the benefits for a small bit of time before they get back on their feet. With a job, you may start off making minimum wage, but everyone eventually advances. Humans trapped in the benefit cycle have no hope, and a life without hope is a life not worth living.
Well yes poor people live in poor areas which generally aren't exactly economic hubs and it may also be true that a larger amount of poor people aren't exactly industrious. There is however such a thing as generational poverty as well, just as generational wealth exists.

I don't know what pruning back the safety net would mean in this case. Adjusting existing unemployment benefits and incentivising people more to find work is fair enough, that's perfectly possible and reasonable. What I have mostly been writing about so far are other things: access to healthcare and education and living in a safe environment. These are/should be basic rights and significantly contribute to the 'succes' of a society - in terms of people's happiness, productivity and general well-being. The argument for instance of 'people who do things right have health insurance' also implies that 'if you didn't do things right' healthcare bills to treat injury or serious illness is your own fault and yours to take care of.

At the very least in most countries here that equation doesn't exist. Charging people exorbitant amounts of money just to be treated for incapacitating illness or injury is an absolutely wild concept. It not only ensures that 'failures' keep failing, but their direct family as well who are forced to pick up the tab. Alongside that it is also clear that you live in a country where good education is most of all accessible for the economic elite. Primary and secondary schools in poor areas are terrible and the avenues kids who grow up there can take to higher education are mostly limited to chancing on a scholarship or the route which you took, joining the military. Others are laden with debilitating debts. If they can even get a loan. Or are forced to put in 10x the effort of some other members of your society just so they can go to school and keep learning.

This is not an argument to keep people 'caught in the welfare trap' but for the improvement of structural problems that seriously affect these poor areas and poor people. Subsidising healthcare and education to be accessible to anyone goes a fantastically long way in helping poor people and poor areas to become less so. Furthermore, however much you may dislike the man or woman working barely minimum wage at some factory plant, farm or wherever else, who most likely lives in a poor area, they too are essential motors for the economic succes of the managers and ceo's running these places and should see a return on their contribution to society. At the bare minimum in terms of health, well-being and possibility to improve circumstance - both on an individual AND community level. Instead, in your country more than any other the wealth disparity is shocking. All 'economic succes' flows into the hands of a tiny group of people.

Last edited by Larssen (2020-04-10 13:33:53)

SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689

Larssen wrote:

I don't know what pruning back the safety net would mean in this case.
Neither does Jay. The vast sum of people who talk about creating a robust safety net or one that rewards innovation have no idea how to design one or often even how their own existing safety net works.

It's a meme or slogan. The only people on the right who spent time looking into how the safety net works were doing research on how to destroy it instead of making it better.

The American right has no economic ideas besides cutting taxes and benefits. They convince voters to go along with them by telling them they are fags or "vote like women" (???) if they vote Democrat.
uziq
+492|3422
it's really pointless trying to explain these things to jay. he has the intellectual apparatus of a hog — he can only think about something at the point when it’s right before his snout.

therefore the idea that someone could fall ill or suffer such a vicissitude as a car accident that bankrupts them is always ‘their fault’. failure to prepare! everyone who does things right always has the necessary health insurance. (wait til jay, who is one cancer diagnosis away from having to sell his hectare of NJ suburbia, changes tack if and when the unthinkable happens).

trying to explain to jay that structural inequality exists and keeps people at a massive disadvantage is pointless. like all poorly educated ‘self-made’ rubes, he buys into the idea that a community college degree is as good and as useful as an elite ivy degree (of course he does, lacking an elite degree). any efforts to point out the disparity in education and opportunity is mere ‘snobbish elitism’, making up fake value over tie pins and signet rings; it can’t possibly be because of a real difference in kind or degree, a better intellectual education or preparation for professional careers.

and, most obviously and stupidly of all, he really believes that by reading and nodding along with ruling class opinion, he will transition all the rungs up the ladder in one seamless rout of the snakes and ladders board. he subscribes to the american ‘dream’ (because you have to be asleep to believe it) that he’s one bright business idea or promotion away from joining the elite. maximum mobility baby!

the right wing have an easy cognitive escape route whenever their doctrinaire little slogans brush up against too much reality. left or liberal thinking is for ‘losers’. it’s for the ‘afraid’. the ‘dependent’. people like jay meanwhile can justify their own filching as cynical ‘pessimistic realist’ ubermenschen stuff. i’ll have the confirmation bias starter with the cognitive dissonance main, please, waiter!

Last edited by uziq (2020-04-10 05:57:38)

SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
I remember when Jay used to wear a suit and tie to work everyday until he figured out business casual. "Dress for the job you want" or something like that.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
I wonder if this is the sort of thing Jay did, a little more than plugging numbers into equations.
Obviously there's some trivial fun stuff in there.
https://www.studocu.com/en-gb/document/ … 15403/view
uziq
+492|3422

Dilbert_X wrote:

I wonder if this is the sort of thing Jay did, a little more than plugging numbers into equations.
Obviously there's some trivial fun stuff in there.
https://www.studocu.com/en-gb/document/ … 15403/view
remember, he basically got a literature degree too because he took an elective one year and had to write a book report.

easy!
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Come to think of it I don't remember all those "If you want to tighten a nut do you turn it left or right" questions.
I guess they've been sprinkled in to put a floor under the grades, so everyone gets a pass.
uziq
+492|3422
the funniest thing about all these ‘true liberals’ on the internet, who continually like to invoke their ‘first principles’ and throw around the big shiny Enlightenment word, is that it’s quite clear none of them have ever read an Enlightenment text or thinker.

their relation to the Enlightenment is the same relation between the nazis and Aryans, i.e. self-invented and mythical, contrary to all fact and field datum. the only difference is they go off on wild rambling missions on online blogs and comment sites now, rather than sending expeditionary forces to find hidden treasures in the Himalayas that would establish once and for all their God-men lineages.

consider the utter meaninglessness of Jay’s self-aggrandising talk about vouchsafing the Enlightenment ‘tradition’, when everywhere he seems to be about as classically illiberal as can be possible.

the entire impetus of the Enlightenment was to instrumentalise reason and rationality to form new societies, governed by the wise and protected against the caprices of despotism. it was the era which saw the widespread enlargement and establishment of institutions such as the modern 'liberal' university and the promulgation of learning for learning's sake -- of renaissance scholarship and a renewed interest in classicism. jay hates elites and the educated; he distrusts credentials; he thinks taking lessons from history or learning is mere copying of exam answers.

the entire idea of Enlightenment politics, revolutionary or not, was to set-up systems of checks and balances on absolute power, to separate powers between church and state, to establish non-partisan legal systems and judiciaries who would judge every man as the same before the law; to encourage independent fourth estates of journalists and writers who could hold power to account, and wield facts and bring uncomfortable truths to public light; legalism and due process over absolute authority and the divine right of kings and leaders.

Jay is full of regurgitated complaint when judges rule against leaders and meddle in government (as in the UK supreme court’s reversal of bojo’s illegal prorogation). he thinks that journalists are the ‘worst’ group of people in society, only ever out to frustrate leaders and sow discord.

liberal societies were firmly rooted in the idea of the public space, the agora, a place where informed and reasoned individuals could debate and exchange ideas, to the mutual enrichment of all; a complex system of competing interests and views finely navigated; compromise and comity. Jay thinks every issue is down to the people in blue ties messing everything up for the people in red blazers.

in fact, every single attitude that jay expresses in the name of his impeccable and noble ‘Enlightenment’ vision is actually pre-Enlightenment. he is always on the side of executive power and thinks that due process, checks and balances and public scrutiny should be smoothed over and expedited wherever possible. Jay’s politics are monarchy-lite. no surprises that the quisling authoritarian has sweat on his top lip for fancy philosophical ideas he’s never taken any efforts to read outside the National Review.

Last edited by uziq (2020-04-11 05:57:50)

SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
The online upset Bernie supporters who are vowing to vote third party or note vote at all are trying their hardest to let people know "Biden is a rapist".

What a relief that's what they settled on. No one cares about any of that shit. Biden getting attacked by a bunch of hysterical women might actually improve his numbers.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
The Strong Female Protagonist. You can't name a more boring character.
https://i.imgur.com/5TONDzi.jpg
Look at her! So determined. That's her personality. Determined and tough. Nothing is ever too tough for her. The men around her are weak, flawed, and easily defeated.

This is what ruined Westworld. The entire show is now the adventures of Evan R. Wood, Strong Female Protagonist. She goes scene to this scene owning men, being tough, and owning men. She never makes mistakes. She is always one step ahead of everyone. She is going to take down all of humanity because it was really all just led by a bunch of weak men who weren't ready to take on the one Strong Female Protagonist.

And that's why Westworld is failing. No one wants to watch a Strong Female Protagonist all day. Not even women are interested in that.

https://i.imgur.com/2ZmEfZb.png

Now this is a strong female protagonist.
https://api.time.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/game-of-thrones-s8-e6-daenerys-targaryen-iron-throne.jpeg
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6707|Oxferd Ohire
Didn't they just renew it for a fourth season
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
HBO had no choice. If they didn't renew it Evan R. Wood would get the Social Justice Warriors on Twitter relied up against them.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

So is she a robot or what? I haven't watched any of the new westworlds.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
She is a social justice robot
Westworld actress Evan Rachel Wood is the latest star to break ranks with Hollywood’s left-wing elite by backing fellow actress Rose McGowan’s recent stand against Democrats and the media in the wake of Tara Reade’s sexual assault allegation against Joe Biden.

Evan Rachel Wood tweeted her support of Rose McGowan, writing “I have to say this is… spot on,” in response to McGowan’s recent statement describing her disillusionment with the left-wing establishment, calling them a “cult.”
Your show is failing. What do you do then? Make more enemies.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Amazing that neither Trump nor Biden dare bring up the other's rape allegations. Is rape-detente a thing?

And how the fuck did the democrats elect a near 80-year-old groper as their candidate?

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard