Announcement

Join us on Discord: https://discord.gg/nf43FxS
Discuss.
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+627|4865|Washington St.
I made it pretty deep into calculus in college but hadn't practiced much higher-level math since. Not long ago I was trying to do some VERY-basic pre-calc math for fun and could NOT figure it out. Something that would have taken me 30 seconds in high-school or college.

After re-learning it I got it again, but yeah it definitely wasn't instant.
SuperJail Warden
Member
+297|2294

pirana6 wrote:

I made it pretty deep into calculus in college but hadn't practiced much higher-level math since. Not long ago I was trying to do some VERY-basic pre-calc math for fun and could NOT figure it out. Something that would have taken me 30 seconds in high-school or college.

After re-learning it I got it again, but yeah it definitely wasn't instant.
Do you smoke marijuana? I shudder thinking about how much I fucked up my learning ability by having mild substance abuse disorder.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+1,995|3933|London, England
I was almost 10 years removed from high school when I started engineering school. I had to re-teach myself literally EVERYTHING while taking Calc I. That was fun. I barely remembered algebra, let alone trigonometry.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,675|4681|eXtreme to the maX
Then you never really learned it, just held it in your head long enough to regurgitate it in an exam and promptly forgot it.
Epstein didn't kill himself
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+627|4865|Washington St.

SuperJail Warden wrote:

pirana6 wrote:

I made it pretty deep into calculus in college but hadn't practiced much higher-level math since. Not long ago I was trying to do some VERY-basic pre-calc math for fun and could NOT figure it out. Something that would have taken me 30 seconds in high-school or college.

After re-learning it I got it again, but yeah it definitely wasn't instant.
Do you smoke marijuana? I shudder thinking about how much I fucked up my learning ability by having mild substance abuse disorder.
No but I do partake in the biweekly alcohol binge so poytato potahto
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+734|5259|United States of America
I had to do some Law of Cosines stuff a month or two ago and have no recollection of learning that in school.
unnamednewbie13
Moderator
+1,784|5346|USA

It helps if you just make a game of it and go through a workbook every couple years of so.
SuperJail Warden
Member
+297|2294

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

It helps if you just make a game of it and go through a workbook every couple years of so.
that sounds oddly specific...
unnamednewbie13
Moderator
+1,784|5346|USA

Because it kind of is? I go over old stuff I learned every now and then just to keep in shape with it. Easier to treat it like a puzzle or game when there's no assignment pressure.
SuperJail Warden
Member
+297|2294
I highly suggest you just let your skills entropy.

Do you guys like Stephen King? I only read one his books but enjoyed it. I am pretty familiar with the movie stuff. The last two girls that read books that I spoke to both really like Stephen King. So is that something I should get into?
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,675|4681|eXtreme to the maX
You meant atrophy.

My sister likes Stephen King, he seems to write for women.
Epstein didn't kill himself
uziq
Member
+253|2027
there are two phases of stephen king, the try-hard creepy 'goosebumps for adults' stephen king and the COCAINE stephen king.

they are both pretty much execrable writers but as cultural phenomena, very funny.
unnamednewbie13
Moderator
+1,784|5346|USA

I don't think I've ever "finished" a Stephen King novel I picked up. Very loosely skimmed, leaving large gaps unread. I don't know if it was because I was biased or because it just wasn't very grabbing for me. Watched some of his movies, though.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+1,995|3933|London, England
I read most of his older stuff in my teenage years and enjoyed it. I picked up the last few dark tower books a few years ago just to wrap up the series and it was a slog.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,654|5312|Oxferd
Speaking of slogs I decided to read Fire and Blood for some reason. It's like a 12 hour long B movie. 90% of it is boring but the other 10% is hilariously bad.


Also only Stephen King I've read is The Long Walk. His stories make fun bad movies though.

Last edited by RTHKI (2020-04-10 09:53:22)

https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
SuperJail Warden
Member
+297|2294

RTHKI wrote:

Speaking of slogs I decided to read Fire and Blood for some reason. It's like a 12 hour long B movie. 90% of it is boring but the other 10% is hilariously bad.


Also only Stephen King I've read is The Long Walk. His stories make fun bad movies though.
The reviews for that book on Amazon are pretty bad IIRC which is ashame since it was the first ASoIaF book I was interested in. I didn't want to make the commitment to read the main series.
uziq
Member
+253|2027
i just got done reading 'steal everything you can', which was a minor talking-point book over here, and it's probably the worst thing i've read in ages. terrible argument, very thin research, too much arguing from the author's (very limited) personal experience and her emotive sense of frustration. and atrociously written, really one of the worst excuses for a style i've come across in a published text in some time. atrociously edited and carelessly proofed, full of errors, repetitive cliche and malapropisms.

it's pretty much everything wrong with left-wing thinking and left-wing publishing at the moment. no surprises that it gets celebrated and put on all the 'recommended reading' shelves at galleries and bookshops.

a solid 1/5 stars for me. avoid.
unnamednewbie13
Moderator
+1,784|5346|USA

I just searched that title and got "How to Talk to Your Cat About Gun Safety" as the first result.

Reworded and found the right book, I think. Some of the reviews speak for themselves.

"It was decent. Great topic, but not written with enough objectivity." 3/5 stars (Scoring 60% is 'decent'…)
"A very interesting read. Should be given out free to all school libraries. Educate the sheeple" 5/5 stars (Urgh, are they being sarcastic? I can't tell.)
SuperJail Warden
Member
+297|2294
Finished "The Plague" by Camus. I liked it. It's funny that a lot of how society deals with the plague in the book have come up in our ongoing crisis.

So next book is World War Z.
World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War is a 2006 zombie apocalyptic horror novel written by American author Max Brooks. The novel is a collection of individual accounts narrated by an agent of the United Nations Postwar Commission, following the devastating global conflict against the zombie plague.
Okay I know you guys are going to roll your eyes at me reading this trash but I have run out if Zombie movies to watch. I am desperate for a fix. Like a pill popper seeking out street heroin.
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,654|5312|Oxferd
Did you watch The Return of the Living Dead?
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
SuperJail Warden
Member
+297|2294

RTHKI wrote:

Did you watch The Return of the Living Dead?
Yup "Send more police"
SuperJail Warden
Member
+297|2294
World War Z is pretty funny. It's not a comedy though. It was written in 2006 just 3 years after the start of the Iraq War when it obvious the war wasn't going to work out. The zombies apocalypse started I guess by the time of the book publishing because of all of the vague references to a failed American war and a presidential adminstration led by someone who is clearly a caricature of George W. Bush.

So the first part of the book that I am still reading is basically how the Bush adminstration handled a Zombie apocalypse. (Poorly) In 2006 this might have been biting satire about our ongoing national blah blah blah. In 2020, it's just funny remembering how things were in the past.

I like the book a lot by the way.
uziq
Member
+253|2027
books damn themselves to that fate when they go down the 'topicality' route. it's like seeing a bunch of witty or sarcastic references to pepsi in 90s novels.
SuperJail Warden
Member
+297|2294
I just read a Paris Hilton reference in the book. I groaned. Paris Hilton might have not been classy but she still did less damage than YouTube celebrities and Instagram influencers. And while you could blame her for being the first to start the trend, she didn't code and manage the websites that enabled it.
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,654|5312|Oxferd
Finished Fire & Blood and The Expanse book 3, book 4 has a waitlist so I started Dark Money by Jane Mayer
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2020 Jeff Minard