uziq
+492|3449
don’t get excited. i doubt it.

remember when some people here were laughing at KJ for his workplace drills and mask supplies. whew, life comes at you fast.
Larssen
+99|1885

uziq wrote:

Larssen wrote:

uziq wrote:

i agree, it's so much better when everyone holds strong convictions on topics, like dilbert. for someone who seems hyper-aware of 'the internet' as a shaping force, it's quaint that you keep recycling rorty's antique ideas about edifying exchanges. you'll be citing 'the public sphere' and habermas next!

back to the pandemic, please.
World is getting smaller and smaller and you argue to limit democratic participation, great. I'm pretty technocratically inclined but that's a terrible idea.
where have i ever argued to limit democratic participation? i said subscribing to fixed positions and political decrees is a bad thing. you're the one moaning that people aren't 'choosing sides' in an increasingly adversarial and vituperative political scene. i'm not interested in giving myself a convenient label so that you can then initiate 'liberal centrist versus leftist' or whatever-the-fuck catechisms you're taught over there in bog catholic land.
Then why rant about 'the nation's greengrocers and hairdressers' having an opinion on Brexit? In what world is the argument for more political participation directly related to the loss of reason and increase in identitarianism? Oh, people having political affiliation is the problem, ergo we should again elevate politics beyond the reach of those plebeian hairdressers voting for UKIP.

Identitarianism results directly from a lack of interaction and understanding. Why do you think most anti-immigrant, pro-nationalists can be found in the countryside where there's no brown person to be found. I guess the reason is because jack and tracy developed a political opinion? What?

Also, of course people will form political opinions when the changes in their societies start to impact their daily lives. It's the shift from ignoring politics when times are good to in times of crisis suddenly shocking people into the fact that they're part of a larger whole that's very conducive to populism.

To the above: I'm not religious.

Last edited by Larssen (2020-04-01 12:39:28)

KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6629|949

uziq wrote:

don’t get excited. i doubt it.

remember when some people here were laughing at KJ for his workplace drills and mask supplies. whew, life comes at you fast.
i also said it wasn't highly contagious. I think that was a solid swing and a miss. It's kinda-sorta highly contagious.
Larssen
+99|1885
I don't think anyone really expected it to explode as it did so fair enough. I argued with my family that the growth curve in China was already slowing when we still had only 1 or 2 cases. Month later all of Europe shuts down.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3717

Larssen wrote:

But are you Catholic? You don't have to be religious to be a Catholic. It's an identity like your ethnicity or race. You get born into it.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
Larssen
+99|1885
I was raised protestant but in a predominantly catholic area. That's long ago though and I no longer live anywhere near there.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6103|eXtreme to the maX

uziq wrote:

you just say in the other post that you're an expert in supply chains and manufacturing but then evidently have no idea about how chinese manufacturers are pumping out these things, and to what levels of accountability they have to the local and central state governments. dodgy product is getting made in a hurry -- big wow. why doesn't australia quickly come up with its own supply chain if they're such a trivially produced object and if it's such a giant race-charged issue over there?
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-03-31/ … s/12105226
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-03-27/ … y/12093864
Tricky part is getting raw material which meets the standards.
As soon as we're independent of China in masks we can look forward to them retaliating for us daring to unseat their monopoly by cutting supplies of gloves.

In my long experience you can't trust anything coming out of China or India, you have to test every batch yourself, and multiple parts of every batch.
You'd think brass rods would be simple, but while the middle of the rod would meet spec the ends didn't, and so on.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2020-04-01 17:24:01)

Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
I can't link it as its a pay article but apparently Israel is also dealing with an explosion of cases in the ultra-orthodox community.
While only 10% of the population they account for >50% of the cases, since they refuse to abide by social distancing rules and typically live 12 to an apartment.

It would be great if this pandemic could see then end of organised religion.
uziq
+492|3449
you are a lunatic to connect the two things. of course it disproportionately affects some groups more than others, the orthodox faithful among them, but also disproportionately poor people, inner city slums, etc. there's something wrong with you that you want to turn every single world event into an anti-jew thing or an anti-religion thing. i think you'll be very disappointed in the secular 'promised land', should it ever arrive. people will still be people -- you don't seem to like them much.

In my long experience you can't trust anything coming out of China or India, you have to test every batch yourself, and multiple parts of every batch.
i work with indian suppliers every single day in my job; their work is fine. congrats on belonging to an industry full of cowboys, though.

Last edited by uziq (2020-04-01 15:10:12)

RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6734|Oxferd Ohire
Might as well argue with the popular views of reddit his are the same. China bad, Trump bad, religion bad, Idiocracy good, etc.
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3717
Trump is bad though
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

Larssen wrote:

Then why rant about 'the nation's greengrocers and hairdressers' having an opinion on Brexit? In what world is the argument for more political participation directly related to the loss of reason and increase in identitarianism? Oh, people having political affiliation is the problem, ergo we should again elevate politics beyond the reach of those plebeian hairdressers voting for UKIP.

Identitarianism results directly from a lack of interaction and understanding. Why do you think most anti-immigrant, pro-nationalists can be found in the countryside where there's no brown person to be found. I guess the reason is because jack and tracy developed a political opinion? What?

Also, of course people will form political opinions when the changes in their societies start to impact their daily lives. It's the shift from ignoring politics when times are good to in times of crisis suddenly shocking people into the fact that they're part of a larger whole that's very conducive to populism.

But the plebs are too uneducated for their opinion to matter, not that that matters because its not going to be the right one.

As you've pointed out, derpzique ridicules and prescribes treatment for anyone who crosses his path but won't nail his own colours to a mast.
And while ridiculing me for not voting Labor couldn't bring himself to vote Labour. Sad!
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

Larssen wrote:

I don't think anyone really expected it to explode as it did so fair enough. I argued with my family that the growth curve in China was already slowing when we still had only 1 or 2 cases. Month later all of Europe shuts down.
I thought the same, who could have imagined we'd be so stupid.

South Australia is just starting to see in-community transmission I think, the Ruby Princess fiasco and keeping schools open have probably done it.
That and 16,000 Australians heading off on holiday at the start of March, dur.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

uziq wrote:

people will still be people
Maybe they'll be made to enter the community, submit to local laws, social mores etc.
Or they'll find themselves shunned, again, and it'll be due to anti-semitism, again.
you don't seem to like them much
They think they're better than me because they're in a cult, if it weren't from that I'd be happy to ignore them.

congrats on belonging to an industry full of cowboys, though.
Medical and defence electronics - yes, what a bunch of rogues.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2020-04-01 19:53:14)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
So China has just admitted they've had twice as many cases and twice as many deaths as before.

Nice.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6769|PNW

More than 1,000 in US die in a single day from coronavirus, doubling the worst daily death toll of the flu 4/1
https://www.yahoo.com/news/more-1-000-u … 18568.html

he U.S. topped 1,000 coronavirus deaths in a single day for the first time Wednesday, a daily death toll more than double that of two of America's most deadly illnesses – lung cancer and the flu.

Death counts from the virus are difficult to keep up to date, but the Johns Hopkins coronavirus database – whose sources include the World Health Organization, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the European CDC and the National Health Commission of China – shows that the U.S. hit 1,040 cases Wednesday at 10:25 p.m. ET. Since the virus' first appearance in the U.S. in late January, 5,116 people have died and more than 215,000 have been infected.

The previous high mark for a single day in the U.S. was Tuesday, with 504 deaths.

Some researchers say the daily death toll could more than double – to 2,200 or more – by mid-April. That figure would eclipse heart disease, the nation's No. 1 killer with about 1,772 deaths per day, according to the CDC.

[…]
Flu, just the.

From social justice social media:

My healthcare management wont allow me to wear my own personal protective equipment.

I get steroid infusions due to my underlying health condition. I'm in the high risk group. I get it I'm 23 and look normal and healthy. My hall has 10 patients and 6 are under investigation for coronavirus. They say I cant wear a mask due to other employees wanting to wear masks. And or scaring the patients.

I worry about my nurse assistants as many fall in the high risk groups. I'm saddened to know that my life and theirs mean nothing. I feel like I'm just a body to fill a position. I know it's just one life but it's my life.

Fast forward to today they are allowing one mask per week. After my nursing assistant got admitted to the ICU and is being tested for coronavirus.
I want to believe this is fake news. Masks would scare the patients? That would be terrifying to me as a patient. Nurse works on person in the next room who you've heard coughing for the past 20 hours, then walks into yours with zero PPE. Like, no offense but stay the heck away from me.
uziq
+492|3449

Dilbert_X wrote:

So China has just admitted they've had twice as many cases and twice as many deaths as before.

Nice.
there have been similar spikes in other countries’ reporting, too. the UK ONS pointed out yesterday that the death toll was 20-30% higher than officially reported because the authorities conveniently left out 40 or so people one day for no good reason. plus, er, for some reason we are not even counting people who are dying outside of NHS facilities/hospitals. so everyone who dies at home or in a care home isn’t included in the tally. makes sense.

we’ve discussed here ad nauseam the fact that countries like italy are employing very different methodologies to other states, which again distorts the figures. and, again, to say nothing of the elephant in the room, which is that america is basically a totally untested zone where it is rampant. it is perfectly conceivable they have 10x as many cases and 10x as many deaths as are officially being tracked.

it’s not quite ‘china have 40x as many cases and have staged a massive cover up’, is it?

the same fear attaches to iran, for similar political reasons, of course. i find that more credible, at least, considering iran could genuinely lose control of the pandemic and don’t have anywhere near the same resources.

Last edited by uziq (2020-04-02 01:13:15)

uziq
+492|3449
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ … ial-growth

i love how wrong jay has been on this entire thing. and so condescending all the while, too. ‘listen, idiot, u don’t know math, viruses being exponential is just stuff for eggheads and their simplistic modelling’.

meanwhile he can’t even respond because he’s laid up in a plague ward dying a death of coronavirus.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6769|PNW

Supposedly Trump's approval rating is 49% through all this.

Who Are the Voters Behind Trump's Higher Approval Rating? 4/1
https://www.yahoo.com/news/voters-behin … 19015.html

Justin Penn, a Pittsburgh voter who calls himself politically independent, favored Joe Biden in a matchup with President Donald Trump until recently. But the president’s performance during the coronavirus outbreak has Penn reconsidering.

“I think he’s handled it pretty well,” he said of the president, whose daily White House appearances Penn catches on Facebook after returning from his job as a bank security guard. “I think he’s tried to keep people calm,” he said. “I know some people don’t think he’s taking it seriously, but I think he’s doing the best with the information he had.”

Although Penn, 40, said he did not vote for Trump, his opinion of the president has improved recently and he very well might back him for a second term.

Across the country, the coronavirus has sickened more than 150,000 people, cost millions their jobs and tanked the stock market. Yet the president’s approval ratings are as high as they have ever been, despite what most agree to be his slow performance dealing with the crisis, as well as his record of falsehoods about the virus, his propensity to push ideas and treatments that contradict expert advice, and his habit of lashing out at governors on the front lines.

While public perceptions are fluid in a crisis, a notable twist in polling at this point is that independents are driving Trump’s bump in approval, and some increased Democratic support is a factor as well. Gallup called that “highly unusual for Trump” in reporting its latest survey, which was released last week and showed Trump’s approval rating at 49%, equal to the best of his presidency.

continues
smh
Larssen
+99|1885

Dilbert_X wrote:

Larssen wrote:

But the plebs are too uneducated for their opinion to matter, not that that matters because its not going to be the right one.

As you've pointed out, derpzique ridicules and prescribes treatment for anyone who crosses his path but won't nail his own colours to a mast.
And while ridiculing me for not voting Labor couldn't bring himself to vote Labour. Sad!
It's about giving people a voice and a stake in the direction their country is headed in and making them more aware of and involved in the various views that are present in a democracy. Of course with respect to (constitutional) laws and liberties, so I'm sorry to say but outright racism has no place there. Anyway, allowing the 'uneducated plebs' to express an opinion is integral to the stability of a country (and democracy). The idea that participation matters and the channeling of it through a democratic process, both of educated and uneducated, legitimises government and prevents its estrangement from the people it serves.

However 'wrong' the choice of the masses may be, the point is not necessarily to have the objectively best government (what even is that?) but to have a system that isn't detached from its people, respects their autonomy and liberties and in which all parties can find a way to peacefully influence governance.

As for making better choices and not forcing our hairdressers to think about every policy issue government faces - that's why there's an elected representation, an advisory & executive bureaucracy and a legal system. You could say the EU forms a more or less technocratic layer on top of that where democracy is mostly indirect (through the EC) and somewhat reduced in power but still present such as through the european parliament.

If one refuses to participate in the process when divisive crises inevitably arrive... that's akin to sticking one's head in the sand.

Last edited by Larssen (2020-04-02 02:37:24)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for

Larssen wrote:

You could say the EU forms a more or less technocratic layer on top of that
Except it wasn't so much, just another bunch of morons with an agenda.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

uziq wrote:

it’s not quite ‘china have 40x as many cases and have staged a massive cover up’, is it?
Seems someone might have hacked the data, oh well.
Trump’s approval rating at 49%, equal to the best of his presidency
Which is a pretty low mark.
Not sure how Trump and Cuomo are getting yuge ratings when they're both disastrous, apparently people put more store in spinning a good line on TV than delivering a result.

For balance.
The Tablighi Jamaat have come into the spotlight after an event they held in the Indian capital Delhi has spawned a number of Covid-19 clusters across the country. But exactly who is this group and why did they hold a big gathering in Delhi? BBC Hindi's Zubair Ahmed reports.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-52131338

For the average person in a western country, let alone a third world one, extensive foreign travel is a relatively recent concept.
Maybe this will be the end of open borders and easy touring.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6769|PNW

Prosecutors: Engineer deliberately ran train off tracks in attempt to smash the USNS Mercy abc 4/1
https://abc7.com/usns-mercy-coronavirus … nt/6069395

SAN PEDRO, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- An engineer deliberately ran a train off the tracks at high speed near the Port of Los Angeles in an attempt to crash into the USNS Mercy hospital ship, prosecutors say.

The Pacific Harbor Line train derailed Tuesday, running through the end of the track and crashing through barriers, finally coming to rest about 250 yards from the docked naval ship.

Federal prosecutors allege train engineer Eduardo Moreno, 44, of San Pedro intended to hit the ship, saying he thought it was "suspicious" and did not believe "the ship is what they say it's for.'"

[…]
Christ.

Nation's top coronavirus expert Dr. Anthony Fauci forced to beef up security as death threats increase cnn 4/2
https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/01/politics … index.html

(CNN)Dr. Anthony Fauci, the country's top medical expert on the coronavirus pandemic and a member of President Donald Trump's coronavirus task force, is facing threats to his personal safety and now requires personal security from law enforcement at all times, including at his home, a source confirms to CNN.

A law enforcement official told CNN that the Department of Health and Human Services Inspector General, the agency's law enforcement arm, asked the US Marshals Service for assistance following threats to Fauci. The Marshals then deputized HHS officers to act as personal security for the doctor.

The Washington Post first reported the threats to Fauci and the increased security.

A source also confirmed to CNN last week the presence of several members of the Washington, DC, Metropolitan Police Department stationed at all times around Fauci's home in the district. The source added the stepped up visible police presence was a response to growing threats to Fauci's safety, though the source of the threats was not identified.

During the White House coronavirus task force briefing with reporters on Wednesday, Fauci was asked whether he or White House coronavirus response coordinator Dr. Deborah Birx, who also serves on the task force, had received threats of any kind or whether they had been assigned a security detail. He said he was not able to answer.

"Anything that has to do with security detail I would have to have you (ask your question) to the inspector general of HHS," he said, referencing the Department of Health and Human Services.

Fauci's response was quickly interrupted by Trump, who stepped up to the podium to say the nation's most visible infectious disease expert doesn't require protection.

"(He) doesn't need security, everybody loves them," said Trump. "Besides that, they'd be in big trouble if they ever attacked."

[…]
"Something, something, must be loving this shit because of tissue boxes."
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5355|London, England

uziq wrote:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/02/global-coronavirus-infections-near-million-mark-after-near-exponential-growth

i love how wrong jay has been on this entire thing. and so condescending all the while, too. ‘listen, idiot, u don’t know math, viruses being exponential is just stuff for eggheads and their simplistic modelling’.

meanwhile he can’t even respond because he’s laid up in a plague ward dying a death of coronavirus.
I'm actually over it and not contagious anymore. I'll be leaving quarantine permanently on Saturday. Tootles!
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
uziq
+492|3449
i'm glad you emerged unscathed, jay. maybe now you can start reading the opinions of experts and get outside of your bizarro right liber-retardarian echo chamber.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard