BVC
+325|6694
Good to see this forum still going strong after all these years.

We're at 39 cases, all but one or two have travelled from overseas and those who didn't are immediate contacts of those who have.

Our government has closed the borders to everyone except returning kiwis.  Travel wasn't even this tight during WW2.

Work from home is almost inevitable, pantry is well stocked, time to get comfy.
uziq
+492|3450
how long until the fake economy and mess that has been kicked down the road from 2008 implodes? it’s a race against time.

eurozone should be fun.
uziq
+492|3450

Larssen wrote:

Well there is no stopping it, I hope that by the time it makes a comeback from poorer regions that don't have the health system to cope enough resistance has been built up in the population to prevent another wave of deaths and quarantine measures.
most are predicting a worse second wave in winter 20/21.

that’s from now, of course, if little is done.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ETgJoohXYAMG-Ku?format=jpg&name=360x360

so italy has suppressed from the start, we have only started on the 19th.

our death figure in a few weeks' time will be pretty instructive as to how effective the 'herd immunity'/do nothing approach is.

Last edited by uziq (2020-03-20 03:38:03)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6770|PNW

Read a comment from a WA state health worker saying that people were stealing PPE and that the supply had to be locked up. Hospital was on its last N95 box when someone brought in an unopened one to donate.

Doesn't really bode well
uziq
+492|3450
the chinese girl offered to send me a box full of N95 masks. lol. you should all get a chinese penfriend. they could be more useful to you than your federal government.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6770|PNW

Maybe I can pen a letter to the People's Leader. Chinese relief for American hospitals would probably stick in Trump's craw.

In other news, Macbeth recently revived the folding thread in the tech section at https://forums.bf2s.com/viewtopic.php?p … 6#p3961916

Are BF2S users still doing this? Has anyone stopped?
uziq
+492|3450
i'm putting together a new PC this weekend so i'll look into it. it'll be a decent stress test.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6104|eXtreme to the maX
Did anyone ever find out what 'bitcoin mining' really was?

I'm sure it was the Russians cracking some encryption.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
uziq
+492|3450
it's still a thing, it consumes more energy than most small nations.

blockchain is incredibly inefficient, who knew? but its acolytes will still tell you it's the new human society.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
No-one needs the equivalent of hundreds of supercomputers grinding away to develop the encryption needed to manage fictitious financial transactions, or whatever the fuck blockchain supposedly is.

'anyway'

At this point I'm sure we could kill this virus if everyone could stay in their homes for four weeks straight.
This 'social distancing' isn't going to work, nor is business as usual and voluntary isolation for suspected cases.
uziq
+492|3450
i don't think anyone is doubting the idea that we could exterminate the virus if everyone except for the seriously ill was forced to stay in total isolation for 5-6 weeks (four weeks isn't enough to cover the asymptomatic and post-recovery periods).

the problem is the entire world hasn't ceased all activity for 6 weeks before. the fake news neolib cuck globalist economy is being flushed out even with moderate social distancing.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Might be a whole lot easier than practically ceasing all activity for a year.
uziq
+492|3450
amazing that no one has ever thought of that.

new outbreak in single city in china.
dilbert: shut down all flights everywhere until this thing is exterminated.

global pandemic.
dilbert: shut down the entire world for 6 weeks.

it's amazing you haven't been headhunted by an intelligence organization to head up some important crisis agency.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
I am very surprised.
uziq
+492|3450
anyway.

Panic, Nonchalance, Precaution, and Responsibility
https://medium.com/@allenfarrington/pan … da8c5318b8

Fires happen occasionally, albeit very rarely. They could be said to have a very low ‘mortality rate’ across the population. The aggregate cost of outfitting adequate fire escapes almost certainly exceeds the costs incurred by fires — or ever likely to be incurred — by several orders of magnitude. But, in this realm, we do not weigh up saved lives in economic terms, within reason. Nobody would accuse proponents of fire escapes of inciting panic. Nobody says we should wait and see if we really need them. If proponents insisted every single door in the world be a fire escape, every wall fireproofed, and every employer required to subsidise a fortnight’s training in fire preparedness, then this criticism would probably be merited. But if all they ask is for fire escapes, I doubt many would see a problem. Moreover, during a rapidly spreading fire seems an odd time to start making such a case.
it's funny that jay works in HVAC and can't wrap his head around the above analogy.

Last edited by uziq (2020-03-20 06:56:29)

SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3718
Are you all social distancing? I haven't left home in almost a week though I did celebrate St. Patricks day at a small party last Saturday.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
uziq
+492|3450
yep. last time i had a social occasion was last thursday. since then i've been buying PC shit and planning to stay inside for a while.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3718
Getting stuff delivered defeats the point of social distancing?
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6630|949

i was visiting relatives out of state last week and this week. Been locked down ever since.

California kinda sorta shut down. Some of my friends are panic-buying generators and guns and soil and seeds, some are trying to still go out and be social.

I bought a case of wine (red, natch), a bunch of beer and obv a lot of food.
uziq
+492|3450

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Getting stuff delivered defeats the point of social distancing?
no it doesn't? i'm not hugging the delivery guy. they leave it in a safe area/porch and leave. i open the packaging, get the stuff, and wash my hands after dealing with anything else that was likely touched by another human being within 24 hours.

if i was taking something from someone's hands then, yeah, sure, that's a risky transaction.

'social distancing' is intended to stop people from congregating in crowds, or in enclosed spaces for gatherings/events. a box being dropped off is not the same thing. the virus lasts for up to 20 hours on surfaces and can't infect you unless you then touch your face/orifices with it on your hands.

that's about as reasonable a precaution as anyone can take, even staying inside. come on, use some common sense.

where are you getting food from btw? growing your own? because those food containers you are bringing home (or having delivered) have been touched by other humans.

Last edited by uziq (2020-03-20 09:16:23)

SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3718
I am not getting any food delivered. I have a stockpile. If this continues for months and my stockpile runs out, I have protective mask and latex gloves to go out.
uziq
+492|3450
right. well in any case the point of social distancing is to slow the spread of infection, as in what happens in a bar or a restaurant very quickly in the space of a few hours. exponential growth. short of total quarantine and martial law on the streets, as in china, i don't think there is any assumption that 'social distancing' is going to stop all new infections.

the way to stop personal infection is to practice utmost hygiene, avoid enclosed spaces/public transport, etc.

social distancing does not mean avoiding all human beings and being terrified of cardboard packaging. people have to go get food. they have to queue in supermarkets. they have to use cards machines, shopping carts, doors, restrooms. none of these are being hosed down by a hazmat team. wash your hands and chill the fuck out.

Last edited by uziq (2020-03-20 09:37:34)

KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6630|949

SuperJail Warden wrote:

I am not getting any food delivered. I have a stockpile. If this continues for months and my stockpile runs out, I have protective mask and latex gloves to go out.
there's really no reason to stockpile more than maybe 2 weeks worth of food. We don't have a food production problem, or a logistics problem, or a store closing problem. People buying out grocery stores is fucking stupid.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3718

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

SuperJail Warden wrote:

there's really no reason to stockpile more than maybe 2 weeks worth of food. We don't have a food production problem, or a logistics problem, or a store closing problem. People buying out grocery stores is fucking stupid.
I already had the food and I don't eat much. I only bought a few small bags of rice.

I actually lose weight when I go through periods of isolation.

Last edited by SuperJail Warden (2020-03-20 09:51:03)

SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3718

uziq wrote:

right. well in any case the point of social distancing is to slow the spread of infection, as in what happens in a bar or a restaurant very quickly in the space of a few hours. exponential growth. short of total quarantine and martial law on the streets, as in china, i don't think there is any assumption that 'social distancing' is going to stop all new infections.

the way to stop personal infection is to practice utmost hygiene, avoid enclosed spaces/public transport, etc.

social distancing does not mean avoiding all human beings and being terrified of cardboard packaging. people have to go get food. they have to queue in supermarkets. they have to use cards machines, shopping carts, doors, restrooms. none of these are being hosed down by a hazmat team. wash your hands and chill the fuck out.
Eating takeout which I guess you seem to be doing is still dumb. If the person preparing your food is sick, they will probably get you sick too. Incubation is 2 weeks, right?

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard