uziq
+492|3412
i'm not sure where you're getting this new trip from that i don't create anything, it's highly amusing.

not that the 'you have to create something to criticise something' line makes any coherent sense.

so you're okay liking culture intended for adults generations ago, or? you poor impoverished little stoat.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6066|eXtreme to the maX
All you do is criticise and rehash other people's work.
I'm doubtful you've ever actually created anything.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
uziq
+492|3412
oh, now i see what you're getting at. because i've read more than you and bat away your batshit crank theories with, you know, citation and historical readings, now my problem is 'all i do is rehash other people's work'.

you forgot to say that reading long books is pretentious!!!

i suppose your paranoiac scientifically illiterate tripe about 'racial intelligence' is highly novel and creative, in your own mind. bless. u feeling k hon??
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Okay but what have you actually created?
uziq
+492|3412
why do i suddenly have to prove my credentials as a creator because i debate your dipshit theories on an internet forum?

‘all i do is criticise’ – LOL. most of my social life revolves around books, going to the cinema/theatre, attending concerts/gigs, museums and galleries etc (as any normal person’s life should). it involves plenty of praise and enthusiasm for things, and sharing in it and discussing it avidly with friends.

yea i criticise crank racist theories which involve prejudice against other innocent people or come at someone else’s expense (no fault ever lies with dilbert i note). and yea i think it’s pathetic that a grown man listens only to lady gaga and watches kids films (again it can’t possibly be because dilbert is missing anything).

the most pathetic thing of all is that you genuinely believe that any cultural object made more than a ‘generation ago’ is old news, as if the entire archive of human creation is worthless and has nothing to say. i don’t think i’ve ever met anyone with such a meagre imagination. you exist in a wasteland. no wonder you’re angry and bitter at everyone else and no woman wants you.

and i’ve published writing, i write and have worked on projects with photographers and musicians. if you think i’m going to share my published stuff and name with this toxic environment then you’ve got another thing coming you’ve got about as much chance of getting macbeth to share his state of NJ teaching certificate.

and again, not that i think anyone needs to create to be a good critic. read edmund wilson or james wood. did roger ebert ever direct a film? your entire notion is philistine and moronic.

Last edited by uziq (2020-03-10 02:25:52)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Lady Gaga has lost her way, I'll admit.

Otherwise you're not really moving the discussion forward.
uziq
+492|3412
can we figure out where the delineating line is between 'dilbert likes' and 'irrelevant culture intended for previous generations'?

how about the lion king? or toy story? to start off with some things at about your level. intended for other generations?

what about back to the future? ghostbusters? hopelessly dedicated to previous generations?

hmmm. the godfather? scarface? lost to the 70s forever and now irrelevant?

psycho? 2001: a space odyssey? planet of the apes? these are films properly reserved for your parents, right?

deeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerp derp derp

Last edited by uziq (2020-03-10 07:29:44)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
I dunno, are many people watching Bergman films these days?

Some films stand the test of time, no-one really gives a shit about dreary crime operas from the 70s, to 'Al Pacino' your career is not a good thing.

Relevant:

https://i.imgur.com/9wGQbI9.jpg
uziq
+492|3412
are people still watching bergman movies nowadays? are you insane? he's one of the most acclaimed directors of all time.

i've re-watched several of his films at the cinema nearest to my house last year alone.

criterion collection just issued a box-set of his collected works in 2018/2019, too, a huge undertaking.

don't advertise your ignorance because your cultural consumption is on the level of a grazing ruminant, picking up franchises aimed at children.

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/20 … collection

i honestly really do pity you, i don't even mean it rhetorically. i cannot imagine being inside your head and thinking all of these things are a 'waste of time' or an irrelevance.

Last edited by uziq (2020-03-10 14:41:24)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Shops release DVD box sets all the time.
uziq
+492|3412
yes well done. you clearly know what you're talking about.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5318|London, England

uziq wrote:

are people still watching bergman movies nowadays? are you insane? he's one of the most acclaimed directors of all time.

i've re-watched several of his films at the cinema nearest to my house last year alone.

criterion collection just issued a box-set of his collected works in 2018/2019, too, a huge undertaking.

don't advertise your ignorance because your cultural consumption is on the level of a grazing ruminant, picking up franchises aimed at children.

i honestly really do pity you, i don't even mean it rhetorically. i cannot imagine being inside your head and thinking all of these things are a 'waste of time' or an irrelevance.
I believe you've achieved the pinnacle of hipsterdom. You've managed to adopt only the most tedious of possible interests.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
I bet uziq wears a beret to film festivals.
uziq
+492|3412

Jay wrote:

uziq wrote:

I believe you've achieved the pinnacle of hipsterdom. You've managed to adopt only the most tedious of possible interests.
bergman for hipsters? lol. you are literally clueless. pretty sure most 20-something hipsters are into wes anderson and the safdie bros.

isn't it funny how quickly the ignorant gang up to take potshots. it's cute :')

shouldn't you take an interest in the much-celebrated swedish film industry, jay? i thought you were ancestrally scandi? this is another thing you can greedily acquire and superficially don to lend your family a patina of bourgeois respectability. an ostentatiously-displayed bergman DVD collection would go down handsomely with the lutherans, jay.

Last edited by uziq (2020-03-11 07:10:00)

uziq
+492|3412

Dilbert_X wrote:

what do you wear to lady gaga concerts, a tutu? face glitter? a tiara?

what looks more ridiculous -- me at a film festival or you at a lady gaga concert?

this isn't a case of glass houses, it's a case of the fucking hall of mirrors at versailles. i've never seen so much fragile glasswork in one place.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5318|London, England

uziq wrote:

Jay wrote:

uziq wrote:

bergman for hipsters? lol. you are literally clueless. pretty sure most 20-something hipsters are into wes anderson and the safdie bros.

shouldn't you take an interest in the much-celebrated swedish film industry, jay? i thought you were ancestrally scandi? this is another thing you can greedily acquire and superficially don to lend your family a patina of bourgeois respectability. an ostentatiously-displayed bergman DVD collection would go down handsomely with the lutherans, jay.
Who has time for anything like that? I only have so many minutes of free time in the day. I'm certainly not going to spend them worrying about impressing people that would be impressed by that sort of thing.

Don't mistake my comment for me trying to outsnob you. If there is anything that I've learned in my nearly 39 years on this planet it's that there is always someone willing to go the extra mile to be just a bit less inclusive and patronizing. Elitism. It's not a compliment.

If you do truly enjoy depressing Scandinavian cinema, then I take it back and apologize.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3680
I like Zombie and Pandemic movies. None of you will ever get the chance to live out your favorite movie type like I am now.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
uziq
+492|3412

Jay wrote:

uziq wrote:

Jay wrote:

Who has time for anything like that? I only have so many minutes of free time in the day. I'm certainly not going to spend them worrying about impressing people that would be impressed by that sort of thing.

Don't mistake my comment for me trying to outsnob you. If there is anything that I've learned in my nearly 39 years on this planet it's that there is always someone willing to go the extra mile to be just a bit less inclusive and patronizing. Elitism. It's not a compliment.

If you do truly enjoy depressing Scandinavian cinema, then I take it back and apologize.
except it isn't depressing? he did funny movies and lighthearted movies too.

most 'best films of all time' list will have literally 5-6 bergman movies on there. it's not some niche hipster thing.

it's not my problem that you're not interested in cinema. accusing someone who does take an interest of being an 'elitist' really is Zzzzzzz.

do you get pissy at all the people reading those long books with all the big, complicated words in them on the train, too?
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

uziq wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

what do you wear to lady gaga concerts, a tutu? face glitter? a tiara?

what looks more ridiculous -- me at a film festival or you at a lady gaga concert?

this isn't a case of glass houses, it's a case of the fucking hall of mirrors at versailles. i've never seen so much fragile glasswork in one place.
I don't think anyone cares what I wear to a Lady Gaga concert, I don't think she tours much these days.
uziq
+492|3412
i think it's more your attendance in general that's risible tbh. meanwhile nobody is going to bat an eyelid at a 30-year-old at a film festival. it's what adults do.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
My fellow LARPers are pleased that I'm making progress in my life, why are you so down on it?

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2020-03-11 14:13:29)

KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6592|949

uziq wrote:

i think it's more your attendance in general that's risible tbh. meanwhile nobody is going to bat an eyelid at a 30-year-old at a film festival. it's what adults do.
i went to a bad brains show sometime last year and it was the weirdest show i've ever attended in regards to the people there. Everyone from 60 year old old-school gutter punks to teenagers who probably have only heard of H.R.

It was a pretty terrible show too. I'm not sure why I expected any different.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3680
The My Chemical Romance reunion show is going to be a bunch of 30 year old yuppies playing dress up.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6592|949

I thought the "get big, have internal strife, break up, get back together and hold a reunion tour" cycle was reserved for bands who were good? Is Yellowcard opening for them?
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3680

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

I thought the "get big, have internal strife, break up, get back together and hold a reunion tour" cycle was reserved for bands who were good? Is Yellowcard opening for them?
Are you okay?

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard