uziq
+492|3422
you don't really notice it after 10 minutes. i hardly ever think twice about subtitles tbh. it's like a faculty you develop the more you watch.

you could always learn japanese. i think there is a repressed weeaboo inside you.

do you listen to shitty voiceovers of the children's tv shows you watch, when you're not gluing together models from the show? you couldn't pay me to listen to a fucking dub.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
I actually have to get around to watching the rest of that show before Hulu charges me for it. I got to episode 14 out of 49 and damn is it exhausting actually watching this stuff. Much worse than my childhood memories. But I need to finish it just this once so I can get this out of my system before I waste more money on it. Then I can move onto my next nerd shit to make up for the fact that I live alone. Swords. I should collect weapons next.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
uziq
+492|3422
i'm not against it, you do you. i just can't imagine watching the dubbed versions they used to air on children's tv networks. the voice acting was so, so bad.

especially in the case of 'cinema'. i'm not watching some auteur's carefully crafted work whilst the audio track is done by a bunch of hungry-for-work off-broadway actors mic'd up in a winnebago.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
The dub isn't the problem with it. The writing is just bad. It doesn't make any sense when you think about it. And the 5 male main character pilots are gay. Not literally but they show no interest in any of the women. And that just weird.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

Very rarely, I don't mind dubs. I'll usually watch subs given the opportunity. It's a bit like speed reading. After awhile your eyes don't even focus on the words most of the time; they're just taken in.

Of course, neither version will help if the material is just agonizing to sit through.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
28 Days later 8/10

28 Weeks later 6-7/10

I liked both a lot. I love Pandemic and Zombie movies. Weeks was a disappointing follow up to Days which was just fantastic.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

I thought both movies were a bit of a mess but with some pretty decent action scenes. Don abandons Alice, and then I want to go play Left 4 Dead again. I think the firebombing sequence inspired me to reinstall C&C Generals once.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
I like the fact that the Rage Virus doesn't actually create undead zombies but is instead a super rabies. It solves a lot of the technical issues around zombies. I like that whatever can kill a person can also kill a rage zombie. It's also cool that you can actually just starve them out.

28 days is really an unnecessary amount of time for the rage zombies to die off though. A hunger strike can last that long but that is only with a person consuming enough water. 3 to 4 days without water and you are dead. Especially if you are projectile vomiting blood.
https://www.bearcave.thecozymozy.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/28days-later.gif

As for actual movie stuff: I think the premise for each movie is pretty unique. The soldiers in Days aren't there to clean up the infection "by any means necessary". They just want women to live with. Weeks is the only Zombie movie that deals with resettlement that I can remember.

I didn't like: the Rage Zombies are too random, aggressive, and intelligent. The Days military base is under constant swarm attacks which doesn't make any sense. How are the zombies finding the base and then coordinating swarms? The Zombies also shouldn't be busting through doors walls, and windows like they do. In the Weeks the military should have been more prepared.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

They did to Weeks what they did to Game of Thrones. Write the characters and events in a way that make zero sense for the characters or events, in order to forcibly move the story to where you want it to be. The style bugs me, but since both of them are just zombie shows there's a limit to how much I can get tilted over it. It's not like I was forced to waste my time on them.
uziq
+492|3422
the desire for a sequel or continuation of everything is like a child that never develops past the phase of oral fixation. always crying out for more of the pus-filled pap from mummy. let a good fucking film BE as it was likely originally intended. hollywood is full of houses with shoddy extensions.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6076|eXtreme to the maX
Why make a book of a film?
Seems silly.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
uziq
+492|3422
you couldn't construe a point on the subjectif you were given 3 months and a library card, dilbert. you're worse than jay on this mastermind topic.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
How about a film of a book then?
How crass.
uziq
+492|3422
have i ever espoused such an absolute statement? nope.

a person who is even moderately well-read or well-watched would realise how much inter-textuality there is, and how much artists respond to and receive, if not explicitly quote and allude to, other's works. but to you this is all 're-hashing' and is a lowly activity. real works of art, like wonder woman, are novel creations with no borrowed plots, characters, or tropes. sad!

Last edited by uziq (2020-03-10 03:30:13)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
OK but sequels are bad for some reason.
uziq
+492|3422
sequels pumped out because the movie studio fancies another easy cash cow, or to convert an unsuspected hit into a franchise, are, yep.

if a scriptwriter or a director/producer envisions a movie taking up 3 parts, then that's quite a different matter.

does this need to be explained to you? baby boo?
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

uziq wrote:

have i ever espoused such an absolute statement? nope.

a person who is even moderately well-read or well-watched would realise how much inter-textuality there is, and how much artists respond to and receive, if not explicitly quote and allude to, other's works. but to you this is all 're-hashing' and is a lowly activity. real works of art, like wonder woman, are novel creations with no borrowed plots, characters, or tropes. sad!
So:

Incestuous rehashing - good

Creative originality - bad

I think I understand you now.
uziq
+492|3422
the point being that a good number of the greatest films, novels, stage plays etc. of all time have relied heavily on precursors and previous work. many of shakespeare's best plays were adaptations of italian source material. are they worse off for it? no.

and wonder woman is of course wholly unoriginal. that's the enduring appeal of comic books. their characters and plots/situations are basically mythical, a 21st century pantheon like the ancients would have known. their creativity is not 'original'.

in both cases if you weren't so ignorant you'd know better. unfortunately you have a very long way to go.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

They did to Weeks what they did to Game of Thrones. Write the characters and events in a way that make zero sense for the characters or events, in order to forcibly move the story to where you want it to be. The style bugs me, but since both of them are just zombie shows there's a limit to how much I can get tilted over it. It's not like I was forced to waste my time on them.
I was annoyed that there was absolutely no security guarding the lady they captured. The firebombing scene also looked like trash though the concept is cool.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

It pains me to imagine that there probably are people out there who think Wonder Woman is entirely original when the whole thing is basically a third party expansion pack onto Greek mythology. Didn't she fight Ares in the movie?

Cats 2019 0/10 didn't see.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

Knives Out 10/10
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5328|London, England
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
uziq
+492|3422
dilbert isn’t going to be able to sleep for a week, thinking about taylor swift’s feline cornhole.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

https://i.imgur.com/klIpcOo.jpg
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Just hoping I don't die before this gets released.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard