SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
ITT: we discuss lawsuits

So the Boy Scouts of America filed for bankruptcy because they have a bunch of sex abuse lawsuits they need to settle. Apparently gay people liked to abuse boys in the woods.

Anyway what I found interesting is that the bankruptcy is largely a result of states passing laws that allow people to sue organizations for sex abuse many years after the criminal statue of limitations has passed. This means if a gay man fondled a boy in 1962, some states will allow you to sue the Boy Scouts in 2020.

How do you feel about these laws? Should it be okay to sue organizations today for crimes committed by it's members decades ago?
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6076|eXtreme to the maX
If the organisation was complicit, negligent or covered it up then yes.
These things take a long time to come out, so the limitation period should be in decades.

I don't really believe gays are more likely to be paedophiles than anyone else.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
So if the whole organization collapses because of some victims getting big disproportionate settlements then that is fine?

And the fact that the church sex abuse scandal was also man on boy is a fact that the liberals don't to talk about.
uziq
+492|3422
the lawsuits are valid. the catholic church has already been paying out huge amounts for the same, rightfully so.

if you shelter or, worse, create pedophiles with your sickly, sexually repressive institutional ethos, then you are culpable.

how could a church sex scandal not be man on boy, considering women, in the main, aren't allowed into the priesthood?

ireland has plenty of scandals with nuns and sisters stealing or killing babies, leaving aborted women to die, etc. on the other hand.

Last edited by uziq (2020-02-18 06:26:39)

SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
For decades the Boy Scouts officially did not let gay members in. The Social Justice Warriors forced them to change this policy in 2013. So it seems like they were taking active measures against sex abuse. Same with the Catholic Church. It seems like federal and state law failed here.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5328|London, England
If there was a culture of covering these things up, then sure. If it was individuals without conspiracy then no. It's just another thing for tort lawyers to get rich off of. Tort lawyers are scum.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

SuperJail Warden wrote:

So if the whole organization collapses because of some victims getting big disproportionate settlements then that is fine?
Yes, it shuts down a corrupt institution and forces others to examine themselves.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
The boy scouts of America has done a lot of good for society. And in modern times we complain about there being few unifying institutions. We can't let the actions of a few gays destroy an American cultural institution.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
US Lawsuit payouts are OTT, there probably should be limits.

Any organisation involving children is going to be a magnet for paedophiles and they're devious as fuck.
Its hard to resolve.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

*pedophiles

Why do you care about the BSA so much? Should an organization not be held accountable for decades of sexual child abuse? So many misguided traditionalists crawling out of the woodwork to be the BSA's shield. Creepy.

"It oNlY stArTEd In 2013!!"
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
It's because it is unfair that organizations with deep histories and chains of accomplishments keep getting sued into oblivion because again gay people abused some kids. To make it all worse the liberals refuse to acknowledge that it is gay men doing the abuse. They do this all the while still promoting the gay life style.

And if you look into the details of these cases, the abuse occurred decades ago before the BSA took legitimate steps to prevent abuse.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

I think it's more that liberals are rebuffing the attempt to grease the gears of homophobia with malicious propaganda and the fusing of two separate terms.

Maybe organizations with access to children shouldn't mismanage or attempt to conceal these cases when they pop up. Hold the priests and scoutmasters accountable.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Dilbert_X wrote:

US Lawsuit payouts are OTT, there probably should be limits.

Any organisation involving children is going to be a magnet for paedophiles and they're devious as fuck.
Its hard to resolve.
It wouldn't be so bad if 75% of the award didn't go in the trial lawyers pockets. They're blood sucking scum. In theory, tort law is a good thing in that lawsuits award damages against organizations after hurting people. In reality, it just makes a few lawyers wealthy and offers a pittance to the victims.

Last edited by Jay (2020-02-18 16:11:43)

"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

I think it's more that liberals are rebuffing the attempt to grease the gears of homophobia with malicious propaganda and the fusing of two separate terms.

Maybe organizations with access to children shouldn't mismanage or attempt to conceal these cases when they pop up. Hold the priests and scoutmasters accountable.
Were you ever a scout? It's a rather decentralized organization. Local troops, kind of like your local fast food franchise. One brand, one motto, different owners and local oversight.
-Frederick Bastiat
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

If you are worried about homophobia then you probably won't like how this will radicalize a lot BSA alumni against gays. Especially after they were forced kicking and screaming into letting them in.

You know this might actually be a good thing. I was never a boy scout anyway.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

Jay wrote:

It wouldn't be so bad if 75% of the award didn't go in the trial lawyers pockets. They're blood sucking scum. In theory, tort law is a good thing in that lawsuits award damages against organizations after hurting people. In reality, it just makes a few lawyers wealthy and offers a pittance to the victims.
I agree entirely.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

SuperJail Warden wrote:

It's because it is unfair that organizations with deep histories and chains of accomplishments keep getting sued into oblivion because again gay people abused some kids.
For every active paedophile there are often several passive ones who get a vicarious kick, and more people who aren't but turn a blind eye. And then there are the people who will do anything to protect the organisation, for their own reputation and income.
Organisations end up wholly rotten and its sometimes better to burn them down and start again.

And if you look into the details of these cases, the abuse occurred decades ago before the BSA took legitimate steps to prevent abuse.
Then the punitive damages should be scaled back.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2020-02-18 17:00:27)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

Jay wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Were you ever a scout? It's a rather decentralized organization. Local troops, kind of like your local fast food franchise. One brand, one motto, different owners and local oversight.
I was (not that I stuck around for Eagle). But I don't really get men in their 50s or whatever surfacing in news comments with misty-eyed nostalgia for the poor, beleaguered organization. "All those greedy people wanting to shut down a 'great American institution!'" Barf.

Also your fast food franchise comparison is humorous. Remember that highly concerted McDonald's' smear campaign against the person who got burns from absurdly hot coffee?
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
The McDonalds coffee suit was a legitimate case of an organization failing to protect its customers.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

Oh no, the crotchety old BSA alumni will just happen to become homophobic overnight because of this. What a dramatic turn of events.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
It will all be okay. When the Boy Scouts starts to sell off its land and assets to pay settlements those crotchety old BSA alumni homophobes will be the first to buy it all up. Probably cheaply too. Whatever they decide to do with property we can all rest easy knowing that the gays will not be invited.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

I can see it in the headlines. Crotchety old BSA alumni buy up BSA assets. Reassert child molestation, but at least the 'gays' aren't invited.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

But I don't really get men in their 50s or whatever surfacing in news comments with misty-eyed nostalgia for the poor, beleaguered organization. "All those greedy people wanting to shut down a 'great American institution!'" Barf.
In part they're protecting themselves, how many catholics these days get asked "Did you get raped? hur hur" if they don't they know thats what people are thinking.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

I can see it in the headlines. Crotchety old BSA alumni buy up BSA assets. Reassert child molestation, but at least the 'gays' aren't invited.
Crotchety old BSA alumni buys up former BSA camp site. Turns it into a MAGA camp.

At least some depression cases will get nice settlements. Maybe that coach that tried to off himself was tired of waiting for his Boy Scouts payoff.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard