uziq
+492|3422
don't think i've ever heard of anyone going to rehab for hallucinogens before. the fuck?
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
Ken had the worst childhood here. He went from alter boy to rehab regular. It's like a lifetime movie.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
uziq
+492|3422
lol lifetime movie,
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6602|949

my childhood was very good. I'm fond of it. I, like many people, had some trouble navigating my teenage years.

re: rehab for hallucinogens- i was sent to rehab because i didn't have respect for my parents or myself. I was taking A LOT of acid. Like 3-4x a week. It was less about the mind expanding and more about the mood altering. Wouldn't you know, it perfectly coincided with my parents going through marriage problems.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
Back in the day you went through your troubles and grow out of it. Nowadays kids have to worry about getting recruited in the the LGBT fad. Ken if he was born in 2010.
https://i.imgur.com/nyAXiVZ.jpg
uziq
+492|3422
makes sense.

i think i'd get sick of taking a hallucinogen that often. trips are given their auras of significance for me because of the way it's a time-out from reality, not the norm. a special rite.
uziq
+492|3422

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Back in the day you went through your troubles and grow out of it. Nowadays kids have to worry about getting recruited in the the LGBT fad. Ken if he was born in 2010.
back in my day you just blew through a few phases on myspace and then closed your photo. no one ever had to become a reuters stock photo!
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
That child is a victim of child abuse.

His parents make him do shows at gay bars where drag queens and members of the LGBT community throw dollars at him. Is this okay?
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6602|949

uziq wrote:

makes sense.

i think i'd get sick of taking a hallucinogen that often. trips are given their auras of significance for me because of the way it's a time-out from reality, not the norm. a special rite.
you would think so. Like i said, i was more interested in just getting fucked up. The first 5-10 or so were absolutely mind-blowing. After a while it just becomes a contest to see who can tolerate more. We used to talk in terms of "puddles" as in puddles of acid. "I just took a '10 puddle'." Meaning 10 hits of liquid acid. Makes me cringe thinking about it.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

From comments:
New York state allows a minor in a bar or club with a parent/guardian.  For working he has a child labor permit. The show itself is a contracted performance where he is paid to appear. It is  kinda boring for him since he is stuck backstage getting ready the entire time he is not on stage. - Dad.
I remember people making a stink, equating it to child stripping or underage concubines.

He's just march-dancing from one side of the stage to the other. Apparently, tipping drag performers is customary. But here it's easily exploited, bad optics.

I'm also not convinced that he's being forced into anything.

2019 wrote:

This persecution campaign by the alt-right is affecting Desmond both personally and professionally. It’s discouraging to witness adults attempt to tarnish the life of a minor. Desmond is a professional performer with a manager and a Child Performer's Permit issued by the New York State Department of Labor. His performance was in compliance with labor laws for a minor. Wendy said Desmond was not allowed into the bar area — only on stage and in the dressing room.
Since you're so concerned,

Group linked to performing arts school in regional NSW carried out 'blood rituals' during abuse of boys, police allege
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-02-06/ … ol/9399192

Harrowing.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

performing arts school in regional NSW carried out 'blood rituals' during abuse of boys, police allege
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-02-06/ … ol/9399192 Harrowing.
Liberal arts majors strike again. You don't see this sort of thing happen in STEM.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6076|eXtreme to the maX
OK, so no-one cares about the jews riling the muslims again.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

Does anyone here actually want Israelis to run over civilians and foreign protesters with bulldozers? It's just that you bring Jews into so much that it kind of gets blocked out.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
But they're in so much, thats the thing.

We'd have no trouble with the muslims otherwise, we got on fine with them.
uziq
+492|3422
the islamic world would have more than enough reason for animus against the west even without israel.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
Tensions are high now at the Cottage Grove church, days after a St. Paul Pioneer Press article declared the church’s alleged plans to “usher out gray-haired members in [an] effort to attract more young parishioners.” That article quoted one member accusing the church of “age discrimination” in its attempt to expel elderly congregants. The accusation was abhorrent enough to turn a tiny Midwestern church’s internal politics into national news. It confirmed every stereotype about contemporary churches obsessed with growth over depth, branding over authenticity, and youth over wisdom.
Consulting with denominational leaders, the Cottage Grove church’s leadership team voted last year to temporarily close the Cottage Grove campus starting in June 2020. They hired a 32-year-old “planting pastor,” Jeremy Peters, who will be charged with redesigning the church’s programs and Sunday worship style, and updating the building with the goal of attracting new—and yes, younger—members.
This is great. "Okay Boomer. Get out of the church"
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

uziq wrote:

the islamic world would have more than enough reason for animus against the west even without israel.
Well hardly.
uziq
+492|3422
you can only say that because every single thing is ultimately tied in to israel for you; without israel, no problem! but it’s not like everyone was going to make nice after the ottoman collapse, and it’s not like all of america’s interest in the region, or things like suez or the gulf generally, have not been hugely important on an economic/strategic level.

militant/political islam started in egypt, with the muslim brotherhood, in a context quite divorced from israel. qutb and co. were plenty appalled by the west and america when they visited, and narratives of decolonisation/modernisation were more pressing to the muslim world than ‘omg jews’.

why would pakistan fund, train and harbour AQ militants? what’s the link between the taliban and the cold war history of afghanistan and israel? i’m a little hazy on the details of your worldview so do remind me how this all ties together again please.

Last edited by uziq (2020-01-23 17:41:50)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
The West has nil interest in Afghanistan, or Pakistan, or Egypt. It would have been very easy to stay well away from them and not enrage them with decadent western values.

Oil rich nations were perfectly OK with selling oil to anyone who wanted it, no need to get involved there either and we pretty much haven't. Looking back foisting a pro-Israel dictator on Iran was probably a mistake in the long-run.

Israel and Western support for Israel has enraged the average citizen of every country neighbouring Israel, never mind the Palestinians themselves.
Half the world banded together over one day's trivial terrorist attack on America, but why the Arab and other nations see Israel's ongoing slaughter and dispossession of the Palestinians as a collective grievance is a mystery?

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2020-01-23 18:05:06)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

Afghanistan alone is a treasure trove of mineral reserves and precious metals. I think it's silly to pretend there's nothing of interest there.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
The West will always have an interest in Egypt and Israel due to the existence of the Suez canal. It's existence is vital to Europe's economy.

Most of the Muslim refugees coming into Europe are from Africa. There is no relation between the problems in the countries those people come from and Israel. Most of the issues related to the Muslim population in Europe are not related to Islam but are in fact tied to poverty and the inherent alienation experienced by ethnic minorities in any host country. There would be a subset of Muslims in the west violently opposed to the western government with or without Israel ever being a thing.

Further, the Middle East would still have a big issue with violence even if the land Israel is on top of was returned to Egypt in 1918. Turkey, Egypt, and Iran are all old, complex, and highly populated countries. The balancing of their interest without Israel, and the U.S. would go as well as the Europeans trying to balance their power before World War 2.
uziq
+492|3422
the west has zero interest in egypt?

LMAO the suez canal was (and is) considered a key asset during the era of colonialism and something of uttermost foreign policy importance when european states realised they couldn’t just rule egypt to maintain control over it. britain ran a de facto state within a state by having engineers/british companies manage the suez canal, or latterly oversee the egyptian operation.

the suez canal crisis is widely regarded as one of the most illustrative examples of post-colonial european statecraft, and a gigantic slice of humble pie for great britain and her allies (or rather lack of). i can’t imagine this is unknown history to you or your family’s generation.

i just cannot take you fucking seriously when you say shit like ‘the west has no interest in egypt’ and suchlike, and suggest we’d really do nothing to piss off islamic nations without israel. the egyptians were in a neo-colonial arrangement watching the world’s wealth sail by them whilst their asset was controlled by a foreign power. yeah, no grounds for animus there. none whatsoever.

you are so far gone with anti-semitism that it has marbled your brain like fatty deposits.

Last edited by uziq (2020-01-24 00:23:06)

uziq
+492|3422
also a ‘trivial terrorist attack on america’, um, what? 3,000 people died in one coordinated attack. if that’s trivial then can you please point out these terrorist attacks which are killing ‘substantial’ number of people? where’s the 10,000 dead in a day perpetrated by israel?

also your own worldview isn’t even consistent with the facts. we enraged the iranians by installing a ‘pro-israel dictator’? (that’s a pretty hot take on the Shah; here’s history thinking the iranians overthrew the Shah because of his closeness to the west, look up ’gharbzadegi’). but iranians took to the streets in huge numbers to light candles and express public grief and solidarity with americans on 9/11? but i guess they were all the while converted into raging anti-semites by the same people they were mourning.

it all just makes so much sense in dilbert land! the elegant and ineluctable logic ...

Last edited by uziq (2020-01-24 00:32:06)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
How did Britain gain an interest in the canal in the first place?
In 1875, as a result of debt and financial crisis, Egypt was forced to sell its shares in the canal operating company to the British government of Benjamin Disraeli. They were willing buyers and obtained a 44 percent share in the canal's operations for less than £4 million;
In January 1956, to end the incipient arms race in the Middle East set off by the Soviet Union selling Egypt arms on a scale unlimited by the Tripartite Declaration and with France doing likewise with Israel, which he saw as opening the Near East to Soviet influence, Eisenhower launched a major effort to make peace between Egypt and Israel. Eisenhower sent out his close friend Robert B. Anderson to serve as a secret envoy who would permanently end the Arab–Israeli dispute. During his meetings with Nasser, Anderson offered large quantities of American aid in exchange for a peace treaty with Israel. Nasser demanded the return of Palestinian refugees to Israel, wanted to annexe the southern half of Israel and rejected direct talks with Israel. Given Nasser's territorial and refugee-related demands, the Israeli Prime Minister David Ben-Gurion suspected that Nasser was not interested in a settlement. Still, he proposed direct negotiations with Egypt in any level.

A second round of secret diplomacy by Anderson in February 1956 was equally unsuccessful.Nasser sometimes suggested during his talks with Anderson that he was interested in peace with Israel if only the Americans would supply him with unlimited quantities of military and economic aid. In case of Israeli acceptance to the return of the Palestinian refugees to Israel and to Egypt annexing the southern half of Israel, Egypt would not accept a peace settlement. The United States or the United Nations would have to present the Israeli acceptance to all Arabs as a basis for peace settlements.It is not clear if Nasser was sincerely interested in peace, or just merely saying what the Americans wanted to hear in the hope of obtaining American funding for the Aswan high dam and American weapons. The truth will likely never be known as Nasser was an intensely secretive man, who managed to hide his true opinions on most issues from both contemporaries and historians. However, the British historian P. J. Vatikitos noted that Nasser's determination to promote Egypt as the world's foremost anti-Zionist state as a way of reinforcing his claim to Arab leadership meant that peace was unlikely.

Hasan Afif El-Hasan says that in 1955–1956 the American proposed Nasser to solve the Arab–Israeli conflict peacefully and in exchange to finance the High Dam on the Nile river, but Nasser rejected the offer because it would mean siding with the West (as opposed to remaining neutral) in the Cold War. Since the alternative to a peace agreement was a war with unpredictable consequences, Nasser's refusal to accept the proposal was irrational, according to el-Hasan.

Canal nationalisation
File:1956-07-30 Suez Canal Seized.ogv
Nasser announces the nationalisation of the canal (Universal Newsreel, 30 July 1956).

Port Said, at the entrance to the Suez Canal from the Mediterranean.
Nasser's response was the nationalisation of the Suez Canal. On 26 July, in a speech in Alexandria, Nasser gave a riposte to Dulles. During his speech he deliberately pronounced the name of Ferdinand de Lesseps, the builder of the canal, a code-word for Egyptian forces to seize control of the canal and implement its nationalisation. He announced that the Nationalization Law had been published, that all assets of the Suez Canal Company had been frozen, and that stockholders would be paid the price of their shares according to the day's closing price on the Paris Stock Exchange. That same day, Egypt closed the canal to Israeli shipping. Egypt also closed the Straits of Tiran to Israeli shipping, and blockaded the Gulf of Aqaba, in contravention of the Constantinople Convention of 1888. Many argued that this was also a violation of the 1949 Armistice Agreements.
Seems like more of a problem for Israel than Britain TBH.

Once again, without Israel in the mix its unlikely there would have been any trouble. Its creation has been a disaster for the region and the world.

But yeah, of course - colonialism and stupid trouble-making Arabs... nothing to do with Israel.
uziq
+492|3422
i'm sorry but if you think the control and importance of the suez canal was never a matter of resentment between egyptians, and incipient islamic nationalists like the muslim brotherhood, and the West, then you are historically illiterate. the influence of america/britain/france on egypt was a hugely sensitive subject.

yes, the politics of israel in the region were a major influence on american foreign policy. hence why the suez crisis was such an acute crisis. but you're literally denying the entire influence of (neo-)colonialism on the region, which is beyond retarded.

Last edited by uziq (2020-01-24 02:00:39)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard