unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

Yes, snipers in Afghanistan take turns one-handed pistol plinking at five nearby, immobile Taliban fighters with zero sense of urgency and after taking seven years to aim.

What's wrong with the event simply existing because it caters to people who enjoy it? Is Olympic archery only a thing because you never know when you'll have to marshal the villagers to lob arrows at invading Frenchmen?
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6076|eXtreme to the maX
Actually you're wrong on multiple points.

In ISSF Rapid shooting at 5 targets in 4 seconds you have under 1 second to aim and fire the first shot, and plenty of urgency to fire the remaining 4 in under 3 seconds.

Historically Army marksmen have been strongly encouraged to interact with and shoot against their civilian counterparts, and engage in competition shooting. You can learn a lot from different kinds of shooting, plus focus and discipline.
'Plinking' with low powered pistols is cheaper and more instructive than blazing away with high-powered pistols for example, and if you can shoot a pistol one handed then shooting one two-handed or a rifle with a bipod becomes a a doddle.

Any sport can exist in its own right, I'm just refuting Derpzique's argument that its pointless and just for nerds, its not and there are hundreds of years of history behind it, more so than golf or tennis for example.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2020-01-19 21:27:42)

Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

When they actually start shooting, it goes fast. Before that it's a lot of standing around, drinking water, and leveling your gun getting ready to go. It really is an event for gun nerds. How many gun people have you hung with? Get them talking and you'll be bombarded with Star Trek levels of gun jargon.

Rifles are easier to shoot for a large number of reasons apart from two-handed control. Longer sight radius, weight of firearm working against trigger force and recoil, etc.

Is military competition against civilian counterparts supposed to support the argument that the particular kind of event you posted a video of is like a spiritual successor of training serfs to basic longbow training?
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
How many 'gun people' have I hung with? Actually most competition shooters talk about anything other than guns, the actual gun not really being that important. Gun fetishists are a different group.

Shooting skills are transferable between events and military shooting. Preparation, target practice and competition are good training for many things.
uziq
+492|3422
dilbert is a pure fantasist.

heavily editing your original post is a sure sign you’ve lost the grounds of an argument. the relation between britain’s military prowess and civilian shooting clubs is tenuous at best. the clubs you link were set up a hundred years ago and have had no effect on major conflicts or britain’s preparedness for war whatsoever, let alone fucking ‘defense of the realm’ and ‘centuries of global pre-eminence’.

the best you can do is mention medieval kings’ edicts to train the peasantry during times of encroaching war. really? medieval statecraft and longbowmen is the best evidence you’ve got for ‘centuries of history’ of your derpy hobby. you then link to the wikipedia of your beloved small bore association which states it was set up to counter the very low levels of firearms ability in the civilian population. so much for the proud history of amateur shooting, carrying the empire through its glory days. furthermore, the tone of the wiki history is very much one of it being a ‘well-meaning gentlemen’s scheme intended for the working class’. a scheme which was blown to smithereens in the great war, in a style of warfare totally unforeseen by boer war vets, and has been a niche pursuit since.

my favourite part is where it says they founded it in the spirit of ‘ancient practices’. because nothing speaks for a living, active pursuit like talk of revivals of things acknowledged as ‘ancient’. the start of the 20th century was full of crackpot english gentlemen looking to ‘ancient’ traditions — the druidic orders, for instance. i suppose by that reasoning the people gathering at stonehenge to hug the circles and read bad poetry represent ‘centuries of britain’s religious beliefs’ and a major contribution to our spiritual life (and the link between you target shooting at university and fucking henry VIII's longbowmen is about the same as that between glastonbury druids and fucking Merlin: pure fantasy).

from this description it sounds almost indistinguishable from pursuits like golf, which were similarly revived by gentlemen and aristocrats and had ‘medieval’ or ‘ancient’ links gussied up to add to the pageantry. you remind me of those pimply nerds who think that by joining their university fencing society, they're directly adopting the mantle of the Duc de Gourmand and becoming properly noble by getting whipped in the gourd.

and you keep going on about charitable status and close interplay with the army. yes, well done, like girl scouts again as i said. that land (public or private, it's not as if a bunch of old generals couldn't get a few parcels of land from the gentry for any old harebrained scheme) is given over to something doesn’t mean it’s in recognition of its immense contributions. the number of things given charitable status in the 20th century, to accord with and encouraging the changing nature of civic life, is HUGE. there were charitable friendly societies for knitting, women's cycling, bible reading groups, yoghurt weaving, etc, etc. in profusion in the victorian era.

yet again you’re massively over claiming something for yourself because, hey, you like it. the dilbert way of reasoning: me likey good, everything else bad. that you went to imperial college doesn’t seem to have done much for your growth as a person, as your approach to the world is still that of a baby at its mom’s teet. tennis is silly! just victorians flouncing around! bigger more successful sports are phoney! look mummy aren’t i good when i shoot!

Last edited by uziq (2020-01-20 03:23:27)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
uziq
+492|3422
you do know the zulu war was fought by enlisted men, right? i.e. the professional british army to which i was referring when discussing the 'pre-eminence' of britain. more young lads who were duped after a drink and 'taking the queen's shilling' in a pub than enthusiastic hobbyists who just couldn't wait to deploy their fearsome skill at the range.

and you have about as much chance of military valour as i do of winning a wrestling tournament in mongolia.

you shooting target pistols is more akin to men with ponytails practicing with samurai swords than it is with readiness for actual conflict. 'well-prepared for war' lmao.

Last edited by uziq (2020-01-20 05:23:38)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

Dilbert_X wrote:

How many 'gun people' have I hung with? Actually most competition shooters talk about anything other than guns, the actual gun not really being that important. Gun fetishists are a different group.

Shooting skills are transferable between events and military shooting. Preparation, target practice and competition are good training for many things.
I'm not sure how qualified that "most" is considering a lot of people enjoy talking about their sport or hobby. You talk about competition shooters and gun fetishists like they're two disparate groups, but it's more of a Venn diagram. I also think you're overstating the transfer of skills.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
I show that clip to my world history classes when we do imperialism in Africa. I really like how they show the reloading of the rifles in detail. I tell the kids "try to remember what you learned about the American revolution. Do you remember muskets and how long they took to reload? Do you think the British would have won the battle if they had muskets?"

It goes into the unit theme of new technology from the industrial revolution giving Europeans the power to expand throughout Africa and Asia.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

I'm not sure how qualified that "most" is considering a lot of people enjoy talking about their sport or hobby. You talk about competition shooters and gun fetishists like they're two disparate groups, but it's more of a Venn diagram. I also think you're overstating the transfer of skills.
Between serious competition shooters and gun fetishists there's little overlap in my experience.
Do you have any experience of actual high-level competitors, as opposed to your average club-level hero? Most clubs are lucky to have 1% of their membership in the first category.

Transferring a skill is a whole lot easier than developing it from scratch, and thoroughly learning a basic skill in ideal conditions is easier than doing it the hard and usually longer way.

Better to start in go-karts in your local club than jump straight into an F1 race, for example. Chances are you'll be more succesfull in a shorter time.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2020-01-21 19:43:33)

SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
If you owned a gun range and a man in a dress showed up and asked to rent a gun from you, would you trust it with a firearm? This is an open question for the entire community.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6602|949

dang, if only your youtube link didn't cover the most integral part of your question. This one will remain unanswered for-ev-er.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
All you have to do is view it once, let me know what it is, and I will remove it.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6602|949

no thanks!
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

Ending in pe5XD9Hyoj0? It's just pokemon.

Could change to Chinese high heel puppy stomping at any moment though. It is macbeth we're talking about.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
There I changed it. Thank you for your cooperation. And no I do not enjoy hurting animals. I plan to become a K-9 cop after all.
https://www.k9copmagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/Screen-Shot-2018-02-26-at-11.03.14-AM.png

Last edited by SuperJail Warden (2020-01-21 18:46:36)

KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6602|949

You're the best!

SuperJail Warden wrote:

If you owned a gun range and a man in a dress showed up and asked to rent a gun from you, would you trust it with a firearm? This is an open question for the entire community.
https://imgur.com/Jix3e3F
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
I had a real weird dream where Donald Trump was assassinated at one of his rallies. He was on stage doing his thing and then a guy with a dinosaur suit got onto the stage.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41dnU%2BrzShL._AC_.jpg
He went over to Trump and put his dinosaur head on top of Trump's head. He then stated to explode fireworks he had on under the suit. So Trump is on stage with the dinosaur and it is becoming a fireworks show while the secret service is trying to separate them.

My dream then cut to the perspective of a news helicopter on television watching the ambulance race Trump to the hospital. The ambulance then loses control and start to roll. The stretcher Trump is on then gets ejected from the ambulance and Trump is rolling down the street on a stretcher.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/58/MS1_on_stretcher.jpg
He rolls into traffic and gets splattered by two trucks going in opposite directions. The last thing I remember before waking up was a smiling Mike Pence in the White House.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6602|949

r u ok?
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6707|Oxferd Ohire
The last thing I'd judge Macbeth over is a dream. Wild dreams are great.

Last edited by RTHKI (2020-01-30 13:07:40)

https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
Thanks, RTHKI. Ken doesn't understand dreams because he doesn't have any dreams.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6602|949

i don't remember 95% of my dreams, you're right.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
I pity you. I can fall asleep for 5 minutes and get a dream. I have lucid dreams too.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6602|949

are you not able to move a thing in these lucid dreams?
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
I am able to control my movement. I often go flying. Usually I just fondle dream people.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard