Announcement

Join us on Discord: https://discord.gg/nf43FxS
Discuss.
SuperJail Warden
+223|2228
When it comes to these debates gun enthusiast like to pretend that guns don't have the capability to produce carnage faster and more efficiently than bladed weapons. They will pretend knives are equally as deadly as guns until they can find a story of a child offing a criminal with a gun. Then the gun is suddenly "the great equalizer, supreme to all weapons".

I have come to accept that no amount of carnage will ever be enough to convince gun owners that they wouldn't be able to John McClain a situation if they were there with their guns.
https://s.yimg.com/ny/api/res/1.2/hbxyiuw8qBUDk2V9qzct3Q--/YXBwaWQ9aGlnaGxhbmRlcjt3PTY0MDtoPTQ0MC44ODg4ODg4ODg4ODg5/https://media.zenfs.com/en-US/blogs/movietalk/bruce-willis-john-mcclane-20th-century-foxs-die-970431329.jpg
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+1,970|3866|London, England

DesertFox- wrote:

I only saw that when some gun nuts were all self-congratulatory about the "good guy" stopping them. Sidebar: I know it's Texas, but what kind of church has multiple armed guards? However, people still died. Mitigating the effects of shooting sprees isn't preventing them. Is the free-dumb crowd just resigned that their best case scenario is to have public gunfights every now and then?

Disingenuous gun policy makes me think of the current approach to climate change from the same ilk. Delay, delay, delay ---- oh, it's past the critical point now. There's more guns than people, so anything that would've previous worked, won't. The planet's on track to cause all sorts of displacement and resource wars, but I'll be gone by then.
No, it's about deterrence. I lived in Texas. People don't have fights in the streets or mouth off to each other. It's legitimately a polite society because you don't know who is carrying concealed. Is that ideal? Hardly. Is it effective? Yes. You would think that this creates an environment of fear, but it's actually the opposite. People are more open because they don't have to be concerned with escalation.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
uziq
+199|1961
i have friends who go on holiday to austin once every few years. there are never fights in the streets of texas? LOL

great idea, though. i only hope that one day i can live in a society where everyone is polite to one another because they are terrified of being shot in the face.

Last edited by uziq (2019-12-30 14:53:52)

uziq
+199|1961
i don't know, you're the one evidently reading the daily mail every day and whipping yourself into an erotic frenzy over every news story involving black teenage gangs, muslims, and lesbian school teachers. why don't you tell me?
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+719|5193|United States of America

Jay wrote:

DesertFox- wrote:

I only saw that when some gun nuts were all self-congratulatory about the "good guy" stopping them. Sidebar: I know it's Texas, but what kind of church has multiple armed guards? However, people still died. Mitigating the effects of shooting sprees isn't preventing them. Is the free-dumb crowd just resigned that their best case scenario is to have public gunfights every now and then?

Disingenuous gun policy makes me think of the current approach to climate change from the same ilk. Delay, delay, delay ---- oh, it's past the critical point now. There's more guns than people, so anything that would've previous worked, won't. The planet's on track to cause all sorts of displacement and resource wars, but I'll be gone by then.
No, it's about deterrence. I lived in Texas. People don't have fights in the streets or mouth off to each other. It's legitimately a polite society because you don't know who is carrying concealed. Is that ideal? Hardly. Is it effective? Yes. You would think that this creates an environment of fear, but it's actually the opposite. People are more open because they don't have to be concerned with escalation.
The perverse incentive in such a scenario is that it also becomes incentivized for criminals to arm up and increase violence if they want to commit a crime. A fully armed populace probably would decrease nonviolent crime, but again, I wouldn't wish for a society a hair's breadth away from a shootout at any given time. Though, you did literally describe an environment where you have a fear of getting shot if you make someone too angry. It's like the Twilight Zone episode with the omnipotent child.

I have no qualms with wishing all these enablers experience gun violence on someone they love. The rest of us have to deal with the consequences of their actions; if only sometimes it happened to someone actually responsible.
SuperJail Warden
+223|2228
There are better ways to combat violent crime besides arming every normal person. A base level of violent crime is still less traumatic for communities than dozens of people killed in a single incident.
uziq
+199|1961

Dilbert_X wrote:

Might be better than living in fear of being stabbed and being unable to defend yourself.

How many stabbings in London this year?
also, not that it needs to be pointed out, but the number of terrorist incidents involving the public/bystanders is not exactly higher than in any other major world city and top target. you don't walk around london keeping to yourself for fear that someone will stick a knife in your chest, that's just not how it works. it's gang-related, which is a terrible phenomenon, but not quite the same state of affairs as a public being armed to the teeth in a mix of terrifying random violence and vigilantism.

last time i checked, people don't catch a stray knifing, either, simply by being in the wrong part of town or whilst sat inside their clapboard houses.

Last edited by uziq (2019-12-31 02:14:22)

unnamednewbie13
+1,762|5280|USA

Father and 9-year-old daughter are mistaken for deer, shot to death by fellow hunter
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/fa … h-n1110071
SuperJail Warden
+223|2228
Sad story I guess. But it could have been avoided if they bought some meat from Walmart and played Call of Duty instead of trying to off some deer with families.
SuperJail Warden
+223|2228
https://cbsnews2.cbsistatic.com/hub/i/r/2020/01/06/35327d37-266b-4be8-b025-721e7c7659e7/thumbnail/1200x630/d58778fea54c5a976aee5c4d9325ab82/trumpjr.jpg
Trump's son. The magazine has a Hillary Clinton in prison. The magazine is attached to a Crusader helmet and cross. It was also engraved with the "Crusader" and "Deus Vult".

Disgusting. A godless Protestant using Catholic iconography. The Protestants are just as awful as the Muslims.
War Man
Australians are hermaphrodites.
+556|5222|Purplicious Wisconsin

SuperJail Warden wrote:

TODO: FIX GAL IMAGES
Trump's son. The magazine has a Hillary Clinton in prison. The magazine is attached to a Crusader helmet and cross. It was also engraved with the "Crusader" and "Deus Vult".

Disgusting. A godless Protestant using Catholic iconography. The Protestants are just as awful as the Muslims.
Funny, I have a tendency to debate in my head whether Catholics or Muslims are more irritating

Last edited by War Man (2020-01-08 07:34:29)

The irony of guns, is that they can save lives.
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,629|5246|Oxferd
Why Catholics and Muslims specifically?
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
SuperJail Warden
+223|2228
He is disappointed a priest wouldn't touch him since the child abuse scandal is mostly fake news.
unnamednewbie13
+1,762|5280|USA

War Man wrote:

Funny, I have a tendency to debate in my head whether Catholics or Muslims are more irritating
Slated for OCS and already bigoted against two religions.

Truly the future pride of our American military.
SuperJail Warden
+223|2228
Thousands of people descended on Richmond, the capital of Virginia, on Monday to show support for the rights of gun owners as a push for gun control measures by that state’s newly empowered Democrats has inserted Virginia into a nationwide debate over gun violence and the Second Amendment.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/20/us/v … e=Homepage
https://static01.nyt.com/images/2020/01/20/us/20VIRGINIA-GUN-RALLY-promo/20VIRGINIA-GUN-RALLY-promo-superJumbo-v2.jpg?quality=90&auto=webp
Look at these fine urban commandos. It's a shame there isn't a Christian equivalent of a Jihad for them to go off to.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,808|5140|949

LARPers. I wonder if those overalls are part of the standard costume? Or the chest plate that looks about 2 sizes too small.
uziq
+199|1961
no doubt they can use all that gun practice at the range to defeat the government in glorious battle.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2020 Jeff Minard