unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6764|PNW

It's far more fun for some people to fly off the handle at a perceived slight than it is to keep their cool and get to the bottom of it first.

Get a card that says "happy holidays" or "merry xmas" and get your endorphin rush complaining about it to other like-minded individuals at the church sewing circle.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6764|PNW

Here's a small sampling for you, warman:

https://www.fluentu.com/blog/english/en … -languages

But have fun being an American who speaks English, you know.
uziq
+492|3444
don't you mean 'fægne hāligdæg'? i hope my old/middle english still stands up, it's been 10 years since i used it at university ...

why would anyone want to use a mish-mash of foreign languages in their everyday speech? 'happy holidays'? what a crude load of mish-mashed old english! are we in scandinavia or something?
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6764|PNW

Man, that war on Christmas though. Such an insult to Jesus to leave his anglicized name out of his day! Because someone like him would just love how commercialized and materialistic it is.

Think of the nice man on the cross when you open your new iphone, Billy, and remember to say thank you!
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6098|eXtreme to the maX
The French don't even have a word for entrepreneur.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
uziq
+492|3444
where's that joke from? definitely heard it before. hopefully not in a book of trump's collected quotations.

ha ha, it was GWB. stone cold classic.

Last edited by uziq (2020-01-01 05:18:35)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6764|PNW

fwiw, according to snopes (obligatory "they aren't always correct," along with bits about credibility and journalistic integrity), apparently he didn't actually say that. Or wave at Stevie Wonder?

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/french-lesson
https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/catch-the-wave

It does seem perfectly in character though. And the reporting is mixed on Stevie Wonder.
uziq
+492|3444
macbeth/americans, can i get a digest on what is going on in this tweet?

https://twitter.com/NewYork_Minutee/sta … 3160119296

so a muslim girl is playing basketball, seems pretty good. a successful, encouraging picture of assimilation.

but the comments are full of black people being openly racist about her religion and attire? making bomb jokes?

i thought black people knew racism was mean?

as a liberal who reads the economist i just don't know what to think anymore.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5350|London, England
Is this your first encounter with black twitter?
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3712

uziq wrote:

macbeth/americans, can i get a digest on what is going on in this tweet?

https://twitter.com/NewYork_Minutee/sta … 3160119296

so a muslim girl is playing basketball, seems pretty good. a successful, encouraging picture of assimilation.

but the comments are full of black people being openly racist about her religion and attire? making bomb jokes?

i thought black people knew racism was mean?

as a liberal who reads the economist i just don't know what to think anymore.
Muslim girls don't put out. They are just taking up space if they don't.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
War Man
Australians are hermaphrodites.
+563|6706|Purplicious Wisconsin

uziq wrote:

has it ever occurred to you, war man, that a lot of the world aren't american? that your religion isn't american? that for most of the history of your religion it has been followed, worshipped, celebrated, written and taught in languages that aren't american? the divinity school at harvard taught theology -- christianity -- to its students in greek and latin only 100 years ago.

so the next time someone says 'xmas', and you take it as an insult, maybe go read a fucking book instead of adopting your 'incensed redneck' persona.

and why would you use a mish-mash of languages? do you even know what modern english is? do you even know how languages work, generally? i suppose you've never met someone at a 'cafe' before? i suppose you don't listen to 'music'? a term like 'xmas' is actually a calque, where parts of the word are made from semantic borrowings from another language. here are some calques which i am sure you never, ever use:

superman
beer garden
flea market
adam's apple

who would have thought, a yung homeschooled dairy-farm boy like war man, made over into an errant young inkhorn!!!
Well aware that Christianity has foreign origins and that English is derived from multiple languages.

Still, if you are simply going to use a foreign word or letter, it is not far off from deciding to mishmash words of different languages. Of course then again, you are using the letter "X" instead of the letter "Chi" , just because they are similar looking doesn't mean they are the same. You are literally saying "ex-mas" instead of "Chi-mas" anyway.

Edit: By the way, nice of you to assume I am a dairy farm boy. Here's a hint, I am not. Even if I was, I find it stereotypical and elitist of you to assume such people are incapable of being intelligent.

Last edited by War Man (2020-01-04 05:56:52)

The irony of guns, is that they can save lives.
uziq
+492|3444
i can tell your lack of intelligence because you’re bothered by someone writing ‘xmas’, not because of your wisconsin origins.

chi isn’t pronounced ‘chi’ by the way, you ingrate. that’s the name of the character. the greek character for gamma isn’t pronounced ‘gamma’. and people saying ‘ex-mas’ is because the chi is used as an ABBREVIATION of ‘christ’. you are dumb as a bunch of rocks, war man. do you get mad when people pronounce NASA as ‘na-sa’ instead of ‘en ae ess ae’, as well?

do i need to tell you about the difference between an initialism and an acronym? people pronounce abbreviations, it isn’t blasphemy, get over it.

Still, if you are simply going to use a foreign word or letter, it is not far off from deciding to mishmash words of different languages.
also, the second half of your disputed term, which you have continually overlooked, is '-mas'. the OLD LATIN form of 'Mass'. you are an idiot.

Last edited by uziq (2020-01-04 06:37:32)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6764|PNW

War Man wrote:

Edit: By the way, nice of you to assume I am a dairy farm boy. Here's a hint, I am not. Even if I was, I find it stereotypical and elitist of you to assume such people are incapable of being intelligent.
You're not really helping break to break yourself out of that pigeon hole by getting annoyed at the word xmas. Tons of folks who share that roost get a dark look and launch into a verbal rant whenever they see it used. The kind of people who are probably part of the reason why "often offensive" is ridiculously tagged on dictionary.com. People who stereotypically fall straight into "I've listened to conservative programming exclusively since their shot in the arm by the abolishment of the Fairness Doctrine, and have internalized all their drums." Is this you?

By the way, xmas as an abbreviation is a close enough approximation (ΧX, χx). Who wants to alt code χmas every time? That kills the brevity.

And the code doesn't always work. Merry ╟mas
Steve-0
Karma limited. Contact Admin to Be Promoted.
+214|3952|SL,UT

wow, it's like old home week in here. . .
uziq
+492|3444
both xmas and christmas cash out as 'christ-mass', which, no matter which way you look at the issue, is a fucking term alluding to the (supposed) birth of a guy called jesus christ. as macbeth handily said about 4 responses ago, getting angry over a term which intrinsically designates a christian thing for being 'unchristian' is so retarded that it's not even worth thinking about.

'xmas' is not only more convenient, but it combines greek and latin, the two original languages of the bible as we know it in the west, rather than some weird transliteration. 'christmas' is like the equivalent of japanese romanji. which makes sense as i am quite sure that war man is the kind of kid who would leave a dairy farm for college and bounce straight into hentai and being a weeb.

Last edited by uziq (2020-01-04 12:50:57)

War Man
Australians are hermaphrodites.
+563|6706|Purplicious Wisconsin
Nah, I am not obsessed with Asian stuff.

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

War Man wrote:

You're not really helping break to break yourself out of that pigeon hole by getting annoyed at the word xmas. Tons of folks who share that roost get a dark look and launch into a verbal rant whenever they see it used. The kind of people who are probably part of the reason why "often offensive" is ridiculously tagged on dictionary.com. People who stereotypically fall straight into "I've listened to conservative programming exclusively since their shot in the arm by the abolishment of the Fairness Doctrine, and have internalized all their drums." Is this you?

By the way, xmas as an abbreviation is a close enough approximation (ΧX, χx). Who wants to alt code χmas every time? That kills the brevity.

And the code doesn't always work. Merry ╟mas
Just saying it is lazy, especially coming from an intellectual known for writing several long paragraphs in his posts here on whatever he is passionate about.

uziq wrote:

'xmas' is not only more convenient, but it combines greek and latin, the two original languages of the bible as we know it in the west, rather than some weird transliteration. 'christmas' is like the equivalent of japanese romanji. which makes sense as i am quite sure that war man is the kind of kid who would leave a dairy farm for college and bounce straight into hentai and being a weeb.
I guess I should start intermixing Cyrillic with Latin characters for fun, but seeing as some people can't be bothered to use the actual Greek letter and instead just use the Latin letter "x" , guess I'll just substitute Latin letters for the Cyrillic letters. Like having Bepa instead of Vera.

Or better yet, why not go 1337 5p33k b3c@u53 17 l00k5 50 c00l?

Last edited by War Man (2020-01-04 14:23:26)

The irony of guns, is that they can save lives.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6764|PNW

Steve-0 wrote:

wow, it's like old home week in here. . .
Hows that retirement condo working out for you?
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6764|PNW

War Man wrote:

Just saying it is lazy, especially coming from an intellectual known for writing several long paragraphs in his posts here on whatever he is passionate about.
How is that lazy though? He saved five characters out of a single sentence.

It's only worth getting your panties in a twist if you secretly think it's about taking the Christ from Christmas like so many born again dimwits with (to put it generously) barely a thimbleful of religious education.

Here's the cliffsnotes: https://www.dictionary.com/e/xmas-christogram

It's such a stupid gripe that a dictionary site attached an entire article to the word.

guess I'll just
Lazy of you to type "I'll" instead of "I will."

Contractions are for dumdums.
uziq
+492|3444
war man, being a pedant isn't clever, especially when it's attached to some redneck mouth-breathing 'respect mah christianity!' trope.

you were a retard in 2015 and you are a retard now.
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6677|United States of America
How could you use an x instead of chi? No one will know what you mean! Jesus, people...
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3712
Christmas is over. Start being mad about Easter or as the government calls it "Spring Break".
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6764|PNW

*Xster
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
+2,629|5780|Catherine Black
do people really get mad about people saying "nahsah"?
https://i.imgur.com/qwWEP9F.png
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3712
Obese people are disgusting. There's this guy art teacher who is obese. Sits at his desk. He can't work the room since he is too fat.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6764|PNW

fwp

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard