unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

DesertFox- wrote:

The Tech thread is the only one that's recently been having new posts in it and I don't care about that.
TBH it's hard for me to care about some of it too. It's not like I'm seeing too many titles to drive me into a new PC. Fallen Order runs great right now, and I'm pretty sure the new Doom will still look and run pretty good. Probably Mount & Blade 2 as well. If I got back into heavy PVP I'd probably pick the Renegade X community remake. Only my current desktop's age and the resultant worries about part failure is pushing the notion on me. It could all last another 10 years or it could quit tomorrow.

What I did get out of it was some promising ideation about a new Macbook Pro. I might even snag one sometime in 2020 for productivity stuff.
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6655|United States of America
I do feel I will need to purchase some sort of laptop (or... ugh, tablet) for the first time in 2020, as well. I don't believe I would opt for a Mac because I'm too unfamiliar with the operating system, but I'm sure it'd suffice for my purposes.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6076|eXtreme to the maX
Not had a laptop so far, might be picking up my sister's old Lenovo assuming the battery replacement works out.

My mother bought a top of the range HP Spectre X360, as she told the salesman "what I need is the fastest laptop", for word processing.
After four years of no use the battery is dead so I need to change that too.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
uziq
+492|3422
wtf did they do to doom? that forthcoming game looks absolutely fucking TERRIBLE. is there a single well-made AAA fps game to come out next year? they all seem to have lost that ‘smooth’ and ‘light’ movement and aiming, for lack of a better word, a sort of deftness, that you had in earlier FPS games. just tonnes of visual noise, bad animations, over the top effects and clunky gameplay. and people are buying £500 GPUs for that shit? NO T Y

the funny thing is that you can definitely find posts of me complaining about this circa. 2010 or something. even when tf2 started to fill up with superfluous item effects and serious slowdown. it’s like gamers don’t have the collective memory to summon up how good gaming felt on quake engine titles like call of duty 1/2/MW, or unreal tournament. how has a title like Doom gone from something so responsive, an extension of your nervous system, to that over-articulated mess? weren’t there a bunch of ‘cool! parkour in a game!!!’ titles like 5 years ago that crashed and burned? how is it fun to continuously be taken out of responsive play every 5 seconds for a fucking animation to execute? raaaaaaa!

Last edited by uziq (2019-12-01 02:57:39)

uziq
+492|3422

Dilbert_X wrote:

Not had a laptop so far, might be picking up my sister's old Lenovo assuming the battery replacement works out.

My mother bought a top of the range HP Spectre X360, as she told the salesman "what I need is the fastest laptop", for word processing.
After four years of no use the battery is dead so I need to change that too.
macbook air or 13” (with an external keyboard/mouse and monitor). simples. they are reliable and the OS never - never - crashes or results in bugs or troubleshooting.

this is a seriously underplayed aspect of windows vs mac that tech geeks don’t like to talk about. if you want a machine for work (as in, creative and non-technical work; i cant speak to industrial design or whatever), and if you want reliability, it’s apple/mac OS x all the way. i have had macbooks now as my workstations for over 10 years and i have never had to deal with program crashes, freezes or glitches. adobe suites, music software, video software, etc all runs way better. native programs like word processing software or media players are SO much better integrated into OS x. to not even talk about the murky soup of windows drivers (my self-built desktop even today, years after upgrading to the latest OS, can’t decide between its BIOS overclock/fan settings and an overclocking software bundled with the mobo, which apparently can’t be uninstalled or driver cleaned sufficiently in safe mode and requires a full system wipe...)

how many people have been using windows for their entire lives and still shudder whenever they have to open windows media player, or internet explorer (or whatever it is now), or when they get directed to some misbegotten MS store or Drive library? how is that acceptable? it’s so fucking shit that everyone has repressed it like a trauma. literally the first thing any self-respecting user does after a new format is ... go online to download about 10 3rd party programs. sorry, do better windows. everyone laughs about ‘apple sheep’ but being inside an app ecosystem that seamlessly ties together all of your mobile and desktop devices, all of your apps, file formats etc. is HUGELY under-rated. it just performs so much better for every day tasks. the third party apps are still there for when you actually need their features.

there is absolutely no way i would gift my grandparents a windows tablet or laptop. all of the system tech people at my publishing house use apple laptops. less time wasted with tech problems.

Last edited by uziq (2019-12-01 03:16:29)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
We had Apples to start with, a Mac Classic and an LC. The Classic was in daily use up to 2004.
For a while I needed full Office compatibility, which was tricky on a Mac for a long time, and PCs were so much cheaper.

But yes, the Macs took zero systems maintenance for more than a decade, hardware maintenance was one clock battery, while PCs are an ongoing headache.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

uziq wrote:

wtf did they do to doom? that forthcoming game looks absolutely fucking TERRIBLE. is there a single well-made AAA fps game to come out next year? they all seem to have lost that ‘smooth’ and ‘light’ movement and aiming, for lack of a better word, a sort of deftness, that you had in earlier FPS games. just tonnes of visual noise, bad animations, over the top effects and clunky gameplay. and people are buying £500 GPUs for that shit? NO T Y

the funny thing is that you can definitely find posts of me complaining about this circa. 2010 or something. even when tf2 started to fill up with superfluous item effects and serious slowdown. it’s like gamers don’t have the collective memory to summon up how good gaming felt on quake engine titles like call of duty 1/2/MW, or unreal tournament. how has a title like Doom gone from something so responsive, an extension of your nervous system, to that over-articulated mess? weren’t there a bunch of ‘cool! parkour in a game!!!’ titles like 5 years ago that crashed and burned? how is it fun to continuously be taken out of responsive play every 5 seconds for a fucking animation to execute? raaaaaaa!
The pacing of Doom has been different ever since Doom 3 was a thing. X,Z flexibility and enemy count were decreased. 2016+ at least gave us the enemy count back, but I think Doom Eternal dropped the ball in returning horizontal mobility to the game in favor of the hookshot verticality. I feel like they could have even taken a page from Titanfall's book for some wall running and given us Quake 2's mid-air mobility without overreliance on the grapple.

It's hard to say what my final impressions will be until I actually play it. But I didn't buy Doom 2016 to re-immerse myself in old school id deathmatch mayhem (I didn't see that it really gave us much of that anyway). I was more interested in the once and done campaign. Single player was really how I spent most of my time in the original Doom games.

Also, you don't have to do the sync kills at all if you don't want to. If an enemy indicates they're open for it, just shoot them in the face and move on. Same as in Brutal Doom.

Hopefully if they ever make another Quake, multiplayer will be as intuitive and immersive as the games used to be.
uziq
+492|3422
it’s sad how much they have mishandled and fucked up the quake IP. for years the best version of the game literally ran inside a web browser. i can’t even look at the latest game. it’s just so amateur and terrible.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

Everyone seems to love Q2 and Q3 Aerna, but my thing was Q1 dm/tdm/ctf with the hookshot mod. I think I jumped right into Dark Forces 2 after that. Game had an interesting vibe. A lot of people actually cooperated when two people initiated a duel, and wouldn't interfere. There were also self-appointed anti-hack hacker police who would come and eject hackers out of the map or crash their game. A well-oiled anarchy.

I kind of slipped away from the Quake franchise when Q3 didn't have a story mode. I don't even remember what was going on with Q4. Did Q2 even fit into the timeline? Who knows.

Doom 2016 does have a fitting soundtrack. I'll have to give it credit for that. But the devs made a big deal about the "glory kills." Is that the best name they could come up with at the board meeting? Didn't anyone suggest more than maybe a small handful of animations per enemy? Even if they're fast, it starts getting old the 50th time you see the same animation of a zombie being punched in the face. The grossest stuff is with the chainsaw, but you get limited uses of that. How did the effort made by the older Brutal Doom mod end up feeling way more physical and violent than an entire studio's efforts? It's sprites! Good job on scenery, though. Well optimized engine ran better on computers than Doom 3 did back in the day.

It's too bad Unreal Tournament petered out. 2k4 was a blast, and the tools that came with it were really useful and intuitive. e2: There was supposed to be a spiritual successor called Toxxic or something, but does anyone play it I wonder.

e: I wonder if the people working on Q2 RTX will realize that the game takes place on an industrial wasteland. Last time I saw a demo, it was bright light and clean air like the whole place was bombarded with detergent.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

Movie marathon the other day. Woke up in the PM thinking it was early in the AM and briefly wondering what the heck was going on.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
My parents got me a Google Pixel 3a XL for Christmas. I hate it.

The thing is for sale new on Amazon for $450. My last cellphone I bought came up to $180 in 2017. I don't want to be responsible for taking care of and watching over an expensive cellphone. Same issue with the Apple Airpods they gave me. I don't need $140 headphones when my $30 pair still works fine.

Getting a bunch of expensive things you don't want is exhausting.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Assembled and got working a speed control/soft start unit kit.
https://www.jaycar.com.au/240v-10a-moto … t/p/KC5526

Isn't compatible with the motor I planned to use it with.
uziq
+492|3422

SuperJail Warden wrote:

My parents got me a Google Pixel 3a XL for Christmas. I hate it.

The thing is for sale new on Amazon for $450. My last cellphone I bought came up to $180 in 2017. I don't want to be responsible for taking care of and watching over an expensive cellphone. Same issue with the Apple Airpods they gave me. I don't need $140 headphones when my $30 pair still works fine.

Getting a bunch of expensive things you don't want is exhausting.
the most qualified ‘first world problem’ to appear in this thread in a while. well done!
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6655|United States of America
Did you discuss the matter at all or they just picked out a phone? Also, I've never understood what people find so hard about not destroying cell phones. The only phone I killed was a flip phone in 2009 cause it was in my pocket when I went swimming.
uziq
+492|3422
the only phone i ever broke was an iphone, which i smashed on the floor in a quite spectacular fashion in the middle of waterloo station. i had been drinking whilst on very strong antibiotics. utterly insensate. you have to be that level of retard to break a phone.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

Blackberry fell off its holder and got ran over by a truck. If that hadn't happened, I'd probably still be using it (plans and device lifespan allowing). Still worked, but the screen did not.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5328|London, England
Really really doesn't surprise me that you have a phone holder
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

*had

Is that bad? It worked for the Blackberry and for what I was doing at the time (e: years ago). If I had to fish it out of my pocket every time I needed to make a call or answer one, I'd have lost minutes out of the day.
uziq
+492|3422
jay definitely has a dropkick murphys or a type o negative t-shirt. disregard him.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
Alexa play The Departed soundtrack
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

uziq wrote:

jay definitely has a dropkick murphys or a type o negative t-shirt. disregard him.
I did have a dropkick murphys shirt back in the day

Last edited by Jay (2019-12-25 13:48:54)

"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
uziq
+492|3422

Jay wrote:

uziq wrote:

I did have a dropkick murphys shirt back in the day
i don't wanna be
i don't wanna be me
i don't wanna be
me any more
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
I miss Peter Steele
-Frederick Bastiat
uziq
+492|3422
i didn't know he was dead. sepsis at 48, dang.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

Got a new work phone. Has almost as much RAM as my desktop PC …

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard