unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

I don't really set out to read a buzzfeed article, but sometimes another will lead me there. In this case:

BuzzFeed News wrote:

“If this allegation is true, then the behavior exhibited by this officer is not only wrong, but extremely disturbing, and does not align with the values we, as police officers, hold dear, and these values include respect and reverence for the deceased,” the union said in a statement. “This behavior has no place in law enforcement.”

A Police Officer Was Caught On His Body Camera Allegedly Fondling A Dead Woman's Breasts
https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/sk … gin=btm-fd
2019 dec
If legitimately the case, gross.

Scrolling to one of the comments,

Julie Henry
The police union condemned this more strongly than when their officers murder and assault actual living humans.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
Regarding the opioid epidemic

Would providing meaningful work help these people at all? Getting into a routine and keeping busy is good for people. I genuinely don't see anything wrong with people working long hours as long as they are fairly compensated.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6076|eXtreme to the maX
Does having a job make you
[ ] More inclined to smoke pot
[ ] Less inclined to smoke pot
[ ] No difference
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
No difference

But pot addiction or whatever is much more manageable then severe opioid dependence. You can't hold a job and do heroin every night.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
What are you talking about, Sherlock Holmes did alright off his face on morphine.
uziq
+492|3422
actually a good number of people do precisely that. not talking about painkillers or abusing prescriptions but opium, a lot of people take it once a month or so and hold down a job.

not for me, it’s an absolute no-no.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

Whoah

uziq
+492|3422
old nuwsz
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

Yeah, old clip. Funny how it got to spring up again though.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

ANTI-VAXXERS REFUSE TO LEAVE NJ TRANSIT MEETING DESPITE BEING TOLD THEY'RE PROTESTING IN WRONG PLACE
https://www.newsweek.com/anti-vaxxers-r … ce-1477063

Huh.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
Is this classism? Is it justified classism?

There is a meme among Americans that Target is a more classy place to shop than Walmart. Is that true or is this just an example of poor Americans punching down on poorer Americans?

What I mean is that both stores just move a lot of cheap Chinese products. If you are interested in genuinely high quality luxury products, you should shop retailers and manufacturers that specialize in that type of product. A Mr. Coffee machine from Target is just as lowbrow as a Mr. Coffee machine from Walmart compared to a $400 coffee maker. Am I wrong here?
uziq
+492|3422
you are not.
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6654|United States of America
I think it's an offshoot from the People of Walmart trend a few years ago. The implication being that Walmart people are more likely to be trashy meth-heads. There's probably not much merit to it, cause like you said, you gotta get your cheap crap from somewhere.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

SuperJail Warden wrote:

genuinely high quality luxury products
Most of this stuff is also shit, made in the same factory with a different label on the front.
Smeg ovens for example are just shit with double the price tag.

As far as clothes go Target (pron: tarjay) Australia is better than Kmart Australia, although they have the same parent company.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2019-12-19 15:56:47)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

DesertFox- wrote:

I think it's an offshoot from the People of Walmart trend a few years ago. The implication being that Walmart people are more likely to be trashy meth-heads. There's probably not much merit to it, cause like you said, you gotta get your cheap crap from somewhere.
I've shopped at both chains in different locations. Both have their share of Jerry Springer weirdness. Both are usually sane experiences, more or less. One sometimes has more body odor wafting about than the other. You can see the same sort of stuff at grocery chains. Shop when it's crowded if you want people open-mouth coughing onto your back at the checkout line. Bleh.

Dilbert_X wrote:

As far as clothes go Target (pron: tarjay) Australia is better than Kmart Australia, although they have the same parent company.
Sooo many derelict Kmarts. Spooky stuff.
uziq
+492|3422
i feel really bad for anyone who is buying polyester clothes from bargain stores like target or kmart in middle-age.

be nice to your body and stop dressing in non-breathable, poorly fitting trash.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Most of the outfits I buy are 100% cotton and fit great.
uziq
+492|3422
i couldn't imagine wearing target clothes in australia. christ. the heat.

that comment was a response to the joke video, not some sub-tweet at you.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Target Australia is a wholly different company.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Target_Australia
uziq
+492|3422
you get what you pay for. budget clothes are budget clothes. this cannot be news to a grown man.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
My fellow LARPers care not what I wear out of character.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6602|949

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Is this classism? Is it justified classism?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont … mzwJ8l3OjQ
There is a meme among Americans that Target is a more classy place to shop than Walmart. Is that true or is this just an example of poor Americans punching down on poorer Americans?

What I mean is that both stores just move a lot of cheap Chinese products. If you are interested in genuinely high quality luxury products, you should shop retailers and manufacturers that specialize in that type of product. A Mr. Coffee machine from Target is just as lowbrow as a Mr. Coffee machine from Walmart compared to a $400 coffee maker. Am I wrong here?
i wouldn't say classier, but there is a difference in the corporate image, hiring practices and store execution of both, which i think bleeds over in to the clientele that both attract.

Generally you don't see haphazard displays or goods all over the place at Target like you do at Walmart.  I suspect (but don't care enough to look for evidence) that Target pays better and has higher standards regarding employment and quality of service, and pays a little more attention to the geographic location of their stores, which in turn dictates the consumers who shop there.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

uziq wrote:

i feel really bad for anyone who is buying polyester clothes from bargain stores like target or kmart in middle-age.

be nice to your body and stop dressing in non-breathable, poorly fitting trash.
You barely save anything on some brands anyway, and the really cheap stuff doesn't tend to last. Waste of closet space. I try not to hold it against people who shop where they can afford, though. Second-hand included.

I tend to buy a lot from sports stores. Spend a lot of time outdoors or driving during the summer, so it's nice to invest a bit more into UPF in conjunction with sunscreen. On the flip side, sometimes I look like I'm about to go fly fishing when I'm not. Or fool myself into planning on skiing again "next winter" when I pass the snow sports sections, but end up not (e: I really want to try the Whistler resort one of these days; I've only been to Crystal & Snoqualmie that I can remember). Would like to dig out my parabolic skis and get them rehabbed.
uziq
+492|3422
a lot of second hand clothes are vastly better than buying new, disposable trash from the far-east that is (a) terrible for the environment and (b) costing some child his third finger. 'fast fashion' and dead-cheap stuff like ASOS, H&M/Topshop, supermarket brands, etc. are an absolute blight and shouldn't even exist. even poor people like a hundred years ago at least had one set of good clothes that they just wore all the time. people clothing themselves in garish wardrobes of sub-$30 plastics is fucking gross.

what was that huge MLM scheme that was big with unemployed mums in arkansas a few years ago? some huge ponzi scheme that thrived on facebook? i can't recall the name. a bunch of hicks buying in huge wardrobes of plastic clothing, printed tights/leggings, etc. and selling them out of their living room. jesus fuck. i don't think there has ever been an uglier civilisation in the history of mankind than modern america. even fucking serfs in the middle-ages had bespoke tailoring.

Last edited by uziq (2019-12-20 10:34:40)

KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6602|949

Whistler is amazing. I was there summer 2018 (not winter) and it was beautiful. I can only imagine how incredible it is in the winter. Although I've also heard the room rates are like +$450/night in the peak season.

One thing that stood out - all the service staff EVERYWHERE is from the commonwealth. Mostly Aussies, but met a few English bartenders too.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard