uziq
+492|3422
thanks for the RAID breakdown. been a while. i think raid1 is the best for me. 4-bay NAS, which makes sense for businesses or professionals, i guess, seems sort of overkill. if both drives on the RAID fail and take out the entire back-up, plus all the other disparate drives/externals which i'm copying the media from, then i guess i'm fucked anyway. that'll be god's way of telling me to give up my cherished collection and go listen to Girls Aloud for the rest of eternity.

SuperJail Warden wrote:

One of the tech YouTubers, maybe Linus, had a video about one of these. It was a major issue when the power supply for the thing died and they were unable to get the data off of it.
even though the SATA drives are fully removable? are they stuck with its formatting system, or something? care to dig up the video?

just googled it. apparently

Your data is easily accessible without a Synology chassis.  Take the drives out, connect them to another machine (order doesn't even matter), and boot Ubuntu from a USB stick.  You can then mount the array and copy all your data off.  Synology has a knowledge base article on their website with all the details.  (Under the hood, the array is just standard Linux stuff...  mdraid and LVM2.)
it turns out these are one of the only brands whose stuff isn't proprietary. not that i even hope it gets to that. if i had good linux knowledge i'd just be cobbling together my own server.

w/r/t cloud storage, i really don't fancy the long-term costs or implications of downloading/uploading 2tb of media files from the internet. may as well just give in and get spotify or apple music.

Last edited by uziq (2019-12-02 08:06:54)

SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689

uziq wrote:

thanks for the RAID breakdown. been a while. i think raid1 is the best for me. 4-bay NAS, which makes sense for businesses or professionals, i guess, seems sort of overkill. if both drives on the RAID fail and take out the entire back-up, plus all the other disparate drives/externals which i'm copying the media from, then i guess i'm fucked anyway. that'll be god's way of telling me to give up my cherished collection and go listen to Girls Aloud for the rest of eternity.

SuperJail Warden wrote:

One of the tech YouTubers, maybe Linus, had a video about one of these. It was a major issue when the power supply for the thing died and they were unable to get the data off of it.
even though the SATA drives are fully removable? are they stuck with its formatting system, or something? care to dig up the video?

just googled it. apparently

Your data is easily accessible without a Synology chassis.  Take the drives out, connect them to another machine (order doesn't even matter), and boot Ubuntu from a USB stick.  You can then mount the array and copy all your data off.  Synology has a knowledge base article on their website with all the details.  (Under the hood, the array is just standard Linux stuff...  mdraid and LVM2.)
it turns out these are one of the only brands whose stuff isn't proprietary. not that i even hope it gets to that. if i had good linux knowledge i'd just be cobbling together my own server.

w/r/t cloud storage, i really don't fancy the long-term costs or implications of downloading/uploading 2tb of media files from the internet. may as well just give in and get spotify or apple music.
I misremembered it. It wasn't Linus but instead Gamer Nexus. He had two of the same brand fail on him

https://youtu.be/t_P203uaAkU

https://youtu.be/K7ly8zde3dE
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
uziq
+492|3422
yeah i pulled the same info from the comments. cheers for pointing it out. seems he was being a chud about it. he stated they are proprietary and it would be a huge nightmare to fix them, but it's literally not. good to think about, though. considering the back-up/recovery option for the back-up is a bit of a barber's paradox situation.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6602|949

RAID 1 should work for you. Synology makes good products. They do media streaming fairly well too, for an all-in-one solution. Only thing you are going to run in to is the same storage issues as before as your music/media collection grows.
uziq
+492|3422
that's true, it's never going to stop. but 4Tb is a lot of lossy music. and at least i can just buy 2 fairly affordable sata-2 drives and only have to worry about transferring the image to one (the other being automatically cloned, i take it).

itunes home sharing is great for playing music between devices, so that, for example, i can always be playing music from my studio monitors or hi-fi speakers at any given moment, even if the computer with the hard-drive on it is a gaming tower gathering dust in the bedroom. but it obviously requires the device to be on and with iTunes open. it's just going to be so much easier having it all in one place in a device that is always on and accessible.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

I think you should be able to run two drives in a Synology NAS with unfilled bays. If I was building today, I'd probably start myself with 2x10TB in RAID 1. Room to rebuild the array as 10 or 5 later on for additional capacity.

Lots of folks I bring it up with seem to scoff at the notion of having more than 4TB. I dunno, I'm constantly shuffling games and apps in and out of installation just to make room for media raws and local backups (of which I recently cleared 1TB, thanks Windows 10). Not exactly the best thing for a drive's lifespan.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6076|eXtreme to the maX

uziq wrote:

Would that be so bad?

The century started badly with the producers behind Girls Aloud declining to work with Atomic Kitten - that could really have been something, now we'll never know.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2019-12-02 19:11:20)

Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

Cyber Monday. Two of these:

Seagate BarraCuda Pro 10TB Internal Hard Drive Performance HDD – 3.5 Inch SATA 6 Gb/s 7200 RPM 256MB Cache for Computer Desktop PC Laptop, Data Recovery – Frustration Free Packaging (ST10000DM0004)
https://www.amazon.com/Seagate-BarraCud … B07H1VZ44S

I figure on using one for gaming, one for productivity. Later, I might set them up in a RAID configuration. About $100 off per item, making it pretty nice bang-for-the-buck as far as $/TB goes. As a bonus, Amazon pointed out the newer model for the same price whereas newegg did not. Currently a lot of stuff is out of stock until mid Dec. Not a huge surprise, gotta hit CM in the morning.

tl;dr: could be in tech thread:

I still plan to build a new PC, but it might be put off to Christmas sales or early 2020. That'll give me a chance to re-review AMD vs. Intel, and Asrock vs. MSI vs. Gigabyte vs. Asus without time pressure. Before it was down to Gigabyte vs. Asrock in the $150 - $280 range.

I will be picking up a 2060 Super or 2070 Super later next week, fitting my profile of replacing a video card every other generation. Can be swapped into a new build. Funnily enough, Best Buy does have the best buy on the version I want (they also tend to be fair on Founder's Edition pricing). Out of stock with no word on resupply, of course. Available on newegg for about the same price as amazon (temporarily out of stock).

Nemix (sometimes found in third party Mac upgrades I hear) has some nice DDR3 RAM that might be compatible with my current motherboard. I could conceivably get better timings, frequency, and double my current rig's RAM to 32GB for $100, but the motherboard is aged and the CPU bottleneck would still stick out like a sore thumb.
uziq
+492|3422

Dilbert_X wrote:

uziq wrote:

Would that be so bad?

The century started badly with the producers behind Girls Aloud declining to work with Atomic Kitten - that could really have been something, now we'll never know.
jesus do you have the biography on your bedside table or something?

Cyber Monday. Two of these
jeez, there's a name i haven't heard in about 10 years - the barracuda. good to see they're still going. they always connoted 'leet' in my pre-SSD gaming days.

it's also good to see GPU prices coming down somewhat. i could almost be tempted into a razr core eGPU chassis and something like a mid-range VEGA. i swear that even a year ago the chassis alone cost $600. ridiculous.

i've spent in the last month about as much on tech as i've spent in the last 10 years. it's always this way with me. i pooter along with mid-range hardware for an age and then go for the deep-invest and switcheroo to set-up the next decade. hopefully the laptop, monitor, sound card, NAS etc all have serious future-proofing.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

The 2070 Super is supposed to be a pretty sweet spot at the moment. $500 once again for an upper mid-range card? Yes please.

I remember people poking fun at Seagate because it isn't WD. I've often moved back and forth between WD and this brand, just whatever's the neatest at the time. Spent about as much on the 10TB pair as I could have on a single 4TB SSD. I might repurpose my relatively new 500GB SSD for an OS/basic app drive when it comes time for a new PC.

I love this blurb on the EVGA website:

EVGA Step-Up® - Upgrade program
The EVGA Step-Up program helps you have the peace of mind to purchase your favorite product now, knowing you can upgrade to the latest parts that come out within the first 90 days from your purchase. In the computer hardware world, 90 days is a lifetime!
Sure, new generations of NVIDIA cards hit the consumer market every few months. Like, I can't wait for the RTX 4080 coming next July.
uziq
+492|3422
i wish most tech companies offered that policy tbh. imagine having bought a 15" MacBook pro in october. without announcement or fanfare, apple drops one that is 2-3x better for the same price. i mean, you still have an extremely nice laptop (as you'd still have a very capable GPU) -- but it does sting a little. those policies are probably only useful for about 3% of people but it does ensure brand loyalty.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
GPU prices are still inflated and I refuse to adjust to this new normal while the price of all other computer components are getting cheaper and advancing quicker.

$500 used to get you the most advanced card on the market a little over a decade ago. Now Nvidia is launching their top tier cards with MSRPs in the thousands.

And graphics don't even look that much better nowadays anyway.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

uziq wrote:

i wish most tech companies offered that policy tbh. imagine having bought a 15" MacBook pro in october. without announcement or fanfare, apple drops one that is 2-3x better for the same price. i mean, you still have an extremely nice laptop (as you'd still have a very capable GPU) -- but it does sting a little. those policies are probably only useful for about 3% of people but it does ensure brand loyalty.
Same. It just feels like they're overrepresenting the step up a bit in tone. But yes, it would help with other companies. Like intel and its hastily deployed 10th-gen.
uziq
+492|3422

SuperJail Warden wrote:

GPU prices are still inflated and I refuse to adjust to this new normal while the price of all other computer components are getting cheaper and advancing quicker.

$500 used to get you the most advanced card on the market a little over a decade ago. Now Nvidia is launching their top tier cards with MSRPs in the thousands.

i can totally agree with that. i've only ever shopped around for mid-range/performance cards since, like, the 8800GTX era. the improvement in graphics/aliasing/fancy effects just aren't worth it.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

SuperJail Warden wrote:

I think some 6800 Ultras were pushing $700, but I could be misremembering.

But yeah, the 2080 Ti's currently seem to be sharing the same bracket you'd expect for higher end workstation cards. It almost feels like the current top end gaming cards are in a new date-to-performance category than what nvidia used to have, though I don't have the numbers to prove that or anything. Just a gut impression from having upgraded regularly over the years.

uziq wrote:

the improvement in graphics/aliasing/fancy effects just aren't worth it.
There's also the issue of some PC games just not being all that well optimized. "Hey, you can set aa to max now! You're still going to turn it off because it looks awful, or your game is memory leaking past 10GB."
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689

uziq wrote:

SuperJail Warden wrote:

i can totally agree with that. i've only ever shopped around for mid-range/performance cards since, like, the 8800GTX era. the improvement in graphics/aliasing/fancy effects just aren't worth it.
When I wrote that post I was specifically remembering the 8800 GTX that launched for $599. A little over a year later you got the 9800 GX2 which was two 8800 GTXs slapped together for the same price as a single 8800 GTX.

That's good value and gains that a new generation of consumers will not ever know existed. I am really hoping Intel's new GPUs change the market to closer to how things were.
uziq
+492|3422
i had a 8800GTX and won another at a LAN tournament. i ran them in SLI until about ... 2011. then i got a mid-range ATI card. i haven't had a top-end graphics card since, like, BF2 era. pretty sure that same machine had a Q6600, pretty much the first widely available and decent quad core processor ever.

now, a real piece of tech was the ATI x800XT, paired with an AMD 64 ...
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
Another big problem with GPUs is that there is no easy way to measure or understand their power. So purchasing a new one requires research so that you don't accidentally get tricked into buying a 5% performance increase for $599.

With CPUs you have cores and clock speed as easy enough measures. More cores and higher clock speeds are better duh. Meanwhile Nvidia and AMD both use different terminology and measurements which makes it probably purposely hard to understand. Nvidia has CUDA cores and AMD has Stream Processors. I don't feel like spending time reading articles about which one is better or how many it takes to see improvements from generation to generation.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

But it's not that clear cut with CPUs. Are you going to prioritize core count or frequency? Is hyperthreading important to you? Wading through all the marketing terms. i5, i7, i9? What's a Threadripper? Which socket? Which socket variant? Which generation are we on? What about the perpetual Intel vs. AMD question? Which iteration are you buying? Are there any notable issues, bottlenecks, or security problems? Which after-market cooler do you want to use?

At least a CPU well-chosen can easily last a build's lifetime.
uziq
+492|3422
you say that but frustratingly the biggest choke point for performance seems to be games that are still hugely dependent on single core frequency. you can have the best 8-core processor on the market and still come up against a game that is horribly optimised for multi-core. which also affects your nifty GPU, too.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
Crysis still runs like shit on modern hardware because it was optimized for clock speeds and not multicore systems despite quadcores already being on the market in 2008.
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
+2,629|5758|Catherine Black

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Another big problem with GPUs is that there is no easy way to measure or understand their power.
https://i.imgur.com/bAjETns.png
https://i.imgur.com/qwWEP9F.png
uziq
+492|3422
i mean, yeah, within about 3 hours of a new graphics card hitting the market there are dozens of 3dmark scores and other benchmarks online. you can directly compare them to other GPUs. you don’t need to understand *how* a GPU’s architecture works to make an informed decision as a consumer.

though i agree that both nvidia and AMD have in their own separate ways truly borked their nomenclature. you can’t figure out anything from the names anymore, all logic has been abandoned. a bit like when apple jumped to the ‘iphone x’ or comic book franchise a-b-c decided to do a prequel saga or something. is an AMD vega 64 meant to be better or worse than an RX-whatever? i get 1050, 1060, 1080, etc. ... but where does a titan go? ffs
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
The fact that you have to hunt down 3dmark scores is the problem.

Last edited by SuperJail Warden (2019-12-05 14:36:09)

uziq
+492|3422
not really. lots of hardware drivers come bundled with benchmark tools that you can run and see for yourself. the mac comes pre-installed with some black something or other utility that’ll tell you the read/write speeds.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard