Announcement

Join us on Discord: https://discord.gg/nf43FxS
Discuss.
unnamednewbie13
+1,749|5143|USA

Did you try a fresh install, or was it one of those free upgrade packages for testers?
uziq
+169|1823

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Uzi wrote:

i guess there's the AMD ryzen stuff ... meh, good luck with that. don't know enough about it.
The Ryzen CPUs are the best on the market right now and they have a few more lined up to be released. There has been major gains in the last few years from AMD.
i can’t trust a company that still brands their gear with product names befitting 2002 energy drinks. ‘ryzen’, what the fuck. i can smell the adolescent BO and see the mountain dew bottles stacked full of piss from here. hard pass.

windows 10 runs completely fine on my i5 760. great job AMD.

Last edited by uziq (2019-10-24 11:39:05)

uziq
+169|1823

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

@uziq That's why I attached the caveat of "depending on your demands." After looking into it, if the Quadro still meets them, dandy. I didn't say it wasn't viable or that it was due for the rust heap at all. It was an afterthought. Did you miss the part where I linked to Windows 10 viable drivers? I ran a GeForce 4 in one of my old work computers until it stopped functioning. It was good enough.

I play on both pc & console. I won't deny that PC games are in a bad place, but console games aren't above being buggy messes. You can find hilarious glitch compilations on youtube.

Also I don't really get shaming people for wanting to run their favorite old game with detail mods, and better textures/shaders. If someone wants to throw money into that so they can get better frames, who cares.

-

If I was building a computer specifically for gaming, it would barely be at $1k. But I have a workload that involves some photo manipulation and video editing, so I don't mind throwing more into it than that.
i’m not hating on you playing skyrim with mods. you do you. i am after all playing an updated WoW and (for once) enjoying the shit out of it. my point was that experience really isn’t worth 2019 new build money imho.

i wouldn’t mind a new generation CPU but for purposes of audio processing in DAWs.
SuperJail Warden
+197|2091

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Did you try a fresh install, or was it one of those free upgrade packages for testers?
Forced upgrade. I did a fresh install of Win 10 on a PC I planned to triple boot Win 7, 10, and Linux. The Win 10 would blue screen in the middle of games. The whole Win 10 boot got corrupted after like a week and won't load. The Win 7 runs like a champ though. Never a BSoD or anything.
unnamednewbie13
+1,749|5143|USA

uziq wrote:

i’m not hating on you playing skyrim with mods. you do you. i am after all playing an updated WoW and (for once) enjoying the shit out of it. my point was that experience really isn’t worth 2019 new build money imho.

i wouldn’t mind a new generation CPU but for purposes of audio processing in DAWs.
I agree. For me, it really isn't. And it hasn't been for a long time. It's the reason I've been on this old platform for so long. If it weren't for component age tickling my subconscious, I'd be fine with keeping my 2600k platform as my primary until circumstances change. I could just see going so far as to update the memory only for the motherboard or CPU to fail.

imo PCs are still on the stepping stone to 4k gaming with not a lot of super attractive 4k titles for me, and the 2080 ti card required to run that well is probably just more than a 4k screen and console combined. Meanwhile there's an 8k display at the local best buy which looks amazing, so there's that to keep an eye on.

I can't really get back into Skyrim. There's that bethesda/westeRPG syndrome of getting distracted by side quests and never finishing the story. It does look amazingly updated with mods, though. Mostly I've been working my way through some of the Assassin's Creed and Far Cry titles while I wait for Doom Eternal.

If arenanet had something a 'Guild Wars Classic' rerelease, I'd probably dive back into that for awhile.
SuperJail Warden
+197|2091
You should play a tale of two wastelands
unnamednewbie13
+1,749|5143|USA

I should give that a look, thanks for reminding me.
Somendes
Post limited. Contact Admin to Be Promoted.
+0|17
After playing Cosmic Star Heroine on Vita and the mobile version of Apknite, I want to play more. So I am looking for some short RPGs (action or traditional) - 3DS/DS or Vita/PSP, games sub 25/30 hours that are really worthwhile. I know these consoles have many long great games, but I am looking for some shorter options.
unnamednewbie13
+1,749|5143|USA

I'll bite.

I think the question is too broad. Rather than a potential back and forth, it might be faster to check with some of the "top short rpg" lists for these platforms. Maybe dig into some older titles as well.

Keeping in mind that the guys behind CSH (which I haven't played) also built Breath of Death VII and Cthulhu Saves the World (which I have):

@ 50 games like: https://www.50gameslike.com/games-like/ … ar-heroine

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2019 Jeff Minard