uziq
+492|3423
the media are really not gonna be satisfied until someone at least loses an eye over this joker thing. talk about the powers of suggestion. it’s a done deal. somebody gotta fall over this bad and tasteless movie !!!
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6077|eXtreme to the maX
Apparently they specifically chose a Gary Glitter song for the soundtrack knowing he'll earn thousands in royalties.

There's being a bit edgy, and then there's promoting and paying a paedophile.

On that basis I think I won't watch it.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

I feel like the trailer pretty much covered it for me, so I'm good.

e: Read about the two minute Gary Glitter bit. There's no way the filmmakers were unaware of what they were doing. Seems like trolling to me.
e2: Articles about audience members walking out of showings because of the "glorification of violence." WTF movie did they think they were seeing? Does it actually glorify violence, or merely depict it? Does James Bond glorify violence when he cleanly executes the villain? Maybe walk out of that. Makes for a smug tweet, I guess.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
You guys should see the movie before you judge it. The trailers and internet commentary from people who didn't see it didn't do it justice. It really doesn't encourage incel violence or white male rage like people including me thought it would. The only group that is vilified and has any anger directed at them is rich men. The movie is a great look at the failure of the wealthy to provide for it's worse citizens.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

I think I'd rather wait for it on disc when I'd at least have the option to skip Joaquin Phoenix dancing around to a pedophile's tune for an awkward two minutes or so. The trailer actually looked ok, but now that it's out I just don't feel the motivation to go buy a ticket.

From RT, lukewarm reviews. Lots of weirdly political commentary on it though. It's a comic book movie.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6603|949

I watched Toy Story 4 the other day.  It was pretty good. Forky was a good addition. 7/10
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5329|London, England
Is that the one at the day care?
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

I remember the daycare one from forever ago, so I don't think so?
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6603|949

the movie starts out with Bonnie going to day care, but then they get lost and try to find their way back.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690

Fine, I will see it. There was one youtube comment I thought was interesting "I still don't know what this trilogy is about". I thought about it for a second and I am not sure I know what the other two were about either. The eternal struggle between good and evil but in space? Okay. Lucas was obviously making up the first trilogy as he went. The best narrative of the second trilogy (The Jedi Order and Republic being ineffectual institutions unable to meet new challenges due to dogmatic beliefs) probably wasn't George's intention.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

I love all this talk about "subverting expectations" but the trailers still give away so many details. Lacing them all together, I don't even need to watch 7-9 to get the idea.

It's not that I'm setting the bar too high. I already know what to expect, and am mostly in it for the visuals, soundtrack, and nostalgia. I'll probably end up seeing it on my birthday.
War Man
Australians are hermaphrodites.
+563|6684|Purplicious Wisconsin
I am pretty much done with star wars. I am willing to give the bounty hunter series as well as the new clone wars season a watch, but that is it.
The irony of guns, is that they can save lives.
coke
Aye up duck!
+440|6680|England. Stoke
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
I'm not too interested in the whining of Martin Scorcese and Francis Ford Coppola - two scumbags who made their careers romanticising bloody and vicious criminality.

How many dickheads have been inspired to take up a life of murder and thuggery by those two?
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

In regard to comic book movies?
uziq
+492|3423

Dilbert_X wrote:

I'm not too interested in the whining of Martin Scorcese and Francis Ford Coppola - two scumbags who made their careers romanticising bloody and vicious criminality.

How many dickheads have been inspired to take up a life of murder and thuggery by those two?
lmao

i'm sure lots of kids are inspired to take up a life of lycra-clad crime fighting by your man-baby compensatory fantasy movies.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
I somehow doubt it.
uziq
+492|3423

quite a spectacle.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
The Irishman: 7/10

Martin Scorsese's probably last mafia movie. I scored it as a 8 out of 10 but the more I thought about what to post here about it, the worse the movie seems.

First off it's three and a half hours long. It felt like a chore to finish it. I was really high when I watched it which you think would help but it didn't. I still felt I could be doing something more fun. The fact that we already know how Jimmy H. disappeared may have made the runtime feel worse too.

Secondly, the de-aging stuff was very distracting. So they de-aged Robert D.'s face but kept his body. So you have a young face being moved around by an old body. They should have just hired a younger actor to do the flashbacks.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

I saw an article that detailed how to watch the thing as a four-part miniseries. I guess it helps if you don't have an entire evening to blow, but I've sat through longer. Probably also helps if you're a fan of the genre. The little bits of captioned trivia I've heard were stapled onto characters as they're introduced would undoubtedly impress certain types of individuals.

e: For some reason, your description of De Niro is making me visualize Gollum.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
IIRC Netflix actually said that most people didn't finish it in one sitting but eventually did.

The captioned heads like in the minor spoiler link below was interesting though I admit I read about them in a review beforehand so I was less impressed when I was saw it on screen. I also was somewhat familiar with the subject beforehand already knew how some of the people depicted in the movie died.
https://youtu.be/phB_NxQ31hQ?t=103

Also the movie is Fake news. The person depicted in it was a liar or at least lied about who he killed according to mob historians.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
The new Star Wars movie is getting bad reviews. Liberal sites are upset that Star Wars "gave in" to the demands of the toxic online community. Conservative sites still panned the movie because it is impossible to ever placate them once they are triggered.

I don't plan to go see it and instead just listened to a summary of what happens on YouTube. It sounds awful but maybe it shows better on screen.
uziq
+492|3423
i would also give the irishman a solid 7/10. it was unexceptional, considering the cast and direction.

it was far too long (most obviously), and needed editing. i was really tired of scorsese's 'wise guy' schtick, where every single conversation was mirrored back-and-forth about 13 times before the cut. WE GET IT, that's how gangsters talk. they repeat one another. but by hour 3 or whatever i was begging for it to stop; it came across like a bad drama school 'mirroring exercise'.

'i said that's where we're at'
'right, that's where we're at'.
'it's just where we're at, y'know'
'well if that's where you're at'

FFS make it stop. i understand some movies have pacing issues and suffer from too much plotting: this was more a case of the movie being slurred and dragged around for a conversational tic.

de niro looked ridiculous as a younger man (check his few action scenes with violence; weird to see a guy with a de-aged 40-year-old face struggling to lay a kicking into a guy on the kerb, for fear of dislocating a hip or whatever) and slightly hammy as an older man (all the stuttering and bumbling). other characters in the movie who had generation-spanning roles were played by multiple actors (e.g. deniro's daughters), but for some reason you have to put up with some 'uncanny valley' effect with the main character for the whole film. hoffa's character was a parody. i mean, i'm sure hoffa himself was in many ways a parodic being, but the motivations and absolute one-dimensionality of the hoffa character in the film were unfortunate. it just came across as funny, and not in a good way. it didn't help that al pacino had the hair of nicolas cage in that 'my hair is a bird' meme.

joe pesci was very good.

not sure what the hype is, to be honest. a pretence at grandiosity and epic scale doesn't automatically make a 'career-summing movie'.

Last edited by uziq (2019-12-18 08:32:44)

SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
I liked Al's Hoffa. I never saw the Jack N. Hoffa to compare. I think Al has a lot more to be proud of regarding this movie then Rob D. and Martin S.

Then again Al P. is my favorite actor so I might just be bias.
uziq
+492|3423
the whole ‘my union’ is very daniel plainview’s ‘my milkshake’. more of a mythical than a real human being.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard